• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

mclaren777

I think the game looks great. People just need to tone down the graphics whoring sometimes, it's starting to get out of control in general.

I think people often forget that ISI is an incredibly small team (roughly 10 people) so it's only 1/5 the size of Slightly Mad Studios. You simply can't expect ISI to produce the same level of visual quality given its limited art staff. I wish ISI would hire more people but that's not a decision that I get to make.

1-D_FTW

I think people often forget that ISI is an incredibly small team (roughly 10 people) so it's only 1/5 the size of Slightly Mad Studios. You simply can't expect ISI to produce the same level of visual quality given its limited art staff. I wish ISI would hire more people but that's not a decision that I get to make.

I'm fine with it, honestly. Game looks plenty good. And I appreciate they seem to have a good business sense and keep realistic goals that don't overextend themselves. Nothing worse than developer death by being unrealistically overambitious.

mclaren777

I just wanted to mention the rFactor 2 torrent files again in case anybody missed them.

Download files for rFactor 2

iyK7hTWRGUnS4.png

idIZTeQKFUO1N.jpg

mclaren777

Live For Speed Update

Dear LFS Racers,

We hope you had a good year in 2011. In June we released 0.6B, the best version of LFS so far. Since then we have been continuing to work towards the new tyre model and the S3 upgrade which we plan to release after the physics update.

Scawen has been further developing the virtual tyre test rig, a detailed model of a tyre's structure, to work out various values for the in-game tyre model. For example, what is the contact patch length, width and pressure for a given vertical deflection and how does the tyre's shape change with forces, torques and camber. These depend on the dimensions and structure of a tyre. By making the in-game tyres behave in a similar way, the driving experience will be as realistic as possible.

In the left part of the image, the yellow lines show the radial cords of the carcass. The orange and green lines show the steel belts and the cap ply. The right side of the image illustrates the carcass thickness which gives some rigidity even without air pressure.

Eric has been working on the S3 content. After the physics update and the VW Scirocco are released as a free update for all S1 and S2 license holders, we will work towards the S3 version which will provide more tracks and cars to S3 license holders. As usual for an upgrade, the cost of your existing license will be deducted from the full price.

We wish you a happy 2012, and we'll release the updates as soon as we can!

- LFS Developers

iM0TKBzev4Jbi.jpg

Holy shit, building a new rig and buying rFactor 2 simply for vintage F1 at historic Spa. God damn I loved racing there in GPL. Can't wait to get back into PC sims again. Been way too long.

Dilly

Banned
Too bad that progress report is pretty much the same as last year.

Does Scavier have jobs outside of LFS? Can't image that LFS is still attracting as much buyers as it used to.

cbox

rfactor 2 looks great but it's still missing something graphically. Shadows under the cars need to be adjusted for sure.

Shawsie64

Banned
Due to myself really digging iracing my fiancée bought me a Thrustmaster T500rs for my birthday.. Comes in the mail in a few days.. Was a toss up between the better wheel (T500rs) and the better pedals (clubsport) but in the end I might upgrade to the clubsport pedals down the line

mclaren777

An update on the tracks we'll be getting in the beta...

Scott Juliano said:
The first open beta release will contain:
Mills (2 of 6 layouts)
Malaysia (2 of 3 layouts)
Portugal (1 of 2 layouts)
Belgium '66 (1 layout)
Monte Carlo '66 (1 layout)

Some tracks we have waiting to be released over the course of the beta:
Mountain Peak Speedway (oval with infield road course and 2 kart tracks)
Palm Beach International (road course and kart track)
Quebec SuperKarting (3 layouts)

Some tracks currently being built:
Toban remake
Another '66 track (not telling so don't ask, but it is a remake of sorts of a rF1 ISI track).

We also have been acquiring licenses for several other tracks which will be announced in due time (I don't know when, so don't ask). As well, there are some tracks I didn't mention and won't until we have code to support them properly.

Other than the two being built right now, there have already been screens of all of these.

Dilly

Banned
The other 66 track is Monza? Since it had the old lay-out in RF1. I suspect karts will be included during the beta since there are some kart tracks.

mclaren777

Credit to MS7XWDC: It looks like RaceDepartment is strongly hinting at a Thursday or Friday release.

Hmm, is it Friday already? We can't wait to unveil what we will be giving away that day. Starts with an "R" and ends with a "2". Oopsy!
---
Our first ever rFactor 2 event posted in our brand new rFactor 2 Racing Club. Sign up today!
---
We would like to welcome every licensed member to the Grand Opening of the rFactor 2 Racing Club. This is your chance to compete at the inaugural event here at RaceDepartment and be one of the first to sample the delights of the rFactor 2 multiplayer features. The event will take place on the release day of the rFactor 2 Open Beta.

And I'll be posting the rFactor 2 OT as soon as it goes live, so please don't jump the gun with a new thread. :)

Also, Tim Wheatley has asked me to make it incredibly obvious that it's only a beta, so what clever title should the OT have?

rFactor 2 Open Beta |OT| (fill in the blank)

mclaren777

Nice!

Given the challenge that some people had on the official forums with the term "Work In Progress", I'm leaning towards calling it...

rFactor 2 Open Beta |OT| Clearly a WIP

mclaren777

ISI just release a sample plugin for developers to play around with and it seems to have some great parameters.

Code:
  // weather
  double mAirDensity;              // current air density (which can be derived from track altitude, ambient temp, humidity, and pressure)
  double mHumidity;                // humidity (0.0-1.0)
  double mPressure;                // air pressure (kPa)
  double mAmbientTemp;             // temperature (Celsius)
  double mTrackTemp;               // temperature (Celsius)
  TelemVect3 mWind;                // wind speed

Friday can't come soon enough!

1-D_FTW

I can't wait. Haven't played the first rFactor in some time, but will definitely spend time with this beta.

Same. Especially after I reformatted Windows and didn't have the heart to redo everything previously. It was such a mess of files. Glad they're making mod management a priority because, man, it was needed.

mclaren777

@DivineRage002 -- Welcome to NeoGAF! Now if only we could get DumbYetSmart to join us over here. :)

@1-D_FTW -- That's actually a great suggestion. Hmm...

mclaren777

I like your suggestion, Niks, but wouldn't this be the official thread for the open beta, not rFactor 2 itself?

Would using your suggestion preclude me (or someone else) from making a proper OT for the v1.0 release this summer?

So, what do I need to do to get into this beta? Won't mind to race against a few gaffers. :)

Pony up for the full game. $44USD. Not exactly my favorite way of doing business, but I'll be making an exception for this. Just the sight of old Spa makes me reach for my card.

Niks

I like your suggestion, Niks, but wouldn't this be the official thread for the open beta, not rFactor 2 itself?

Would using your suggestion preclude me (or someone else) from making a proper OT for the v1.0 release this summer?

You could always ask a mod to update the thread name when the game goes gold.

mclaren777

What about this?

Beta thread: rFactor 2 Beta |OT| An Epic Work in Progress
Final thread: rFactor 2 |OT| The Ultimate Modding Machine

Edit #1: honorable mention to 1-D_FTW for "WIP - Crashing So You Don't Have To"

Edit #2: actually, I really like the idea of using crash in the title. It's hard to know if rFactor 2 will crash often, but I like the play on words. Is the game crashing or are we crashing?

mclaren777

rFactor 2 Beta |OT| Which will do more crashing; it or us?

rFactor 2 Beta |OT| Which will crash more often; it or us?

Thoughts?

mclaren777

If you follow this account on Twitter and give it permission to send SMS messages to your phone, I'll update it ASAP after official content releases (this beta, future updates, the final release of the game, post-launch updates, etc).

And I'll only post meaningful updates so each Tweet means that you can download something good from ISI.

[url]http://twitter.com/rFactor2Updates[/URL]

Top Bottom