• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantum

I'm not sure if I'll finish 52, but I know I'll start more than 52.
I tend to buy a ton of games then spend countless hours on a few.

18605.png

currently playing:
- puzzle and dragons (ios / day 1399 / doesn't count to total)

- Final Fantasy XV (PS4) 8 hours
- Hyper Light Drifter (steam) 1 hour; started 1/1/17
- Dying light (xbox one - replay/nephew)
- Assault Android Cactus (steam) 1 hour, started 1/1/17
- Watchdogs 2 (xbox one) 7 hours
- Abzu (steam) started 01/03/17
- BOI: rebirth "re"-started 01/04/17
- Yakuza 0 (PS4) 01/24/17
- Technomancer (steam) Started 01/25/17
- VA-11 HALL-A steam started 1/28/17
- Horizon (PS4) started on Release
- Anarchy Online comes to steam started a new toon 03/05/17

Finished:
1) RYB (IOS finished 01/03/17 time 2 hours) rate 3/5
Good: interesting beginning with great puzzle discovery/rules Bad: near the end it becomes tedious because of the addition of a ton of rules without enough levels to enjoy the previous changes and morphs into a weird concentration game rather than a great puzzler.

2) No Man's Sky (PS4 finished 01/07/17 time 40 hours) rate 4/5
Good: new patch with base building, really liked the laid back exploration and initial upgrading tracks, Bad after 30 hours the sameness of everything is too obvious

3) COD Infinite Warfare (Xbox one finished 01/08/17 time 5 hours) rate 2/5
Good: Picked it up to play zombies with nephews, they stopped playing Bad not my thing, bullet sponge testosterone romp campaign irked me for some reason.

4) Destiny - the dawning (Xbox one finished? 01/02/17 (01/08/17) time ~500 hours) rate 5/5
Good: Really enjoyed the winter event, I've played with a ton of family and at one point had three generations playing Bad RNG is a cold mistress, I wish matchmaking existed for all content as I never finish nightfalls/raids.

5) Diablo 3 - season 9 (battle.net playing season time 70-80 hours 40-50 to guardian) rate 5/5 (Paragon 741 on 01/24/17)
Good: over 500 hours in diablo 3, it scratches the grind itch and season 9 played DH/UE/GRE build Bad needs qol improvements, needs a meta change can't wait for necro.

6) Victor Van (steam/humble finished? 1/28/17 time 10 - 15 hours) rate 4/5
Good: grind itch satisfied with decent humor and some neat game references, good alternative loot for ARPG Bad very few people actually playing, weird non-predictable difficulty spikes

7) The Tomorrow Children (PS4 finished 01/28/17 time 2-3 hours) rate 1/5
Good: I liked the graphics? Bad this game just didn't click, I hated the soviet WW theme and the npc interaction just bothered the heck out of me.

8) Pony Island (Steam finished 01/28/17 time 2.6 hours) rate 5/5
Good: Not at all what I expected, really liked the game and the "meta" factor Bad some of the platforming was just stupid and almost made be quit before continuing

9) Deus Ex (Steam finished 02/04/17 time 25 hours) rate 2.5/5
Good: I liked the concept, liked some of the augments, the story was interesting Bad This game can't compare to DX:Human Revolution. The character "power" to challenge ratio was garbage. (pass on this one)

10) Dead Rising 4 (xbox one finished/stopped 03/03/17 time 5-7 hours) rate 2/5
Good: I like hordes of zombies in my games Bad pretty much everything else.

11) rive (Steam finished 03/05/17 time 3-5 hours) rate 3/5
Good: twin stick fun, robotron on drugs in space with and without gravity? Bad the game can be brutal at times -or- I'm just getting old.

12) Event (0) (Steam finished 03/14/17 time 3-4 hours) rate 3/5
Good: neat pseudo-AI game with interesting initial story Bad too short, the story falls flat, you realize the AI isn't as good as Zork.

13) Space Run Galaxy (Steam finished 03/18/17 time 1-2 hours) rate 2/5
Good: I liked the construction aspect of the ship Bad this is a tower defense game, it didn't hook me and really felt like a lot of other tower defense games.

Don't hog the first pages with claimed posts guys, judging from past threads most of you won't go back to them and it just looks ugly.

(that's a suggestion not an order obviously)

I may or may not do the challenge this year, I'll make another post if I end up doing it.

Wazzy

Banned
I failed again this year :( Oh well. I'm starting to get closer and closer each time I try and I've already got at least 10 games lined up that I'm playing currently so maybe this will finally be the year I finish 52.

Completed:
1. I Am Setsuna[Complete]

2. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse[Complete]

3. Persona 5[Complete]

4. Digimon World Next Order[Complete]

5. Resident Evil VII[Complete]

6. Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward MSQ[Complete]

7. Watch Dogs[Complete]

8. Radiant Historia[Complete]

9. Final Fantasy Type-0[Complete]

10. Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood MSQ[Complete]

11. Dragon Quest VII: Fragments Of Forgotten Past[Complete]

12. Starcraft[Complete]

13. Fire Emblem:Echoes[Complete]

14. Suikoden[Complete]

16 Suikoden II[Complete]

17. Steins Gate [Complete]

18. Fire Emblem The Blazing Blade[Complete]

19. Danganronpa V3 [Complete]

Started but not completed:
15. DMC

19. Secret Of Mana

20. The Last Guardian

21 .Night In The Woods

Last update for 2016 since the old thread is closed:
December
58. The Last Guardian (12-28) (13 hours)

January
1. Donkey Kong Country 2 (01-01)
2. Halo 2 (01-02)
3. Halo 3 01-03)
4. Halo 4 (01-04)
5. Halo 3: ODST (01-05)
6. Halo 5: Guardians (01-07)

February
7. Donkey Kong Country (02-26)
8. Dark Souls 3 (02-27)

March
9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (03-14)
10. NieR: Automata (03-23)
11. Ratchet & Clank (03-28)

April
12. Quantum Break (04-07)

May
13. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (05-04)
14. Titanfall 2 (05-06)
15. Red Dead Revolver (05-25)
16. Snake Pass (05-25)
17. Killzone Mercenary (05-26)

June
18. Thumper (06-02)
19. Resident Evil 4 (06-06)
20. Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways (06-06)
21. Resident Evil 4: Assignment Ada (06-06)
22. The Evil Within (06-17)
23. The Evil Within: The Assignment (06-18)
24. The Evil Within: The Consequence (06-18)
25. The Evil Within: The Executioner (06-18)
26. Dead Space (06-20)

July
27. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (07-02)
28. Dead Space 2 (07-04)
29. Crash Bandicoot (07-06)
30. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (07-07)
31. Until Dawn (07-09)
32. Crash Bandicoot: Warped (07-12)

August
33. No More Heroes (08-16)
34. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (08-17)
35. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: Blade Wolf (08-18)
36. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: Jetstream (08-18)
37. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (08-27)

October
38. Star Fox (10-18)

Krooner

I'm in.

Finished:
Mankind Divided - Ended up playing this through twice, somehow someone managed to die on my first play through... not sure what happened.
Ratchet and Clank (2016) - Really, really enjoyed this. A real breath of fresh air after the stoic seriousness of Mankind Divided.
Donkey Kong Country Returns - Really excellent platformer, Collected all the KONG letters and jigsaw pieces.
Batman: The Telltale series - Quiet enjoyed this, the usual "Telltale jank" in terms of performance, but well written. The need some new VA's, you keep hearing those same voices.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Again, all KONG letters and puzzle pieces. Found this a lot easier than the first game, maybe I was in the zone after playing them almost back to back.
Game of Thrones (Telltale) - Slow to get going, but once it did I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to season 2.
Breath of the Wild - Great. Not sure anything will beat it this year. A lot of those little moments of my own making will stick with me I think.
FarCry Primal - Not sure playing this after BotW was a great idea, but I was still craving something explorey/crafty. Enjoyed it.
Quantum Break - Disappointed.
RYSE: Son of Rome - Pleasantly surprised. Looking forward to going through it again.
The Walking Dead: Michonne - Okay... that is all: Okay.
Ori and the Blind Forest - Really loved this, great tight platforming, looks fantastic and a beautiful little story-line. Superb.
Mafia 3 - Broken, anodyne crap. Everything that's wrong with open-world crime games. Boring.
CoD: Advanced Warfare - Went in with low expectations, but really enjoyed it. £4!!!!!!
CoD: Infinite Warfare - Not as good as AW, but a decent game in it's own right.
Resident Evil: Revelations - Unfathomable nonsense... but I kind of enjoyed it.
Knack - What a weird game. Tonally strange.
Inside - Great! Went through it twice in one sitting, will probably end up on my GOTY list.
Dead Rising 3- I'd avoided it as a series fan after hearing that they'd changed too much, needn't have worried though. Really enjoyed it, could do with making them harder though. Looking forward to playing 4 through over Xmas.
Assassin's Creed Chronicles:: China - Okay, 'Mark of the Ninja' if you played it wearing mittens.
The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - Enjoyed it, the worst in the series so far though...
Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India - Solid improvement over China.
Black Ops 3 - Confusing nonsense.
Assassin's Creed Chronicles: Russia - Unnecessarily difficult.
Virginia - Enjoyed the substance, but not the style.
ZombiU - Great game, a real hidden gem.
Pikmin 3 - Great, picked up the first game on Wii I enjoyed it that much.
The Town of Light - Enjoyed it, but it felt like it was going to fall apart at any moment mechanically.
Strider (2014) - Decent Metroidvania, but would've enjoyed a bit more meat on the combat bones, so to speak.
Homefront: The Revolution - Okay, if you're a FarCry fan you'll get something out of it.
Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Missing the ludicrous hairstyles of the first game, but that's about the only problem I had with it.
The Sexy Brutale - A lot of fun, nice art style and some clever little puzzles.
Mirror's Edge Catalyst - The traversal gameplay is still second to none, but I feel like it tries to do a bit too much and I didn't bother with the collectables... Enjoyed the puzzle tower things though.
Abzu - Nice relaxing play through, enjoyed the freedom of movement.
Watch Dogs 2 - Managed to somehow make "hacking" seem more boring than it already is.
The Last Guardian - Some very frustrating moments, but you forgive it in the end.
The Evil Within - Loved it, loved it, loved it.
The Evil Within - The Assignment & The Consequence - Filled in the blanks from the main campaign nicely, glad I played them.
Rime - Good, usually these kinds of games are right up my street, but this didn't quite grab me.
Lone Survivor Director's Cut - Suitably spooky, am a little bit baffled by it though. Will play again.

Currently playing:
Resident Evil: REmake

J.W.Crazy

I'm in again for 2017. Didn't think I'd make it last year but somehow I pulled it off. Hopefully I'l manage three in a row.

Game 1: Prince of Persia (2008) - 13 hours 1/6/17
I did not enjoy this at all. I know I'm way Lttp but this game is a showcase of everything that's wrong with modern AAA games. You can tell no thought was ever put into how much fun the gameplay was, only how cool it looks. It's a clunky, repetitive mess of a game that's fun to look at.

Game 2: The Flame in the Flood - 15 hours 1/18/17
Really enjoyed this. I wish there was a little more depth.

Game 3: Power Hover - 3 hours 1/20/17
Really fun. Loved the soundtrack but wish there was more. The boss levels were underwhelming.

Game 4: Far Cry Primal - 16 hours 2/3/17
Kind of disappointed with this. It's a lot clunkier than the other Far Cry games and feels more repetitive. Also the subtitles are terrible.

Game 5: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 80 hours or more 4/4/17
Loved this. Already one of my favorite games ever. Aside from a little Snake Pass it's all I've played since the Switch launched.

Game 6: Snipperclips - 4 hours 4/13/17
Lots of fun. I played mostly with a nine year old and we both had a great time. Anytime I'm around him all he wants to do is play "Snipperclippers!"

Game 7: Mr. Shifty - 4 hours 4/19/17
I played the majority of this on a long car ride and enjoyed it well enough. The technical issues on Switch weren't bad enough to completely ruin the experience but definitely soured things for me. Having to start over completely on one of the longer, more difficult levels because of a random crash was not fun and not something I expect to happen on a console.

Game 8: Snake Pass - 10 hours 4/20/17
Had a lot of fun with this. I don't think they completely nailed the controls and physics which made some of the later level gimmicks kind of frustrating. I got it on PC & Switch and enjoyed it on both. Portability is nice but so is 4K and 3D!

Game 9: Kamiko - 1 hour 30 minutes 5/24/2017
This was okay. Nothing special.

Game 10: Rime - 7 hours 6/617
I was going to wait for the Switch version but haven't really played much on PC the last few months. Looks amazing in 4k. Very laid back gameplay. Enjoyed it very much.

Game 11: Graceful Explosion Machine - 15 hours 6/24/17
I really enjoyed this. Been playing a little here and there since it came out. Really like the way the different abilities work and the balancing act of using them all together.

Game 12: Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality - 3 hours 7/11/17
Only recently got into Rick and Morty. This is a great companion piece to the show. Pretty cool use of VR.

Game 13: Superhot VR - 2 hours 7/11/17
I played the original last year and really enjoyed it. This was just as good and another really cool VR experiance.

Game 14: Distance - 2 hours 7/12/17
This is still in early access but whats there is a lot of fun.The third person VR views is really neat.

Game 15: Robo Recall - 3 hours 7/18/17
One of the best VR experiences I've had so far. This is something I'm going to go back to a lot and definitely something I'm going to show anyone who's interested in VR.

Game 16: Thumper - 7 hours 718/17
I played most of this in 3D and the last two levels in VR. I preferred the VR but it wasn't all that different. I wish there was more variety. It starts to change things up a bit near the end but for the most part it feels the same all the way through.

Game 17: Accounting - 30 minutes 7/18/17
I had no idea what to expect with this and didn't realize it would be so short. Definitely interesting.

Game 18: The Climb - ? 7/20/17
I loved Rock N’ Roll Climber on Wii and have been looking forward to this since it was first announced because it seemed like a VR version of that. Really enjoyed it, completed every climb, and plan to go back and clear out all the achievements.

Game 19: Arkham VR - 1 hour 725/17
This felt more like a demo than a real game. Just a few mildly interactive scenes.

Game 20: Mars Odyssey - ? 7/25/17
Another neat but quick VR experience. Slightly more interactive than some.

Game 21: Unearthing Mars VR - 2-ish hours 7/25/17
This was weird. Definitely something I wouldn't have stayed with if it weren't for VR. An interesting experience for sure.

Game 22: Landfall - 4 hours 7/31/17
This is a really great idea but I'm not happy with the execution. Difficulty was all over the place and a lot of deaths/losses felt really cheap. Some of the enemy types didn't feel properly balanced either. Lots of bullet sponges.

Game 23:Lucky's Tale - 5 hours 7/31/17
Really enjoyed this. On it's own it'd just be an okay platformer but it's elevated but the uniqueness of VR. The aiming with your view mechanic is really fun. The final boss battle was genuinely great too.

Game 24: Lone Echo - 6 hours 8/1/17
Really great. Finished it in one sitting with a 10-15 break after four hours. Took my headset off and couldn't believe I'd been playing that long. It's just so engaging.

Game 25: Portal Stories: VR - 30-40 minutes 8/1/17
This was okay. It made me want a full length real Portal VR game.

Game 26: Archangel - ? 8/7/17
It's pretty short and the action is a little too slow for me. Just okay.

Game 27: I Expect You To Die - 2 hours 8/7/17
Fun but too short.

Game 28: Rez Infinite - 3 hours 8/13/2017
Amazing. Top to bottom and awesome experience in VR. Area X was incredible.

Game 29: Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - 30 hours 9/12/17
Really enjoyed this. Not usually into turned based games but it was still a lot of fun. Difficulty curve is a bit steep at the end but not too bad.

Game 30: SteamWorld Dig 2 - 8 hours 45 minutes 9/24/17
Awesome game. It just kept getting better with every new ability and unlock. Loved the first game and Heist but this is easily the best SteamWorld game.

Game 31: Splatoon 2 - 6 hours 9/26/17
Not as good as the first one but still a lot of fun.

Game 32: Pan-Pan - 2 hours 9/27/17
Fun little game. Lots of charm

Game 33: Metroid: Samus Returns - 14 hours 40 minutes 10/7/17
Really enjoyed this. Played it mostly on the way to and from work in 30 minute bursts.

Game 34: GORN - 4 hours 10/9/17
Another Gaffer gave me a code for this game a while back and I'm glad they did. It's completely ridiculous and lots of fun. A bit of a workout too. They're still adding more content so I'm sure I'll put many more hours into it.

Game 35: Edge of Nowhere - 4 hours 10/15/17
This was fun. Sort of a mix between Uncharted and Alan Wake. I'd like to see more third person VR games.

Game 36: Witchblood - 3 hours 30 minutes 10/17/17
I wanted to like this more than I did because of how neat it is to play in VR but it's way too janky. Platforming is clunky, combat is clunky, even the basic movement controls feel a little off. The core gameplay just isn't polished enough.

Game 37: Arktika.1 - 7 hours 10/17/17
Really enjoyed this. One of my favorite VR experiences so far. The gameplay is nothing special but the atmosphere is pretty great.

Acidyl

Currently playing:

Icewind Dale: Complete Edition (PC)
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (DS)

Completed:

Why the hell not. First time trying this, but I do need to start making a dent into my backlog.

FINISHED
header.jpg

1. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided(XB1) - Jan 3, 2017(started in 2016) - 23 hrs 54 mins - 7/10
I thought this was kind of a step back from Deus Ex: HR. I wouldn't say this game was bad, but it felt like there was something missing while I was playing. Could have beaten this alot sooner if I didn't go through most of the side missions.

1027088_LB_231x326_en_US_%5E_2016-05-08-23-09-52_c3dde8a110b9712b6da6222ed5841d531410eb21.jpg

2. Titanfall 2(XB1) - Jan 4, 2017(started in 2016) - 5ish hrs(single player) - 9/10
The campaign was great. Although short, I had a much better time going through this campaign than DE:MD. Still playing the mutliplayer currently.

IN PROGRESS
header.jpg

Dark Souls III(XB1)

hiredhand

Hmm...I'm tempted to take part in this thing this year.

I have like 700+ unplayed games on Steam (mostly thanks to bundles) but haven't really played anything in a long while. Playing mostly indie games this could be doable.

Richie

I'm in, for the first time! Let's knock that backlog out cold! Signed up for the 50 Books n' Movies Challenge at Off-Topic too!.

There's some criteria here to take into account:

*I'm only counting games I'm beating for the first time here.
*It counts if I had an already initiated file which I'm returning to for the first time in ages to see to completion.
*Goal is not to buy any new games whatsoever with the sole potential exception of BOTW on Wii U, even then I'm wondering.
*In fact, I went so far as to forbid myself from buying a Nintendo Switch until I beat both this challenge AND the 50 Movies/Books one. Yes I'm going insane and cursing my principles.

#1- Donkey Kong Country (SNES, played within Wii U VC) - 4Hrs 13Mins (05/Feb/17) - From the get go in one sitting

Huge fan of Retro's DK games though I am, I hadn't yet played any of the SNES trilogy titles, which always made me feel a bit of a poser...Not anymore though, at least not with the first title! So how did this johnny come lately find it? Great atmosphere for sure, delightful soundtrack, decent variety in the level design (though some stage gimmicks repeated by the end), hilarious Cranky dialogue. It starts as a walk in the park, first levels (worlds?) you can beat without a worry in the world, but the difficulty ramps up by the second half, which is when I blessed the Wii U's VC save states with my heart. Lots of charm to be had, albeit gameplay wise, I'd put both the Retro titles above this one without thinking twice, not that such is really a fair verdict; those were the dedicated students who took upon themselves to surpass the teacher, whereas this game was a pioneer. More of this game's Cranky, Nintendo! A lovely way to kick off the challenge.

#2- Super Mario Land 2 (Game Boy, played within 3DS VC) - 1Hr 57 Mins (05/Feb/17) - Initiated file...Not that it'd have made a big difference.

Easily the most bizarre Mario out there. Jason from Friday the 13th is a Goomba-like enemy, the Three Little Pigs are the final bosses of a world located within a giant Mario robot (there's a level taking place in its crotch that's crammed to the walls with balls), a giant turtle that ISNT' a Koopa Troopa apparently swallowed a whale alive alongside actual Koopa Troopas. There's no princess to rescue, Wario robs Mario's castle, Mario takes it back, the player blinks, BAM, roll credits.

Perhaps it was for the best that I didn't own any portables until the GBA; in my childhood 2 games per year was the norm, via Xmas and the birthday, perhaps a third if I was disciplined enough with savings, and had I asked for this title, or worse still, bought it myself, I'd have felt ripped off, maybe to the point of abandoning gaming and pursuing a more productive hobby; thank goodness this wasn't the case and I can narrate these lines with my beer belly intact. Getting through this title decades later (and getting it for cheap off the eShop) does benefit it in the sense that its amusing to witness all the ways it differs from what you'd expect from a Mario game (more so with this decade's efforts to make the franchise as uniform as possible).

Sadly, even though I'd love stating that the game triumphs within its own crazy cuckoo merits, the truth is that its levels, are as insultingly short as they're easy and there's not many to begin with. Aside from the quirks referenced in the initial paragraph, there's litle that stands out for being memorable on its own, instead of being eye-catching by default simply because it feels out of place in the plumber's universe. The game is better perceived as a prototype to the Wario Land series because that's essentially what it is, an unpolished pitch of what could be achieved if the developers distanced themselves from Mario expectations. Wario began here, and Daisy did so in the prequel, so they're historically significant entries in the franchise, but they're forgotten for a reason. I dug scratching my curiosity itch by beating this, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wasn't already a Mario fan who wanted to see what happens when you push Miyamoto away from his masterpiece.

#3- Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist (PC, Steam) - Half an hour (07-Feb-17) - From the get go in one sitting, would speak horribly of me otherwise!

Aside from Undertale two years ago and Worms 2 back in, what, middle school, I've been entirely divorced from PC gaming. Decided to change that last year, when I took advantage of a Steam sale to make my first proper PC gaming haul. Several of these will make their way through the 50+s...

But none became my first completed PC game of the year! That honor goes to this mighty pleasant experience, which a friend who's aware of this challenge recommended to me. A goal of this 50+ Games' business is to smash my backlog wide open, so adding new titles to the list isn't ideal, but I bit when he told me this game 1) Rocked 2) Was free 3) Lasted just half the hour. Wary of counting such a short game in this list, actually beating it reminds me that it's not about the quantity but the quality, and a breeze through it is, it sure leaves a great impression. Try it out if you haven't already.

BONUS - Moirai (PC, Steam) - 15 minutes (07-Feb-17) - Played twice, would speak even more horribly of me otherwise!

Right after seeing Dr. Langeskov's credits roll, friend suggested this other game to me, short to the point of feeling like a waste to elaborate on it, anyone reading this wouldn't miss more than 15 minutes checking it out for themselves. Was worth trying -and I decided it to count it after all- because of a neat interactive twist that gives the game meaning. EDIT: Meditating whether to include this game into the challenge.

#1 Axiom Verge (PC) - 10 Hrs 09 Mins (1/03/2017) - Score: 8.5/10
I really liked the game's oppressive and dark atmosphere, its strange world and story. Also, not unimportant for a metroid-like, the level design is top-notch and the world is a joy to explore. It's truly impressive that everything, including the enthralling soundtrack, was made by a single developer. My only complaint would be the final boss, which is far too difficult unless you use cheap tricks.

#2 SteamWorld Heist (PC) - 11 Hrs 30 Mins (1/14/2017) - Score: 7.5/10
A nice blend of genres: a tactical squad based game with some elements evocative of the Worms series (you have to aim your shots manually). I loved it until the last third/quarter of the game, then it became more of a drag and I was glad when I finally reached the end boss. But overall, I still liked the game a lot.

#3 DEADBOLT (PC) - 6 Hrs (1/15/2017) - Score: 7.0/10
At first I hated the game: no controller support, not the best looking visuals (to put it mildly), the gameplay felt slow and boring. I almost dropped the game after playing through a third of the missions. Luckily, I continued to play, because at some point it really started to click and I came to appreciate how everything was designed. The hit & run action/stealth gameplay (think Gunpoint or Ronin + Hotline Miami) works brilliantly once you start to master it.

#4 Kathy Rain (PC) - 6 Hrs 30 Mins (1/19/2017) - Score: 6.5/10
The main strength of this point & click game are its excellent puzzles. They are logical (with a single exception), satisfying to solve and strike a good balance in terms of difficulty (this is coming from someone who gets easily frustrated with puzzles in P&Cs). I also liked the visuals, the setting in rural america halfway through the nineties and the voice acting.
The overall story was nice to follow, but the writing felt clumsy at times and leaves quite a few unsolved questions. Some plot elements are given a lot of weight at the beginning of the story, to kind of disappear without a proper conclusion, in the latter part of the game.

#5 VVVVVV (PC) - 1 Hrs 38 Mins (1/26/2017) - Score: 7/10
A challenging, graphically minimalistic and short platformer with clever level design. The final stretch was exhausting to play, so I was glad when the credits started to roll.

#6 Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (PC) - 3 Hrs (4/12/2017) - Score: 8.5/10
The third and best campaign of SK. It's significantly superior to the first expansion with a lot more tweaking done to the levels.

#7 Nuclear Throne (PC) - 40 Hrs (4/12/2017) - Score: 7.5/10
The presentation of the game feels a bit amateurish, but other than that it's a nice and addicting rogue-lite.

#8 Enter The Gungeon (PC) - 180 Hrs (4/12/2017) - Score: 9.0/10
EtG is my favorite rogue-lite since Spelunky and it's one of the few games on Steam which I have beaten with all the achievements. It's a wonderful game, full of humor, tons of references, an insane amount of content and a steep learning curve. I can't wait for the payed expansion.

Wensih

2016's challenge ended early!? I just finished dumping my spreadsheet into post-able text and found out the hard way that the old thread's closed. On me for leaving it to the last day, but it's like completing a marathon and finding out everyone's gone home.

So here's my 2017 post, I guess.

Yeah it's a little strange the thread was locked. It could have stayed open until midnight even if the new thread started.

Eblo

Damn, didn't notice this thread until now. First page would have been nice :(

Alrighty then, reserved. I did 69 in 2016, and that's after many abandoned attempts of games. I feel confident I can do better this year.

Games: 95/52

January
  1. L.A. Noire: 2016-January 5
  2. VA-11 Hall-A: January 6-8
  3. DOOM: January 10-15
  4. Orwell: January 15-16
  5. Sonic Generations 3DS: 2016-January 19
  6. Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birth by Sleep -A fragmentary passage-: January 24-25
  7. Gravity Rush 2: January 20-28

February
  8. Folklore: January 29-February 4
  9. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker: February 4-5
  10. No More Heroes: February 7-9
  11. Ocarina of Time 3D: Master Quest: 2014-February 12
  12. Infamous: February 13-18
  13. Darksiders: February 18-23
  14. Infamous 2: February 23-26

March
  15. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: ∞
  16. No More Heroes 2: February 26-March 15
  17. Nier: Automata: March 17-March 22
  18. Sonic Advance: January 17-March 23

April
  19. Horizon Zero Dawn: March 25-April 3
  20. Persona 5: April 4-21
  21. Yooka-Laylee: April 21-26
  22. Poi: April 26-28
  23. Kathy Rain: April 28-30

May
  24. God of War: April 30-May 3
  25. God of War II: May 3-5
  26. Sonic the Fighters: May 6
  27. God of War: Chains of Olympus: May 6-7
  28. Sonic R: May 7
  29. Escape from Monkey Island: May 7-10
  30. God of War: Ghost of Sparta: May 10-11
  31. Oxenfree: May 11-13
  32. God of War III: May 13-15
  33. Papo & Yo: May 15
  34. Sonic Heroes: May 15-18
  35. Ristar: May 18
  36. Shadow the Hedgehog: 2016-May 20
  37. EarthBound Beginnings: 2015-May 23
  38. Touch My Katamari: May 23-24
  39. Sonic Colors: May 24-25

June
  40. Darksiders II: May 25-June 1
  41. Super Mario Sunshine: June 1-3
  42. Sonic Unleashed: June 4-6
  43. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (PS2/GameCube): June 6-8
  44. Super Mario Galaxy: June 9-10
  45. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (PS2/GameCube): June 11-13
  46. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona: June 13-19
  47. Metroid Prime: June 20-25
  48. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (PS2/GameCube): June 25-27

July
  49. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes: June 28-July 4
  50. HITMAN: ∞
  51. Super Metroid: July 13-15
  52. Metroid Fusion: July 17-20
  53. 3-D Ultra Minigolf Deluxe: July 20
  54. Metroid: Zero Mission: July 20-22
  55. Rhythm Thief: July 22-25
  56. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: July 25-30

August
  57. Knuckles in Sonic 1: August 1
  58. Knuckles in Sonic 2: August 1
  59. Sonic 3 & Knuckles: August 1-2
  60. Sonic Adventure DX: August 3-4
  61. Sonic CD: August 4
  62. Sonic 3D Blast: August 5
  63. Sonic Adventure 2: August 5-7
  64. Sonic Chaos: August 7
  65. Sonic Spinball: August 8
  66. Sonic 1 (GG): August 8
  67. Sonic 2 (GG): August 9
  68. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine: August 9
  69. Sonic Triple Trouble: August 10
  70. Tails Adventures: August 11-13
  71. Sonic Blast: August 13
  72. Sonic Labyrinth: August 14
  73. Sonic Mania: August 15-17
  74. Ys: Memories of Celceta: August 18-24
  75. Kamiko: August 26
  76. Half-Life 2: August 26-29
  77. Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion: August 29-30
  78. Nancy Drew: Treasure in the Royal Tower: August 30-31

September
  79. Nancy Drew: The Final Scene: August 31-September 1
  80. Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand: September 1
  81. Nancy Drew: Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake: September 1-2
  82. Nancy Drew: The Haunted Carousel: September 2
  83. Half-Life 2: Episode One: September 2-3
  84. Nancy Drew: Danger on Deception Island: September 3-4
  85. Nancy Drew: Secret of Shadow Ranch: September 4
  86. Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor: September 5-6
  87. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls: September 6-10
  88. Nancy Drew: Secret of the Old Clock: September 10-11
  89. Nancy Drew: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon: September 11-12
  90. Nancy Drew: Danger by Design: September 12-13
  91. Nancy Drew: Creature of Kapu Cave: September 13-14
  92. Metroid: Samus Returns: September 15-21
  93. Nancy Drew: White Wolf of Icicle Creek: September 21-22
  94. Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull: September 23
  95. Nancy Drew: Phantom of Venice: September 24-25

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I didn't bother last year, but I was close the last two years. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

1. 3D Classics Outrun - 1/2
Outrun will never stop being good, and the 3DS release makes it the *perfect* game to play on an airplane.

2. Bloodborne: The Old Hunters - 1/14
First time playing through the DLC. Pretty excellent stuff, but holy hell was that last boss tough.

3. Bloodborne - 1/14
Aaand, I finished up the main game, too. Second time playing through it. Still an absolute classic.

4. Yakuza 0 - 2/11
Holy shit. I've always loved the Yakuza series, but this? This game was just out of control good. Loved it from start to finish, and even after hitting the credits, I went back to do more sidequests. An easy GOTY contender.

5. Owlboy - 2/21
This came out of nowhere and ended up being... maybe one of the best games I've played. Just incredible. Beautiful visuals, great music, airtight gameplay, and perfect pacing. It's everything I want from this genre, and it's one of those exceptionally rare modern 2D games that can hang with the classics.

6. Freedom Planet - 2/25
It's kinda weird that it took me so long to play this one. I was pretty excited for it back in 2014... but I finally got around to playing it. Ended up being a really good game, and a lot less of a Sonic clone than I'd expected. Actually, I think it has more in common with Mega Man X (specifically, when you play as Zero) than anything. Sign me up for the sequel, please.

7. 3D Classics: Shinobi III - 2/27
Kind of an ideal airplane game. It's been a while since I've played Shinobi III, so I ran through it again. Still one of my faves.

8. 3D Classics: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 3/3
And on my return flight, I played through Sonic 2 again. Always a good time.

9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 3/15
A masterpiece. Finished it, but I want to go back and do so much that I missed. I kinda can't believe how much I didn't do.

10. DOOM - Sometime in March
I'd never actually played through the original Doom up until now. I mean, yeah, I played the shit out of the first few levels of the shareware, but the full game? I wasn't allowed to buy it as a kid. Well, anyway, I played through it, and it was awesome. The game totally holds up.

11. Outrun 2006 (PC) - 5/14
Ran through this classic again, on a whim. Outrun 2 is still one of Sega's best games, and frankly, I don't think its particular brand of crazy will ever be replicated.

12. Ys Chronicles II - 5/14
Thanks to the Ys thread getting bumped again, I decided to finally give this one a shot, since it's the last of the domestically-released games I haven't played. Pretty awesome surprise. While Ys I was solid, this game is better in every way. A hell of a lot of fun.

13. Balls of Steel - 5/25
Does one really finish a pinball game? Probably not. But I did play this game again, which is still far and away my favorite pinball game. Shame you can't buy it anywhere anymore.

14. The Shadows of Pygmalion - 5/25
It's been a while since I've played through a VN, so I figured I'd give this one a shot. I liked it quite a bit. Pretty standard shonen-ish stuff, but it's well done, and I really liked the main ensemble of characters. I need to go back and get the other endings.

15. Persona 5 - 5/28
Finally finished it. What an amazing game. Easily my GOTY so far, and one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

16. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 5/30
Even though I played it on the WiiU already, this game is still insanely fun, and I still found myself immediately addicted to it. I finished all the cups on 150cc with 3 gold stars, so now I'm moving on to the mirrored stuff.

17. Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers - 5/30
Yeah, okay. It's a rip-off. Whatever. But y'know what? It's fun as hell. The game feels great to play, and it's a way better time than any of the recent SF games. I'm basically just playing through the game with all the characters, gradually ramping up the difficulty.

18. Arc the Lad - 6/6
I played through most of game back in 2007, but never finished it. I rebought Arc the Lad Collection about a month ago, and gave the first game another go-round. I liked it a lot. I mean, yeah, it's a pretty standard SRPG, but it's fun, and has some fantastic music. I've always heard part 2 is supposed to be amazing, so I'm looking forward to that.

19. Super Meat Boy - 6/7
Been a while since I've played this. Because I know how to speedrun the shit out of SMB, it only took like 20-25 minutes. But whatever. It's still good.

20. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 6 DLC - 6/18
Played through the DLC case for AA6. Not the series' best, but a fun ride nonetheless. I'm always sad when I'm out of AA to play.

21. ARMS - 6/18
Got the credit scroll. Game is pretty damn fun. I'm going to run through it with all the characters and unlock as much shit as I can.

22. Cave Story+ - 6/22
I dunno why, but while I liked Cave Story+ on the PC, it really clicked for me this time on the Switch. I fucking loved it. I've only gotten one of the endings so far, but I'm going back for more.

23. The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (Switch) - 6/28
It's a cool game, and there's obviously a ton to do beyond the initial ending that you get... but I don't get the adoration this game gets. It's not really all that addictive.

I stopped updating my post early on last year, but only made it to 44 thanks to getting lost in WoW.

Hoping to do better this year so claiming my spot!

January:
1. Batman: The Telltale Series – PS4 - ? hours
2. Inside – PS4 – 4 hours
3. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 – PSVita – a million hours
4. Gravity Rush – PS4 – 8 hours
5. Pokemon Sun – 3DS – 40 hours
6. Resident Evil 4 – PS4 – 12 hours
7. Resident Evil 7 – PS4 – 8 hours
8. River City: Tokyo Rumble - 3DS - 4 hours

kierwynn

Finished: 8/52

55LVq30.jpg

Game #1- Pokemon Moon (3DS) | 1/3/2017 [28 hours 4 mins]

6wikQ0H.jpg

Game #2- Style Savvy: Fashion Forward (3DS) | 1/16/2017 [19 hours 16 mins]

AfFmiE9.jpg

Game #3- Final Fantasy XV (PS4) | 1/24/2017 [33 hours 57 mins]

eAojyib.jpg

Game #4- Rusty Lake Hotel (PC) | 1/29/2017 [1 hour 30 mins]

MmOk0At.jpg

Game #5- Fire Emblem Fates Conquest (3DS) | 2/13/2017 [25 hours]

GLp5TId.jpg

Game #6- Tales of Berseria (3DS) | 2/14/2017 [49 hours 25 mins]

SDh81Iy.jpg

Game #7- ABZU (PC) | 2/20/2017 [1 hour 48 mins]

3UtZiO6.jpg

Game #-- Fire Emblem Heroes (iOS)
Gonna keep this one on the end of my list since it's ongoing, but I've already played through the story/enough for it to be counted.

I'm in. Also trying the book and movie challenge. I'm gonna die

Completed:
1. Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIII-2

Next up: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Krafter

In for year four! Thanks again to Visceralbowl for running the 2017 version in advance.

2014 76 games
2015 76 games
2016 80 games

1. God of War III (PS3) - January 1 - 11 hours
Another angry romp through Olympus. I love Greek Mythology, but not necessarily the GOW franchise. Great design in the visuals, sounds, music and set pieces, using the full brunt of the Mythological scale quite well. Controls are easy and first-nature. Ridiculous Boss fights. What brings the whole thing down is the ultra-violence and the worst leading character in all of gaming, you actively want him to die.

2. Fallout 3 (PC) - January 4 - 33 hours
This is a tough one for me. I love Bethesda, love Fallout, but it's not an ideal match. The Wasteland looks great, and it becomes an exploration game in first person, slinking around through the wastes is a joy. SPECIAL is diminished without turn-based combat and the main quest is really poor. The towns are really bad, the Megaton bomb in particular the worst part. I wanted to spend more time, but my save died upon upgrade to Windows 10, so I might take a PS3 run at a later time.

3. Goat Simulator (PS3) - January 7 - 10 hours
My 3-year old's favourite game. Ridiculously good bad game, romp through Goatville and Goat Bay with your Goat. Would sit on the couch and watch my daughters smash all of Sweden with their overpowered Goats. Reminds me of Pain, but this is far superior with the more open world aspects. Tons of fun for the whole family, but Flappy Goat can kiss my ass.

4. Stick it to the man! (PS4) - January 10 - 8 hours
An adventure game with inventory puzzles, with a mind-reading alien arm stuck to your head which operates like the 'place sticker' mechanic in the Littlebigplanet games. It is as awesome as it sounds. Very silly, the most Schafer-like game I've ever played that did not involve Schafer himself. High marks here, another PS plus gem.

5. Littlebigplanet Karting (PS3) - January 16 - 21 hours
Another charming addition to the LBP series, this time in the form of a Mario Kart style racer rather than the usual Platformer. Sackboy is great, the racing is easy and fun, multiple themed-worlds of various levels to beat. I also messed about in creative mode more than before, and this would be my favourite LBP game to date.

6. Zhuzhu Puppies (DS) - January 18 - 3 hours
A pet raising sim, more in the vein of Sims than Nintendogs. Played with my 3 year old while she was sick. Highlight of the game is the catchy music, and I suppose the little poops that you have to scoop manually. Whee.

7. Ben there, Dan that! (PC) - January 20 - 3 hours
Quick and zany little old-school adventure game, crudely animated which only adds to the charm. A couple of English blokes take the piss out of the Adventure game genre, American beer and Sci-Fi with hilarious results. Well worth a playthrough, double that if you're a old Lucasarts game fan, as I am.

8. Tumble (PS3) - January 23 - 2 hours
PS Move game, sort of a cross between Stacking! and Jenga. 4 different modes, played through them in 1 sitting with my family, passing about a single move controller. Fun for a spell, I'm just not much of a motion gaming fan.

9. Serious Sam 2 (PC) - January 26 - 15 hours
Another excellent shooter from the Serious Sam series, 3 for 3 now by my count. Tons of levels and enemies, same serious arsenal with some additions, but with an added story mode with so bad they're good cutscenes after level completion. I don't think there was as many memorable levels as 1st/2nd encounters, but the variety is better and the vehicles are a fun distraction. One of the top shooter series running.

10. Dante's Inferno (PS3) - January 28 - 18 hours
I did not expect to like this. An unabashed god of War clone, turning the Divine Comedy into a blood-letting affair, by an EA studio named Visceral? Ugh. But like it I did, as they actually did a decent attempt of turning the source material into a game, and the Dante / Beatrice pairing is vastly superior to the eternal angst of Kratos' tale. I like the Scythe weapon, and the good/evil skill tree dynamic. It was quick enough to justify a 2nd run to grab the platinum as well.

Blurry15

Failed miserably to even try in 2016. Going to try to see how far I can go this year.

Claiming my spot!

Game #1

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin

I Started out hating this game, absolutely hating it, everything about it. Terrible rolls, couldn't use swords in corridors because it hit everything but the enemies. I was frustrated. So I started completely over using nothing but fisticuffs and eventually using the caestus'. after getting past the first area of the game and getting myself an axe I was set and my opinion on the game changed from Hatred for it to thinking it is Perfectly... ok. Its not a bad game, not great but not bad. Its a good Souls game. After upping my adaptability to the point that i was satisfied with my roll the game became the kind of game you play as like a Junk food Souls game. The gameplay is fun but everything else about the game just feels slightly better than mediocre. I beat the game but only did a few parts of the DLC stuff before deciding to just beat the last boss. Its a much easier game than Dark Souls 1 in my opinion and the levels are kinda forgettable. Over all i'd give it like a Strong 7 to a light 8 purely based on the fact that I enjoy the pure gameplay of souls games.

Beaten List (descriptions later):

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
Persona 5
Super Bomberman R

GLuigi

lets see if i can do this for the 4th straight year

Game #1: Dark Souls (PC) - 50 Hours
I never expected this to be my first game of the year. This isn't the first i played the game but it is the first time i actually finished it (and my first Souls game finished as well). I loved just about everything about this game. The initial difficulty at the start was the hardest for me. After the midpoint, everything else had just the right balance of difficulty. Glad I took another look at this game, now I can't wait to play through the rest of the games.

Game #2: Shadowrun Returns (PC) - 9 Hours
Thought this game was an alright turn based tactile RPG. I enjoyed the turn based strategy part as the game felt pretty similar to X-COM. I thought the story was enjoyable as well with a simple "Who did it?" mystery and takes a crazy turn. Although the game does have its rough edges. One of my problems with the game is that your story choices pretty much never matters and would of liked to see consequences for your choices. Also I found it hard to move characters in certain spots because the character model itself was covering half the spot. I'm excited to see that Dragonfall fixes a lot of SR's problems and i can't wait to play it.

Game #3: Back To The Future: The Game (PC) - 11 Hours
I enjoyed this game quite a bit. Was always a fan of the movies and i thought the game did the series justice. Although at times the game kind of goes over the top with it's story and solutions. The puzzles wasn't too hard for the most part, was able to solve most of them with enough time. Thankfully for the times where i was stumped there is a hint system that slowly reveals the answer by giving you clues to guide you. Also the person who does Marty's voice pretty much nails it.

Game #4: Battle Fantasia -Revised Edition- (PC) - 12 Hours
Fighting game with a neat RPG aesthetic. Finished story mode with all the characters. I was going to try to 100%, but as always with my experience with Arc System Works' story modes i got stuck at 99% on a few characters. Pretty easy fighting game to get into, each character only hands a small amount of special moves to perform. Although the game adds a lot of systems to its gameplay to keep it from going stale. This includes a parry system and a "heat up" system. (which reminds me of SFV's V trigger system) I recommend getting it on sale for a fun weekend.

Game #5: Sonic Adventure 2 (PC) - 7 Hours
I wanted to replay this game to see if it was still as good as i remember it. Game was not as good as my nostalgia, but still had fun with parts of it. The speed stages (Sonic/Shadow) were still a blast to still play through, there wasn't a particular stage in that area that i disliked. The treasure hunting stages were fun at first but kind of got worse as the game went on. Finally, the shooting stages were just bland all together. Overall, its still an okay game that i can find myself going back to once in awhile

Game #6: Alien: Isolation (PC) - 20 Hours
I was watching a good amount of horror movies lately which led me to finally get around to playing this game. I had a great time with this horror survival game with a lot of good scares on the game's part. The game does take its time in the beginning to establish the setting, but once the alien comes into play the game constantly pressures you. I can see why a few people felt like the game dragged on. Its a very slow paced game where you are discouraged to sprint, constantly use your motion tracker, and using your guns. Sneaking is always your safest route but sometimes it can take awhile to get around some of the enemies. Fantastic game especially for those who are fans of the first Alien movie.

Game #7: Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past (3DS) - 87 Hours
At first, I wasn't really feeling this game at all. The game's pace felt way too slow in the beginning due to having to do some backtracking to collect some key items. What really helped me keep going was all the individual story arcs each island have. It wasn't until 20 hours into the game where you finally unlock classes that I got hooked into the game. I probably would not introduce this as someone's first DQ game but definitely its one to circle back around to somewhere down the line.

Game #8: Dragon Age: Origins (PC) - 116 Hours
Finished the main game and the Awakening and Witch Hunt DLC, although 20 of those hours was just playing a brand new character. Found the combat a little bit awkward at first, but once everything clicked for me I instantly fell in love with the game. I pretty much loved every part of the game from reading up on the lore to interacting with my party members (and also party members interacting with each other). The different decisions you can make throughout the campaign makes me really excited for a 2nd playthrough.

Game #9: Shadowrun: Dragonfall (PC) - 21 Hours
Definitely enjoyed this game more than Shadowrun Returns. Found this game a lot more challenging than Returns, where in Returns I felt like I was able to go through the game without having to put much thought into strategy. Glad to see most of the problems Returns had being fixed in this game, such as having some of my decisions matter (although its not much) and also having a crew so you dont have to spend money hiring other runners. The game is less linear as Returns where they will just shove a bunch of side and story missions which you can do in any order. Overall its a great game, now off to Hong Kong!

Game #10: Crazy Taxi (PC) - 3 Hours
I remember playing this game as a child, but all i remember about it was being terrible at it. Coming back to it now has been a nice break from all the RPGs i been playing. Had a lot of fun with this game, each sessions is pretty short and makes getting a higher score addicting. I can definitely tell theres some differences between each driver but i wouldnt be able to pinpoint each differences. All i know is that i tend to do better with Gus. Also had to look up the different techniques such as Crazy Dash. I haven't been able to do it consistently but its satisfying when i pull it off.

Game #11: Overwatch (PC) - 78 Hours
Still having plenty of fun with this game. The hours reflect the amount of time it took me to get from level 100 to 218. Lately I been trying competitive a lot more and been having a lot of fun with that mode. I would like to put more hours into that mode, probably a goal for me to strive for next season. Also been trying out characters that I been uncomfortable playing so i can be a lot more flexible in fitting in whatever role that needs to be fitted.

Game #12: Persona 5 (PS4) - 75 Hours
Already GOTY for me. The amount of amazement and giddiness that i got from the first few hours of the game was something I haven't felt in awhile. I don't think there has been a game where i could just spend the whole day just going through the menus. Hands down this game has the best gameplay out of the Persona series. Bringing back negotiations and guns/nuclear/mind attacks was nice to see. Getting new skills and abilities from confidants/social links that are not your party members is a nice welcome and definitely makes it easier to max everything when going through NG+. Its been a long wait, but its definitely been worth it.

Game #13: Doodle God (PC) - 5 Hours

I remember playing the iOS version way back when the iPhone 4 came out. Its pretty cool to see how much this game has expanded since then. Simple game to play, just combine two elements to make an item. As the game progress you will soon get access to more elements and gets a bit more complicated. Honestly, i think this game is a hit or miss. I can see how people can get quickly tired of this game.

Game #14: D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC) - 10 Hours

Fully played through the game at least twice with the second time just completing all the side missions. Fun and quirky mystery adventure game with a lot of Memento vibes going on. ( I had a good laugh when I saw that one of the DLC skins for David Young was straight up a Memento reference) Even knowing that this game's story will never be completed, I still had a good time just watching all these over the top personalities that the cast has.

Game #15: Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Libson (PC) - 5 Hours

Played through the game twice to 100% complete it. Pretty enjoyable point and click game that has a lot of charm to it. Fairly straight forward with its gameplay, just running around collecting clues and using them to prove your statements. Game felt a little slow at first because of how slow your character walks, but you eventually unlock the ability to fast travel. Thankfully, the game was short enough where it didn't really feel like that much of a problem. Great game to pick if you want something light and easygoing to play.

Game #16: Dear Ester: Landmark Edition (PC) - 2 Hours
Played with the developer commentary on since i figured I would get bored playing through it again. Commentary itself was great to listen to, it informed me of a lot of details in the game that i never knew before. For example, in the caves i never noticed the one lone paper boat floating downstream. It was pretty cool hearing not just only the developers but also the music composer and artist.

Game #17: Breach & Clear (PC) - 9 Hours
Played and finished two of the single player modes. Its a decent tactical turn-based strategy game, but doesn't really bring much to the table when it comes to challenge. There are 3 single player modes but they all use the same exact maps. The first game mode i played, Terrorist Hunt, is just a standard kill everyone on the map. At first the i was having a good time, but later it started to feel a little stale for me as the game does not throw much variation. The second game mode i played has all your guys starting inside the map and have to fight your way out and escape. It was actually fun to see how chaotic the first turn get as you see your guys frantically shoot in all directions. Fun game at first, but after a couple missions you get the feeling that you seen everything there is to the game.

bnx

2016 42/52

11 Games To Go....

Game 1 - Yakuza 2 (PS2) Starting 2017 off with greatness. Now I have Yakuza 1-5 beaten. Won't rank them yet.

Game 2 - Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (PS4) Arcade mode completed w/ all characters. Story mode completed.

Game 3 - Heavy Rain (PS4) Highly recommended.

Game 4 - Project Diva f 2nd (Vita) All songs completed on Normal difficulty.

Game 5 - Yakuza 0 (PS4) Another amazing entry in the Yakuza series. 60 hours played. (Final game in January)

Game 6 - BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma Extend (PS4) Main Story, Extend Story and Remix Heart stories completed. Also did Arcade mode.

Game 7 - Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed (Vita) Spinoff from the Hyperdimension Rebirth games. Mindless button mashing fun. Pick character, go to arena, kill all enemies in the level in most cases. Upgrade your weapons, change attire etc. Main story completed for now. Also, Noire with Dual Revolvers would be badass.

Game 8 - Abzu (PS4) What a beautiful game. Enjoyed every last minute. Got 100% just under 3 hours.

Game 9 - Game of Thrones (PS4) Just another game outta my backlog.

Game 10 - Fate/EXTRA (PSP) Interesting game here. It's an RPG and it has a rock paper scissors type combat. Attack beats break. Break beats guard, Guard beats attack. Fun but it can be frustrating as well. 36-ish hours played. Used Caster on the first playthrough. (Final game in February)

Game 11 - Street Fighter V (PS4) Story mode completed.

Game 12 - Crazy Strike Bowling EX (PS4) Beat high scores in all Exhibition levels. Did some challenges.

Game 13 - Divekick (PS4) A fighting game where you use 2 buttons to fight. Only ran through story mode once for the credits.

Game 14 - Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore (PS2) Went through story mode till the credits. Old but still good imo. (Final game in March)

Game 15 - Tales of Zestiria (PS4) Over 60 hours. Beat on moderate difficulty. Almost had the urge to drop this after I saw yet ANOTHER dungeon I had to get through. This is after I spent nearly 3 hours fighting the same peons over and over hunting for good/rare equipment drops at a previous dungeon. Somehow I was pulled back in, and enjoyed the rest of the game. Even though I prefer Tales of Hearts R over this, I still had fun.

Game 16 - The King of Fighters 2000 (PS4/PS2 Emulation) 100% trophies. (Final game in April)

Game 17 - The King of Fighters XIV (PS4) Beat story mode with default teams/bosses. Easy for newcomers to jump right in. Gonna play more of this over time.

Game 18 - Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- (PS4) Arcade mode completed w/ all characters. Story mode completed to 100%. The way they did the tutorial in this game was... unique. Liked what they did.

Game 19 - MegaTagmension Blanc vs Zombies (Vita) Main story completed. Didn't take long to beat. Very similar to Action Unleashed in terms of gameplay. Replace everything with Zombies.

Game 20 - Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR 2- (PS4) Arcade mode completed w/ Baiken, Answer and DLC characters from the previous game. Newly added "After story" completed.

Game 21 - Blazblue Central Fiction (PS4) Story mode completed. (Final game in May)

Game 22 - Tekken 7 (PS4) Platinum. My first taste of Tekken since Tekken 5, over 10 years ago. Great fighting game. Still waiting for Soul Calibur 6!

Game 23 - Injustice: Gods Among Us (Vita) Story mode completed. Bought this forever ago and finally decided to play it now before I play Injustice 2.

Game 24 - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (PSP) I played this back in 2013 and stopped playing it for whatever reason. Turns out I was very far in the game and had a few story missions to beat. Not the best controls on handheld (Even the 2nd analog stick with Vita wasn't much help) but whatever.

Game 25 - Power Stone (PSP) Story mode completed.

Game 26 - Power Stone 2 (PSP) Story mode completed. Much better than Power Stone 1.

Game 27 - Hyperdimension Neptunia Producing Perfection (Vita) Idol Simulator. Platinum. 30 hours played. (Final game in June)

Game 28 - GTA San Andreas (PS4/PS2 Emulation) And for the third time, I've beaten this game.

Game 29 - Sonic CD (PS3) Only had one level left to do. Played it years ago and stopped. (Final game in July)

Game 30 - Ryu Ga Gotoku (Yakuza) Kenzan! (PS3) Decided to play this with Yakuza Kiwami coming out soon. The game is in all Japanese so I used KHHSubs to help me progress through the game. As for the game itself, it plays like your typical Yakuza game except with swords. 19 hours played.

Game 31 - Mega Man 2 (PS4) Revisiting the MM collection. Played the original MM last year. Easier than the original MM but still provided a good challenge.

Game 32 - Mega Man 3 (PS4) This MM decided to put an annoying black bar along the left side of my screen (after some research this is normal and is also present in 4 5 and 6 but it doesn't show in MM or MM2). The game also had several slowdowns. I don't remember the 2 previous MM games slowing down like MM3 did. In spite of all of that, I beat the game.

Game 33 - Ratchet & Clank (PS3) Not bad at all. Had a couple of frustrating moments but overall this was fun.

Game 34 - Mega Man 4 (PS4) Alright! I think I'm getting better at these MM games. Didn't die as much as the other MM games.

Game 35 - Letter Quest Remastered (PS4) Something different than usual. Word game + RPG fused together. Time flew by as I was playing. The combat consist of spelling words to damage the enemy. Longer words equals more damage. I did feel a little burned out towards the end of story mode though. Wished there was more variety with the enemies. Recommended.

Game 36 - Tennis in the Face (PS4) Similar to Angry Birds. Fun diversion for a little while. (Final game in August)

Game 37 - Yakuza Kiwami (PS4) Yakuza 1 remake. Looks great and happy to revisit Yakuza 1 with updated graphics and gameplay. Got Yakuza Dead Souls and Ishin left to play before Yakuza 6 comes.

Game 38 - KNACK 2 (PS4) Straight 🔥🔥🔥🔥But seriously, huge step up from Knack 1.

Game 39 - Warriors All Stars (PS4) Would've preferred a Warriors Orochi 4 but this will have to do. Seen two endings.

Game 40 - Everybody's Golf (PS4) Went up to rank 6. A little disappointed by the amount of courses but the ones in the game are very good. Character customization is great. Even if you don't like Golf you should consider trying this game. I also loved the HSG game on Vita. One of my favorite games on that system. (Final game in September)

Game 41 - Dissidia 012 duodecim Final Fantasy (PSP) Probably the best PSP game I've played so far. It's an Action Fighting RPG combined into one game and it works very well. Graphics are outstanding for a PSP game. Gameplay was fluid with no noticeable slowdowns. Story is meh, didn't really pay attention to it. Maybe if I played the Final Fantasy games I would've been more interested in the story (I only played FF5). But the combat is where this game really shines. Fun as hell and addictive. Played 48 hours. Highly recommended.

In Progress

Wolfenstein: The New Order - will take care of this before Wolfenstein 2.

Sooner or later...

Bayonetta (PS3) eventually maybe perhaps
Fate/Extella (PS4) a third of the way done
Odin Sphere (PS4) on the 4th character I believe
Persona 5 - Stopped playing back in April. 60 hours in. December game most likely.
Danganronpa 2 - MIGHT slip this in before the year is over.
Toukiden Kiwami - Part way through
That fucking Drakengard 3 Final Boss... I'm coming for you!

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Game 1: Metal Slug 1 (PC) - 53 minutes (completed 1/3)

Game 2: Final Fantasy XV (PS4) - 64 hours (completed 1/8)

Game 3: Portal (PC) - 10 hours (completed 1/28)

Game 4: Forza Horizon 3 (PC) - 24 hours (Completed all showcases) (Completed 2/3)

Game 5: Sonic CD (PC) - 1 hour (Completed 2/4)

Game 6: Sonic Adventure - (PC) 2.5 hours (Completed 2/9)

Game 7: Sonic 3 and Knuckles - (PC) 3 hours (Completed 2/11)

Game 8: Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies - (PS2) 2 hours (Completed 2/17)

Game 9: Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War - (PS2) 3 hours (Completed 2/24)

Game 10: Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War (PS2) 2.5 hours (Completed 2/27)

Game 11: Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Wii U) 81 hours (Left the game running several times) (100%) (Completed 3/3)

Game 12: Metal Slug 2 (PC) 1 hour (Completed 3/6)

Game 13: Sonic Generations (PC) 5 hours (Completed 3/7)

Game 14: Megaman (NES) 70 minutes (Completed 3/9)

Game 15: Megaman 2 (NES) 70 minutes (Completed 3/9)

Game 16: Megaman 3 (NES) 90 minutes (Completed 3/9)

Game 17: Megaman 4 (NES) 90 minutes (Completed 3/10)

Game 18: Half-Life: Source (PC) 26 Hours (Completed 3/19)

IN PROGRESS
Pokemon Sun

I did it the last three years in a row. 84 in 2014, 65 in 2015, and 62 in 2016. I have an absolute ton of in progress games, some reaching back since 2014. I'm going to try and clear those out and I swear this'll be the year I finally play Dragon's Dogma.

January

1. Kathy Rain / 4 hrs
2. Blackwell Unbound / 2 hrs
3. Blackwell Convergence / 3 hrs
4. Blackwell Deception / 3 hrs
5. Blackwell Epiphany / 4 hrs
6. The Last Door season 2 / 6 hrs
7. The Silent Age / 2 hrs
8. Anna's Quest / 7 hrs
9. Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today / 5 hrs
10. 5 Days a Stranger / 2 hrs
11. Titanfall 2 / 6 hrs
12. Read Only Memories / 5 hrs
13. Six Sides of the World / 3 hrs
14. Gomo / 1 hr
15. The Talos Principle / 4 hrs
16. RYB / 1 hr
17. Grow Home / 3 hrs
18. Verde Station / 1 hr
19. BoxBoy / 6 hrs
20. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate / 30 hrs
21. Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies / 24 hrs

February

No Games Finished!

March

22. Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 66 hours
23. Hollow Knight - 36 hours

April

24. Horizon Zero Dawn - 44 hours
25. Deadly Tower of Monsters - 6 hours
26. Persona 5 - 100 hrs
27. Lumo - 6 hrs
28. What Remains of Edith Finch - 2 hrs
29. Thimbleweed Park - 14 hrs
30. Snake Pass - 8 hrs
31. The Last Tinker: City of Colors - 6 hrs
32. Volume - 7 hrs
33. Refunct - 1 hr
34. Hidden Folks - 3 hrs

May

35. GNOG - 2 hrs
36. Abzu - 2 hrs
37. Cosmic Star Heroine - 14 hrs
38. Little Nightmares - 4 hrs
39. Trails in the Sky the 3rd - 48 hrs
40. Yooka-Laylee - 20 hrs
41. The Dream Machine - 12 hrs
42. Nier: Automata - 35 hrs

June

43. Rime - 6 hrs
44. Eyes of Ara - 10 hrs
45. Wuppo - 8 hrs

July

46. Ghost 1.0 - 16 hrs
47. Pharaoh Rebirth+ - 7 hrs
48. Song of the Deep - 12 hrs
49. Headlander - 8 hrs
50. Omegaland - 4 hrs
51. Jotun - 4 hrs
52. Eliot Quest - 18 hrs

52 games / 650 hrs

ch4fx_

Working on:
Diablo III - going for the platinum.
Modern Warefare RE - slowly progressing through the story while playing multiplayer.

Up next (in no particular order):
The Bioshock Collection - 1, 2, & Infinite.
Bloodborne -
GOAT
GTA V - This will finally be the year I complete the story..
Final Fantasy VII - I recently completed my first FF game, XV, so I'm looking forward to finding out what this game is all about.

I only beat 6 games last year. Shameful! So I'm signing up. 52 games would be close to half my backlog. Currently close to beating Dragon Quest 7, Lunar: Silver Star Harmony and Kirby Triple Deluxe.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
First year. Super excited to start killing off some of that Steam backlog.

1: Dust: An Elysian Tail
01/07/17. Beautiful artwork. Solid music and sound. Great hack 'n slash action. 8/10

2: Ryse: Son of Rome
02/27/17. Exciting, gory, summer blockbuster that's heavy on the QTE. 7/10

3: The Witcher 3
6/17/2017. Apex RPG with endless adventure. 10/10

KentBlake

Ok, here we go again.

First, a link to my 2016 post, just to keep things neat.

Now let's start 2017:

01) Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4): Great campaign. After the disaster that was BO3 campaign, CoD redeems itself with this great adventure in space. Even the dogfight missions were great.

02) Medal of Honor: Warfighter (PS3): Another military shooter. I need to start clearing my PS3 backlog, and decided to start with this one. Played through it in one sitting. Found a game breaking bug and had to restart an entire mission. I went into this one with zero expectations, and ended up having fun. It's a decent campaign with an interesting story. Nothing amazing, but kinda good.

03) Rain (PS3): Another PS3 game from my backlog. Short and beautiful, it reminded me of Limbo and Inside. Good little hidden gem.

04) Datura (PS3): More PS3. A PS Move game this time (I usually don't like motion controls, but I have the controllers, and a few games in my PS3...so it doesn't hurt to play them). It's really strange and very clunky, but it kinda works as a different experience that makes an interesting use of the move controller. Really short (less than 2 hours), so it doesn't overstay its welcome.

05) Space Ace (PS3): I remember back in the eighties when I first saw this game and my jaw dropped to the floor...it was just so beautiful! Now I finally played it, and I can say for sure that it has the worst gameplay of all time. I had way more fun just watching the entire game (there is a menu option to do so) than "playing" it. And it lasts 15 minutes.

06) Kung Fu Rider (PS3): This game is one of the best examples to show why motion controls suck. After 2 hours playing this P.O.S., my wrists, arm and shoulder hurt a lot. The controls just don't work as intended. The game sucks big time. And I thought it had a fun premise...just do yourself a favor and stay away from it.

07) Severed (iOS): I know this is primarily a Vita game, but I got it on a sale on the App Store and ended up playing on my iPad during a trip. Great game, and the controls worked perfectly on the iPad. I loved Guacamelee back then, and Drinkbox Studios did it again. Recommended.

08) Virginia (Xbox One): A very "David Lynchish" game. It's like an interactive film, and there's no relevant choice to be made. Very symbolic and ambiguous. I like this kind of bold experiment in games.

09) Stories: The Path of Destinies (PS4): Awesome game! It's based on choices and replaying the game knowing the consequences of your acts beforehand. Really good. I played through it 5 times to see the true ending.

10) Fallout 4 Season Pass (PS4): I know it's only DLC, but since I spent 30 hours on it, I'll just count it (just like I did with The Witcher 3 Season Pass last year). In short => Automatron: Short and amusing. I liked building my robot. Vault-Tec: Kinda stupid. Didn't like it very much. Far Harbor: Apart from the really bad Minecraft-puzzle-thing (I hated it), it's by far the best DLC of the bunch. Great characters, story and locations. Nuka World: Great setting, but terrible characters. I hated everyone in this DLC and, even worse, it forced me to become a terrible person after I played the regular game like a paladin of the wasteland. I loved the Nuka World park, but hated the story and characters.

11) Oxenfree (PC): I knew this was gonna be right up my alley (love these Telltale-like choice/dialogue/narrative driven games). Great characters, story, mysteries and ending (I didn't get the best ending - maybe the second best - but I watched it on YouTube). Amazing game and the best one I played so far this year.

12) Superhot (PC): When I first saw the trailer for this game ages ago, I thought I wouldn't like it. Then I heard the Giant Bomb guys praising it and thought "Ok, I'll give it a try". Really glad I did. This game is awesome. Just play it.

13) Assassin's Creed Chronicles: Russia (PS4): I love AC games, but I don't love the Chronicles Trilogy. They look awesome and kinda play well, but they are such a frustrating mess. The assassins are all weak and die in one hit (the opposite of the main series). I'm glad I've got this over with.

14) Watch Dogs 2 (PC): A huge improvement over the first game. I think the series still has a lot to improve, but this was a major step up.

15) Prune (iOS): A relaxing little game about growing trees. Short and sweet.

16) Nioh (PS4): Great mix of Souls and Ninja Gaiden. Some bosses are a little unbalanced and too frustrating (sometimes I'd go through the entire level without dying, and then I died more than 20 times to the boss), but overall the game is amazing. It has one of the best combat systems I've ever seen.

17) Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4): One of the best games I've ever played. It looks incredible on a PS4 Pro + 4k + HDR, and the story is amazing. Highly recommended. Got the platinum.

18) The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PS4): Such an interesting game. I like exploration games (or "walking simulators", but I don't like this expression), but this one has an extra layer of investigation and simple puzzle solving. And also a very interesting story, with a nice plot twist. Really liked it.

19) Shadow of the Beast (PS4): The reviews for this one weren't good, but since I grew up in the eighties, my nostalgia for the Amiga is big (though I could never buy one because it was too damn expensive). I ended up enjoying this game a lot. It looks good, plays well and has a lot of unlockables that make the game interesting. And it includes the original Amiga game as an unlockable. Great!

20) Cradle (PC): This game made me angry. It's beautiful, has a very intriguing world and story, but it's full of problems. It's horribly bugged...it hard crashed my computer 5 times during my playthrough (an average of once per hour), and the performance is terrible. And the gameplay is even worse: a lot of backtracking, terrible cube-puzzles minigames and frustrating first-person platforming. It could have been amazing, but it's just below average. It's still intriguing, though.

21) SOMA (PS4): Another game about AI and the essence of being human. Great story, setting and characters. But I really think this game would be much better without the monsters. I wanted to explore the world and had to be constantly sneaking around...it was not scary, just annoying. But I think it's really worth going through this to experience the story.

22) Owlboy (PC): It's flawed, but it's great. It has one of the best examples of pixel art I've ever seen...so beautiful. It also has a few very annoying jumping parts near the end that made me very angry, but overall it's a great game.

23) Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty (PS4): The world, characters and visuals are great. The gameplay is good, but there are some boring sections, and some frustrating parts. I got the bad ending...and it's a REAL bad ending.

24) Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS): It's a Kirby game...colorful, nice and easy (with the exception of the final boss, which is not THAT easy). It's not exceptional, but I like Kirby.

25) NIER: Automata (PS4): I enjoyed it, but people talked about this game as if it was the greatest thing ever. I played the first Nier and also enjoyed it, and this one is better, but I didn't think it's as great as people say. Got endings ABCDE and a few others. Got the platinum with the help of that ridiculous in-game shop for trophies.

26) Submerged (PS4): A short non-violent exploration game. It's interesting, but the gameplay could use more variety. I enjoyed it, though. Finished it in one sitting.

27) Ori and the Blind Forest (Xbox One): Finally played this one. What a beautiful game! It's hard in some parts, but I definitely enjoyed it.

28) What Remains of Edith Finch (PC): It' the best "walking simulator" I've ever played. It has a lot of gameplay twists to keep things interesting, and a very good story. Highly recommended.

29) Rot Gut (PC): A small and simple black & white platformer set in the prohibition era. Very short. I had a little fun with it.

30) Milkmaid of the Milky Way (PC): A very interesting little point & click game. I haven't played one of these in ages...I guess this one made me want to play p&c games again...I'll look for more in my Steam library. Recommended.

31) Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (PS4): I've played most MGS games (1,2,3,4 and Ground Zeroes), but I've never really enjoyed them...I just played for the story. MGS5 is the first one that I actually liked playing. It's an amazing game, and by far my favorite MGS game. Played for 50 hours and got the true ending.

32) Sly 2: Band of Thieves (PS3): It's incredible how well this game holds up. I like 3D platformers in general, and really loved this game. I enjoyed it so much that I'll start playing Sly 3 right away.

33) Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (PS3): I loved this one too. I still think I liked Sly 2 a little more, but the whole series is very good.

34) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (3DS): Finally played this one to completion. Through the years I've played it, but until today I hadn't finished it. This game is an absolute masterpiece for its time. But I confess I wouldn't be able to finish it without a guide. Essential.

35) Nex Machina (PS4): I really like Housemarque games. I always play them once on the easiest difficulty level, and then keep it in my PS4 to play again from time to time, trying different things. This one feels a lot like Resogun, despite being completely different. Great game. Looks and plays great. It was a nice break from my long (and amazing) journey through BotW (I'm getting close to the end now).

36) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch): Finally got a Switch. What an incredible game! I'm not a big Nintendo guy, and after playing Horizon I though it was surely gonna be my GOTY. But BotW is just fantastic. The sense of exploration and wonder is unparalleled. I'm not sure yet if it beats Horizon for me, but it surely will be close. 2017 is shaping up to be one of the best years ever for games.

37) Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4): I thought this was gonna be a simple DLC, but it's a full-fledged Uncharted game. And it's one of the most amazing looking games I've ever played. Chloe and Nadine work really well as protagonists too. Much better than I expected.

38) The Sea Will Claim Everything (PC): A very odd game....it's very creative and funny at times, and has some really good writing. There's genius hidden in there somewhere, but it's not all it could be. I used a guide for parts of it, and I'd like to see these developers make a more elaborate experience someday. Very interesting.

39) Kamiko (Switch): It's a nice little indie game with pixel art. I finished it 3 times (one with each character) and it took 3 hours in total. It's not great, but it's good.

40) Destiny 2 (PS4): So much better than the first one. I'll consider it finished for now, but I'll keep playing it every now and then. I finished the campaign, all adventures and optional quests, played a little in the Crucible, a few strikes and completed a Nightfall. I don't think I'll play the raid because it's just too much work to coordinate six people for so many hours.

41) Cuphead (PC): I love and hate this game at the same time. It looks incredible (I have a real soft spot for those 1930s cartoons) and plays really well, but MAN, it's difficult! I died 768 (yep) times to complete it on normal difficulty. I guess I'm just getting old and my reflexes are not the same anymore (I'm 42), but I had a really hard time finishing this one. I'm very conflicted about the game, mainly because the visuals are such a warm blanket for me and make me feel very cozy, but the gameplay almost gave me a heart attack. Anyway, I'm glad I finished it. But I really wish someone made a game with visuals like this, but not so stressful (an open world RPG with different worlds, each one based on an era of animation would be my dream game).

42) Hare in the Hat (PC): After Cuphead, I need to play a few stress-free games. This one is a port of a mobile game...it's short, puzzle-based and slow paced. I played the game and The Abyss DLC.

43) RiME (PS4): A beautiful game that's all about exploration and light puzzle solving. I was enjoying it, but not loving it. And then that ending came and made me cry very unexpectedly.

44) The Walking Dead: A New Frontier (PS4): I love Telltale games, and this season was no exception. Maybe it's the best season of The Walking Dead so far. I played episode 1 yesterday and played all other episodes today. I just couldn't stop playing it...I loved the characters, the story and the choices. Great, great game.

45) Golf Story (Switch): What a cool little game...it's an RPG that uses golf instead of combat. The final tournament is a minor difficulty spike, but overall it's a very good game.

46) Assassin's Creed: Origins (PS4): I'm a huge AC fan, and played every single game in the franchise (including PSP, DS and the Chronicles trilogy). The series is a bit hit and miss, but I love it. Since Unity, it became tiresome and repetitive (although Syndicate is a good game). My favorites were Brotherhood, 2 and Black Flag. Now it's definitely Origins. This game has it all: Botw exploration, Souls combat, Destiny loot, Witcher 3 sidequests, Far Cry outposts, great stealth and the best setting the series has ever had: ancient Egypt (with amazing graphics and attention to detail). I love this game so much! I got lost in its world for 40 hours so far. Finished the story (and loved how it ended). But I'm far from done with the game...there's still so much do do and see! I never thought I'd say this in 2017 (IMO the best year in modern gaming), but I think AC Origins will be my GOTY (and I thought nothing would dethrone Horizon or BotW). Essential.

47) South Park: The Fractured But Whole (PS4): It's another South Park game. A nice story, some very funny moments, some gross jokes, and turn based combat that gets tiresome by the end. I liked it, but it didn't amaze me....2017 was a very good year for games, and it's very hard to be noticed among so many great titles.

48) Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PS4:) Another amazing shooter. It's incredible that Bethesda revived Doom and Wolfenstein with such a high quality. I really liked this game. Great story, characters and gameplay.

49) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch): It's probably my favorite Mario game (with Galaxy 2 being a close second). Exploration without timers and lives. Just pure gaming joy.

50) Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PS4): It's beautiful, insane, stressful, kinda boring in places. A flawed gem with great acting by a woman who's not a professional actress. It's definitely not for everyone, but it has impact.

51) Doki Doki Literature Club (PC): That's one bizarre game. I'm not a Visual Novel guy, but everybody was talking about this game, so I decided to try it (it's free, anyway). It started really slow, and as I was about to get bored, it twisted itself and transformed into something else. It reminded me of Pony Island...I'm glad I played it. Really strange and interesting.

52) Old Man's Journey (PC): It's a short and simple puzzle game about an old man on a journey (duh). It's bittersweet...beautiful and sad at the same time. You see the man's memories of love, happiness, mistakes and regret, and in the end you cannot help but feel sorry for him. Good.

...and this was my 52 games for 2017. As the year is not over yet (25 days to go), I'll keep posting here about any games I finish over this period.

53) Call of Duty: WWII (PS4): A nice campaign, to me it was on the same level as last year's, and a LOT better than BO3. I enjoyed the story and the characters, but it took me a while to get used to those old, slow guns. But it's a good campaign.

54) Hob (PS4): It's a "MetroidZelda" of sorts...nice art style, gameplay and puzzles. The only thing I didn't like about this game was the huge amount of time I spend wandering aimlessly without knowing what to do. But it's a good, charming game.

alext5

Neo Member
I'll bite. I have a gigantic steam backlog and a few console games. I could probably accomplish this without buying a game in 2017.

Completed

Too early !

Playing

Uncharted 4
Ratchet and Clank

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
r.i.p. old thread!

Just minutes ago I got rpg #52 to so my personal challenge was successfully cleared! Now onto 2017~

My gimmicks not doing 52 games! Just gonna take it easy giving stuff non-rushed playthroughs an if the total does somehow end up that high then it'll all have been done in a chill way!

Haha, that's a pretty good gimmick. My goal is to clear out my PS+ backlog so that I can drop it :p

Man, I fail at this every year. My best total (since I started keeping track, in 2009) was 39 in 2014, which... I have no idea how I managed even that, honestly; it's been about half that the two following years. I guess we'll see how much I can manage this time around though.

Man, I fail at this every year. My best total (since I started keeping track, in 2009) was 39 in 2014, which... I have no idea how I managed even that, honestly; it's been about half that the two following years. I guess we'll see how much I can manage this time around though.

It's probably because I never said that you could accomplish anything

Until now

"you could accomplish anything"

use that

dlemarc

After thinking about it the past 2 years, I think I'll finally attempt it this year. I doubt I'll get there, but at I'll at least knock out some of my decade-old backlog. I'm just playing single-player games until the end of the main story-line. I doubt I'll keep up this pace. All games are on PC unless noted otherwise.

01 - Batman The Telltale Series - 1/2/17 - 9 hours - 8/10
02 - Transformers War for Cybertron - 1/4/17 - 10.4 hours - 8/10
03 - Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 1/6/17 - 10 hours - 5/10
04 - Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate - 1/8/17 - 15.1 hours - 6/10
05 - Brothers A Tale of Two Sons - 1/10/17 - 3 hours - 9/10
06 - Assassin's Creed - 1/12/17 - 14 hours - 6/10
07 - Watch Dogs 2 - 1/28/17 - 31 hours - 9/10
08 - Grand Theft Auto 5 - 2/11/17 - 34 hours - 8/10
09 - Dear Esther - 2/18/17 - 1 hour - 5/10
10 - Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions - 4/16/17 - 13 hours - 7/10
11 - Back to the Future the Game - 5/14/17 - 15 hours - 7/10
12 - Castle of Illusion - 5/14/17 - 3 hours - 8/10
13 - LIMBO - 5/23/17 - 3 hours - 8/10
14 - INSIDE - 5/27/17 - 3 hours - 8/10
15 - The Turing Test - 5/29/17 - 7 hours - 8/10
16 - Assassin's Creed II - 6/22/17 - 20 hours - 8/10
17 - Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - 6/30/17 - 26 hours - 9/10
18 - Assassin's Creed Revelations 7/3/17 - 25 hours - 7/10
19 - Assassin's Creed III Liberation - 7/17/17 - 8.6 hours - 7/10
20 - Battlefield 3 - 8/20/17 - 8 hours - 6/10
21 - Mass Effect Andromeda 10/27/17 - 70 hours - 7/10
22 - Assassin's Creed 3 - 11/2/17 - 6/10

Nowak94

Neo Member
January
01. Final Fantasy XV
Destiny Intermission
April
02. Steins;Gate 0

Updated: May 25, seems like I'm failing quite hard so far.

Swapzism

This time it's for real.

2016: 25 Games

January
01. [XB1] Life is Strange - 22:38
02. [X360] Saints Row IV - 22:29
03. [X360] Tron: Evolution - 7:25
04. [PS4] The Order: 1886 - 7:45
05. [PS4] Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness - 18:13
06. [WiiU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 8:33

February
07. [XB1] Super Dungeon Bros - 6:32
08. [X360] Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - 27:10

March
09: [NSW] Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 35:00
10: [XB1] Assassin's Creed Unity - 30:17

April
11: [X360] Lord of the Rings: War in the North - 18:20
12: [XB1] Final Fantasy XV - 45:30
13. [XB1] Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris - 5:07

May
14: [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 55:00
15: [XB1] Mass Effect Andromeda - 95:34
16: [PS3] Heavy Rain - 9:40
17: [PS4] Killzone Shadow Fall - 7:25

June
18: [X360] Star Trek - 14:10
19: [PS3] Tales of Xillia - 31:32
20: [PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 - 34:44
21: [PS4] The Last of Us Remastered - 15:30
22: [XB1] Brothers: Tale of Two Sons - 3:08

July
23: [XB1] Halo 5: Guardians - 17:59

August
24: [GCN] Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - 28:54
25: [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 55:00

October
26: [PS4] Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered - 5:14
27: [PS4] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered - 8:30
28: [PS4] Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Remastered - 7:50
29: [XB1] Oxenfree - 4:00
30: [PS4] Ratchet and Clank - 11:15
31: [SNES] Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 25:00

NaXo

Banned
Been trying to clean up my Steam backlog now that I built a gaming PC, so maybe this year I stand a chance lol.

In fact, I've already beaten my first game this year:

1; Zup! 2 - 01/01 - 32 minutes
Fun little physics-based puzzle game. Bought it during this last sale as it appeared recommended on the storefront and the user reviews caught my eye. Though I think the reason why it has 98% positive user reviews is because it gives you 229 achievements in like 30 minutes. Anyway, I got it for less than a dollar, and I think it's well worth that amount as it kept me entertained. 5.5/10

2; Typing of the Dead: Overkill - 01/01 - 5 hours
Gotta admit, I played like the first 3 levels without knowing how to pick up items and was about to give up on it. Once I learned how, however, I had a blast with this game. The cliche characters, the purposely shitty voice acting and the funny sentences they have you type made for a fun 5 hours. Recommended. 7.5/10

3; ABZÛ - 01/03 - 98 minutes
Wow, just... wow. I bought this game thanks to the steam sale thread and what a pleasant surprise it was. The best way to define it is "Journey under the sea". The music is beautiful the story intriguing and the graphics... I loved how the game rewarded exploration with breathtaking vistas. I was in awe all the time while playing this game, can't really remember the last time I finished a game in one sitting and this one did it for me. Wonderful. 9.5/10

4; Batman: Arkham Origins - 01/06 - 12 hours
Let me start by saying that it's been a few years since I played my last Arkham game so IP exhaustion wasn't an issue for me. Now, the game was fun, I guess, I liked the new ememy types they added and the story was good in my opinion, though nothing to write home about. I ran into quite a few bugs like enemies not attacking and Batman not doing what I wanted him to. Overall I think this is my least favorite Arkham game while I still thought it was pretty good. 7/10

5; Batman: Cold, Cold Heart - 01/06 - 2.5 hours
Not much to tell that I didn't say above. I still ran into some bugs so my overall experience was the same. I quite liked the story in this one, mostly because I enjoy Mr. Freeze as a character and the DLC did him justice imo. 7.5/10

6; Batman: Arkham Knight - 01/13 - 20 hours
As you can see, I've been on a Batman kick lately. I played it on PC, and while the stuttering and audio issues are still present, they're not that common anymore and the game is perfectly playable. Now, the game itself was fucking amazing, loved every second of it, gameplay felt fresh despite just coming from another Arkham game. The Batmobile felt as a great addition in my eyes, despite what most people say. It is also really good looking, I found myself just looking at the scenery more often than not despite not having a high-end GPU (GTX950). 9/10

7; The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone - 01/17 - 7 hours
I've been a fan of this series since the first game. I finished the base game late last year because I didn't have a PC capable of running it before (I had the game since launch just to support CDPR). So I spend 103 hours to finish it and that didn't include the 2 DLC and some side stuff. I came back to it to play this DLC and man... the story and characters are superb. It really goes to show how bad the writing is in most games when a 7-hour dlc outshines full priced AAA games. There really isn't much more to tell, the new quest structures felt really refreshing after playing the main game. If you liked the base game, you will love HoS. 9.5/10

8; Pony Island - 01/18 - 2 hours
Interesting experience. I'd say the less you know about this game going in, the better your experience with it will be. Go play it! 8/10

Matriox

Claiming a spot... I always fail miserably at this but I made a resolution a couple months ago to be more dedicated working on my backlog. We will see how long that lasts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom