• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That homescreen is almost as ugly as the transition animation. There's a separate thread for homescreen shots, so that I don't have to be visually assaulted without preparing myself.

That homescreen is almost as ugly as the transition animation. There's a separate thread for homescreen shots, so that I don't have to be visually assaulted without preparing myself.

wtf? If you do not customize android you might like IOS better. Big reason why people should android is customization and freedom. Ios is better option otherwise security and apps wise. Home screen is fine and I got good icon pack because of that.

Noema

If you do not customize android you should go back to IOS.

This is a false and baseless generalization. I couldn't disagree more.

Just because someone decides not to use a custom icon pack or alter the appearance of the launcher doesn't make one 'less worthy' of Android. That's a very superficial way of looking at the strengths of the platform.

shingi70

Banned
I'm picking up an ipad tomororow and a new phone next week. Been android all my electronics using life. Unsure if I should try out an iphone or keep with android. There's no nexus device on T-mobile so whats the best out of.

LG G5
S7 & S7 Edge
iphone 6s+
Htc 10

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
wtf? If you do not customize android you might like IOS better. Big reason why people should android is customization and freedom. Ios is better option otherwise security and apps wise. Home screen is fine and I got good icon pack because of that.
I did not argue against the right to make homescreens look like garbage. I just said it looked like garbage.

Red Devil

Well nevermind, my issue with Google Drive fixed itself, tried the update again and now it works. No idea why it didn't work when it updated last time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ctfg23

Anyone else unable to preview songs in the play store? When I try I get a small red exclamation point. This is only happening with my 6P, my old phones and web browser work fine.

Quasar

This is a false and baseless generalization. I couldn't disagree more.

Just because someone decides not to use a custom icon pack or alter the appearance of the launcher doesn't make one 'less worthy' of Android. That's a very superficial way of looking at the strengths of the platform.

Yeah. Mine isn't really customised. I'm pretty much happy with the pure experience. I never really do it with desktops either. Hell I find character designers in videgames pretty uninteresting too. I tend to just hit random till something interesting comes along.

Asgaro

I loll'ed.

I thought the icons getting displayed in a triangle, and then in a reserve triangle on the second homescreen, was a nice idea. It looks like you are literally flipping the triangle.

The overabundance of widgets is simply because I like stats.
Also note the 2 thin lines right above and beneath the status bar displaying battery usage and CPU usage.
Stats whore, I am.

Found a fabulous live wallpaper: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tyron.pixel
And it isn't a resource hog.

Also, yay for getting mobile footage into gifs!
TxpDsrF.gif

Using https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hecorat.screenrecorder.free

Cheers for the app link

Mine looks pretty dull compared to yours

20160520100511100557.gif

The biggest strength of android is that it’s not a one vendor ecosystem, but with the incessant adulation of everything stock or homogenization ala Apple or Nexus by some here, I for one wish these people would just fuck off to Apple tbh.

The I/O that keeps on giving.

Current Nexus Devices Will Not Get The New Seamless Update Feature From Android N

Implementing seamless updates on the Nexus 5X or 6P, for example, would require repartitioning the entire phone, and wouldn't be possible for an end user to complete without hooking the phone up to a computer, allegedly - it would just be a pain, in short. While references to seamless updates have been found in the latest N developer preview, it was confirmed to us that these have no bearing on existing devices getting seamless updates.

As such, it's exceedingly unlikely we'll see seamless updates implemented on any existing Android devices by any manufacturer, and instead that we'll only see it on new hardware running N or above out of the box going forward. For example, on new Nexus devices later this year.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...e-new-seamless-update-feature-from-android-n/

Night Mode And Dark Theme Are Very Unlikely To Ship In Android N

Dark theme was a matter of consistency, at least to some extent, where getting it to look right across all parts of the OS and every app was difficult. As for night mode's color shifts (adjust tint/brightness), Sandler said it really just came down to the way it had been implemented not being great. Performance was poor because it used the accessibility features of the OS, which are notoriously slow, and as such the feature wasn't deemed up to snuff.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...theme-are-very-unlikely-to-ship-in-android-n/

Quasar

Well...we got one Google Fit talk at least, which I did watch. Sadly not moving far enough or fast enough. Adding some auto-tracking of activities, but not really expanding the range of activities or the kinds of data collected.

Whereas I've been hoping for Google to expand beyond fitness with it into some health info.

Really am wondering just how much of a hit androidWear devices will take batterywise with standalone apps.Of course its not like theres many androidWear devices with cellular anyway.

Bboy AJ

I understand the update thing. It's a partition issue.

Good on dark mode not shipping. Just give us stock Flux.

I understand the update thing. It's a partition issue.

Good on dark mode not shipping. Just give us stock Flux.

I get that, but maybe let those that are happy doing the repartition do it and get the seemless? Being fair I will probably be updating my 6P to whatever Nexus comes next, assuming it's a decent enough upgrade.

Hasney

I get that, but maybe let those that are happy doing the repartition do it and get the seemless? Being fair I will probably be updating my 6P to whatever Nexus comes next, assuming it's a decent enough upgrade.

They'd probably then have to push two versions of each update every time for the older devices. One for those who did the partioning and a regular one.

Bboy AJ

So another day. Do I dirty flash ota my N6P?

Hasney

So another day. Do I dirty flash ota my N6P?

Nothing seems to have happened overnight with the 6P so may as well go for it. Because they are minor changes, I forget I even flashed it until I double hit the all switcher or go split screen. It's easily daily driver ready.

Groof

Day 1 back with the n5. It's 1pm and I'm closing in on my need to charge a second time.

Please send help

Hasney

Found my first annoyance on the N beta, but it's probably very specific to me. I listen to some podcasts that don't have a feed so usually I just download then from the website and Play Music picks it up and adds it to the library. It isn't doing that right now.

EDIT: Reboot didn't fix it, but it may be 6P specific. The Pixel C picked it up fine.

my GF is getting Google Play Reward surveys every day and here I am having not got one in like a month D:

Yeah I'm about a month without now, seem to come in fits and starts really. It's all very random. My partner and I both have the Withings app on our Android devices and the smart scales associated. I got a survey offer for a free Activité Pop and she got nothing. Random is random.

terrier

my GF is getting Google Play Reward surveys every day and here I am having not got one in like a month D:

same happened to me. Last months hardly a couple of them, i almos did 12€ in 3 months... but since then. My wife already +18€ an she started in february :/

I hope google implement family sharing options in apps asap, so we can use this for our kids accounts for games and such.

She even gets some surveys asking if we use wifi router and some weird tech questions when she doesn't care about that and i do. seems random, except when you go shopping often.

Day 1 back with the n5. It's 1pm and I'm closing in on my need to charge a second time.

Please send help

That's my life right now. Close to ordering a new battery on Amazon (from a 3rd party, of course), but I'm not sure if the knock-offs for 10-15 bucks are really better than the 1000 mAh that are left in my current battery.

thenexus6

I got a Huawei P8 Lite the other day and experiencing two weird things with it.

1) I am getting no lock screen media controls apart from the built in music app. No youtube, pocket casts, spotify or anything. What gives?

2) If I am on the lock screen and press the volume up / down buttons nothing happens. To change the volume or ring profile you actually have to be on the home screen with the phone unlocked.

I am using Nova launcher, but tried with the Huawei launcher and looked around settings and online but can't find anything.

Watevaman

Got my S7 yesterday. Feels really fast and fluid compared to my Lumia Icon I came from. One thing I absolutely love and am surprised it isn't on all phones is wi-fi calling. I have absolutely no signal at my house but do have wi-fi. Called my girlfriend yesterday from home and it sounded great, just as clear as if I was on a cell signal.

Bboy AJ

Enrolled in beta. Installing now. I am proud of myself for holding off of the initial developer previews. That took a lot of patience on my end and tbh, I'm not very patient.

I'm picking up an ipad tomororow and a new phone next week. Been android all my electronics using life. Unsure if I should try out an iphone or keep with android. There's no nexus device on T-mobile so whats the best out of.

LG G5
S7 & S7 Edge
iphone 6s+
Htc 10

My vote is an HTC 10 with a Pixel C :)
However, you can grab Nexus devices from Google store and they will work with Tmobile fine. It is best to wait for the new Nexus at this point though.

Jigolo

Enrolled in beta. Installing now. I am proud of myself for holding off of the initial developer previews. That took a lot of patience on my end and tbh, I'm not very patient.

almost shaking in my boots for your shitty impressions

Noema

Biggest issue I've found in the N preview is that it'll stop reporting battery stats after a while.

Also idle battery drain when non stationary seems pretty bad. Worse than 6.0.1.

Saiyan-Rox

Bring on the bootloop!

Ha this actually did happen to me once in the old previews :p

Also changing the wallpaper on the pixel c N beta is a tad slow it just hangs there for a bit after selecting the wallpaper and I hate this selection for both lock and home screen. I've always wanted both Stahp asking <.<

Saiyan-Rox

Something strange on mine, it's standard N preview 6P and yet I've managed to get different wallpapers for lockscreen and homescreen :-/

Using a third party launcher? If so switch to Google now launcher and change it there. They've added a new wallpaper picker where you can have different images but ATM you can only change it in the Google launcher wallpaper picker

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Yeah I'm about a month without now, seem to come in fits and starts really. It's all very random. My partner and I both have the Withings app on our Android devices and the smart scales associated. I got a survey offer for a free Activité Pop and she got nothing. Random is random.

same happened to me. Last months hardly a couple of them, i almos did 12€ in 3 months... but since then. My wife already +18€ an she started in february :/

I hope google implement family sharing options in apps asap, so we can use this for our kids accounts for games and such.

She even gets some surveys asking if we use wifi router and some weird tech questions when she doesn't care about that and i do. seems random, except when you go shopping often.

Meanwhile in Vanilla land...

Top Bottom