• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Forkball

Have you ever thought of a game, but don't know the title, or much about it at all? Maybe it was a game from your childhood, or some game that interested you when it was announced but fell off your radar. Post them in this thread and let's see if other GAF posters can help you out.

Anyways, I saw someone mention Battlezone on here and started to think about this tank combat game for the arcade. I think it was from Japan or had some Japanese name. I don't remember much about it except that it was two player and you could fight each other's tanks. One of the tanks was also white I think. Any ideas?

Jswanko

Yes! I used to play the shit out of this demo for PS1 as a kid but i cant remember the game. It had a little kid with pink hair beating up pigs. :lol

Giard

Jswanko said:
Yes! I used to play the shit out of this demo for PS1 as a kid but i cant remember the game. It had a little kid with pink hair beating up pigs. :lol
Tomba.

Awesome awesome game.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Jswanko said:

Holy shit, same here :lol.

Red

Arcade game that was a beat 'em up-RPG IIRC, with a spell that turned enemies into pigs. For a long time thought it was called Eye of the Beholder, but when I picked that game up on SNES, it was definitely not what I was looking for.

There was this NES game in where two players would control separate sides of a chess-like board. The pieces consisted of these fantasy-like monsters (dragons, unicorns, etc.). You'd face your pieces against that of your opponent until one side has been completely eradicated.

I used to play it a lot, but I can't remember its name.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
For the longest time I remembered an arcade game from the 7-11 next door to the arcade we used to go to when we were kids that was sort of a post-apocalyptic top-down car combat game in which you could also get out of the car and run around and shoot people. Took years before the internet allowed me to figure out it was Speed Rumbler.

Which was apparently called Rush & Crash in Europe. Huh.

m3k

Crunched said:
Arcade game that was a shmup-RPG IIRC, with a spell that turned enemies into pigs. For a long time thought it was called Eye of the Beholder, but when I picked that game up on SNES, it was definitely not what I was looking for.

parodius?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Theres this game that ive been trying to remember for a while, but i know for sure that it was created by data east and was made before 95. It was a two player fighting game that i believe had a co-op option. There was a character that was similar to guile in the game, and all the other playable characters were beasts. The guile like character had this move where he would grab the enemy and do a superjump, then slam them into the ground

rpmurphy

There was an old edugame I can't remember the name of. Graphics were like Maniac Mansion, but you were a detective holding a magnifying glass, and the villian looked like some mad scientist who would say "Curses!" or something. :\

StuBurns

Banned
There's a Gameboy JRPG I used to play a ton, and I have no idea what it's called. I've been looking for it on and off for a few years now.

There was this game I played for the Commodore 64 over 20 years ago. You entered ruins and such and went looking for treasure, and monsters tried to kill you along the way. I think it was made by either Accolade or Activision, and i've been trying to remember the name for literal years now.

I've actually asked this on gaf before but I've forgotten the name of it again.

It's like a really horrible filthy murderous society and you're a taxi driver. You're taxi has guns n stuff and u can pick people up too. It's very old, it's pre carmeggeddon. PC/Amiga I think.

NintendosBooger said:
There was this NES game in where two players would control separate sides of a chess-like board. The pieces consisted of these fantasy-like monsters (dragons, unicorns, etc.). You'd face your pieces against that of your opponent until one side has been completely eradicated.

That sounds like Archon.

Forkball said:
Have you ever thought of a game, but don't know the title, or much about it at all? Maybe it was a game from your childhood, or some game that interested you when it was announced but fell off your radar. Post them in this thread and let's see if other GAF posters can help you out.

Anyways, I saw someone mention Battlezone on here and started to think about this tank combat game for the arcade. I think it was from Japan or had some Japanese name. I don't remember much about it except that it was two player and you could fight each other's tanks. One of the tanks was also white I think. Any ideas?
Forkball said:
Just looked it up and that's not it. The tanks in this game weren't futuristic.
Tokyo Wars

Rlan

Not a game, but I used to watch this anime movie with my friends back in the early 90's that I honestly cannot remember its name.

I think the movie was set on a space craft or space station, involved a girl and a guy. They wore white suits and I think the girl died at some point, and fairly gruesomely. The movie had a fair amount of blood too.

nice thread.

when i first bought my playstation it came with a disc with a bunch of game demos on it. there was one in particular that i vaguely remember playing where there was a stage in the shape of a cube, with a glowy-starry thing in the middle that up to for players had to compete with one another to get. a player could move to a corner of the cube, kick the wall, and the entire room would rotate in one direction, messing other players up. also i vaguely remember that there was a timer, and if you didnt do something before the time ran out, your character would catch on fire. also, there was a female voice over counting off the time limit. oh yeah and the characters looked like they wore dirt bike helmets (i think)

BooJoh

NintendosBooger said:

Battle Chess? I don't know if there were dragons or unicorns, but otherwise it kinda fits your description.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saDFlGsxj7c

stuburns said:
There's a Gameboy JRPG I used to play a ton, and I have no idea what it's called. I've been looking for it on and off for a few years now.
More detail would help. Assuming you mean old B&W GameBoy, off the top of my head there's The Final Fantasy Legend/SaGa games and Great Greed.

camineet

Banned
Metal Gear?! said:

Fucking badass awesome game!

21016101.jpg

21005102.jpg

meteos1

There was a typing game I used to play as a kid. It had a ghost that would take you through various rooms in the house to practice typing. All I can remember is that when you go to type out various pieces of classical literature, the ghost said "Let's go to the liiiiiibrary"

Can anyone help?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
A SNES action platformer where you play with a caveman dude. Can't recall anything else but I think he would get upgrades during the stages or something.

andymcc

Banned
Crunched said:
Arcade game that was a beat 'em up-RPG IIRC, with a spell that turned enemies into pigs. For a long time thought it was called Eye of the Beholder, but when I picked that game up on SNES, it was definitely not what I was looking for.

the king of dragons? made by capcom?

Cianalas

I played a lot of Strider and Phantasy Star at a friends house back in the day but never knew what they were until I started reading gaf. Other than those two I can't think of any.

Harteex

I played a NES game at a friend many years ago... It was a game that had different... hmm sports or something. I remember one part of the game being that you drive a boat through gates like in slalom.

So I guess what I'm looking for is a game where you drive a boat through gates (slalom) :p Anyone?

BooJoh

One game I'm always trying to remember was one I played in elementary school, on an Apple II I think. I think it was a spelling game that involved shooting apples with arrows or something. My memory of it is very vague so I could have some details wrong. I know the game had apples in it though.

Fuu said:
A SNES action platformer where you play with a caveman dude. Can't recall anything else but I think he would get upgrades during the stages or something.
Joe & Mac: Caveman Ninja or Super Bonk/BC Kid?

Threi

notag
I think it was a mod, but I remember playing a DOOM-like clone with street fighter characters (I barely remember it...i was under 10 years old at the time)...IIRC a Ryu popped up and hadoukened you in the face :lol

Also this F1 racing game and motorcycle racing game I played the hell out of on my 486. I believe the 3 car choices was Ferrari, McLaren, and Williams.

Also a loooong time ago there was this puzzle game I played like mad on PC, it was shareware so we had to get a guy to change config settings to reset the trial back to level 1. :lol
It um featured this robot that busted bricks but you had to make sure you weren't positioned underneath them because you die if they fall on you.

Another puzzle game, I think it was about a guy who had to save his trapped dog, and involved using mirrors and lasers to destroy robots that kill you on sight. You have to avoid the robots, use blocks to make a safe path back to the exit.

And one more that comes to mind was this PC game I played in elementary school, it was kind of a platformer and you fought ghosts or something (solving problems IIRC, i barely remember this stuff)

Red

andymcc said:
the king of dragons? made by capcom?
Hm. Googled it. Might be it, but I don't think so. Similar, definitely, but I think it's just the type of game. Then again, it's been a long time. I was playing this game probably 13+ years ago. Probably closer to 15 or 16 years, really.

Hm. I think it may have been something in the Dungeons and Dragons line of games. This monster was a boss in it.

w3stfa11

Good thread!

I've been trying to find the name of this game for a long time. I played it with my brother on the Super NES. It was a two-player game, kind of like a shoot 'em up similar to the 1942 game by Capcom. I think it had a helicopter and a tank. That's about all I can remember.

Btw, not sure if anyone ever played Number Munchers but I rediscovered the game earlier this month. Brings back so many memories.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_Munchers

stonedwal

MrPing1000 said:
I've actually asked this on gaf before but I've forgotten the name of it again.

It's like a really horrible filthy murderous society and you're a taxi driver. You're taxi has guns n stuff and u can pick people up too. It's very old, it's pre carmeggeddon. PC/Amiga I think.
Sounds like Quarantine.

Madman

There's one game who's name I don't remember that sticks out. It was a Sega CD game that was a shooter sidescroller with space crafts that kind of looked like an elaborate Gundam. Hard and often frantic, but pretty awesome game. Can not remember the name at all. :(

JaseMath

I remember playing this shmup on the PSone and for some reason I remember it being a Square game. God, it was awesome...!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ah there was another demo me and my cousins used to play the shit out of. It was on the PS1 and was a shoot em up. Took place in a dark maybe, futuristic city. This was many years ago so sorry for the extremely vague description.

Shareware game for the mac where you played as a dog. Had simple 2d animation. The final boss was your own computer. Probably a pretty crappy game but when I was a kid I loved it.

2 of them.

An arcade game where you play as a ninja. He was green and used scythes. He looked like a kid

Another was on the nes. You were a ninja, and could turn into an animal by holding a button down.

Pancakes

Crunched said:
Einhander?

Two birds with one stone, exactly what I was looking for as well :lol .

It was a Game Boy game where you could fight as robots. I remember being able to choose between different kinds of robots, like a fast and weak one, a slow and strong one, etc.

I tried looking for it, but the closest thing I could find was Robopon, which definitely isn't it. When you were fighting, it was like a fighting game, not an RPG.

EDIT: Oh wow, found it finally, it's called Power Quest.

B.K.

There are a few that I used to play back in elementary school. I think they were old Apple games.

In one game, you had to put together different pieces on a rocket and try to get it into orbit.

Another game had a similar concept, except that you were putting together a drag race car to see how far you could go.

A third was a game that took place on the moon. You controlled a rover and had to shoot enemies.

LevelNth

Banned
I use to play this game on the original Game Boy. You were in a spacesuit on a space station, and had to often grab air tanks to refill your air supply, on these Q-Bert-esque puzzle hill things. Haven't been able to remember the name of this game for years.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I have nothing to go on for this game I'm trying to remember except that

1. It was on the original game boy
2. It was a fighting game
3. I think maybe one of the characters could jump off the side of the screen and come back with the hard ass attack to dodge, kind of like Vega in SF2 but he would actually go completely off the screen.

And I'm not even all that sure about #3. :lol Super vague, but I know I'll remember it when I see it.

::edit::
Also, I think all the matches actually took place in a ring, like a boxing ring with ropes and such.

Top Bottom