• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment |OT| Steel Thy Scythe

jacobeid

Banned
For 3DS:

If you already own Shovel Knight vanilla, go to the page for Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove.

Even if it says it's $25 or whatever. Go there, and there will be a button at the bottom for the update. It's free.

Wow....that's really antiquated. Both my PC and PS4 updated to Treasure Trove without me needing to do anything. I'm not sure about Wii U though since I haven't turned mine on in a few weeks.

Velcro Fly

I can't put into words how much better this feels to play than Plague Knight.

I feel like I have such better control than I did early on in Plague of Shadows.

I've died a few times and all of them are my fault! I either get antsy around spikes or I mistime a jump to be able to jump slash something or I get careless fighting a boss! It isn't because controls are clunky or the game becomes infinitely more difficult because I have the wrong bomb setup.

Does anyone know what the amiibo does for this? A lady upstairs said something about summoning a little fairy?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wow....that's really antiquated. Both my PC and PS4 updated to Treasure Trove without me needing to do anything. I'm not sure about Wii U though since I haven't turned mine on in a few weeks.

The WiiU updates automatically if you have that feature turned on. I just turned on my WiiU one day and, there it was on the Home Screen already downloaded.

Yeah the 3DS was really whack. I had to delete the game, backup the save data, and then find the Shovel Knight Treasure Trove on the eShop and redownload it. The Save Data backup restored after downloading and I was good to go.

It was weird, and I feel bad for those who have less experience navigating the 3DS system...

Anyways, the OST is amazing! I love playing through each level and hearing the new tunes, so great! The learning curve in movement is there, but nowhere near as bad as Plague Knight. I definitely died enough deaths to get frustrated because I down slashed, when I wanted to up-slash... but I'm getting the hang of it. There's a learning curve to the movement, unlike Shovel Knight, but its satisfying once you get it going.

Tarrin

So my PS4 downloaded the update this morning before I left for work, and my Shovel Knight icon showed as Treasure Trove 1.01.

I have the physical disc verison. Do I have Specter of Torment? Was it part of the update? Or do I have to buy it?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So my PS4 downloaded the update this morning before I left for work, and my Shovel Knight icon showed as Treasure Trove 1.01.

I have the physical disc verison. Do I have Specter of Torment? Was it part of the update? Or do I have to buy it?

Yeah, if you own Shovel Knight in any form you get that update for free.

oni-link

This is really annoying

This is what Yacht Club have on their website for the release dates:

Specter Release Forecast

Switch – Out Now!
ShovelKnight.com, Steam, Humble Store, GOG.com – Out Now!
Wii U, 3DS (Japan) – Out Now!
Wii U (North America) – Out Now!
3DS (North America) – Out Now!
PS4, Vita, PS3 (America) – Out Now!
Wii U, 3DS (Europe) – April TBD
PS4, Vita, PS3 (Europe) – May 3rd
Xbox One – April TBD
Fire TV – April TBD

The Wii U eShop updates on a Thursday and I tried to see if this had unlocked yesterday and it hadn't

The next Thursday is in May, so I guess the April TBD was a lie?

I can't find anywhere else where they have got a release date for the Wii U version of the DLC in EU regions, really frustrating

duckroll

It says "forecast" not "totally confirmed release window". They didn't lie, but yes this whole release schedule has been a mess and they should have handled it better.

oni-link

It says "forecast" not "totally confirmed release window". They didn't lie, but yes this whole release schedule has been a mess and they should have handled it better.

Yeah "lie" was probably the wrong word, but considering some people have had the games weeks now, it's disappointing they haven't updated us on the situation.

Was it this bad for the first DLC? I picked up a physical version on Wii U after the first DLC came out

If they at least kept those without the game yet in the loop, it would be so much better than this uncertainly

I've fired up the game 4 or 5 times in the last week to check if the patch had gone live, in 2017 that shouldn't be the best way to check if a game has released

duckroll

No the previous updates were fine. I think they bit off more than they could chew with this one since it wasn't just a new campaign being added, but also a relaunch of the game for new buyers in the form of either the bundle or stand alone campaigns. They had a lot of moving pieces to deal with on multiple platforms and then decided to throw all their resources into making the Switch one happen first because they wanted it at launch.

Reset

Just finished the campaign. Specter Knight is definitely a lot more fun to play as than Shovel Knight and Plague Knight, he's like Zero of the Shovel Knight series lol.

Just finished this and had a great time. I forgot about Plague Knight's campaign because I heard some mixed stuff at launch, but this was really amazing.

But, man, that tower climb game was rough, and the reward was not at all worth it. At that point I already had 30k in gems and had bought everything, so more money was not really what I was hoping for. Oh well.

Dekutulla

Just beat it. The credits roll with the deaths per level was about what I expected for most of them, 3-8 deaths for basically every level...

Except for the Flying Machine and the Final Level. The Final Level was, what, 17 deaths, which, sure, it's the last level. It's hard. But I had 26 deaths on the flying machine. God, that level fucked me over so badly in so many different ways.

Anyways, Specter Knight was amazing, just like Plague Knight and the base game were. I really enjoyed the story, and the prequel aspect of it, though I did miss the towns.

Also, poor
Zubaz

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man that orb that lets you teleport slash an enemy, you get it after beating Propeller Knight. That relic is OP! Gives you another movement option, I'm pretty much not using anything else.

The movement in this game , attacking through an enemy, reminds me a lot of Runbow. It's available on WiiU and coming to Steam and 3DS. Really recommend it to everyone. Especially if you enjoyed The Tower challenge of this game, Runbow has a mode thats very like that. I think if you enjoyed the movement and platform jumping in Specter, you'd also enjoy Runbow. Awesome multiplayer game too, but a great single player in its own right.

I've had Shovel Knight for along time now fired it up a bunch since and never beat it. When these 2 new campaigns updated I finally started a fresh game.

Finished shovel campaign then started Plague Knight. Had lots of trouble just getting through first stage.

I haven't tried Spector Knight campaign

Honestly
Having an hour an a half of excruciating burning diarrhea would be more pleasurable than ever playing through the tinker knight level in Spectre of torment ever again.

Regiruler

Honestly
Having an hour an a half of excruciating burning diarrhea would be more pleasurable than ever playing through the tinker knight level in Spectre of torment ever again.

That's one of the best levels though.
I've had Shovel Knight for along time now fired it up a bunch since and never beat it. When these 2 new campaigns updated I finally started a fresh game.

Finished shovel campaign then started Plague Knight. Had lots of trouble just getting through first stage.

I haven't tried Spector Knight campaign

Plague is probably the highest skill curve and skill ceiling. It's insane what you can do in it when you're good.

Anustart

Man that orb that lets you teleport slash an enemy, you get it after beating Propeller Knight. That relic is OP! Gives you another movement option, I'm pretty much not using anything else.

The movement in this game , attacking through an enemy, reminds me a lot of Runbow. It's available on WiiU and coming to Steam and 3DS. Really recommend it to everyone. Especially if you enjoyed The Tower challenge of this game, Runbow has a mode thats very like that. I think if you enjoyed the movement and platform jumping in Specter, you'd also enjoy Runbow. Awesome multiplayer game too, but a great single player in its own right.

Man, I'm on the opposite end of that spectrum. Found runbow to be an exercise in boredom. Also should be called power walkbow as you move so damn slow. Got it from a humble bundle and put it down after about 20 levels. Just couldn't do it.

Plague is probably the highest skill curve and skill ceiling. It's insane what you can do in it when you're good.[/QUOTE]

Cool I'll just have to stick with it more lol

Velcro Fly

Ugh I died in a pit on King Knight. That should be an achievement for being bad.

I did do Plague's entire stage without dying which felt good.

Not sure if I will like this more than Shovel Knight's campaign or not but it is damn fun.

Opa-Pa

Had to restart this on 3DS after playing a bit on PS4 because I had to travel this weekend, and wow! Yacht Club are amazing, I thought this time for sure the quality would lower but nope, it's just as good as Shovel Knight and Plague of Shadows, maybe even better.

Beat four stages and the tower challenge and I'm having a blast. The movement is extremely satisfying and I love how the level design makes full use of it.

Plague is probably the highest skill curve and skill ceiling. It's insane what you can do in it when you're good.

Agreed, Plague may seem tough to control at first, but once it clicks it's so much fun, and the stuff you can pull off with the different combinations is ridiculous.

It's funny, I was among the people who found the base game too easy, but I never expected them to follow it with such a challenging and technical game, and they more or less did it again with Spectre! I'm pleased.

bounchfx

Does anyone know if there's a way to "upgrade" your switch vanilla shovel Knight to the treasure trove edition? I want to get and beat the original before putting down money for the expansion. Thanks!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
The moving room section in the tinker knight level is entirely bullshit js

lol that level was good, and the boss fight was great! The "Teleport Attack the closest" enemy relic bailed me out a few times though. I highly recommend that relic all the time, or the "Invincible float" relic, also Easy Mode if youre having a hard time.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Does anyone know if there's a way to "upgrade" your switch vanilla shovel Knight to the treasure trove edition? I want to get and beat the original before putting down money for the expansion. Thanks!

What system are you on? If you own Shovel Knight, you get upgraded to Treasure Trove for free.

3DS is by far the most complicated version to update, the others should auto update when connected online.

bounchfx

What system are you on? If you own Shovel Knight, you get upgraded to Treasure Trove for free.

3DS is by far the most complicated version to update, the others should auto update when connected online.

I kickstarted it and got it for PC, but then also bought the original on 3DS. I want it on Switch but I don't want to pay for the full thing right now... seeing as I already bought it twice lol. I just want to know that I can spend 10 on switch, get it, and not have to spend a full 25 for the expansions effectively buying the original a fourth time

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I kickstarted it and got it for PC, but then also bought the original on 3DS. I want it on Switch but I don't want to pay for the full thing right now... seeing as I already bought it twice lol. I just want to know that I can spend 10 on switch, get it, and not have to spend a full 25 for the expansions effectively buying the original a fourth time

Does Switch version allow you to ONLY buy Shovel Knight and not the Treasure Trove? I thought Yacht Club was only selling Treasure Trove on the digital shops and you couldn't buy Vanilla Shovel Knight separately anymore.

But yeah, sounds like you're outta luck. If you want a Switch version you have to get the full thing, I think.

bounchfx

Does Switch version allow you to ONLY buy Shovel Knight and not the Treasure Trove? I thought Yacht Club was only selling Treasure Trove on the digital shops and you couldn't buy Vanilla Shovel Knight separately anymore.

But yeah, sounds like you're outta luck. If you want a Switch version you have to get the full thing, I think.

Yeah, they're listed separately. I was really hoping there would be a way to upgrade afterwards. I don't wanna risk it though without knowing :(

thanks for your help!

Regiruler

Yeah, they're listed separately. I was really hoping there would be a way to upgrade afterwards. I don't wanna risk it though without knowing :(

thanks for your help!

Treasure Trove is everything and is equivalent to the game what was known as just "Shovel Knight".

"Shovel Knight" = "Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove" > "Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment"

ArjanN

Honestly

I'm always kinda confused when people complain about the difficulty of Shovel Knight given it's pretty easy compared to most platformers. There's a checkpoint like every 3 screens and the relics are also a pretty big crutch.you can lean on.

I'm always kinda confused when people complain about the difficulty of Shovel Knight given it's pretty easy compared to most platformers. There's a checkpoint like every 3 screens and the relics are also a pretty big crutch.you can lean on.

I believe that the people that have problems have not played older platform games or have not played them in a long time and have lost that skill to breeze through them.

ArjanN

I believe that the people that have problems have not played older platform games or have not played them in a long time and have lost that skill to breeze through them.

Yeah I guess. One of the big inspirations for this is clearly Mega Man and replaying the MM games in the legacy collection reminded me how much meaner and less fair they are.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
When will the co-op mode and the body swap mode be available for other platforms?

Yeah. Co-Op has been on WiiU for about a year, but now its for everyone (except for 3DS).

I think people forget about how useful those Relics are. Shovel and now, Specter have relics that allow you to be invincible for a few seconds. You can spam that to get past almost every difficult section in the game, and they also have relics that literally restore your life.

Playing Shovel Knight with no health/magic/or relics is really the most "NES" way to play, and it's a lot of fun! (if you're into learning a game). Yeah, beating Shovel with no upgrades or relics is my favorite way and really helps you master the hell out of the game. I love Specter Knight enough to want to play the game that way too, after I finish it - to do a Low% run.

Yeah. Co-Op has been on WiiU for about a year, but now its for everyone (except for 3DS).

I think people forget about how useful those Relics are. Shovel and now, Specter have relics that allow you to be invincible for a few seconds. You can spam that to get past almost every difficult section in the game, and they also have relics that literally restore your life.

Playing Shovel Knight with no health/magic/or relics is really the most "NES" way to play, and it's a lot of fun! (if you're into learning a game). Yeah, beating Shovel with no upgrades or relics is my favorite way and really helps you master the hell out of the game. I love Specter Knight enough to want to play the game that way too, after I finish it - to do a Low% run.

And even then, it's not that hard if you're experienced at platformers. If you cut your teeth on NES and SNES games then Shovel Knight is a breeze. Fun as hell and brilliant, but a breeze. I'll never understand the comment that Shovel Knight is too hard.

Aru

Beaten the game a few minutes ago. Great game overall, but a bit easier than the previous campaigns because of the air slashing. I think I still prefer Plague Knight overall.

I wish they would like let you make donations or something. It's absurd they aren't charging for this.

Double dip, it's what I did (PC and PS4+Vita). Granted, it still felt too little. :D
"Worst" part is that there's still King Knight campaign to come for free in the treasure trove, if I'm not mistaken.

No the previous updates were fine. I think they bit off more than they could chew with this one since it wasn't just a new campaign being added, but also a relaunch of the game for new buyers in the form of either the bundle or stand alone campaigns. They had a lot of moving pieces to deal with on multiple platforms and then decided to throw all their resources into making the Switch one happen first because they wanted it at launch.

I suspect it has more to do with whenever Sony / Nintendo damn please passing certification than anything else, but I guess Yacth themselves might have run into unexpected issues with this particular campaign.

Opa-Pa

I do not understand the plague knight hate. It is seriously great.

It has one of the most interesting and technical examples of movements I've seen in a platformer. It's incredible and very satisfying.

Edit: Holy shit, just beat Tinker Knight's level in Specter and so far it's been the best. The movement skill puzzles are the best, and using judgement rush against him felt badass too.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I do not understand the plague knight hate. It is seriously great.

There's a learning curve there. It takes more than a couple of stages to really get movement down, I would say it takes nearly a whole campaign for you to figure out which of the other bomb types and Arcanes work best for your play style.

I think its one of those games where if you're patient enough to really learn a game, and do a second play through, it gets better every time.

... But I mean compare that to Shovel Knight. There is NO learning curve to the movement. By the end of the opening stage you probably never die again from "Oops, I didn't realize the character movement physics was going to make me do that". It's very contrasting to Shovel Knight. Specter seems to be in the middle of those two. The first couple of levels require some learning curve, then once you get it... your'e set. It's a valid opinion for people to feel Spectre is better than Shovel Knight itself. It's really that great!

It has one of the most interesting and technical examples of movements I've seen in a platformer. It's incredible and very satisfying.

Edit: Holy shit, just beat Tinker Knight's level in Specter and so far it's been the best. The movement skill puzzles are the best, and using judgement rush against him felt badass too.

I know Tinker Knight was fun! I think the The Tower Challenge is A LOT of fun too! I haven't completed it yet but I like that its semi-random every time and you can replay it and get a different experience.

SpK is a lot more enjoyable than SK and PK though Ive enjoyed it all. Think im on the last level now, games amazing. Couldve been considered a sequel to Shovel Knight honestly

Top Bottom