• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Community |OT2| You just activated my trap card!

Its probably a card about love or friendship. That would make that name fitting.

Now the Spanish translations ooooooooh boy, going from Golden Ladybug to "La Vaca de San Antonio Dorada" is quite something.

Thankfully most of the product here is from the US.

Nah, its picture was revealed (really low quality though), can't clearly make out what effects it has. It's related to Magical Exemplar
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Magical_Something

Fj0823

Meteor Dragon and Black Meteor Dragon are kinda back! as Red-Eyes Support

ClwKYPfVYAY1YjD.jpg

Red-Eyes Meteor Dragon
Level 6 DARK Dragon-Type Gemini Effect Monster
1800 ATK
2000 DEF
(1) This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard.
(2) While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect.
● “Red-Eyes” monsters you control (other than this card) cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects.

Meteo-Black Dragon

Level 8 DARK Dragon-Type Fusion Effect Monster
3500 ATK
2000 DEF
Fusion Materials: 1 Level 7 “Red-Eyes” monster + 1 Level 6 Dragon-Type monster
(1) If this card is Fusion Summoned: You can activate this effect; send 1 “Red-Eyes” monster from your hand or Deck to the Graveyard, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to half its original ATK.
(2) If this card is sent from the Monster Zone to the Graveyard: You can target 1 Normal Monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it.

Regiruler

I like rituals but I hate Nekroz, deck gave me hell when I first started playing again and their turns took too damn long.

Cyber Angels are pretty fun although their playstyle honestly takes a lot of nods from nekroz (that said you can splash in a lot of classic light rituals like reshef or shinato and they're not actually terrible).

Prediction Princess is the only other big option, although that varies wildly in how its built.

Whoa, I'm glad Meteor Black Dragon doesn't require Normal Monsters like Archfiend Black Skull Dragon.
I see they're continuing with Red-Eyes Geminis, the Chemical Beasts and Spark Field should be useful for Red-Eyes. :)

Applebite

So I'm rewatching GX (Jp version) for some reason - I probably wouldn't call it the best series but I think it aired during the time I was most into the game, so I have stronger memories of it. I stopped sometime around 2009 I think, right when Blackwing were starting to become the big thing (I think DAD decks, Lightsworn and Gladiator Beasts were super popular?), but now I'm kinda wanting to play the game again. I play a lot of Hearthstone but the archetypes, synergy and general combos just aren't as fun to me as YGO was.

What's the go-to online client / game to play this stuff nowadays? I remember playing on what I think was called YVD back then, but the stuff shown in the OP seems a lot better than what we had then. Is it gonna be impossible for me to adapt to the new metagame? I'm used to Synchros and I familiarized myself with the new types but goddamn does the metagame seem different.

EMT0

Banned
Cyber Angels are pretty fun although their playstyle honestly takes a lot of nods from nekroz (that said you can splash in a lot of classic light rituals like reshef or shinato and they're not actually terrible).

Prediction Princess is the only other big option, although that varies wildly in how its built.

My favorite ritual deck is mashing together Cyber Angels and Prediction Princess and throwing in Saffira for fun and added Ritual Monster protection.

Your worst enemy is anything that can bounce cards to hand, though.

So I'm rewatching GX (Jp version) for some reason - I probably wouldn't call it the best series but I think it aired during the time I was most into the game, so I have stronger memories of it. I stopped sometime around 2009 I think, right when Blackwing were starting to become the big thing (I think DAD decks, Lightsworn and Gladiator Beasts were super popular?), but now I'm kinda wanting to play the game again. I play a lot of Hearthstone but the archetypes, synergy and general combos just aren't as fun to me as YGO was.

What's the go-to online client / game to play this stuff nowadays? I remember playing on what I think was called YVD back then, but the stuff shown in the OP seems a lot better than what we had then. Is it gonna be impossible for me to adapt to the new metagame? I'm used to Synchros and I familiarized myself with the new types but goddamn does the metagame seem different.

Welcome! I'd recommend using YugiohPro to play online. As for the metagame, the most competitive decks out at the moment don't use any new summoning methods with the exception of PK Fire(a mashup of Burning Abyss and Phantom Knights). If you're looking for some fun though, plenty of synchro decks are viable and can make some crazy plays. Speedroids and (Japanese) D/D/Ds being some that come to mind quickly. If you're in doubt of what to try, look at some youtube videos of deck profiles for some ideas. I'd personally recommend KaminaKat, a relatively unknown but fun Youtuber with a good sense of humor and some legitimately good ideas every once in a while. One crazy example off the top of my head, a one-turn kill with King's Knight and Brilliant Fusion(a two card combo).

Applebite

Welcome! I'd recommend using YugiohPro to play online. As for the metagame, the most competitive decks out at the moment don't use any new summoning methods with the exception of PK Fire(a mashup of Burning Abyss and Phantom Knights). If you're looking for some fun though, plenty of synchro decks are viable and can make some crazy plays. Speedroids and (Japanese) D/D/Ds being some that come to mind quickly. If you're in doubt of what to try, look at some youtube videos of deck profiles for some ideas. I'd personally recommend KaminaKat, a relatively unknown but fun Youtuber with a good sense of humor and some legitimately good ideas every once in a while. One crazy example off the top of my head, a one-turn kill with King's Knight and Brilliant Fusion(a two card combo).
Thanks for the info duder. I don't have a problem with learning new types or anything, but I get the feeling that understanding what is viable in the metagame, what to expect in certain situations and whatnot is a pretty big undertaking considering the number of cards that exist at this point. Is there any one decktype that is relatively simple while also viable, in the same way that something like Monarchs or Gadgets were? I guess I'm just asking if there's any modern equivelant to like a toolbox or a Monarch deck, haha. The inclusion of XYZ or Pendulum cards wouldn't be a problem, either, just looking for something to play as I familiarize myself with what everyone else is playing.

EMT0

Banned
Thanks for the info duder. I don't have a problem with learning new types or anything, but I get the feeling that understanding what is viable in the metagame, what to expect in certain situations and whatnot is a pretty big undertaking considering the number of cards that exist at this point. Is there any one decktype that is relatively simple while also viable, in the same way that something like Monarchs or Gadgets were? I guess I'm just asking if there's any modern equivelant to like a toolbox or a Monarch deck, haha. The inclusion of XYZ or Pendulum cards wouldn't be a problem, either, just looking for something to play as I familiarize myself with what everyone else is playing.

It's funny you mention Monarchs, haha. Monarchs are currently top of the food pyramid ever since the release of their new structure deck. There's two variants, Domain Monarchs and XYZ Monarchs. Domain Monarchs are the more straightforward and cheaper version, focusing on locking your opponent out of the extra deck, and as a result don't use the Extra Deck. XYZ Monarchs use the Extra Deck to great effect and as a result, don't really run March or Domain IIRC.

SaviourMK2

I've been slightly interested in playing again since they made an archetype out of my favorite monster, Buster Blader.

Is the deck moderately competitive?

Escargo

I've been slightly interested in playing again since they made an archetype out of my favorite monster, Buster Blader.

Is the deck moderately competitive?

It's not competitive since it loses its resources pretty quickly. Against other decks it is still pretty gimmicky. Though it is fun since it's an interesting deck.

EMT0

Banned
It's not competitive since it loses its resources pretty quickly. Against other decks it is still pretty gimmicky. Though it is fun since it's an interesting deck.

Maybe pure Buster Blader is a bit gimmicky, but BB mixed with Blue-Eyes support like Sage can actually do some pretty crazy boards and straight up stop your opponent from playing Yugioh.

Ricky 7

Red-eyes Meteor Dragon isn't a good card. It's effect to too hard to activate considering it doesn't protect against being specifically targeted.
The fusion is alright but nothing brilliant. I just want some cards that will at least put Red-eyes in the same league as Blue-eyes or maybe even Dark Magician.

EMT0

Banned
Red-eyes Meteor Dragon isn't a good card. It's effect to too hard to activate considering it doesn't protect against being specifically targeted.
The fusion is alright but nothing brilliant. I just want some cards that will at least put Red-eyes in the same league as Blue-eyes or maybe even Dark Magician.

I see what you did there ;)

Applebite

It's funny you mention Monarchs, haha. Monarchs are currently top of the food pyramid ever since the release of their new structure deck. There's two variants, Domain Monarchs and XYZ Monarchs. Domain Monarchs are the more straightforward and cheaper version, focusing on locking your opponent out of the extra deck, and as a result don't use the Extra Deck. XYZ Monarchs use the Extra Deck to great effect and as a result, don't really run March or Domain IIRC.
Haha really? I remember once Raiza came out they were the big thing, somehow I'm not surprised they're still around. I'll give it a shot, thanks bud.

Edit: I'm also kind of shocked to see that ritual cards are viable now?

Fj0823

Haha really? I remember once Raiza came out they were the big thing, somehow I'm not surprised they're still around. I'll give it a shot, thanks bud.

Edit: I'm also kind of shocked to see that ritual cards are viable now?

Oh yeah, Konami finally stopped wanking to the mechanic of the year and is now buffing everything!

EMT0

Banned
That sounds great. I think I noticed they've been far more generous with reprints too?

My impression as someone that's only been around for a year is that yes, they have. They also doubled the frequency of ultras and secrets in boosters and guarantee a holo in every booster pack as of Shining Victories, IIRC.

cheesekao

So I've been meaning to get back into some online YGO but I haven't played for a while now (before Pendulums). I'd like to know if people still play a lot of dark monsters in the current meta. Around the time I stopped playing, I had to constantly deal with Dark Worlds and Inzektors so I ran 3 shadow-imprisoning mirrors and a slew of other anti-monster effect/special-summoning cards. I essentially play anti-meta or gimmick decks.

Also, do people still spend most of their time searching their decks and chaining effects and special summons because that bugged me a lot.

Regiruler

So I've been meaning to get back into some online YGO but I haven't played for a while now (before Pendulums). I'd like to know if people still play a lot of dark monsters in the current meta. Around the time I stopped playing, I had to constantly deal with Dark Worlds and Inzektors so I ran 3 shadow-imprisoning mirrors and a slew of other anti-monster effect/special-summoning cards. I essentially play anti-meta or gimmick decks.

Also, do people still spend most of their time searching their decks and chaining effects and special summons because that bugged me a lot.

Anti-meta is actually fairly strong right now due to card of demise. The problem is it usually has a poor time against Monarch.

The new frog support is really good and cute! I love stealing cards. :D
7YSPvQo.png

Treatoad
2 Level 2 Aqua-Type monsters
Once per turn, during the Standby Phase: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon 1 "Frog" monster from your Deck, except "Frog the Jam". Once per turn, during either player's turn, when your opponent activates a Spell/Trap Card, or monster effect: You can send 1 Aqua-Type monster from your hand or field to the Graveyard; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card, then you can Set the destroyed card on your field. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 WATER monster in your Graveyard; add it to your hand.

Seems like a pretty good effect and attack for just a rank 2 XYZ. Also, why does every frog support card go out its way to exclude "Frog the Jam"? A weak normal monster that nobody uses anyway.
It has to do with Frog the Jam's japanese name.

This card is not considered a "Frog" monster, since its Japanese name spells "Frog" 「カエル」 (Kaeru), while other "Frog" cards spell it 「ガエル」 (Gaeru).
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Trivia:Frog_the_Jam

EMT0

Banned
The new frog support is really good and cute! I love stealing cards. :D

This card is crazy, especially if you can get out multiples. Merging Graydles with Frogs went so-so. You don't really keep as much hand advantage with Graydles as you would other decks so I end up blowing up my own Treatoads to negate. But when it comes time to bring out stupidly good fields, Graydles can be the lynchpin.

Also Frogs make it easier to Trishula :3

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Seems like a pretty good effect and attack for just a rank 2 XYZ. Also, why does every frog support card go out its way to exclude "Frog the Jam"? A weak normal monster that nobody uses anyway.

The wiki says its because it isn't a "Frog" card in Japan.

Likely would have saved a lot of card text to just let it slide, or put out an Errata in Japan to say it counts as a Frog (Like they did with all the early Archfiends in English). The card was released in a single set 1999 in Japan, and as promotional card in 2002 in NA, before the Frog Archetype was created in 2005, and it only got put in what looks a few random non-english Tournament packs since.

Regiruler

This card is crazy, especially if you can get out multiples. Merging Graydles with Frogs went so-so. You don't really keep as much hand advantage with Graydles as you would other decks so I end up blowing up my own Treatoads to negate. But when it comes time to bring out stupidly good fields, Graydles can be the lynchpin.

Also Frogs make it easier to Trishula :3
Graydles can already trishula if you run a level 3 tuner (IE GOSR).

Fj0823

Getting a bit sick of the nostalgia whoring at this point.

Worse thing is that "Old School Only" guys are likely never going to use the new support.

Dahbomb

So far seen like 50 or so episodes of YGO Arc V.

Man stuff has kicked up a notch, this is some DC multi-universe stuff up in here! Also seems like every dimension corresponds to a prevoius YGO series(Fusion dimension is GX/original YGO and Synchro dimension is 5DS)! I had my suspicions but in the most recent episode they had a god damn billboard of Jack Atlas in the Synchro dimension!

But man... why the gotta shaft Ritual dimension like that? Would've been cool to have a Ritual dimension too just for completion sake.

Fj0823

So far seen like 50 or so episodes of YGO Arc V.

Man stuff has kicked up a notch, this is some DC multi-universe stuff up in here! Also seems like every dimension corresponds to a prevoius YGO series(Fusion dimension is GX/original YGO and Synchro dimension is 5DS)! I had my suspicions but in the most recent episode they had a god damn billboard of Jack Atlas in the Synchro dimension!

But man... why the gotta shaft Ritual dimension like that? Would've been cool to have a Ritual dimension too just for completion sake.

You have no idea how cool it gets with that

Also Xyz dimension is the city Zexal takes place in...it was deservedly burn to the ground in Arc V

Dahbomb

Yeah I guessed XYZ dimension is based on Zexal but I haven't seen Zexal so couldn't say for sure. Still this is a pretty cool way to tie in all the series together.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

There still may be. In one of the more recent episodes, a character gets a fully decked out animation for a Ritual Summon they use, and they likely will be a recurring character. Its grasping at straws, but I think they may end up getting their own Dimension and be the "big bad" of the series.

There still may be. In one of the more recent episodes, a character gets a fully decked out animation for a Ritual Summon they use, and they likely will be a recurring character. Its grasping at straws, but I think they may end up getting their own Dimension and be the "big bad" of the series.

If you're talking about Asuka Tenjoin then she's a fusion dimension character since she's is a character from the GX era, most of her cards from GX deals with Ritual with a bit of Fusion

With how rituals got treated like the red headed step child in the game for so long I'd be pretty shocked if they turned out to be the strongest/big bad of the dimensions.

Top Bottom