• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls sold 2,367,000 copies, 360 version of DSII will get Japanese release

Into

If the very best game designers in 1988, such as Capcom, Konami, Taito, Nintendo and others had the access to the technology of today, then Demon and Dark Souls are the kinds of games they would have made.

That is the reason i love both games, and i am so happy they are seeing so much success. Who knew that a game from a relatively unknown Japanese developer would become one of the most beloved games this gen (at least to enthusiast)

So 300K times $40 = $12.000.000 for a PC version that probably didn't cost them more than $100K to produce.

Cha-ching.

Nah, unlikely that all or most of the copies were sold for $40, but the PC port was done on the cheap and PC ports on multiplatform engines are not terribly expensive in the first place, so cha-ching indeed ;)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So this alone proves PC is the lowest selling right?

Yes, though that's true for most multiplatform releases.

Usually the PC's benefit to companies is that it's high margin, has unlimited shelf life, and is relatively easy to port to, whereas consoles have sheer volume.

Grief.exe

Those are pretty impressive numbers for the PC version anyway you look at it.

Even when Namco/From really gimped the port.

Shackling a game with DRM has proven time and again to reduce sales numbers, GFWL games aren't even available in all countries, and it was some of the word of mouth prior to release was very poor, due to the port quality.

Except that other thread that says 300k downloads alone not counting retail for PC.

300K just digital is pretty impressive.

Especially with the issues I described earlier and the year late port.

Zaventem

I'm sure they balance their budgets well.Atlus exceptions for Demon's Souls were 75k they sold triple what they were expecting and made a profit.

Ghazi

I honestly have to say that impulse pre-ordering this game when I knew nothing about it was probably the best gaming related decision I've made in awhile.

PC version sold the least as expected. ~100k copies sold. 1 million copies torrented.

You got the facts wrong:

- 1 year old port.
- Worst port since Resident Evil 4 PC, made probably by FROM's janitor in his spare time.
- Using GFWL and some people will refuse to buy a game that uses such an abomination.
- 300k copies digitally.

Congrats to From. Going from being a mild nobody in the industry, to an internationally succesful studio in one gaming era.

Sucks for Sony though, they didn't continue the Demon's Souls franchise. Sony Exec's must be eating their hats.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Congrats to From. Going from being a mild nobody in the industry, to an internationally succesful studio in one gaming era.

What? They still a "nobody" in most cases. They're a niche star like Atlus now. Just Dark Soul's getting promoted by Namco is helping them more than their own name really.

Yeah it wasn't, it was a JPN and Euro exclusive. People in NA had to buy the DLC. Your comparison doesn't make much sense then since people couldn't even buy the product :p.

Fair enough.

But I'd also like to note you can't compare the sales of the 1 year earlier released console versions, with the sales of the late PC port.

The console versions received more marketing and have been available for longer.

antitrop

What? They still a "nobody" in most cases. They're a niche star like Atlus now. Just Dark Soul's getting promoted by Namco is helping them more than their own name really.
Just because you refuse to acknowledge 'Metal Wolf Chaos' as a paragon of the gaming pantheon, doesn't mean it isn't true.

Considering they've been kind of insignificant for a long time I'd call this kind of succes huge despite Namco's support. Especially for a generation thats been struggling with creativity and new IPs.

But I agree they are still slightly niche, however correct me if Im wrong but I dont recall any Atlus games selling above 2 million units or even a 1 million.

Nabs

You got the facts wrong:

- 1 year old port.
- Worst port since Resident Evil 4 PC, made probably by FROM's janitor in his spare time.
- Using GFWL and some people will refuse to buy a game that uses such an abomination.
- 300k copies digitally.

People also have to understand that Dark Souls PC still has legs. If they made it the weekend deal right now it would sell another boat load. They need to do that after every single Dark Souls II announcement. I don't think it's even hit $15 on Steam yet. Imagine that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yet even without DSfix, it's comparable to the console version people buy instead when they hear statements such as that.

Nope it really is god awful, if you play on laptop with dual dpu's it uses the crappy intergrated one and plays like shit, so you have to manually chsnge it. Zero effort was put in that port they should be lucky durante exists, heck he should get a cut.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
People also have to understand that Dark Souls PC still has legs. If they made it the weekend deal right now it would sell another boat load. They need to do that after every single Dark Souls II announcement.

Exactly. It also hasn't even hit the bottom price ceiling for big games like this. The cheapest it's gone on Steam is $16.00, I believe. The cheapest it's ever been is about $12.00 on Amazon.

When it hits $10.00/$7.50/$5.00 you're going to reel in people who'd previously never even thought of buying the game at each level.

It's practically an annuity.

Nabs

Exactly. It also hasn't even hit the bottom price ceiling for big games like this. The cheapest it's gone on Steam is $16.00, I believe. The cheapest it's ever been is about $12.00 on Amazon.

When it hits $10.00/$7.50/$5.00 you're going to reel in people who'd previously never even thought of buying the game at each level.

ducktalesmoneybin.gif

Pc version sales are impressing considering that the game is not available for sale in a lot of countries, I had to gift it to all my friends in other countries.

Not sure why Namco hates money.

Durante

What I distinctly remember from one sale is it being #1 on Steam at $20 while it was $15 on Amazon. Really goes to show the power of Steam.

Nabs

Pc version sales are impressing considering that the game is not available for sale in a lot of countries, I had to gift it to all my friends in other countries.

Not sure why Namco hates money.

It's GFWL (SSA). You have to be from a supported country for them to sell it to you.

Grief.exe

Nope it really is god awful, if you play on laptop with dual dpu's it uses the crappy intergrated one and plays like shit, so you have to manually chsnge it. Zero effort was put in that port they should be lucky durante exists, heck he should get a cut.

That happens with a lot of games actually.

Its more of a hardware problem than anything.

Animator

You got the facts wrong:

- 1 year old port.
- 300k copies digitally.

Exactly.

I didn't buy it on pc because of GFWL and because I have already played the shit out of it on PS3. Day one release of DS2 will sell much much more.

You got the facts wrong:

- 1 year old port.
- 300k copies digitally.

- Launched with DLC
- Half price within months of release

Awesome numbers. I did my part by buying the PS3 version, and might double dip at the right price on Steam.

I should get back to Sen's Fortress soon.

TheMan

Sucks for Sony though, they didn't continue the Demon's Souls franchise. Sony Exec's must be eating their hats.

somehow i doubt that

Alebrije

Yea is good to see studios like From gaining appeal on the industry. I hope Sony soon or later makes a Demón´s Souls 2 game , they can even work again with From to do it....

I wonder how a new Kings Field would go over...

I love the Souls series, and no doubt can see the inspiration by Kings Field, but I would just love to see a new one on PC/Next Gen. I think if they were careful to maintain the integrity of the series, with some needed improvements, it could do just as well as the Souls series.

Either way, I love seeing the success of this franchise. Very dear to me and many fans. Demon's Souls was THE GEM and sleeper of this generation, and without it...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The PC version has very few players online which is a huge negative.
I would think the broken state of the multiplayer made lots of people give up on that aspect. I know I did. Where does it say how many people are online?

Top Bottom