• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recent PS4 SDK update unlocked 7th CPU core for gaming

onQ123

Sounds good, but I doubt devs were making fantastic use of 6 cores. Multithreading games is tricky, single-core performance is still what matters most.

Having a CPU that's significantly worse than what's in today's cellphones is a "beast" now?

What cellphone do you have that has a better CPU than PS4?

FranXico

im happy, but i also enjoy the super snappy os. i hope the os is still super snappy!!

Well, I already notice varying home screen performance depending on which game I run.

For example, when I'm playing Arkham Knight or MGSV, I notice that the home screen runs quite a bit more sluggish. Not so with other games.

All that power

bab2024634d39ec18cee88067b1cc265e0fe84af_hq.gif

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I still wonder what the arm chip amd 256mb of lddr ram supposed to do in ps4

That thing is just weird. It was supposed to handle background downloads. But then it turned out too be to weak even for that. How can you find a processor with 256MB RAM that cannot even handle a HTTP download. As a result, the APU has to run with the fan running at low RPMs for background downloads of games and patches.

mcw

I think it's disingenuous to say MS boasted of the 7th core in order to gain good PR. Reports/leaks based on SDK documentation from last year are where news outlets got the story of the 7th core on Xbox One, not from MS themselves. It wasn't the grand PR move you're trying assert.

This generation is pretty weird, yeah. Everything gets a PC version and sites exist dedicated to testing the console versions in depth to see how they compare to the PC version. Games and game consoles have never been under such widespread scrutiny.

omonimo

Banned
Sounds good, but I doubt devs were making fantastic use of 6 cores. Multithreading games is tricky, single-core performance is still what matters most.

Having a CPU that's significantly worse than what's in today's cellphones is a "beast" now?
You missed completely the sarcasm and I found the comparison really stupid.

SURGEdude

What cellphone do you have that has a better CPU than PS4?

Yeah that's not my read. The only thing I imagine that's comparable is the iPad Pro, Air 2, and The nVidia K1/X1. But those have a lot bigger form factor to dissipate heat and provide for a larger chipset and battery to power it. Not to mention I'd imagine the costs are much higher though I'm too lazy to check out and compare teardowns. Even then I'd imagine they would drop off quickly once they throttle down what with being passively cooled and all.

Note 6 has a 1.9GHz processor. PS4 only has 1.7ghz

My old Pentium 4 from 2004 is more powerful then the PS4 CPU.

This is totally how CPU's work right?

yes but the Pentium is only a single core n? PS4 has 8 cores in tandem. But your phone definitely outclasses it and future phones will at least be 2x-5x more powerful before even mid-gen.

danowat

Banned
What do they have to gain by locking cores away at launch? Why not have all the sauce available from day one?

It's like selling a V8 car that's only running on 7 cylinders.

c0de

What do they have to gain by locking cores away at launch? Why not have all the sauce available from day one?

It is called playing safe. This just means that the software ripes when it arrives at the customer. Optimizing the os and other software can happen later but at first you have to offer a working system.

Wait, what? So the per core power is twice what the jaguar is capable of? I mean yes, the cores are shit but not that bad.
Any proof for this?

Going off of geekbench which isn't the end-all obviously, but yeah Jaguar was a decently impressive mobile cpu architecture in 2013 and Twister is a really impressive mobile cpu architecture in 2015.

viHuGi

Banned
Cool devs now have more 1.6ghz to play with.

Will help more games achieving solid 30/60fps in the future.

Good stuff and since cpu and gpu are unified with Ram now they can save more gpu i guess.

bombshell

Oh snap, this should help open world games performance wise. It will help in other ways as well, of course.

Batman Arkham Knight
Witcher 3 (after latest patch)
Assassin's Creed Syndicate

All already running with better framerate on PS4, so I'm not sure why it needed any help for open worlds in the first place.

SURGEdude

yes but the Pentium is only a single core n? PS4 has 8 cores in tandem. But your phone definitely outclasses it and future phones will at least be 2x-5x more powerful before even mid-gen.

The IPC is totally different so Ghz values aren't really relevant when comparing across different chip architectures. Especially designs that are separated by more than a decade of efficiencies and manufacturing advancement. Comparing an early 2000s CPU to anything sold today by using that metric is about rational as arguing that my cordless home phone is faster than the PS4 because it transmits on the 2.4Ghz spectrum.

Ok... not quite that bad... but still :)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Uh...they aren't just 'locking away' cores. They were allocated toward OS just incase they needed them. You don't just get resources from nothing. Optimization is shuffling things around, removing and streamlining.

For PS4's CPU, they just moved the one of the CPU cores dedicated to OS to gaming instead.

Is it 100% of the core? That would be better utilization than MS's seventh core, which is only partially available, although clocked slightly higher. Although i think the partial utilization was due to the snap and kinect functions, whereas Sony has no such functions to hold back 100% utilization

I am sure that will happen eventually but its probably near the bottom of the list.

The amount of memory is near the least of the issues with the new consoles.

You can never have enough memory. Especially for a closed platform, where you know exactly how much you can use. And even more so when it's graphics memory.

c0de

Going off of geekbench which isn't the end-all obviously, but yeah Jaguar was a decently impressive mobile cpu architecture in 2013 and Twister is a really impressive mobile cpu architecture in 2015.

Again, I want to see actual data. There has to be something wrong, no matter how impressive the twister is.

c0de

Batman Arkham Knight
Witcher 3 (after latest patch)
Assassin's Creed Syndicate

All already running with better framerate on PS4, so I'm not sure why it needed any help for open worlds in the first place.

Why thinking competitive? Better doesn't mean good. AC still still drops, doesn't it?

chadskin

Again, I want to see actual data. There has to be something wrong, no matter how impressive the twister is.

The A4-5100 has 2MB L2 cache and runs at 1.55 GHz, the PS4 has 2MB L2 cache (x2 between the 2 4core modules) and runs at 1.6GHz so if you look at single-core benchmark results for that chip and round up a little bit you should be getting a pretty decent idea of what the PS4 cpu is capable of. Then you can compare that single-core performance with various other CPUs out there to get a general ball-park comparison. The Jaguar cores tend to hover around the mid 800s where as Twister cores tend to hover around 2500.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?utf8=✓&q=A4-5100
https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?utf8=✓&q=a4-5000

vs

https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?utf8=✓&q=apple+a9

Not exactly scientific definitive measurement, but it's a start.

Top Bottom