• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiger Woods 14 not likely for Wii U

NAPK1NS

Terrible waste of a creative outlet, I say. Gentlemen, the possibilities. Polished golfers use the Wii Mote, beginners use the paddle for wider sweep. We can all flail in the TV glow like idiots.

off topic but what game is this? it looks familiar

image.php

Speaking of games not coming to consoles...

Arkam

Seems to me EA wants to forcibly push new console buyers to the next xbox or playstation. Wii U might be getting the Dreamcast treatment. Now I really want to know what went wrong behind the scenes with Nintendo and EA.

no no no!

its more a matter of where to invest in right now. Do you rework your gen3 games to work on WiiU (which is struggling and not the home of the EA sports demographic) OR do you prepare your franchises for the upcoming boxes (taht do house EA sports fans)?

They can always port frojm Gen3 to WiiU later... but only one chance to jump to "next Gen" with consumers on Orbis/Durango.

Its just playing the odds.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Seems to me EA wants to forcibly push new console buyers to the next xbox or playstation. Wii U might be getting the Dreamcast treatment. Now I really want to know what went wrong behind the scenes with Nintendo and EA.
Might just come down to opportunity costs. The personnel that would work on the Wii U port would be just as qualified to work on the new Sony and MS machines, which EA is expecting to have a stronger debut. So more money for the same investment.

I don't see any reason to throw out that hypothesis yet.

JavyOO7

I wish Nintendo would invest in a sports studio or two if third parties aren't going to port any of their sports titles to Wii U.

I remember Ken Griffey Jr Baseball on the SNES and N64 being two excellent titles, for instance. NBA Courtside wasn't so bad. And Nintendo did do Pro Wrestling way back when... geez. Why can't they do a 3d remake of that game? Probably would be better than most of Yuke's Wrestling games. =p

Petrae

TW 14 is 100% not coming to WiiU. FACT!
(sorry if harsh, but its true)

but TW 15... Well lets just say that is a different story ;)

Not sure you can address this, but was the decision not to have Tiger this year on Wii U possibly due to short lead time?

For what it's worth, it's good news that there are future plans moving forward.

no no no!

its more a matter of where to invest in right now. Do you rework your gen3 games to work on WiiU (which is struggling and not the home of the EA sports demographic) OR do you prepare your franchises for the upcoming boxes (taht do house EA sports fans)?

They can always port frojm Gen3 to WiiU later... but only one chance to jump to "next Gen" with consumers on Orbis/Durango.

So basically wait until the next gen versions are out and amazing people with their bump in graphical fidelity, and then release a version that looks like the old Tiger Woods on Wii U? Doesn't sound like a winning plan. Why not give the Wii U a version that looks exactly like the competition this year without making folks feel like they're getting a noticeably inferior title?

It's a shame because the Wii ones were the best versions (Had Disc Golf and Crazy Golf modes)

They had the most included courses and extra modes, but they looked absolutely dreadful. In the end I went with the PS3 version + Move just because of how much better the courses looked and played.

I don't see why there needs to be grand conspiracy. Perhaps the Wii U is simply not meeting expectations in terms of both HW and SW and consequently a Wii U SKU wouldn't provide a good ROI.

Another more reason to bring it on Wii U, then.
How is a catastrophic decline on the Wii platform a good reason to bring it to the Wii's successor?

TW 14 is 100% not coming to WiiU. FACT!
(sorry if harsh, but its true)

but TW 15... Well lets just say that is a different story ;)
Interesting. Do you work for EA/have insider information or something?
EDIT: Oh I got confused and thought this was the other "Arkham".

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Dreamcasting and Gamecubing roll off the tongue pretty easily. Whats the WiiU's equivalent since it seems to be plunging harder and faster than both? WiiUing sounds weird.

Meelow

Banned
I wish Nintendo would invest in a sports studio or two if third parties aren't going to port any of their sports titles to Wii U.

I remember Ken Griffey Jr Baseball on the SNES and N64 being two excellent titles, for instance. NBA Courtside wasn't so bad. And Nintendo did do Pro Wrestling way back when... geez. Why can't they do a 3d remake of that game? Probably would be better than most of Yuke's Wrestling games. =p

And than they'd say "we can't compete with Nintendo!"

EA needs to put some big boy pants on and stop shunning Nintendo over the Origin deal (if it is true of course)

noffles

Banned
These threads are like debate teams in school. Each side is full of idiots, one or two people with valid points and then everyone else is just trying to goad the other side.

I love it.

SMD

no no no!

This is EA we're talking about, they rarely revamp engines - if anything, the Wii U should've been manna from heaven.

Kusagari

Okay, was that rumor about EA wanting to do Wii U's online true or what?

I find it hard to believe EA is Dreamcasting Nintendo for no reason.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
So basically wait until the next gen versions are out and amazing people with their bump in graphical fidelity, and then release a version that looks like the old Tiger Woods on Wii U? Doesn't sound like a winning plan. Why not give the Wii U a version that looks exactly like the competition this year without making folks feel like they're getting a noticeably inferior title?

They had the most included courses and extra modes, but they looked absolutely dreadful. In the end I went with the PS3 version + Move just because of how much better the courses looked and played.

That's just too sensible.

Nintendo developed the WiiU in order to give developers more "creative freedom". Nintendo loves a creative challenge, but 3rd parties have made it clear that they would rather stick to what they know works. If the WiiU is going to take off, Nintendo is going to have to do the innovative grunt work, show a trail of success, and only then will most 3rd parties finally commit to the system. They are content at this time to wait on Nintendo to show them how it's done. I'm sure we'll see more sports games arrive after WiiU Sports releases

JordanN

Banned
Dreamcasting and Gamecubing roll off the tongue pretty easily. Whats the WiiU's equivalent since it seems to be plunging harder and faster than both? WiiUing sounds weird.

Man, Iwata can't be fired soon enough. Getting tired of this lack a daze response.

Damn, the TW games on the Wii were some of my favorites.
If i remember correctly Tiger Woods 09 on the Wii was one of the few multiplat's to outsell the HD twin versions but the TW10 Wii version for whatever reason flopped badly.

Nintendo developed the WiiU in order to give developers more "creative freedom". Nintendo loves a creative challenge, but 3rd parties have made it clear that they would rather stick to what they know works. If the WiiU is going to take off, Nintendo is going to have to do the innovative grunt work, show a trail of success, and only then will most 3rd parties finally commit to the system. They are content at this time to wait on Nintendo to show them how it's done. I'm sure we'll see more sports games arrive after WiiU Sports releases
Thank you, based Nintendo. Save us from our creatively bankrupt selves.

Unfortunately, I am sure that journalists have contact Nintendo about these matters, and they have given the usual "no comment" response. It's not likely that you will hear anyone from the lower levels of the company make any sort of statement. It'd have to be straight from Iwata or Reggie, and there's no easy way to get a statement out of them.

Need to just be straight up and say something along the lines of: "Do you not agree that the continued publisher comments regarding support for your new console, and your subsequent silence on the matter could be detrimental to consumer adoption?"

But yeah, third party support is pretty vital these days...

Lol

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The 360 and PS3 use the Kinect and PS Move controls, right? If so, there's absolutely no excuse for EA not to release a Wii U version.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Vitaing ? Nah, doesn't have the same ring to it. To go the way of Vita ?

But Vita means life...
'Down the WiiUBend' is my best effort, but really it feels forced.

There can't be anything to this Origin WiiU deal. Unless EA actually invested money and Nintendo pulled out, it just seems farfetched.

EA is not entitled to that sort of relationship, this is pure business based on numbers in my opinion.

Arkam

Not sure you can address this, but was the decision not to have Tiger this year on Wii U possibly due to short lead time?

For what it's worth, it's good news that there are future plans moving forward.

Basically yes was a tight timeline to deliver a quality experience. Nintendo was too tight lipped for too long. Believe it or not EA plans its iterative titles about a year in advance, so when you are planning a new SKU to support and you have nothing but big question marks you tend to worry.

I think it was the right call in the end. Unless yall wanted a gimped version with last minute gamepad gimmicks :/

But next year.... :D

Basically yes was a tight timeline to deliver a quality experience. Nintendo was too tight lipped for too long. Believe it or not EA plans its iterative titles about a year in advance, so when you are planning a new SKU to support and you have nothing but big question marks you tend to worry.

I think it was the right call in the end. Unless yall wanted a gimped version with last minute gamepad gimmicks :/

I dont doubt that for a second. Probably the wisest course of action. And I also assume that since you have next gen versions being readied that the other two console makers have delivered the goods in a timely fashion.

From a financial standpoint, you can't blame these developers for taking the "wait and see" approach with the WiiU. For the morst part, budgets for a WiiU game is around that of PS3/360, but the WiiU only has a small fraction of the install base. Right now only Ubisofts ZombiiU is a major 3rd party exclusive title with a PS3/360 budget that I can think of.

So, reading this correctly - and I hope I am - we're looking at Wii U in the mix next year for a TW iteration (presumably built off the Gen 3 builds, with Gen 4 versions out as well) and - possibly - an improvement in the EA/Nintendo situation now that Nintendo is a little less tight-lipped (which would perhaps explain the slate EA brought to launch for the system).

Correct?

Pie and Beans

Not to poo-poo people's livelyhood but by christ I hope the E3 segment doesnt take up half an hour. I think the crowd will actually boo if "unprecedented support/relationship" is mentioned again.

Lynd7

If EA really is shunning the Wii U over an Origin deal that didn't happen, I don't get why, it's not like Nintendo went with a competitor.

Petrae

Thanks so much for your response. It makes sense, and Nintendo fans have something to look forward to for next year.

From a financial standpoint, you can't blame these developers for taking the "wait and see" approach with the WiiU. For the morst part, budgets for a WiiU game is around that of PS3/360, but the WiiU only has a small fraction of the install base. Right now only Ubisofts ZombiiU is a major 3rd party exclusive title with a PS3/360 budget that I can think of.

But that argument doesn't work when they don't take a wait and see approach for the Durango/Orbis and just assume they'll sell well, going as far as ignoring any failures (like the PS3 starting up)

Top Bottom