• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3: Spoilers thread because people can't read titles good

Grisby

So I thought since Gears 3 has the beefiest story we could have a spoiler thread on it. So all spoilers go here. Not quit done with it myself so I'll be back in a day or two.

Still, Damn you EPIC at the end End of Act 3. Dom's death kinda got to me. And then the mad world instrumental played. :(

Moaradin

Dom's death got me by surprise. I kinda expected him to die, but not halfway through the game, and Mad World totally got me also.

S1kkZ

very pissed that they didnt talk more about the queen and why she looks human. no reason to hold it back. i first thought marcus father was testing his serum on her, which turned her human (would made for an awesome ending, all locust turning into humans by adams machine).

Rimfya

Banned
FINALLY THIS THREAD GETS MADE.

1. Dom was sad.
2. Dear America: Our Aussie accents aren't excuses for poor voice acting.
3. Why did Bernie look about 50 but sound about 20?
4. Why leave all the answers to the entire Gears story for the last chapter of the last act?
5. I said in Act 1 Chapter 1 "If Myrah is Marcus' mother I'll squeal", I squealed.
6. I said in Act 3 "If this means lambent human zombies I'll squeal", I squealed (but it was one of the best parts of the campaign!)
7. Oh and +1 to why the frick is Myrah human, and looks younger than Marcus.

Lastly I took major issue with game progression through story failure. Let's go to their airport to get fuel! Fail. Lets go to this city to get fuel! Fail. Lets just go to the sub anyway ... hey look free fuel!!

Awesome game though :)

S1kkZ

Rimfya said:
FINALLY THIS THREAD GETS MADE.
4. Why leave all the answers to the entire Gears story for the last chapter of the last act?
5. I said in Act 1 Chapter 1 "If Myrah is Marcus' mother I'll squeal", I squealed.

-i agree, the story progression was a little off.
-she is not marcus mother.

Moaradin

S1kkZ said:
very pissed that they didnt talk more about the queen and why she looks human. no reason to hold it back. i first thought marcus father was testing his serum on her, which turned her human (would made for an awesome ending, all locust turning into humans by adams machine).

Yes I felt the Queen had a lot of potential for some awesome surprises but they never took advantage of it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ice-T's character was pointless.

"I'll get my revenge, just you wait!" *shakes fist*

*is not seen in game again*

Rimfya said:

Wat.

stlobus

I really didn't like Gears 2, but was still curious how the story played out. Dom's death scene just sold me on a copy of this game.

I have to hand it to Karen Traviss and Greg Mitchell. That's writer and cinematic director respectively. Oh, and the voice cast. They took an absolutely cliché idea with the most predictable use of music ever and made it work spectacularly.

I didn't want Mad World in the game because I thought it was such an obvious thing to do it almost felt corny to me. I remember getting pissed when I read that Mad World sometimes plays during multiplayer matches on Gridlock, because I thought it was tacky as hell. But man am I eating crow now. Every time I'm on that map and that piano starts playing... goosebumps for all the right/wrong reasons. Feels bad, but it feels so awesome to feel bad.

And the details man, the little details firing off the warning signs. Dom leaving his COG tag and Maria's necklace on Maria's family's grave. Dom giving away his knife to Marcus, the memento he was most proud of from his commando days. This one's in the books, but Dom also gave Marcus his only remaining photo of his brother Carlos. All the signs were there yet it hit me like a mack truck when it happened. :'(

Phew. So yeah, hurry up and finish that campaign Grisby, stat! There are many plot points up for discussion.

And to everyone who's even the slightest interested in the games' characters or story and haven't read the books yet... tick tick tick you ain't got all day you gonna move your ass or what dudes?

GDJustin said:

Wat.
DLC man, mark my words.

Bossniak

Dom dieing got to me as well. Even though I saw it coming a million miles away. Playing through all three games got me somewhat attached to the character and losing him felt like losing a friend. :p My hair on the back of my neck stood up through out the whole scene.

Rimfya

Banned
S1kkZ said:
didnt she say "my dear boy"? that doesnt mean she is his mother.
Almost positive she said son. Then Baird started saying about keeping your enemies closer but that was ridiculous.

I always assumed the Locust were once human and the impulsion was the cause of the change, hence the "rust lung" people were getting. Too much imulsion eventually would turn them lambent. That and I had assumed Marcus's father had some more sinister involvement in all of it. The whole mass produced metal torture chamber pods that were everywhere in Gears 2 kinda had me leaning in that direction as I thought the Locust were capturing people to turn them. Not to mention the human looking Locust queen.

Turns out this is no where nearly as complicated.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
GDJustin said:

In addition to this, a full 40% of the game ends up being (literally) pointless.

Let's look for sub fuel in Dom's hometown! (Leave with no fuel).
Let's look for sub fuel in Char! (Leave with no fuel).

Oh, hey, there's sub fuel RIGHT BY the sub! That's handy!

I mean, those two chapters were fine from a gameplay standpoint, but couldn't Epic have had Delta Squad doing something more useful during the middle portion of the game? Seems like poor scenario planning...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I was sad it it happened, but I was glad that I actually didn't get spoiled before it came out.

Didn't expect it to happen, but it makes sense since the wife & kids were also gone - but still, he had Marcus.

But fuck yeah, Carmine baby!

Moaradin

The only new thing we got from Adam and the Queen is that they knew each other before the war. They never explained it, sadly.

S1kkZ said:
so, are all the books good? in which order should i read them?
Just go with the original order: Aspho Fields -> Jacinto's Remnant -> Anvil Gate -> Coalition's End.

Aspho is overall my favorite of the lot, but there's a lot of interesting character development in all of them.

Volimar

Moaradin said:
Dom's death got me by surprise. I kinda expected him to die, but not halfway through the game, and Mad World totally got me also.

Same here. I was also more impacted because the death scene didn't linger. He wasn't dying in Marcus's arms. It felt sudden and since it was so early in the game, I expected to see him having jumped from the truck before impact.

S1kkZ

Rimfya said:
Also did anyone get a real Rapture/Columbia feel for the last Act's location? Levine would be PO'd.
i really expected that the locust helped building that city, to have the humans work on adams machine/serum against the lambent virus. no way the humans built that city alone, while a fucking war was going on.

Rimfya

Banned
I didn't get the impression there was enough at stake in Dom's death scene. I never felt completely hopeless. It was also the coolest moment of the game where Cogs, zombies, lambent and locust were all fighting each other for the only time. Wish it had've gone on longer and been more dire. Like somehow have you run completely dry of ammunition or something.

Rimfya

Banned
S1kkZ said:
i really expected that the locust helped building that city, to have the humans work on adams machine/serum against the lambent virus. no way the humans built that city alone, while a fucking war was going on.
Eh, I just felt like it was a representation of the pinnacle of human and scientific achievement -- you know, like Bioshock.

Gears 2 was very Resident Evil in parts, I thought Gears 3 borrowed heavily (in environment alone) from the Bioshock games in Act 5.

S1kkZ

Rimfya said:
Eh, I just felt like it was a representation of the pinnacle of human and scientific achievement -- you know, like Bioshock.

Gears 2 was very Resident Evil in parts, I thought Gears 3 borrowed heavily (in environment alone) from the Bioshock games in Act 5.
it would have been a cool twist: humans and locust forced working together. but i agree, the last chapter was very bioshock like.

Volimar

Rimfya said:
Also did anyone get a real Rapture/Columbia feel for the last Act's location? Levine would be PO'd.

I got a real Fallout 3 ending of the main quest feel at the end of Gears 3. The scientist with the big fix, the sacrifice, etc.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but gears had some of the worst voice acting of "Australians" I've ever heard. In fact the 2 female characters who were meant to be Australians just had extremely bad voice acting in general.

Dom's death got me by surprise, but the whole locust deal and their queen was a bit below average in terms of story telling. I'd place Gears 3 above 2 but below 1.

S1kkZ said:
it would have been a cool twist: humans and locust forced working together.
Would have been very cool from a controversial point of view.

I mean, all the main cast were disgusted when they found out that Prescott had taken all the important scientists to safety in the island and were living in very luxurious conditions too.

Imagine the shitstorm if they found out that the human scientists had actually been working together with the same creatures that had been slaughtering their loved ones for years. Would have been a great plot point to see their reaction to that.

Mafro

Was a bit disappointed with the story and campaign. It didn't really feel like the finale to the trilogy and I thought most of the set pieces and battles in Gears 2 felt more epic and fitting for a third game in the series.

Didn't care about Dom's death at all, thought he was a dull and boring character since the first game. Baird and Cole are much better.

I don't think the Lambent were handled very well with regards to the story, and they seemed a bit forced. I wanted to see some big COGs vs Lambent vs Locust battles but that sadly never happened. They just sort of felt like a cheap Flood rip off.

Wasn't a fan of the ending at all, it didn't wrap things up very well. Why is the Locust Queen human? What was on the disc given to Baird from Marcus' dad? etc. Just seemed rushed like 99% of game endings these days.

Rimfya

Banned
Fantasy Final said:
I am the only one thinking that Jace is the most useless character in the game story wise?
Hell yes. Most boring vanilla character in the series. I think every line of dialogue he had was just asking questions so the other characters could speak exposition. Couldn't understand why we were stuck with him and Aussie Sam for so long without Cole and Baird.

S1kkZ

Rimfya said:
Hell yes. Most boring vanilla character in the series. I think every line of dialogue he had was just asking questions so the other characters could speak exposition. Couldn't understand why we were stuck with him and Aussie Sam for so long without Cole and Baird.

so that they can make a cole/baird dlc chapter...( and they needed more characters because of 4p coop)

Lunchbox

Banned
Fantasy Final said:
I am the only one thinking that Jace is the most useless character in the game story wise?
all the characters other than the core 4 were baggage i didnt care for

jace, british/aussie whatever chick, anya, dizzy they can all fuck off. every time the core 4 of dom baird cole and marcus were together in the game the dialogues were great. it felt like the band of brothers feeling they tried with the series, mostly because they were consistent throughout the series. not forced on randomly

Volimar

Eyemus Lutt said:
I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but gears had some of the worst voice acting of "Australians" I've ever heard. In fact the 2 female characters who were meant to be Australians just had extremely bad voice acting in general.

Dom's death got me by surprise, but the whole locust deal and their queen was a bit below average in terms of story telling. I'd place Gears 3 above 2 but below 1.

I don't know about the actress for Bernie, but Claudia Black voiced Sam, and she is Australian.

Rimfya

Banned
Bernie and Sam were both Aussies. The shame of it is they were both terrible. Bernie didn't sound her age and Sam was kinda lifeless. I don't know if Americans just get overawed with hearing an Aussie accent they don't bother to try and get a good one? There's tougher Aussie chicks than what Epic found.

Flipyap

The death scenes made me laugh. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing when Mad World started playing. It was as if the game started parodying itself. At this point, that song carries as much emotional impact as Yakety Sax.

Rimfya said:

7. Oh and +1 to why the frick is Myrah human, and looks younger than Marcus.

As stated before she wasn't his mother, and as to why she looks younger, im sure it has to do with the fact that, unless I misunderstood the comment by Papa Fenix, 20 years before (before E-Day no less) Marcus's father was responsible for creating the locusts in the first place, so she would only be around 20 years old in the first place... Thus she looks young, and she wasn't even alive when Marcus was conceived.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Just finished the game and while the death scenes never really got to me, the ending really did. As a whole, the first 2 games did not do a good job of emphasizing a lot of the sacrifices. Maybe it was within the context of the universe and let's face it, some of the character design led to more jokes rather than compassion, but that ending struck me harder than anything because I finally realized what the humans (and the planet) sacrificed in order for them to have any sort of future. It left me a bit heart sunk. This 3rd game is definitely the best of the trilogy, it did everything I wanted the first two to do and more. It got the action beats down perfect, it got the emotional beats nailed and made me finally feel something for these characters that we've been following for 5 years. This will probably end up somewhere in the Top 5 for the end of the year.

Volimar

Forsaken82 said:
As stated before she wasn't his mother, and as to why she looks younger, im sure it has to do with the fact that, unless I misunderstood the comment by Papa Fenix, 20 years before (before E-Day no less) Marcus's father was responsible for creating the locusts in the first place, so she would only be around 20 years old in the first place... Thus she looks young, and she wasn't even alive when Marcus was conceived.

I think you heard wrong. He felt responsible for the Locust because he couldn't find a solution to the Locust problem before Myrrah made the decision to take them to the surface and war with humans...

Volimar

wenis said:
Just finished the game and while the death scenes never really got to me, the ending really did. As a whole, the first 2 games did not do a good job of emphasizing a lot of the sacrifices. Maybe it was within the context of the universe and let's face it, some of the character design led to more jokes rather than compassion, but that ending struck me harder than anything because I finally realized what the humans (and the planet) sacrificed in order for them to have any sort of future. It left me a bit heart sunk. This 3rd game is definitely the best of the trilogy, it did everything I wanted the first two to do and more. It got the action beats down perfect, it got the emotional beats nailed and made me finally feel something for these characters that we've been following for 5 years. This will probably end up somewhere in the Top 5 for the end of the year.

What kind of bothers me is that, if the cure truly was global then that means there are no more Lambent ever, and it looks like maybe no more Locust. That sucks for future titles. I'm not one of those clamoring for a prequel.

Top Bottom