• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Maximo

Also

(Graveyard Mansion)

"Master loves his dog. Master thinks his cat is cool. Not the same thing."

"You're a moron"

"No I'm not, I'm black-brown!"

People who don't take Pet Pal are monsters.

Often the quests don't go anywhere or end up being a sad outcome when it comes to animals but Pet Pal is worth it just for the slly dialogue.

Kalentan

Yeah, I wish the game has more banter between the companions.

They do express their thoughts every now and then after certain events/quests, but that's about it.

It's the one thing Bioware does great imho. Character banter. It actually adds another layer to who you select for your party since different comps mean different banter.

Would be cool if they added something similar to this down the line. Or in OS3.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Holy shit guys, this game is REALLY good...like, I've played Divine, Beyond, DKS and Original Sin...but this is like BG2 good (it's blowing me away and keeping me from Destiny 2, no small feat!).

Maximo

Holy shit guys, this game is REALLY good...like, I've played Divine, Beyond, DKS and Original Sin...but this is like BG2 good (it's blowing me away and keeping me from Destiny 2, no small feat!).

Been sick for the past few days already up to like 80 hours....I have a problem.

A few hours into the swamp in act 1, and
just finished plundering the vault of braccus rex. Shit is hype as fuck. I love this game. This is a good game.

Stiler

So, during my extensive Fort Joy fooling around (30 hours, still haven't left it lol) I've found 6 ways to get out.

1. The Sewers through the dungeon, where Kniles is.
2. The teleport glove with the dwarf.
3. The Harbor.
4. The tower of the fort, where the high judge is.
5. The boat ride.
6. The front gate drawbridge, opened via a key that drops after helping Paladin Cork.

Think I've done about all there is to do here so finally going to leave.

Shahadan

So, during my extensive Fort Joy fooling around (30 hours, still haven't left it lol) I've found 6 ways to get out.

1. The Sewers through the dungeon, where Kniles is.
2. The teleport glove with the dwarf.
3. The Harbor.
4. The tower of the fort, where the high judge is.
5. The boat ride.
6. The front gate drawbridge, opened via a key that drops after helping Paladin Cork.

Think I've done about all there is to do here so finally going to leave.

You don't even need a key for the last one, just sneak and click on the lever

Reivaxe

Been just running around the fort, finding epic fights.

Feel like some of my fights must be from quest lines I haven't bothered to pick up.
Like the high judge ... shit was too hard to not be important.

Is there a way to control witch points pop up for which traits when you level up?

Shahadan

Feel like some of my fights must be from quest lines I haven't bothered to pick up.

Is there a way to control witch points pop up for which traits when you level up?

I don't think it was a quest in itself, he serves as the "final boss" before the escape route just past him. He provides additional info put in The Escape too

Yeah, that was the hardest fight for me as well. They destroyed my party on my first try. Then I roam around the fort to clear up the rest of them. After gaining another level and gearing up my gears for a bit, I finally got my revenge.

ymgve

Is there a good way to get healing potions in the starting area? That arena fight wiped out my whole supply of potions, and I've used up all the mushrooms for brewing them.

Also, how are you supposed to get into a few areas?
The walkway in the middle of the island - there are some vines that are interact-able, but every time I use them I just fall flat on my back. Also, inside the cave with the frogs, there's a ledge with a chest I don't know how to reach.

Kalentan

So my playthrough maybe over?

So uh... I'm at the
Bishop Alexander
fight and it's impossible. There is zero conceivable way to win the fight. They're all a level above me, and even with my characters having good armor and weapons, the guys just tear through us.
Ghiest
can break through my main's 100 armor and then down her to half health on one turn.

So GG I guess?

UberLevi

Just found the
Djinn
on a beach in Act 2. I decided to
wish for Wealth and got a stolen amulet.
Wondering if there will be any repercussions to this down the road.

So uh... I'm at the
Bishop Alexander
fight and it's impossible. There is zero conceivable way to win the fight. They're all a level above me, and even with my characters having good armor and weapons, the guys just tear through us.
Ghiest
can break through my main's 100 armor and then down her to half health on one turn.

So GG I guess?

Don't give up. It was looking very grim for me as well. Just make sure that your party is alive as
there will be a 'help' after a couple of turn or so. After it appears, stay away from them as they will fight each other.

Just found the
Djinn
on a beach in Act 2. I decided to
wish for Wealth and got a stolen amulet.
Wondering if there will be any repercussions to this down the road.

Weird, he refused to
grant me my wish.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
Are you doing two lone wolf setups? If so which skills etc?

Ya, attempting honor mode with a friend out of curiosity and just steamrolled through all of Act 1.

Friend is 2handed Warfare/Geomancer, I'm playing an Aero/Hydro/Summoner. He already has over 1k hp.

Kalentan

Don't give up. It was looking very grim for me as well. Just make sure that your party is alive as
there will be a 'help' after a couple of turn or so. After it appears, stay away from them as they will fight each other.

Yeah... That didn't work....

The Magisters completely and utterly destroyed the Voidwolken that spawned all the while killing 3 of my party members and one escaping. In fact, the Magisters went back to their default positions.

Like I said, I think this is impossible. Like there is no where else to go to level and get better gear. No one sells better shit.

ValfarHL

Is it worth having Fane as your main? Having to use poison spells to heal only him seems kinda cumbersome. At the same time I understand he's written by Chris Avelone? If that's the case, gotta have him!

When he gets his faceshifter mask, can you heal him with regular healing?

Wouldn't it be best to use him as a tanking type, so when you heal him you also damage the enemy?

Rad-

So guys who have played like 40+ hours or so, what would you say is the strongest team comp in your opinion? I'd go with something similar to:

1 melee guy (shield, knockdowns, heals, armor buffs)
1 ranged guy (dps, summons (summons are important because they can deal mag or phy damage depending on situations but also it's a class that works well as a secondary class))
1 mage (shield, debuffs like oil etc., magic aoe damage against big groups of low magic armor enemies)
Then either 1 more melee guy (2h dps, knockdowns, armor buffs) or 1 more ranged guy (dps, armor buffs). But basically more physical dps and more armor buffs

And then get teleport to as many guys as you can.

Basically the most important stuff for at least tactical difficulty has been teleport, knockdowns, armor buffs and maxing physical dps (physical dps just outdamages magical dps. I think a big reason is that lucky charm + thievery is so good that you get "above your level" weapons really often/easily and your weapons are always one step ahead of your magic skills in pure damage).

Is it worth having Fane as your main? Having to use poison spells to heal only him seems kinda cumbersome. At the same time I understand he's written by Chris Avelone? If that's the case, gotta have him!

Wouldn't it be best to use him as a tanking type, so when you heal him you also damage the enemy?

Healing isn't that important in this game. What's important is regening your armors. I have Fane as my main but as a mage though. I think he has died like twice in the whole game.

Like I said, I think this is impossible. Like there is no where else to go to level and get better gear. No one sells better shit.

For the Alexander fight a good tip is to fight in that small "hallway" that is near the statue. The fight is actually fairly easy that way because it seems to break enemy AI and you can just spam shit in that small area where enemies come from.

You could always go Battlemage with Necro with Fane. I imagine leeching blood still heals him?

Lanrutcon

So uh... I'm at the
Bishop Alexander
Ghiest

So GG I guess?

Break out the cheese, my friend.
1. Main ground entrance to the ruins can be blocked up with crates found in the destroyed camp or where ever. This limits their movement.
2. Approach from the west high ground (where the broken bridge is with the little island with the statue and chest). Don't fight from ground level.
3. Use that chest (with a few casts of the teleport spell and some invsibility or stealth) to block the top of the west ladder where the archer is. If they can't get to you, they can't attack you. Do NOT stand where the archer is or the enemies will rock you with ranged attacks.
4. First thing that needs to die once you've done 1# - #3 is obviously the west archer. You have those teleport gloves? teleport the ass west towards the broken bridge. He's alone, so you can destroy him and heal up afterwards.
5. Now leave the fight and save. Get your shit together. Things can go south from now.
6. Go back in the same way, the idea is to pop someone out to the ledge the archer was on, teleport a lone enemy into your party, then get your someone back OR invisible OR playing dead to avoid retribution. Then kill the dude you teleported out since he's alone.
Rinse and repeat.
7. If the lone enemy is too tough for you, then teleport him/her onto the little island to the west with the statue. Then just shoot them to death with a crossbow. Did that to Alex.
His ability to fight back is very melee based.
8. Now, the worm might appear. If so, hang the fuck back to the west and scatter your party there. Eventually it'll get tired of fucking with the magisters and pop over to your little safe spot. At which point, you can either fight (remove the armor, turn it into a chicken!) or bail everyone but one character who can play dead/turn invisible/use invisibility potions. Why? because then the worm will go back to kicking the magisters around,
and they will kill it for you.

Tedious, but reliable.

Adnor

Banned
Oh, apparently because the necromancy skills do physical damage they are buffed with warfare, so you can give it to your warrior without worrying about int.

Haven't tested it tho, so I can't confirm if it's real.

Rad-

Oh, apparently because the necromancy skills do physical damage they are buffed with warfare, so you can give it to your warrior without worrying about int.

Yes that's how it works.

Sarcasm

Ya, attempting honor mode with a friend out of curiosity and just steamrolled through all of Act 1.

Friend is 2handed Warfare/Geomancer, I'm playing an Aero/Hydro/Summoner. He already has over 1k hp.

Friends and I are doing tactican, we weren't too comfortable with one save only because we had some bugs in os1 that were easily fixed by a couple reloads back.

Summoner and Necro, summoner and pyromancer.

ValfarHL

So a Fane with Warfare and Necromancy can be a good start?

The Magisters completely and utterly destroyed the Voidwolken that spawned all the while killing 3 of my party members and one escaping. In fact, the Magisters went back to their default positions.

Yeah, I guess I was lucky back then. I've had a several of them surrounding the worm so my party was basically ignored.

I've also had my companions died a couple of times and I had to resurrect them though, so it was really a very close win.

I think Polymorph as well. The Red Prince's tentacle attack deals more damage than his other Warfare skills, in fact.

Megalo

Very, very impressed with the game so far.
Only 5 hours in but I can already feel the weight of the choices I have to make in each dialogues. I feel fully invested in the stories of my characters. + it's very well written, which helps.

And man, there's so many little good ideas in this game ! Everywhere I look, in every part of the game, there's some little cool idea that makes it different from the others.

I can't wait to jump back in tonight.

Larian really outdid themselves with this one, congrats to them.

Shahadan

You don't have to engage the battle from the main entrance. Use the time they'll need to catch up to you and kill one or two of them. Teleport people, even your own teammates if you need, use items, use the right skills to replenish your armors if need be.
Remember to spread when you need to.

I found this fight fun and rather easy tbh, it just can turn to shit if you're not careful. But there is virtually an infinity of possibilities for you to do it differently.
Also maybe there are some optional areas you haven't visited that will still give you xp like the maze or the tower but even without that you should be able to win. Bring ressurection scrolls in any case.

kionedrik

So guys who have played like 40+ hours or so, what would you say is the strongest team comp in your opinion? I'd go with something similar to:

1 melee guy (shield, knockdowns, heals, armor buffs)
1 ranged guy (dps, summons (summons are important because they can deal mag or phy damage depending on situations but also it's a class that works well as a secondary class))
1 mage (shield, debuffs like oil etc., magic aoe damage against big groups of low magic armor enemies)
Then either 1 more melee guy (2h dps, knockdowns, armor buffs) or 1 more ranged guy (dps, armor buffs). But basically more physical dps and more armor buffs

And then get teleport to as many guys as you can.

Basically the most important stuff for at least tactical difficulty has been teleport, knockdowns, armor buffs and maxing physical dps (physical dps just outdamages magical dps. I think a big reason is that lucky charm + thievery is so good that you get "above your level" weapons really often/easily and your weapons are always one step ahead of your magic skills in pure damage).

Healing isn't that important in this game. What's important is regening your armors. I have Fane as my main but as a mage though. I think he has died like twice in the whole game.

I'm about ~35h in the game, current playthrough is about 17h in tactician (3rd restart) near the end of act 1 and I settled with:
- Beast as a Fighter. Pure tank and disables. Works well although I'm thinking of respecing him with some healing or necro abilities
- Custom Elf Shadowblade for melee physical DPS. Due to high initiative she's usually the first to act and together with Ifan can bring down one enemy before they have a chance to act. The Elf racial skills also synergizes really well with this class.
- Ifan as a Wayfarer with crossbows for ranged physical DPS with some geomancer utility (Blind and Slow mostly). Usually the 2nd to act. Also, contrary to the first game, First Aid is a decent healing skill.
- Lohse as an Enchanter mainly for healing and utility. She's the one I'm most unhappy with and in dire need of respecing. First of all, debuffs are horrible since they don't work at all. I'm ok with magic armor blocking magic damage but magic status effects (stuned, chilled, frozen, etc) should be able to go through it, even if magic armor reduces the probability of a successful debuff. The same principle can be said for physical armor and physical debuffs (bleeding, crippled, etc) but since it's easier to destroy physical armor than magic armor this issue isn't as noticeable. Secondly, Regeneration (the only healing spell in her kit) has a super long cooldown, so I believe I need to invest in summoning or necromancy in order to get another healing spell. Third, Water and Air are a terrible combo in the current build as explained by my first point, you end up debuffing your guys more often than the enemies because you always have lower magic armor, so setting water surfaces with electricity is a big no-no, and I believe the same can be said for fire. Long story short, I'm thinking of changing her kit to Water + Summon or Water + Necro with 1 or 2 Air for Teleport and some other spell, low Int and high Memory because damage is a non-factor and all I want is a large array of spells to play with.

Welp.

I just cheesed the ever-loving FUCK out of the
Mordus/Wrecker's Cave Quest.

Guys, if you ever want to cheese the ever-loving fuck out of this game, have your entire party learn either Phoenix Dive or Tactical Retreat. They're basically much handier versions of teleport.

Man, I just fucked Act 2 so hard I feel bad that I didn't crash to desktop.

Ravelle

Started a co-op game with a friend and we're having a blast, I do think it's a bummer when one of us starts a conversation with an NPC, the other is only eavesdroppings and isn't taking part in the conversation, NPC's only react to the initiator and the the listener isn't allowed have his input. Other players should also get a notification if another player starts a conversation so I could join in and that player should be able to choose to wait for someone to join in because we often miss part of the conversations when you're dropping in mid convo.

Ragnaroz

Yeah, I guess I was lucky back then. I've had a several of them surrounding the worm so my party was basically ignored.

I've also had my companions died a couple of times and I had to resurrect them though, so it was really a very close win.
I was level 8 for this fight and they still killed my Fane and Sebille(twice). Just gotta keep ressurecting and going at it.
Alexander
obviously needs to die asap because that Faith aura is what's killing people. After him, get rid of the Gheist and the rest of the fight is pretty much just cleanup.

Lanrutcon

So it has been my experience that the Magisters don't exactly work for a living. They sit around while I fight evil, sometimes right outside their doorstep. So I had an idea. An idea that soon become a mission:

If the reds won't go to the fight, then the fight will go to the reds.

(mild non-story encounter spoilers from chapter 2)

W3NvzFp.png

Not shown: the giant bears I teleported to the town gates, the giant voidspawn I teleported to the other town gates.

Tovarisc

Im only 10 or ao hours in but I think Im going to start a new game and try and get a better party balance. Im a little frustrated with how I have done things so far.
You get to respec at the start of Act 2, you can fully respec both you and your party members so no need to restart because of that.
In Act 2 you can completely respec. Tough it out!

I was with feeling that HashtagLapsed has when I was ~12h into Act 1. It was struggle bus with flat tire and I couldn't deal with any of bosses within Fort itself. Stat distribution was awful and skill selection could have been better.

Party composition was just eh and badly picked stats.

I ended up restarting the game and with better understanding of the game I was able to make right picks. End result was far more easier and enjoyable time with encounters. If I had not restarted and decided to struggle on I can only imagine how pure hell those few actually hard fights in Act 1 would have been.

Getting to Act 2 with badly built party will be very tough. At least if he is on Tactician, maybe even on lower difficulties.

Also, how are you supposed to get into a few areas?
The walkway in the middle of the island - there are some vines that are interact-able, but every time I use them I just fall flat on my back. Also, inside the cave with the frogs, there's a ledge with a chest I don't know how to reach.

Teleportation gloves. If you don't have them you haven't poked around the world enough yet or got them and sold them.

Rad-

- Lohse as an Enchanter mainly for healing and utility. She's the one I'm most unhappy with and in dire need of respecing. First of all, debuffs are horrible since they don't work at all. I'm ok with magic armor blocking magic damage but magic status effects (stuned, chilled, frozen, etc) should be able to go through it, even if magic armor reduces the probability of a successful debuff. The same principle can be said for physical armor and physical debuffs (bleeding, crippled, etc) but since it's easier to destroy physical armor than magic armor this issue isn't as noticeable. Secondly, Regeneration (the only healing spell in her kit) has a super long cooldown, so I believe I need to invest in summoning or necromancy in order to get another healing spell. Third, Water and Air are a terrible combo in the current build as explained by my first point, you end up debuffing your guys more often than the enemies because you always have lower magic armor, so setting water surfaces with electricity is a big no-no, and I believe the same can be said for fire. Long story short, I'm thinking of changing her kit to Water + Summon or Water + Necro with 1 or 2 Air for Teleport and some other spell, low Int and high Memory because damage is a non-factor and all I want is a large array of spells to play with.

I think having some type of environment spells is good because it helps controlling enemy movement and the battlefield in general. For example cast fire to the ground next to a ladder and the enemy won't come down the ladder (not sure if this is an AI bug but that's the way it usually works even if the fire doesn't really hurt him that much).

Top Bottom