• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this game collection worth $35,000? (eBay)

Saw this under "popular" on ebay front page, currently the highest priced listing under games.

Quality Over Quantity Huge Video Game Collection

IMG_8213.jpg

Includes many rare complete gba, snes, ps1, sega cd, saturn, dreamcast, ps3, ds, and more. Some(not many) are sealed. All games in the pictures are included.

If you need to know the condition of a certain game let me know. THERE IS A LIST OF THE GAMES BELOW THE PICTURES.

Notable mentions include:

*Complete copy of Earthbound in Very Good Condition

*Snatcher and The Space Adventure on Sega CD

*Suikoden II on PS1

*Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut with Box on Nintendo 64

*2 Sealed Copies of Infinite Space on the DS

*Sealed copies of Paper Mario and NFL Blitz Special Edition(blockbuster only release) on Nintendo 64

*Majority of the DS/PS3/360/Wii/PSP games are sealed(the ones that are horizontal are sealed, the ones that are stacked are opened and complete)

*Sealed PSP LEs(including all the YS's)

*Metroid Prime Trilogy Sealed for Wii

*Metroid Prime/Zelda Wind Waker Combo Sealed for Gamecube(seal has a rip)

*Very rare Complete GBA Games(Ninja 5-O, Wings, Pink Panther, many more)

*Some sealed collector's/limited editions for current gen consoles(on the top shelf in the closet pic, cant really see them, ill provide a pic if needed)

IMG_8184.jpg

IMG_8185.jpg

IMG_8190.jpg

IMG_8221.jpg

(not sure how multiple copies of games helps his "quality over quantity" claim)

Many more pictures and a full list of games at the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quality-Ove...260977931298&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m1374

My questions:

1. Do you think this collection is worth 35k? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it, but my gut reaction is "Hell No"; it's not the biggest or most impressive game collection I have seen, not by a long shot... and $35k sound very nice right about now.

He got an informal offer in the comments for 25k, which he turned down.

2. I wonder how many games there are in total, I don't think he listed a number.

3. I wonder what reasons would drive someone to sell a personal collection of that size.

Wrekt

I don't understand selling giant game collections all at once. It seems like most people who would be interested in such a thing probably already has a large amount of the games in that collection.

I think it is worth a nice chunk of change, but no way is that 35k.

Maybe their significant other wants them to get rid of it? Maybe they need the money?
They finally out grew video games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Based solely on what's in the OP, his most valuable games seem to be in the $100-200 range, while some of the less valuable ones aren't really worth anything ($5-10). He doesn't seem to have 175 titles in the $200 range, or 350 in the $100 range. So I'd guess that $35k is a bit steep.

That being said, if it sells, it sells!

Edit: 686 games, so he'd have to average $51 a game to hit $35k.

I don't see any of the holy SS games in there (PDS, SF3, RS, etc).
I didn't see any of the important Neo stuff in there.
I didn't see any important NES stuff in there.

No way.

Danielsan

No game collection is worth $35.000 in my book.
Well, unless it includes a warehouse filled with 100+ prestine arcade cabinets or something crazy like that.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Pretty weak collection. I'd drop a 3, 5, or a 0 off of the number and he'd be in the ballpark. Most of the current gen stuff is still readily available, and unless you're selling the old ones by themselves, shoved in a collection, they won't get their full value. If I wanted Suikoden II on PS1 I surely wouldn't buy a whole collection for that, and I imagine a lot in the collection most people wouldn't want.

ZeroCoin

There's no way I would pay that much for that collection. If I was going to buy games off ebay I would either be looking for a specific title, or a giant collection of random stuff.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
When I saw $35,000 I was expecting a lot more. His stuff seems to be in decent condition, and complete SNES games are a nice touch, but there's not nearly enough stuff there to bring the value quite that high.

I was thinking the other day what, if I ever wanted to, I could sell my collection(s) for. I think I could probably get $750-$1,000 for my Saturn stuff, and maybe like $1,000-$1,500 for my Dreamcast stuff (though maybe I'm lowballing here, I do have a lot of DC shit). For the other consoles I don't think I'd approach that. And honestly, while that would be a nice amount of money to have, I don't think it'd be worth selling. They're worth so much more to me than the cash value. That's kind of cool and sucky all at the same time.

smr00

Banned
I don't understand just buying a collection. Isn't the point of collecting searching things out?
Some people like me have 0 places in my town that sell retro games.

My only source of buying retro is ebay/amazon.

As for 35k, is it worth it? if you were to individually price each game then add all those high end ebay prices together for one big price? yes i can guarantee it would come out to around 35k. But would anyone pay 35k for it? im going with no.

RDreamer

I'm more interested in knowing what would drive someone to sell seemingly their entire collection.

If I had a large collection I would probably list it for a inordinately high amount of money, too. If you get it, then awesome, you've now got way more than it's worth. If you don't, you've still got your games. It's win/win.

iclash

no panzer dragoon saga or radiant silvergun. 35,000 is way to much. Is one of the dudes from Comic Book Guys selling this?

bjork

I'm more interested in knowing what would drive someone to sell seemingly their entire collection.

Life change, circumstance change, etc. When I sold mine it was due to having sorted through all of my mom's things when she died, realizing she hadn't used most of the things she owned. I looked at my room of cool gaming stuff and knew I was never going to play most of it, and that I'd already gotten all the excitement out of looking at it on a shelf that I would ever get. So, sold off almost all of it, kept the things I would use, and I only miss parts of it.

LiK

Some people like me have 0 places in my town that sell retro games.

My only source of buying retro is ebay/amazon.

As for 35k, is it worth it? if you were to individually price each game then add all those high end ebay prices together for one big price? yes i can guarantee it would come out to around 35k. But would anyone pay 35k for it? im going with no.
he should at least sell them in lots by system. better chance of selling but I assume he's not that serious if he turned down $25k

SmokyDave

As someone that sold a larger collection than that (although much less 'prestigious'), clutter. I just sat and looked around my games room one day and realised that 95% of the stuff in there was 'useless'. I mean, I owned it and I could look at it and stuff, but ultimately I was mostly playing the same current-gen games as everyone else. Having so much 'stuff' (even sexy stuff) just became a burden.

I think it might be the reason that I'm nearly 100% digital distribution nowadays. I never want to own that much 'clutter' again.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As someone that sold a larger collection than that (although much less 'prestigious'), clutter. I just sat and looked around my games room one day and realised that 95% of the stuff in there was 'useless'. I mean, I owned it and I could look at it and stuff, but ultimately I was mostly playing the same current-gen games as everyone else. Having so much 'stuff' (even sexy stuff) just became a burden.

This goes far beyond games; I would say 95% of everything everyone owns period is junk that they could do without with only minor adaptations and loss of quality of life.

Scotch

I understand the seller, I don't understand the buyer. Isn't the whole joy of a collection the, you know, collecting part?

I'd have taken that $25000 in a heartbeat.

Coolwhip

Banned
Depends on what rare games he has. His list of notables is pretty crappy though. Sealed metroid prime series? I can probably still buy that somewhere.

I was actually going through old games myself this week to organise them a bit. Lots of nostalgia, especially the gold NES Zelda cartridge. Sadly I threw away the box :/

About the 25k comment, that's most likely the guy himself.

Top Bottom