• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firware update (2.10) coming tomorrow - Blu-Ray 1.1 support! Divx! splooooge

Goldrusher said:
Wrong translation.

Doesn't the Spanish text say you can't COPY files:

- compressed with DivX 3.11
- bigger than 2GB

I think... :lol

"reproducir" = copy ? reproduce ?

Right ? Right ????

I think "reproducir" is like "playback".

But I might be wrong.

Dot50Cal said:
You can just demux them and put them in an .mp4. Why go with .mkv anyway? Whats the benefit?

avi is a container. With Divx covered, they have the majority of avi covered.
i think it's just that a lot of stuff is already available in .mkv.

of course, by stuff, we all know what i mean... and it isn't anything that Sony would want to publically be seen as supporting.

great update. great new features.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Goldrusher said:
Really ?

Damn.

Why add DivX when you're not supporting 3.11 ? :/

They might have gotten pressure from their movie division. 3.11 was the most used format for pirating movies. It still is to an extent, but most have moved on to x264 and other mpeg4 codecs.

Dot50Cal said:
You can just demux them and put them in an .mp4. Why go with .mkv anyway? Whats the benefit?

just to be able to stream them from any mediacenter on ps3 without having to translate them on the fly (i maybe totally off by the way).

I'm just trying to build a media center solution around ps3 so i just try to understand.
=> i just want to have my 4TB server streaming any vido i got from the net on my ps3, in any format, and that doesn't require 4x core on the server to convert files on the fly for the ps3 (and even, it would'nt work well for 720p & 1080p files i guess).

Goldrusher

divx.com said:
To date, over 100 million DivX Certified® products have been shipped into the market, and it is anticipated PS3 will significantly expand that number.

+

divx.com said:
DivX Certified home theater products are required to play DivX 3.11

=

monkey.jpg

max-pain

Dot50Cal said:
x264 "High Profile" ...While its not major, the enthusiast community has moved to it. Producing PS3 capable encodes with it makes quality suffer.

PS3 supports H.264 HP (x264 is not a format it's a H.264 implementation) in MP4 and AVCHD's transport stream container (.m2ts).

Elios83

Dot50Cal said:

avi is a container. With Divx covered, they have the majority of avi covered.

So will .avi movies be playable directly with this update? That would be really cool for me.
And what about .mov? Even with mp4 support it's not possible to play them now.
Since the PS3 browser isn't compatible with Gametrailers.com it would be cool to be able o download the wmp version and play it directly on PS3.

Dot50Cal

Banned
max-pain said:
PS3 supports H.264 HP (x264 is not a format it's a H.264 implementation) in MP4 and AVCHD's transport stream container (.m2ts).

Really? I'll have to look into that, because I know it wouldn't play back some files I encoded a few months ago.

Slavik81

Elios83 said:
So will .avi movies be playable directly with this update? That would be really cool for me.
And what about .mov? Even with mp4 support it's not possible to play them now.
Since the PS3 browser isn't compatible with Gametrailers.com it would be cool to be able o download the wmp version and play it directly on PS3.
I don't think it's likely you're ever going to be able to play Windows Media Video (WMV) on the PS3.

"We are looking at a number of enhancements related to accessing some of the XMB features during gameplay, including messaging your friends," PlayStation Network director of operations Eric Lempel told the ShackBlog. "While there's no timeline to announce at this point, we've heard loud and clear from consumers that in-game XMB access is one of the most requested PS3 enhancements."

I like how a year after launch Sony is looking into adding cross-title messaging (why do they not say invites) and Nintendo is looking into voice chat. These idiots should have been planning this stuff since 2001, and it should have been launch functionality.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I like how a year after launch Sony is looking into adding cross-title messaging (why do they not say invites) and Nintendo is looking into voice chat. These idiots should have been planning this stuff since 2001, and it should have been launch functionality.
You get what you pay for. :)

opt1197899277l.jpg

Translation

A Voice Changer feature has been added to the Voice and Video Chat menu. If you want more information visit eu.playstation.com and consult the "Voice Changer" guide included in the "Help and Technical Assistance for PS3" section.

This feature allows you to change the tone of the sound originated by audio devices, like microphones. It has 5 preset levels and a bass and (what's the opposite of bass? :p) scale.

You can alter the tone while using the Voice and Video chat options available in "Friends"

Other 2.10 stuff

Music

- Now you can select the options [Type 3] in Settings > Music Settings > Bitmapping. This bitmapping process has been designed exclusively for the PS3 with the goal of improving the audio reproduction.

Video

- DivX y VC-1 WMV (WOOOOOT) are now compatible. *
- The system is now compatible with the Profile 1.1 Blu-ray Disc. **
- A [BD data tool] option has been added ***

- To play VC-1 (WMV) files you will need to select the option [Activate WMA reproduction], available in the Settings > System Settings
- It's not possible to play copyrighted files or files compressed with DivX 3.11
- It's not possible to play files bigger then 2GB
- Now you have several additional features, like the simultaneous reproduction of the videos in the Blu-ray Disc compatible with the 1.1 Profile. The available features vary depending on the disc.
Stores the management data used by the Blu-ray Disc.

Slavik81 said:
I don't think it's likely you're ever going to be able to play Windows Media Video (WMV) on the PS3.

this is not what is posted in OP :
VC-1(wmv) (you have to enable wma playback in the system settings in order to be able to play wmvs)

are you 100% sure ? too bad if so..

Slavik81

natureman3 said:
this is not what is posted in OP :
are you 100% sure ? too bad if so..
Nope. I'm not sure in the slightest. It was a guess based on the fact that it's a Microsoft format

DangerStepp

Dot50Cal said:
True Picture in Picture support among other things. I think this brings the PS3 to full 2.0 compatibility, AFAIK the only thing different between Profile 1.1 and 2.0 is the ability to connect to the internet.

How can they not support 3.11? Divx by default supports this. Disappointing.
Would anyone happen to know the other features that come with the benefits of Blu-Ray 1.1? Besides, how does true picture in picture work--were we not able to do this before? Meaning, could we theoretically watch Good Eats with Alton Brown while playing Uncharted at the same time with no hitches?

nofi

DangerStepp said:
Would anyone happen to know the other features that come with the benefits of Blu-Ray 1.1? Besides, how does true picture in picture work--were we not able to do this before? Meaning, could we theoretically watch Good Eats with Alton Brown while playing Uncharted at the same time with no hitches?

No, it means Blu-Ray films can have (for example) a director's head in the bottom corner talking over the film that's in the main screen.

Slavik81

Slavik81 said:
Nope. I'm not sure in the slightest. It was a guess based on the fact that it's a Microsoft format
Elios83 said:
The article states clearly it supports WMV.. so?:D
Oh. I see what happened.
Microsoft made it an open format in 2003.

themoreyouknow.gif

Elios83

deepbrown said:
It's been playing WMV for ages...that's all I play on my PS3....a whole 200album back catalogue of music in WMV

You probably mean windows media audio which is not windows media video, btw at this point I'm waiting until I can try which things can be reproduced and which can't :D :D

androvsky

Copyrighted Divx files won't work? Damn, that sucks, Rifftrax (former MST3k people) is selling some of the public domain movies with the audio track built-in, and using copyright protected Divx files to do it. I guess "Divx Certified" means basic mpeg-4 support.

DangerStepp

nofi said:
No, it means Blu-Ray films can have (for example) a director's head in the bottom corner talking over the film that's in the main screen.
Alright thanks. That's pretty cool I guess.

MadFuzzy

Looks like they've got the same level of DIVX support as on 360, as that doesn't support anything earlier than DIVX 5.0 either.

ThePeter

This is a great update.

The voice changer looks like alot of fun because i spend wayyy too much time in chat and this should be a shift in the paradigm :D

Kweh

MadFuzzy said:
Looks like they've got the same level of DIVX support as on 360, as that doesn't support anything earlier than DIVX 5.0 either.

Oh is that so? That's okay then, I can play all i wanted to so far on 360.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
beermonkey@tehbias.net said:
Yep, they're idiots. Because game invites are really that significant and voice chat really matters when you haven't made that firm a commitment to online gaming in the first place.

Slavik81 said:
There should have been no need to guess when the PS3 has already been supporting WMA for quite awhile now.

MadFuzzy

Kweh said:
Oh is that so? That's okay then, I can play all i wanted to so far on 360.

If you read section 16 here, it explains the situation for 360:

"Why don’t some of my older versions of DivX® files play?

Since we only support Mpeg-4 compatible codec implementations, we will not be able to play video files older than DivX® 5.0."

Looks like Sony have done the same thing.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Voice changer is nice, but how about a goddamn voice message feature? I can attach a 1MB photo to messages but not send audio messages?

CoG

TTP said:
Please elaborate on the implications of this :)

The PS3 already decodes VC-1, as it's the codec used for about 33% of Blu-Ray discs. Now you can playback VC-1 files in WMV containers. Not a huge plus, compared to DivX.

Will Xvid work?

Top Bottom