• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls sold 2,367,000 copies, 360 version of DSII will get Japanese release

Kysen

From Software definitely made a killing on this game. One of the few games that doesn't rely on photo-realistic visuals with top of the line voicework and huge elaborate set pieces. The budget especially for the PC version couldn't have been high.

Syril

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Wonder what the breakdown between 360 and PS3 was, I'm assuming 360 version sold a lot prompting them to release DS2 on 360 in Japan.

Cross-posting from the other thread.. :p

So according to this:

c_l1365732815_11umso0.jpg

and the quote in the OP

and the assumption that most sales on PC were digital
and the assumption that almost nobody bought the PC version in Japan
(or alternatively that the physical PC sales and the Japan PC sales cancel each other out)

we have than in the west:

DS:pTD sold 300k on PC alone
DS:pTD sold 255k on PS3/360 combined

or with no assumptions this time, but for total (all regions) sales:

DS:pTD sold 300+ k on PC alone
DS:pTD sold 392- k on PS3/360 combined

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PC version doesn't seem to have sold much then? Or I don't understand the stats.

Hope the sequel is a better port and does better (not that I think the port's state is what would make it sell little).

Great news. I've been using Demon's/Dark Souls as the poster child for a AAA game that didn't require millions of units sold to turn a profit, but I'm glad it sold that well anyway.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
PC version doesn't seem to have sold much then? Or I don't understand the stats.

Hope the sequel is a better port and does better (not that I think the port's state is what would make it sell little).

It doesn't include all the numbers. PC version sold over 300,000 (not including numbers from boxed copies sold throughout Europe).

Mileena

Banned

No surprise. The PC version has very few players online which is a huge negative. PC gamers fucked up by not buying this.

It's a late port. Compared to the console re-release it did much better. Compared to the original console release, of course not.

Durante

It's a late port. Compared to the console re-release it did much better. Compared to the original console release, of course not.
Yeah, I think basically selling on par with the re-release on both consoles combined is a really good result. Given the numbers, I expect that DS2 could do almost 1/3rd of its total sales on PC.

AAK

Sony must be lamenting like crazy for letting Namco scoop up FROM software and continue the soul series.

Cutebrute

More proof that a team doesn't need 5+ million sales to be successful so long as everything is managed well.

I would imagine that DS2 can hit 3-3.5 million with the PC and hopefully next-gen versions launching everywhere on day 1.

Baha

Given that the petition to bring Dark Souls to PC ended at 93,386 signatures, that it sold over 300K is a pretty big success.

Dario ff

Banned
No surprise. The PC version has very few players online which is a huge negative. PC gamers fucked up by not buying this.

They have a region lock on Steam and the thing doesn't even show up in the store for many countries... All because of GFWL I think. (Although the restriction seems to happen with some GFWL games only)

Can't really buy it if the thing doesn't even exist!

They probably developed it for a fraction of the cost of other AAA games. The Souls games success shouldn't blind us to the fact that FROM are still a b-tier developer and probably still work within these confines.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm one of those Japanese sales. Still sucks that it only sold 2.5 mil while games that are inferior in so many ways sell more.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It makes me smile to see how well it's done. Such a great game, and definitely one of my top 3 of the generation if not my outright favourite.

Imagine how good DS2 PC will be if they employe Durante.

Eusis

There'll probably be less double dipping this time around.

Then again the series always seemed to be more of a PS3 series to me and I kind of expect to be given the shaft on a physical version anyway, so I could always jump in on PS3 then double dip on PC. Unless import indications show the FPS is kind of a mess, then WELP. If it's as they promised it won't matter though.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the best and only truly great new franchise this gen gave us. more than deserved those numbers.

Lime

If the DS2 port is good, I hope all PC gamers send a loud message to FROM by buying the game in droves, equalling the console numbers.

Hopefully such an event will make Namco and other Japanese publishers consider more PC releases of their portfolio (retroactively, even).

Sony lost a fucking lot not publishing it. Dark Souls 2 will sell twice if not more of that.

Sony didn't lose anything, no one was going to go out and buy a PS3 to play a Demons souls sequel, since they couldn't experience the first, going multiplatform was the only way it was going to be as popular, and well received as it now is.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised we aren't seeing more DS clones. May or not be a good thing, but this indicates there's a desire for games like this.

Daante

So right:

- 2,3 million sold copies
- In a business that screams "go-go-go-action-fps games to sell"

"The demo felt like it was very much designed to assuage fears that Dark Souls 2 would be an easier game, perhaps to parlay its recent success into reaching a broader audience. But Tanimura made it clear that From Software is under no pressure to do such a thing and, in fact, has been given complete creative freedom by Namco Bandai. From what we've seen, Dark Souls 2 is shaping up to be a worthy successor."

Elixist

good for them. the creature designs are so fukn cool.

i hope to see more gore in the future. for a series obsessed with killing the player, it'd be cool to see yourself cut in half by the black knight and watnot XD

Dorrin

And they did it without locking their multiplayer behind an online pass or having Day one DLC. I wonder if any of these publishers will notice.

Qassim

I didn't buy it because of the shitty port, on principle. So have yet to play it. I'll just wait and see how Dark Souls II goes.

Top Bottom