• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Im mean having fans who "register" as following Halo is great. But actual viewership numbers are all below many of the games listed below halo.

I think it does go to show the potential halo esports has... It just had to nail the execution.

Halo 5 is the game that got me into e-sports, kinda / sorta.

It's just so fucking fun to watch - started watching players on Twitch, started watching matches / tourneys / etc.

Never had ANY interest in that shit before.

Trup1aya

Halo 5 is the game that got me into e-sports, kinda / sorta.

It's just so fucking fun to watch - started watching players on Twitch, started watching matches / tourneys / etc.

Never had ANY interest in that shit before.

Similar story for me too.

I was semi interested, but I never new HOW to access it. I was feinding for Halo 5 news, so I downloaded twitch and stumbled across Roy streaming the game, and I've been hooked ever since.

Since then I've gone back and watched some of the old stuff. It la crazy how big halo esports was before esports was such an industry.

Trup1aya

Who do the Coalition run their esports through?

I'm kinda surprised that Xbox and MS don't just have it all under the same umbrella and management tbh.

MLG is the primary "TO" for Gears esports (they don't like being referred to as TOs, because they see their roll as fostering a community rather than simply organizing tournaments. That's why they are so focused on Community events and LANs and are largely against exclusive concepts like "online pro leagues"

It seems like MS is pretty hands off of esports outside of a games launch window. During the first Halo Worlds Championship, Xbox marketing arranged for several MLG hosted events. But once that was over ESL got the gig with 343.

Having it all under one umbrella would probably be great for MS' first party esports, so long as it was under the correct umbrella.

MLG is the primary "TO" for Gears esports (they don't like being referred to as TOs, because they see their roll as fostering a community rather than simply organizing tournaments. That's why they are so focused on Community events and LANs and are largely against exclusive concepts like "online pro leagues"

It seems like MS is pretty hands off of esports outside of a games launch window. During the first Halo Worlds Championship, Xbox marketing arranged for several MLG hosted events. But once that was over ESL got the gig with 343.

Having it all under one umbrella would probably be great for MS' first party esports, so long as it was under the correct umbrella.

Well MS need to start being more hands on. Its ridiculious to have these messes happen to halo all the time, they should care more about the damage its doing to its premier franchise.

Trup1aya

Well MS need to start being more hands on. Its ridiculious to have these messes happen to halo all the time, they should care more about the damage its doing to its premier franchise.

Im always weary of adding more beauracracy. Esports is best when It operates with the fluidity of a grassroots organization. Mlg is cool because they are a huge operation, but believe heavily in growing a scene from the ground up.

That said, xbox marketing definitely should be more involved. Halo continues to be their most recognizable IP by far, and should be treated as such. Outside of the TO choice and production , It's weird not to see some of the more simple things executed better. The official website is often slow to update, the Twitter presence is minimal, stat collection is inconsistent... fixing stuff like that could go a long way.

Im always weary of adding more beauracracy. Esports is best when It operates with the fluidity of a grassroots organization. Mlg is cool because they are a huge operation, but believe heavily in growing a scene from the ground up.

That said, xbox marketing definitely should be more involved. Halo continues to be their most recognizable IP by far, and should be treated as such. Outside of the TO choice and production , It's weird not to see some of the more simple things executed better. The official website is often slow to update, the Twitter presence is minimal, stat collection is inconsistent... fixing stuff like that could go a long way.

Well thats why im saying MS need to get more hands on. Its been like this for years now. These are not new problems. If 343 cant do it after all this time, then let the bureaucracy step in and do it right.

So I'm not sure if this is out of context or not, but it looks like the Didact's fate is atleast partially revealed in the Halo Adult Colouring Book. https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/74ppzs/the_halo_coloring_book_reveals_fate_of_the_didact/

I really hope this isn't a case of 343i throwing out his character alltogether, but I guess time will tell.

We knew this? Or we knew that he'd been digitally stored, I mean; the Domain, while a new wrinkle, isn't exactly unexpected.

BizzyBum

first off, who says there will be one?

51942ec5afa96f23c5000016.jpg

first off, who says there will be one? And secondly, thats precisely what a beta should be for, the feedback.

Betas rarely change the game by a meaningful amount. Yeah some things fixed/tweaked, but if you dont like the beta there's a very high xhance you wont like the final product.

Trup1aya

I just hope that after denver we finally get some formatting that makes sense. It's been two years and they still haven't figured out how to avoid giving unfair advantages.

Im thrilled that EU is getting a chance to play against NA. But arbitrarily seeding them above NA AMs doesnt make any sense- especially when EU has yet to beat a top AM team. A few only placed top 12 thanks to seeding pitting EU teams against each other in losers.

Not only is it unfair to teams who could potentially be better that EU squads, but it does EU a disservice as well, because they probably won't get to play many matches.

Why not use group play? 4 groups of 5.
2 NA pro teams, 1 EU pro team, and 2 top 8 open teams in each group. Top 4 from each group moves to the champ bracket.

This way
1) EU teams get a minimum of 4 matches against top talent
2) no one feels slighted by seeding
3) top 16 determined by performance at Denver not past performance under different circumstances

Tarry

It seems wrong that I can get into a game faster in the BC Halo titles like Reach than I can with Halo 5. Is the population really that low or is matchmaking just ass?

Just got dick wiped 50-29 in HCS playlist, Slayer. Two of my team mates go 4-12, 3-13 respectively. Check opposing team post match; all in same spartan company, team of four. Why have 343 reversed the no team matching policy so quickly? Menke talks a big game on twitter about randoms vs fours being more balanced after an algorithm change but the results are naaaaaah

We knew this? Or we knew that he'd been digitally stored, I mean; the Domain, while a new wrinkle, isn't exactly unexpected.

For those unfamiliar, in the Escalation comics it turns out the Didact got warped somewhere at the end of 4 and then made his way to an installation (a Halo?) where he killed Black Team and found a reserve of extra Composers. Blue Team blew all the Composers up which "took" Didact with them, making it look like he got composed - his fate was never made explicitly clear after that.

this was just....

...insanity.

Just got dick wiped 50-29 in HCS playlist, Slayer. Two of my team mates go 4-12, 3-13 respectively. Check opposing team post match; all in same spartan company, team of four. Why have 343 reversed the no team matching policy so quickly? Menke talks a big game on twitter about randoms vs fours being more balanced after an algorithm change but the results are naaaaaah

what did they change w/ regards to MM algorithm?

i've been having crazy unbalanced matches ever since recently... barely get a good / fair game anymore.

i figure/figured it's probably just low population, but did they change something with MM at all out of curiosity?

[i don't use twitter, so i don't follow this sheeeet]

They really need to start taking away REQ points in Arena for quitters. Make quitting actually hurt the player.
Why req points? They should just start taking away actual high tier reqs like armor and weapon skins. That would be hilarious. When you quit a game, you lose a piece of armor or skin you were using during the quit match. Boom, watch the cry babies flood the forums.

Trup1aya

They really need to start taking away REQ points in Arena for quitters. Make quitting actually hurt the player.

At this point in time i doubt many people care about their req points. Remaining players probably have more rp than they know what to do with.

What they should do is 1) make quitters wait atleast until the match is over before they can jump back into MM. 2) allow them to rejoin the match that they quit out of.

jem0208

I still haven't completed the gold packs.

Not that taking away req points would actually annoy me. I don't particularly care.

Damn lol, it's crazy to think how fast I got them mostly sticking to WZA at the time. I banged 'em out left and right, now I'm just sitting on over 2 million RP.

Trup1aya

I mean, I've still got like 10+ days of playtime.

Just takes a shit ton of time to unlock everything.

I always pegged you to be one of those guys with a month of playtime.

I've got almost 15 days.

I did put a lot of effort into getting all reqs and achilles. I did a lot of things I dont actually enjoy for the sake of collecting things.

jem0208

Damn lol, it's crazy to think how fast I got them mostly sticking to WZA at the time. I banged 'em out left and right, now I'm just sitting on over 2 million RP.

I've "only" played about 2.5 days worth of Warzone.
Never really got into it, probably why I haven't unlocked everything yet.

I always pegged you to be one of those guys with a month of playtime.

I've got almost 15 days.

I did put a lot of effort into getting all reqs and achilles. I did a lot of things I doing actually enjoy for the sake of collecting things.
I love the game, I just don't actually play video games all that often. Started playing more recently though as I've had a lot of free time with not much to do

I also don't particularly care all that much about collecting reqs or cosmetics etc. In Reach I got one of the cheapest helmets then never changed it. I buy gold packs more out of habit than anything else now.

I've "only" played about 2.5 days worth of Warzone.
Never really got into it, probably why I haven't unlocked everything yet.
This is why you haven't unlocked all your reqs yet. You really just have to grind WZ to get reqs done. Was better early on when more people were doing warzone assault. Harder to find games in that playlist now though. Swat is probably the next best option for quick games.

E92 M3

Yup.

Sold all of my reqs multiple times as well.

Looking at my stats now I actually have just under 10 days of playtime.

That's still a ton for me though, more so than every other Halo.

I thought you would have had WAY more playtime by now lol.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This legendary cup is pretty great. Era (cratos, str8sick, musa, and ???) just reset the bracket in finals vs str8rippin (ace, commonly, baby j, and danoxide). Watch this shit

twitch.tv/halo

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Slick return by commonly in the 2-2 flag standoff, coli. 2nd best of 7 now str8 up 2 to 1.

Defect

343 just drop the mmr matching already. I play one match of snipers then it's impossible to find another match.

I just want to play the game.

Juan

343 just drop the mmr matching already. I play one match of snipers then it's impossible to find another match.

Better not playing a game than being frustrated. Trust me, you don't want random matchmaking to put you in a lobby where your teammates don't know how to aim and your opponents are all Onyx.

I think something might be up with matchmaking, we were having a hell of a time finding a match in Warzone of all things Saturday night.

Top Bottom