• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon closes in on $1000 per share price. Up 49000% since going public.

Jimrpg

Amazon stock price as of 4AM ET today.

QuFZOtS.jpg

Google Finance Link to Amazon Stock Chart

I remember thinking this was a bit expensive at $400 a couple of years ago and waiting to see if it'd go down a little, but it never did. I suppose I could have got in at around $500 around the start of 2016 but I had my eyes off the stock at that point.

I think there's even more potential to go higher, as long as they fix international shipping because its still stopping a significant portion of online shoppers from overseas countries from buying goods. Jeff instead of flying rockets, why not buy some freight planes and ship goods at a much lower international shipping cost. There are tons of goods on amazon that are reasonably priced but the shipping cost prices international shoppers out.

Here's a couple of links for further Amazon reading -

Amazon.com, Inc. (AMZN) Didn’t Kill Brick and Mortar Retailers — They Killed Themselves

Happy 20th birthday, Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN), and congratulations to investors who were lucky enough to capture any part of the 49,000% return AMZN stock has dished out since its inception. That journey was an interesting one, to be sure, and at times it was perilous. But, the company’s success can’t be denied.

8 Metrics Show How Amazon.com, Inc. Is Crushing It

43%: Amazon Web Services (AWS), or Amazon's cloud business, continues to be the company's fastest-growing segment. Though the segment's $3.7 billion in revenue during the quarter was small compared to Amazon's e-commerce revenue of $32 billion, the segment is growing to represent a larger portion of Amazon's total revenue. In the first quarter, AWS represented 10.3% of Amazon's revenue, up from 8.8% in the year-ago quarter.

Absolutely a huge part of the growth came through their web services, tablets, voice controls, Amazon Prime, cloud storage etc.

It's funny that e-retailers have centred on a few enormous sites like Amazon and Alibaba and yet they haven't suffered from getting so big.

GOOG and GOOGL are actually up more than AMZN have been on a percentage basis the past few years.

The race to see if AMZN or GOOG/GOOGL hit $1000 first has been watched closely for the past few weeks now. If the overall market continues it's pre-Memorial Day rally, we should see both cross that barrier this week.

Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Google, and Microsoft have been responsible for 34% of the entire S&P 500's run-up this year.

Jimrpg

Well my first purchase on Amazon was 2008. So if I had bought stock then it was $81 at its highest point in 2008, it'd be 9-10x. Not too bad a return. Not totally unbelievable though for the time required to mature.

It amazes me how there seems to be no stopping the juggernaut.

Even Apple stock in my opinion is heading for a slowdown.

Sesha

I want to see someone who bought a bunch of stock in Apple, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Ebay and Netflix early on and didn't sell it all at one point. If such a person exists they're either filthy rich and/or mentally kicking themselves from not buying more stock, lol.

IrishNinja

i had a professor back in like 2000/2001 end the course by literally pleading with his students to invest in amazon, that it'd really pay off etc

i bought comics & dreamcast games instead

HAHA SHOWED HIM

zero_suit

i had a professor back in like 2000/2001 end the course by literally pleading with his students to invest in amazon, that it'd really pay off etc

HAHA SHOWED HIM

What a shame. Ya'll probably thought he was crazy.

Deepwater

HAHA SHOWED HIM

you just weren't on the right timeline, somewhere in the space time continuum is a timeline where we're enjoying the Dreamcast X and Yahoo is our internet overlord

Natetan

I just bought stock in April and it's already up almost 10% from that. I <3 you amazon.

Apple is sucking but google is doing good too. I might just sell my Apple stocks and dump it In google.

I think amazon will break 1000 before google. Amazon is like 999 right now.

Appleman

I just bought stock in April and it's already up almost 10% from that. I <3 you amazon.

Apple is sucking but google is doing good too. I might just sell my Apple stocks and dump it In google.

I think amazon will break 1000 before google. Amazon is like 999 right now.

AAPL is up more that GOOG over the last year-ish. Both pretty good bets I’d imagine though

I'm such an idiot. I bought Amazon in 2015 when it was $678 and then sold it for $635 in April of 2016. Since I sold it, it has gone up 50%. I only bought and sold 1 share so it wasn't much, but still.

I'm such an idiot. I bought Amazon in 2015 when it was $678 and then sold it for $635 in April of 2016. Since I sold it, it has gone up 50%. I only bought and sold 1 share so it wasn't much, but still.

well yeah it's not a good value to buy 1 share of amazon stock when you could have say bought a bunch of shares of AMD or any other smaller stock

of course, no one could have predicted that AMD would have reached where it is now(I think in 2015 it was ~$1-2-too lazy to check though)

I wonder who's going to win the tech wars? We know Taco Bell wins the food wars, but does Amazon buy Google? Does Apply buy everyone? I am eager to find out

Microsoft or Amazon
they're the only 2 non "one tick pony" companies and both leader in cloud computing
top5_tech_diversity1lun5.jpg

but who knows, as AI, MR / AR and IOT will be the next big thing in computing

Air

Banned
Microsoft or Amazon
they're the only 2 non "one tick pony" companies and both leader in cloud computing

Damn. Microsoft and amazon are pretty diverse. Good for them.

Apple needs to get another gadget they can sell asap. If the iPhone flounders, they're in for a lot of trouble.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. Microsoft and amazon are pretty diverse. Good for them.

Apple needs to get another gadget they can sell asap. If the iPhone flounders, they're in for a lot of trouble.

Isn't Apple about to single-handedly take over the hourglass industry?

OT: I really wish I had invested in Amazon :(

smisk

well yeah it's not a good value to buy 1 share of amazon stock when you could have say bought a bunch of shares of AMD or any other smaller stock

of course, no one could have predicted that AMD would have reached where it is now(I think in 2015 it was ~$1-2-too lazy to check though)

I bought a couple thousand of AMD when it was ~$5, it eventually got up to $15, best return I've ever had. Wish I had just thrown all my money into it at the time. Of course it's come back down to $11 since then but still a great investment, and I'm hopeful it'll climb back up there at some point.

LQX

For a long time it seemed investors/analyzers were put off by how much Amazon kept investing in itself. Why are you selling tablets? Now you are selling phones? Making cables? Producing TV series? Frozen food? Now people buy damn near everything from Amazon.

Moreover, the Amazon logo on their generic products like cables is actually a sign of quality and to me that is one of their biggest accomplishments.

gcubed

For a long time it seemed investors/analyzers were put off by how much Amazon kept investing in itself. Why are you selling tablets? Now you are selling phones? Making cables? Producing TV series? Frozen food? Now people buy damn near everything from Amazon.

Moreover, the Amazon logo on their generic products like cables is actually a sign of quality and to me that is one of their biggest accomplishments.

partially of quality, partially that there is so much trash on their store that if i wanted to buy something that i knew was cheap but wasn't garbage i can get an amazon basics.

Sells 70,000 widgets that are utter garbage. Offers own product that won't fall apart after 24 hours. Profit.

Damn smart

SRG01

GOOG and GOOGL are actually up more than AMZN have been on a percentage basis the past few years.

The race to see if AMZN or GOOG/GOOGL hit $1000 first has been watched closely for the past few weeks now. If the overall market continues it's pre-Memorial Day rally, we should see both cross that barrier this week.

Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Google, and Microsoft have been responsible for 34% of the entire S&P 500's run-up this year.

Tehnically, GOOG/GOOGL is higher because it's actually a pseudo-split from the original stock, whereas I don't think AMZN has ever been split or massively diluted.

jagowar

Amazon really is killing it the past few years.... if echo really ends up becoming the next big thing they are in prime position to rule everything.

It is kinda funny that amazon took googles free work with aosp and has kinda taken over the android tablet and tv space.

numble

Microsoft or Amazon

You need to look at the chart better. Those 10-11% items for Apple account for more profit and revenue than any business segment of Amazon or Microsoft (except for Microsoft Office).

You need to look at the chart better. Those 10-11% items for Apple account for more profit and revenue than any business segment of Amazon or Microsoft (except for Microsoft Office).

No i don't. I'm aware of every aspect.
And that has nothing to do with being a one trick pony, or not

Plus the profit statement is wrong. While iPhone is just 65% of apples revenue, its profit contributing is higher.

Just like Microsoft profits for Hardware and Windows is lower then Cloud and Office

numble

No i don't. I'm aware of every aspect.
And that has nothing to do with being a one trick pony, or not

Plus the profit statement is wrong. While iPhone is just 65% of apples revenue, its profit contributing is higher.

Just like Microsoft profits for Hardware and Windows is lower then Cloud and Office
Please provide the proof that the profit contribution is higher. It is probably likely that there is a higher profit in services, accessories and Mac, for instance.

If you remove iPhone, Apple would still have more revenue and profit from Macs than Amazon, and it would still have revenue on par with Microsoft.

It of course has everything to do with the term "one trick pony". If you have only one trick, you depend only on one thing for revenue and would be bankrupt without it, because you cannot do anything else. If you take away iPhone, it would still rival Google, Microsoft and Amazon in revenue and profit, so the term "one trick pony" is wrong.

mcfrank

Microsoft or Amazon

Cracking up at people looking at this chart and then calling Amazon more diverse than Apple.

Timeaisis

For now. Apple's money is it's goods, Amazon's money is in it's services. Amazon will eventually pull ahead unless Apple keeps winning with it's consumer products over and over again.

numble

For now. Apple's money is it's goods, Amazon's money is in it's services. Amazon will eventually pull ahead unless Apple keeps winning with it's consumer products over and over again.
For now, Amazon's money is in it's goods (that it is reselling). Apple's services money surpasses Amazon's services money.

Dec

Cracking up at people looking at this chart and then calling Amazon more diverse than Apple.

They are. I think you're confused. Think about what the actual sections mean.

Amazon products is anything from batteries to office furniture. Just because it's under one section doesn't mean it's one product.

IrishNinja

you just weren't on the right timeline, somewhere in the space time continuum is a timeline where we're enjoying the Dreamcast X and Yahoo is our internet overlord

you think they got trump in that one too?

What a shame. Ya'll probably thought he was crazy.

i mean, who buys books online? there was a big used book store right across the street from the university, why fix what ain't broke *sobs*

You made the right choice.

i like to think so too. i sold the comics for trade paperbacks & still have the DC games, lost Skies of Arcadia but got it for gamecube so i guess it's a wash

numble

They are. I think you're confused. Think about what the actual sections mean.

Amazon products is anything from batteries to office furniture. Just because it's under one section doesn't mean it's one product.
It is still one segment. If you just invest in grocery and big box retailers your investments are not diversified.

Top Bottom