• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Paper Shotgun's GOTY 2013 [John Walker responds to your deep concerns]

AkuMifune

Banned
That just ups their status in my eyes. It was definitely in my top 5 last year.

FC3 isn't even half the game that FC2 was. FC3 is limiting, forces players to stay within zones while on missions, doesn't allow for creativity or freedom when attacking missions or bases, the main character is terrible (and it was not intentional satire, just shitty) and the best character in the game disappears halfway through because they didn't even know what the best part of their own game was.

FC3 and Bioshock Infinite are two games I can understand people liking, but they are also both steps back from games in their own series. Saying they're the "best of" anything is just wrong.

I'm also just preparing myself for the flames when I vote Beyond my 2013 GOTY. ;)

Because most outlets are multiplatform, unlike this site. You won't see PC games on OXM right?

Exactly. Pretend if OXM was called was random name that did not allude it being a xbox exclusive review site. Suppose they had a GOTY list that had titles only on 360/XB1. Would you not find it weird. I'm just trying to show you why I reacted like that because at that time I did not know RPS was a PC exclusive site. Now I do so it makes sense :)

Hoo boy, if you think Oscar movies are obscure, we're coming from very different perspectives. The Oscars still generally pick movies made by major movie studios.

If you just want awards to pick the giant, blockbuster movies/music/games that everyone has heard of, then watch the MTV Movie awards, the MTV Music Awards, watch the Spike VGA awards and read Game Informer. Now pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist. Problem solved.

I think to the major public a lot of Oscar films are not mainstream and unknown . For example in 2012, The Artist, Midnight In Paris and The Tree Of Life were nominated among others, i wouldn't call those mainstream films.

Anyway i disagree with RPS game of the year not because of their choice, i haven't yet played Kentucky Route Zero but i do wish to, but because i don't agree that an unfinished episodic game should qualify.

Well, for newcomers that would visit the site and not know any better. I don't follow RPS so it's certainly new to me that they're PC only.
That's easily corrected. You are now aware RPS is PC only. It doesn't take too long or too much to realize the focus of the site. Naming their GOTY list as "PC GOTY 2013" would be oddly redundant. Their readership is already aware of their focus, and newcomers acknowledge that pretty quickly.
Yes but they play a lot of them and they play it regardless of platform unlike this site.
They are PC focused. Why would they need or have to play games in other platforms?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I revel in my willful ignorance. That makes this list unrelatable to me, the idiot, and therefore incorrect.

Perfect. Mindless accusations of hipsterism only reveal the ignorance of the people making the accusations. That, and it's really obnoxious. I guess some people would rather see the slight variations of the same list churned out by every publication, because there's only a small handful of games with budgets big enough to belong on a year-end list.

I loved the first episode of Kentucky Route Zero, but my PC bit the dust shortly after I played it. Original, atmospheric and intriguing. Don't Starve is excellent as well. I've done some catching up with 2013 games on other platforms, but I really, really miss having a PC. I'm gonna have a lot to play when I get mine fixed.

I didn't mean to hit a sore spot. =P But usually, half of the Best Picture nominees at the Oscars are movies hardly anyone has seen let alone heard of.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the kind of movie-going that would result in someone not even hearing about most Oscar-sweepers, or at the very least best picture award. If anything, the one complain most often leveled at them (and one I share) is that they tend often pick blockbusters and/or cheaply sentimental films.

Opiate

I would strongly argue that many of the major gaming sites are de facto console-centric sites. They may include some occasional information on handheld or PC games, but this information is hugely underrepresented relative to the news and coverage (and awards) for console-centric titles. Mobile and social gaming may in fact be completely and explicitly ignored.

So while Game Informer may technically cover some PC oriented games or talk about the 3DS or Vita occasionally, their general focus is clear and it shows in their end of year awards.

Shouldn't it be "PC GOTY 2013" if they're PC exclusive? Seems difficult to compile a proper GOTY list without having your employees go through the tons of console exclusives as well.
Nobody is asking for console reviewers (the VAST majority of reviewers out there that is) to apply the same standard for PC games. There's barely anyone among them who plays ridiculously good PC exclusives like Dota 2, EU4 and so forth and yet claims to be able to list the best games of the year.

Fuck that.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I think to the major public a lot of Oscar films are not mainstream and unknown . For example in 2012, The Artist, Midnight In Paris and The Tree Of Life were nominated among others, i wouldn't call those mainstream films.

they all had mainstream rollouts. the weinstein's handling of the artist in particular is a masterclass in taking something with good buzz yet potentially limited appeal and pushing it to the saturation stratosphere.

thefil

It's embarrassing how many of you think these lists should represent some canon for posterity. The (limited) value of Game of the Year lists is curation: a list of recommendations tempered by retrospect more than the hype of the moment (I.e. Reviews).

Whether you take those recommendations depends on your affinity to the writers and your willingness to try new things. You can't as an external observer deny what RPS writers got out of KRZ, Far Cry 3, or Skyrim.

Also, if you think these games are obscure, you should check out the freeindiegam.es list. Note that I am not suggestin FIG is bein hipster or being derisive.

Also on the "validity" debate: seems fine to vote for any digital game (definition: experience enhanced by interactivity or rules) experience that was available on 2013 and not before. Therefore Proteus and KRZ are completely reasonable.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
KR0 is an unusual choice, but one I can agree with. I coincidentally just finished ep2 and it's an allround incredible game. Even though it's incomplete, I kinda get why they'd want to include it anyway. It's a road-game, and getting to the destination or end isn't a priority while you're playing. While I'm really (really) looking forward to the new episodes, I don't feel like the ones we've had were 'incomplete' experiences.

Nymphae

Banned
Well, for newcomers that would visit the site and not know any better. I don't follow RPS so it's certainly new to me that they're PC only.

I'm surprised to see so many people not familiar with RPS here. Their name is a little silly though, doesn't give you any idea that they're PC only.

FC3 and Bioshock Infinite are two games I can understand people liking, but they are also both steps back from games in their own series. Saying they're the "best of" anything is just wrong.

I'm also just preparing myself for the flames when I vote Beyond my 2013 GOTY. ;)

I can't comprehend how anybody could think Infinite is a step back from either of the other two Bioshock games nor how it isn't game of the year, they're just wrong. Please stop acting like your opinions are facts, GOTY topics always turn to shit when people don't understand how subjective opinions work.

Anyway I like the list, I'd much rather have more varied lists to account for how peoples tastes are often totally different as opposed to ever one being identical. Also I don't care about the numbering, it's a list of 25 games to play that most people probably haven't played.

Out of their list, The Swapper is probably my PC GOTY. Everyone should play this game. The atmosphere, music and art of this game is on a level of its own. The puzzles are fantastic and use The Swapper's unique mechanic expertly.

Haven't got a chance to play a lot of PC games this year. Hopefully steam sale will rectify that.

An unranked top 24 for one platform seems like kind of a cop-out. It feels like they just got a bunch of staff together and listed every PC game they liked and didn't argue about it much at all.

Nobody is asking for console reviewers (the VAST majority of reviewers out there that is) to apply the same standard for PC games. There's barely anyone among them who plays ridiculously good PC exclusives like Dota 2, EU4 and so forth and yet claims to be able to list the best games of the year.

Fuck that.
They should apply the same standards.

Having not played the game, I want to distinguish these completely reasonable criticisms and observations from "why are there so many indie games" arguments.

That is, it is entirely possible that this list can be criticized and rebutted in lots of perfectly valid ways -- it's just that "I have not personally heard of this game, so they must be picking it to seem hipster" is not among those ways.

That's a distinction I was about to make as well regarding KRZ, as it and a few other games in that list, being more of interactive fiction than games, don't personally appeal to me, for example. I personally would not have given the GOTY to one of them, but it's their choice to make, and a lot of people loved the game.

And sorry if I'm being a bit over the top with my replies, but it makes my blood boil to see people not only ignorant of some of the best games of the year, but outright dismissive of them AND those who would pick them, simply because of their so-called "indie" status. The correct answer to "I don't know half of the games in that list" would be to try them, not "lol indiez".

oneils

Damn, some embarrassing posts in here. Decent list, gives me a good reference for picking up games cheap during the steam sale.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Even as someone who primarily plays PC games there are lots of strange omissions on this list. I've never really had similar taste to RPS though.

epmode

An unranked top 24 for one platform seems like kind of a cop-out. It feels like they just got a bunch of staff together and listed every PC game they liked and didn't argue about it much at all.

RPS covers a lot of games, many of which would be entirely unknown to those who only follow console releases.

Somebody please explain to me how Shadow Warrior did not make this list.

Good point. I suspect it'll be in their list of stuff that wasn't quite nominated.

Opiate

Nobody is asking for console reviewers (the VAST majority of reviewers out there that is) to apply the same standard for PC games. There's barely anyone who plays ridiculously good PC exclusives like Dota 2, EU4 and so forth and yet claims to be able to list the best games of the year.

Fuck that.

This is another way of saying what I just argued; while most "core" gaming sites claim to cover consoles, handhelds, and PC, they frequently have a particular, disproportionate focus.

As a simple example: if a specific site or magazine or award show technically claims to cover all gaming news but their end of year awards list are almost entirely social/mobile games with a few handheld/console/PC games thrown in for good measure, and this pattern persists every year, then in practice they're probably iOS gamers who are also willing to occasionally try a console game, rather than true platform agnostic gamers in practice.

SummitAve

Banned
There were so many games out on the PC this year that those actually seem like the obvious choices.

I also enjoy seeing games I've never heard of before because I like playing good games that I know nothing about.

AkuMifune

Banned
I can't comprehend how anybody could think Infinite is a step back from either of the other two Bioshock games nor how it isn't game of the year, they're just wrong. Please stop acting like your opinions are facts, GOTY topics always turn to shit when people don't understand how subjective opinions work.

Of course opinions are terrible. ANY game you like will have some people who argue loudly it's a shitty game and it sucks the fun right out of it.

But still, Bioshock 1 has a much more cohesive story with better enemies, smarter AI and a stronger sense of place. Bioshock 2 was a much better balanced shooter, and Minerva's Den is the single best piece of Bioshock content. Those are not opinions.

Since when are review sites government agencies that need to meet certain standards and criteria before being allowed to publish a GOTY list?
They're not forced to, it's just my opinion dude. I think it's favorable to be able to cover the widest spectrum of games available each year. Hell, I don't even feel comfortable much of the time putting together a list because I know I didn't get to play a ton of potentially awesome games. The list would just be what the handful of games I played that year.

Opiate

They should apply the same standards.

I would definitely agree if I felt most sites were being similarly straightforward. While most sites claim to be platform agnostic, almost none of them are in practice. This isn't to say that RPS is perfect, but they're certainly much more straightforward about their preferences than are Game Informer or the Spike VGAs, for example. Technically both of those could possibly have Kentucky Route Zero as their game of the year, but I'm sure we can both agree that would never actually happen.

hemtae

I'm surprised to see so many people not familiar with RPS here. Their name is a little silly though, doesn't give you any idea that they're PC only.

GAF is a mostly console-centric forum. The only time I can think of when RPS gets a big thread here is when RPS goes on one of its social justice kicks and there's a blow up here.

DeFrank

I'm trying to wrap my head around the kind of movie-going that would result in someone not even hearing about most Oscar-sweepers, or at the very least best picture award. If anything, the one complain most often leveled at them (and one I share) is that they tend often pick blockbusters and/or cheaply sentimental films.

Agreed. Historical films seem to take precedence as well.

Of course opinions are terrible. ANY game you like will have some people who argue loudly it's a shitty game and it sucks the fun right out of it.

But still, Bioshock 1 has a much more cohesive story with better enemies, smarter AI and a stronger sense of place. Bioshock 2 was a much better balanced shooter, and Minerva's Den is the single best piece of Bioshock content. Those are not opinions.

I agree with all these, but they are all opinions, unfortunately.

EDIT: it might be possible to look at the smarter AI objectively.

Shouldn't it be "PC GOTY 2013" if they're PC exclusive? Seems difficult to compile a proper GOTY list without having your employees go through the tons of console exclusives as well.

Should GameSpot call their list "Console, PC, handheld and mobile Game of the Year" to make it clear they're not ranking tabletop games? I mean, come on, they're a PC site, that's a weird complaint to make.

gogoud

Where's State of Decay?

They've got less than stellar games like Monaco on the list and yet the fantastic SoD is MiA...

I didn't like monaco either... after few maps/levels I got bored of it. Nothing in it made me want to play it. SoD is decent, but I wouldn't call it fantastic. But it is better than monaco.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man I figured if anyone would give Gunpoint a mention it'd be RPS.

Why is such a spectacular game getting ignored by everyone?

Should GameSpot call their list "Console, PC, handheld and mobile Game of the Year" to make it clear they're not ranking tabletop games? I mean, come on, they're a PC site, that's a weird complaint to make.
No, because it's widely known Gamespot is a multiplatform site. Admittedly, RPS is a smaller site in terms of mindshare, being PC only was just new to me, that's all.

Dascu

They're not forced to, it's just my opinion dude. I think it's favorable to be able to cover the widest spectrum of games available each year. Hell, I don't even feel comfortable much of the time putting together a list because I know I didn't get to play a ton of potentially awesome games. The list would just be what the handful of games I played that year.

Didn't mean to come across as harsh, 's all good. I personally find it better for sites like RPS to focus on one particular platform. It allows for a deeper and better coverage, since there are way, way too many games worth playing released every year.

v I don't see any need for RPS to make it even more clear they're PC-focused. I imagine that the people who really care about what they have to say; what their GOTY choice is, already know about their platform preference.

Opiate

To expand on the idea I just proposed to make it more clear, imagine if RPS decided to eliminate their PC-only labeling and claimed to be platform-neutral. However, most of their big news pieces remained PC centric, and at the end of the year the awards still went hugely disproportionately for PC-centric titles with a few handheld, mobile and console games thrown in.

Technically at that point, yes, they'd be covering all the platforms, but I feel this approach is considerably less honest than RPS' current one. If the worst we can say is that RPS doesn't put the "PC only" label on their sites often enough, then they're still doing much better than most sites, in my opinion, which will often claim to cover all gaming but for which the platform preference is abundantly clear with even a cursory observation.

Worst thing about that list is that it doesn't contain neither La-Mulana nor Race the Sun.

Also Shadow Warrior is a lot more (dumb) fun that Saints Row IV could ever hope to be.

La-Mulana's PC remake version is 2012, though. The only thing that happened in 2013 is that it was released on Steam.

No, because it's widely known Gamespot is a multiplatform site. Admittedly, RPS is a smaller site in terms of mindshare, being PC only was just new to me, that's all.

It's not enough that it says "PC Gaming" right there on their logo at the top of each page? We're grasping at straws now.

I haven't played too many games this year because of other commitments, but I did really enjoy Don't Starve.

This thread is gold.

Not a single console exclusive. Pathetic GOTY list. Feels like they didn't play some of the best games of the year or include them just because they were on consoles.

YZ0BGHg.gif

epmode

Man I figured if anyone would give Gunpoint a mention it'd be RPS.

Why is such a spectacular game getting ignored by everyone?

Good question. They really liked Gunpoint in earlier coverage. It's one of the few genuinely funny games of the year. Plays really well too.

Not surprised that they'd ignore great games like Volgarr and Gunpoint.

I'd definitely put Volgarr over most of this list. Oh well!

Top Bottom