• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it wrong to get a pet to fight loneliness?

Laekon

I'm an older guy going back to school and find my place feeling really lonely after a long day of class or clinical. Between friends being married with kids and the oddness that is online dating over 35 I spend a lot of time at home. Now some kittens are going to be available in a few weeks and I was thinking of getting one. I like cats and have owned them before but it was a decade ago. Am I crazy in thinking loneliness is a bad reason to get a pet or is that actually a good reason? Most of my friends get pets to prove they can take care of something before having kids so I guess that's not really any better.

OnPoint

Many people consider pets to be companions. They are also said to increase happiness and general well-being.

It is not wrong.

FUME5

So long as you treat it right.

I'd guess the number one reason for most people to get pets is companionship.

NandoGip

Tbh my dog saved my life probably. Very deep dark place and she forced me to care for something and her unconsitional love set me on the right path

MIMIC

Banned
That would be the perfect reason to get a pet.

And if you're getting kittens, be sure to feed them lots and lots of pizza.

If you are going to treat it well and give it a good caring home, then no, it's the best thing you will do for you and your new pet

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Go to your local shelter.
Just make sure you are prepared to spend the time they need, and have the money for food and occasional Vet visits.

Abhor

Nothing wrong with it. Playing with my cat is always a go-to way to relax; puts a smile right on my face.

Adnor

Banned
No, one of the reasons we adopted a dog a month ago was to make our house a more lively place after my father's death.

There is a cat/dog out there in the same situation. The only difference is they get euthanized if they can't find somebody.

The Kree

Banned
No.

Kidnapping to fight loneliness is wrong.

Waking someone up from cryosleep in the middle of a hundred year-long flight to another planet to fight loneliness is wrong.

With a dog you can tale it for walks and possibly meet more people that way.

Cats are really cool too though, it would not be a bad idea.

Salamando

Consider adopting an older cat. Their personalities will be more established; it'll be more clear how good a match they are for you.

Babyshams

It's like the first or second best reason to get a pet, the other being for a purpose/job like herding or something.

Just don't be a shitty pet owner

dottme

I would just to recommend to think of the constraint to have a pet.
The pet can help to fight loneliness. But it will be there all the time. Not only when you are looking for it.

Laekon

I finish school soon and will be in a field with rotating 12 hour shifts. I also live in an apartment so I don't see myself getting a dog as it wouldn't good for it or I'd have to spend a lot on care. The kitten is a stray so I feels its the same as getting one at a shelter. I am worried about a kitten F'ing my stuff up though to be honest. It's not the value, I just don't want to be a person with torn furniture or a smelly apartment. Never had those issues before but I lived in larger places. I love animals though and take care of some friends pets when they travel.

hell no. As long as you're willing to put in the effort. I have my dog for companionship and loneliness and he has helped a lot as I work away from close friends and family. Coworkers like going out to party and most of the ones I'm close with live 40+ minutes away so usually on weekends if I don't have plans to go to my hometown I'll spend them at home with my doggo.

Getting a pet to combat loneliness is fine, just I guess be aware that they don't necessarily replace human interaction so as long as you're being sociable at work and/or with family still you should be fine. It probably wouldn't be healthy ONLY to interact with your pets.

There's a wealth of articles online stating all the benefits of having a pet, not least of all as a constant companion to ward off loneliness. It's totally fine, OP.
I'd love a cat, myself.

EDIT: Yeah, please be aware of the commitment and adopt if that's available. Cats like to have a playmate, so if you aren't against adopting two, that's a great choice.

It's a great reason but make sure to be in for the long haul. Cats can live a long time.

Also kittens can be a lot of work. They're super high energy, need a LOT of attention, and can get into trouble pretty easily. If you're looking for a low maintenance friend, a cat that's at least a year old would be a lot less work, or even older if you want to give a cat a new home (kittens will always find a home).

Cats like to have a playmate, so if you aren't against adopting two, that's a great choice.

Depends, most cats are super territorial. If they're not bonded at a really young age it can take a long time to settle two cats into becoming friends, and can make it really stressful for them.

CodonAUG

I adopted my dog 8 years ago for this reason and he made my life a lot better. He has since passed away and I've seen what the world is like without him and its a lot harder.

Just make sure you can take care of any pet you adopt.

For you, I'd get something super low maintenance but very affectionate. I suggest a rat. They are very beautiful and intelligent, and can read emotions like a champ.

border

You need to make sure that you have the time available to spend and care for and socialize your cat. They aren't very demanding animals, but they can become anti-social if you aren't around the house a lot. Also make sure that you have enough money to pay for expensive medical procedures, should the issue arrive. I can't imagine anything more heartbreaking than having to choose between an animal you love and financial stability.

Top Bottom