• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Street Fighter V Worth Buying Now?

Malice215

The $40 bundle on PSN is worth it because the season passes alone run $30 each.

SFV is worth buying if you care about competitive multiplayer or dressing up Chun Li in multiple outfits. If not, then it becomes a huge investment in time if you want to unlock characters, stages, costumes along with the time spent waiting for matches online and time spent trying to get gud. Or you can throw money at the game if you want to get what you're looking for faster.

If you're interested in just single player, then you should already know the deal by now.

I bought the game at launch at full price. I'm still waiting for them to improve the service. I was ready to get back into the game, but the improvements to the game are delayed along with the balance changes, and the DLC that I wanted is no longer available because they screwed up.

Rymuth

I don't know how you do it honestly, back when I was still playing I only had money to buy Ibuki, Juri and a stage, nothing else. Maybe it got better with weekly challenges? I don't know, but doesn't feel like I'll even be able to get them at all if I return now
Cinematic story normal+hard
Individual character storylines
Demonstration (where you watch the computer do moves. Yes, you get FM for watching demonstration videos)
Survival easy

All of that should net you at least a seasons worth of characters and when you get new characters, rinse and repeat

Shadoken

It's 40$ right now on PSN with 26 characters( season 1+2 DLC includes) and a 5 hour story mode. Still doesn't have an Arcade mode tho , if you really like that. Still a pretty good buy. It looks amazing in motion , only comparable fighter out there being Guilty gear.

However GAF must punish Capcom for their heinous crimes and not buy the game , so don't buy it.

petran79

Banned
If you are interested in playing online with just people you are acquainted with, Guilty Gear features a much better lobby where you can play the next match immediately.

SFV lobbies feel much inferior in comparison. If you want the soul crushing experience of playing countless players online,SFV is the best option.

For single player experience and characters,Blazblue is the best option. Ryu,Ken,Sakura and Chunli can never match the bond between Ragna, Jin, Noel and Rachel.

Tekken 7 will be even more difficult to get into than both SF and GG, having to memorise 50 moves for every character.

You say that, but it seemed pretty barren on PS4 when I checked last week. I can't speak for the PC version, though.
Okay, I've switched over to the PC version now since it's currently more convenient for me. Can't finish an arcade playthrough with fight requests on because I get fights every five seconds. So it's definitely crowded on Steam.

Weekly Missions almost always give you 5k+ by completely a challenge that's so simple it's effectively demonstrating you have a pulse. Even better, 5,000 of it comes from one challenge that you can complete in 2 minutes. It's a step removed from being a log in bonus.

Hmmm, Still characters are like 20k or something aren't they?

Cinematic story normal+hard
Individual character storylines
Demonstration (where you watch the computer do moves. Yes, you get FM for watching demonstration videos)
Survival easy

All of that should net you at least a seasons worth of characters and when you get new characters, rinse and repeat

Can't you do all of that only once? I did every character's story mode and did not have FM enough to write home about, much less buy all of the characters avaible

Can't you do all of that only once? I did every character's story mode and did not have FM enough to write home about, much less buy all of the characters avaible

Doing every character's story mode from the base roster will probably net you enough for one character, maybe like 50k on top.

But do the trials+ demonstration, the general story mode on normal and hard (You can skip the cutscenes and it'll still count), and the easy survivals and that FM easily adds up.

One character is 100k FM. But each character has their own story mode, survival, trials + demonstrations though.

Bought in with the season passes. There's no chance of me being able to put in the time to earn these things.

Really happy that my Saturn controller USB adapter works through the legacy controller menu flawlessly on PS4.

hemtaro

Neo Member
Is injustice really worth waiting for? I feel that when it comes to fighting game, alot of the exciting tournament plays are from marvel vs capcom or street fighter. I rarely see injustice being BIG. Mortal kombat or smash are also widely popular.

Fraeon

Online community is dead on that game too.

Eh, it's not but few really play ranked.

Then again, if GAF has mostly made it clear that single player offerings far outweigh any multiplayer ones in importance.

However, if you're only really interested in the single player then I'd say pass. Of course, if you're only into single player then I'd say pass to almost every fighting game because they make plenty of single player games where the single player is the focus. But if you're into shit like MKX's story mode, which I struggled to stay awake during, then SFV isn't for you. Or maybe it is. It also has a long, boring story mode.

Pretty much how I feel.

Blackage

I know California KoFXIV online is still a fairly playable thing If you run into locals, and there's alot of them, if you live anywhere else in the US, ehhhh, the netcode does not handle distance well at all.

Kashiwaba

Is injustice really worth waiting for? I feel that when it comes to fighting game, alot of the exciting tournament plays are from marvel vs capcom or street fighter. I rarely see injustice being BIG. Mortal kombat or smash are also widely popular.

While i think gameplay wise it's not as good as Capcom games, but usually NRS games are what you call the full package great story mode, tons of single player modes and active online community anytime you hop in to play.

The $40 bundle on PSN is worth it because the season passes alone run $30 each.

SFV is worth buying if you care about competitive multiplayer or dressing up Chun Li in multiple outfits. If not, then it becomes a huge investment in time if you want to unlock characters, stages, costumes along with the time spent waiting for matches online and time spent trying to get gud. Or you can throw money at the game if you want to get what you're looking for faster.

If you're interested in just single player, then you should already know the deal by now.

I bought the game at launch at full price. I'm still waiting for them to improve the service. I was ready to get back into the game, but the improvements to the game are delayed along with the balance changes, and the DLC that I wanted is no longer available because they screwed up.

I want it for this.

Orta

Banned
Steam sale until August 6th for €10.

Do I need to pay extra for new characters, costumes, etc?

Kreydo

Steam sale until August 6th for €10.

Do I need to pay extra for new characters, costumes, etc?
It's not the Arcade Edition, so yeah you will have to buy the 2 Season Pass Characters...
Just buy the Arcade Edition for 24€ it worth it, SFV is the most important fighting game of this generation, and it's stunning on PC.

KiteGr

If you don't mind the 80% content being digital and the future paywalls, then it's ok.

From a collector's standpoint, it's rubbish.
Even the retail "Arcade Edition" contains nothing more than the old standart edition with a bunch of vouchers thrown in. It also had been censored before, during and after it's release, causing my buyer's remorse to skyrocket.

JimmyJones

Banned
I bought it because I had so much fun with SF4 despite sucking at it. I've got every character in 5 and I'm still crap.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
This is one of my GOATs. I own PC and PS4 versions. I come back to them almost daily. SFV is not only beautiful, but also has a unique roster, and is just fun as hell. Plenty of ranked, casuals, and lounges playing too. I can play literally all night. And I suck at it...

P.S. Likely will never be a complete edition so don't hold your breath.

Last edited:

Kreydo

Guys wake up, and maybe you'll understand that SFV is probably the only game with a AAA budjet for the niche versus fighting market.

I could agree when people were mad about Capcom when the game came out 2 years ago without content, I was in the crowd screaming and we were right.
But since Arcade Edition, no! Whinning to just be a whinner make no sense, the game worth those 24$ and even the 40$ of past month.
At some point you will have to understand that you have to pay for quality if you don't want Versus Fighting to disapear... Because yes, fighting game is on the edge... And you will not like when publishers will totaly take over the gameplay to add lootboxes, F2P tricks and other bullshit to turn it in a P2W on smarphone.

It's not a Call Of Duty game that will sell no matter how trash it is... Street Fighter is the most popular fighting game but still don't sell much, really think about it.

Last edited:

EDMIX

People who play SFV have told me its better, but I don't really know if you really can fix what is wrong with the game tbh. I'm not much into fighting games so who knows.

Guys wake up, and maybe you'll understand that SFV is probably the only game with a AAA budjet for the niche versus fighting market.

I could agree when people were mad about Capcom when the game came out 2 years ago without content, I was in the crowd screaming and we were right.
But since Arcade Edition, no! Whinning to just be a whinner make no sense, the game worth those 24$ and even the 40$ of past month.
At some point you will have to understand that you have to pay for quality if you don't want Versus Fighting to disapear... Because yes, fighting game is on the edge... And you will not like when publishers will totaly take over the gameplay to add lootboxes, F2P tricks and other bullshit to turn it in a P2W on smarphone.

It's not a Call Of Duty game that will sell no matter how trash it is... Street Fighter is the most popular fighting game but still don't sell much, really think about it.
In this post, we pretend Mortal Kombat X, Injustice 2, and Tekken 7 don't exist. I wouldn't call SF5 AAA either, the presentation of the game is all over the place, some parts and models look really good while others look pretty poor.

Yet the 3 games mentioned above, and Dragonball FighterZ all outsold SFV/selling at a faster pace, and met or exceeded sales expectations, and SFIV had huge sales compared to SFV. Thinking about it, it sounds like the problem is with Capcom's handling of there recent fighting games, not fighting games themself. P.S. Tekken is the best selling fighting game franchise, so I would say it's the most popular, SF is just more popular as a esport....although boths top 8 got similar views at this years Evo and Dragonball FighterZ destroyed both in views, so Tekken is catching up there as well.

Also funny you mentioned lootboxes since SFV actually just added them with fighting chance to get people to use up there fight money, and fight money is literally a FTP trick given how much content is locked behind it, you have to massively grind for it, and that you can use real money as a alternative.

People who play SFV have told me its better, but I don't really know if you really can fix what is wrong with the game tbh. I'm not much into fighting games so who knows.
They added more modes, added more content, most of which is still locked behind fight money to encourage real world spending however, and improved the input lag issues, however besides adding a second v-trigger they really haven't done much to improve the actual gameplay and improve on the movesets of some characters that severly need work.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
Put it this the fanbase is not growing. There are definitely new players coming in but there are vets that have hung it up.

There was about 2500 at Evo last year and there are about 2500 this year. Make of that what you will but new characters does help.

Kreydo

In this post, we pretend Mortal Kombat X, Injustice 2, and Tekken 7 don't exist. I wouldn't call SF5 AAA either, the presentation of the game is all over the place, some parts and models look really good while others look pretty poor.
It's not what I meant, but yeah MKX and Inj2 got a AAA prod but are not created to be competitive it's mainly about story/solo play... They are fighting game but they don't aim to the niche of FGC.

Dragonball FighterZ all outsold SFV/selling at a faster pace, and met or exceeded sales expectations, and SFIV had huge sales compared to SFV. Thinking about it, it sounds like the problem is with Capcom's handling of there recent fighting games, not fighting games themself. P.S. Tekken is the best selling fighting game franchise, so I would say it's the most popular, SF is just more popular as a esport....although boths top 8 got similar views at this years Evo and Dragonball FighterZ destroyed both in views, so Tekken is catching up there as well.
DBFZ is a marvelous game, I'm not pretending SFV is the perfect game... When the game was released it was a shame, mostly because Capcom choosed to follow the esport hype instead of waiting a year to deliver a polished product.
But with Arcade Edition Capcom delivered, sure a bit late but the game is great and polished.

I also want to come back on 2 points : lot of sells doesn't necessary mean it's good... And if DBFZ got the most view during EVO it's because it was prime time almost worldwilde, while a N.A player was in final.
SFV view dropped almost by half when the N.A player Thecoolkid93 lost in top8.
Not saying it's not deserved for DBFZ, I'm just giving you some clue.

I agree for the rest of your post and I'm sad that Capcom start to abuse these practicing to lure customers... But customers are also to blame because they always ask for cheap and fastfood content regarding to quality.
I just don't want to see the Versus Fighting end like how MMORPG ended... I'm sick of all those game that got some in-deph gameplay sinking in the mainstream F2P trashbox.

Last edited:

Iaterain

Has anything improved and is it worth buying?
I bought SFV Arcade Edition for few bucks during the sales and felt ripped of.
The graphics and art style are top notch. The gameplay is good but everything else is so bad that it overweights all good stuff.

1. It feels like a "Demo" version, you will never get full experience without spending $1000+.
Very few maps are available, other maps cost a lot of $;
Iconic street fighters and most of characters are locked behind super expensive macrotransactions;
All costumes are locked behind macrotransactions;
Even interface buttons and music locked behind expensive macrotransactions;
There is NO WAY to farm in game currency to buy anything without spending real money. You will need to grind like a full-time job in order to afford one little thing.

2. The online mode is surprisingly bad. 60-70% of battles are lagfest.
People told me that it has something to do with net code,
but I didn't know what it mean. Now I know. The multiplayer is almost unplayable + it takes 10-15 min to find an opponent online. Imagine that something is working really bad, believe me, SFV online mode is much worst than that.

3. The Story mode is a cringe fest. I would rate it as the absolutely worst story mode in the gaming history. It is so bad that the game would only benefit if they removed it. People who are responsible for the story mode should feel really bad for their work, it is total embarrassment and disrespect to consumers.

I highly recommend everyone to avoid this game as plague. It is much worst situation when EA's Star Wars Battlefront 2. I have no idea how Capcom managed to get away with it.

Top Bottom