• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward 3DS save corrupting bug info thread

Busaiku

As long as you don't save in the PEC room or Crew's Quarters(you could just avoid saving during puzzles if you want to be safe) you shouldn't run into any problems.

Again, for the record, only problems that causes your save to corrupt.
The are still bugs which can cause you to force a system restart (in the PEC room at least, no saving needed) and things that can kick you out of the game (not completely sure where, but didn't involve the Crew Quarters or PEC room, but happened after I finished saving).

Instro

Ugh. If only we knew whether there was a proper patching system in place on the 3DS (I know Mario Kart got that update).

There should be, it was supposed to have been added in back in May or so. Mario Kart had to use that odd way of patching since the game came out prior to that firmware update.

Hopefully something will get done about it, were there any reports of this in the JP version?

On the subject of the crew quarters, I saved a bunch of times during that puzzle area without any issues, so it might be pretty rare there if it does affect that section.

Oh damn, my game actually crashed in the PEC a few hours ago.
Luckily my save data was fine, and I saved like mad the second time through the room.

What I noticed was mainly slowdown throughout the entire room. Accessing menus and pressing buttons in the puzzles had a short delay. Did not have any issues with anything specific in the room but inspecting the
Zero III doll
is what caused my crash.

sakipon

Why would someone release a game that was reported to be buggy in Japan? I realize the publisher cannot fix these problems themselves but sounds shady to knowingly ship a new version of a problematic product. I think only the working version (Vita) should've been brought over with an explanation to fans.

Why would someone release a game that was reported to be buggy in Japan? I realize the publisher cannot fix these problems themselves but sounds shady to knowingly ship a new version of a problematic product. I think only the working version (Vita) should've been brought over with an explanation to fans.

Because an avoidable bug shouldn't avoid some people playing this.
Now, I hope they find a way to fix it.

creid

Just had a hard freeze in the PEC when inspecting something (
the "touchscreen" on the door
). Scary. Glad I knew to save right before the room started.

Edit: I'm using the original 3DS.

bakedpony

Imagine getting almost all the endings and then your save corrupts??? So glad I'm a vitabro. Hopefully word will spread on the bug to avoid potential victims that may no longer finish the game.

Javier

Oh damn, my game actually crashed in the PEC a few hours ago.
Luckily my save data was fine, and I saved like mad the second time through the room.
Wait, you saved IN the room and you were fine? Has anyone else saved inside the PEC Room and not have the game crash?

Wait, you saved IN the room and you were fine? Has anyone else saved inside the PEC Room and not have the game crash?

Yeah, I saved basically every time I did anything the second time through the PEC. All menus and buttons in the PEC were laggy, including saving, but it didn't crash on me again.

Shame. This could've been easily avoided with multiple save slots like in the Vita version. Which brings me to my question:
Why does the 3DS version have only one save slot?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member

*raises hand*

I saved and reloaded a couple times in the PEC room.

I've gotten 100% on the 3DS version too... Some slowdown with certain puzzles loading, but no crashes throughout the entire playthrough for me.

Not gonna lie though, when I heard about this bug I got a little anxious at every framedrop... Hope this gets patched out soon.

*raises hand*

I saved and reloaded a couple times in the PEC room.

I've gotten 100% on the 3DS version too... Some slowdown with certain puzzles loading, but no crashes throughout the entire playthrough for me.

Not gonna lie though, when I heard about this bug I got a little anxious at every framedrop... Hope this gets patched out soon.

Same for me.

I've also saved multiple times in the crew quarters. I've had zero problems with about 15 hours of play time now.

...and posts like these are incredibly stupid.

The 3DS version is going to sell a lot more than the Vita version. It would be dumb to only release on the latter.

Eusis

Got through PEC, no saving, without save corruption OR crashing, fortunately, and I precautioned by hopping back in time to save THEN hopping back forward. Only time it crashed was, I think, when jumping from one of the endings to a branch, and that was post saving so it's literally the best time to have a crash if it's going to happen, so long as it doesn't corrupt saves obviously.

Had one crash in the PEC room at the second connect the dots puzzle, which I've seen other people has an issue with as well. Made it through the second time fine.

I think the fact that many of the crashes seem to be happening at specific places in the PEC room indicate that it's a specific set of actions/triggers that cause the crash.

Ridley327

Shame. This could've been easily avoided with multiple save slots like in the Vita version. Which brings me to my question:
Why does the 3DS version have only one save slot?

I'm assuming that the Vita version saves to the memory card rather to any internal EEPROM, like the 3DS version does. And for a game that has to keep track of as many decisions and progress like VLR does, I wouldn't be surprised if they maxed out the available EEPROM on whatever game card the game uses. 999 had only one save file, as well.

Tmdean

Banned
I'm assuming that the Vita version saves to the memory card rather to any internal EEPROM, like the 3DS version does. And for a game that has to keep track of as many decisions and progress like VLR does, I wouldn't be surprised if they maxed out the available EEPROM on whatever game card the game uses. 999 had only one save file, as well.

That doesn't make sense. Each decision couldn't take more than a byte. I'd be shocked if the save files are more than a couple kilobytes.

Kazerei

Banned
With the Vita version, one save file is 1664 KB

I'm guessing the 3DS cart is just under one of the threshold sizes, like 2 Gb or 4 Gb, for cost reasons. They probably allowed just one save slot and compressed the audio and such to meet that threshold.

Ridley327

With the Vita version, one save file is 1664 KB
I'm guessing the 3DS cart is just under one of the threshold sizes, like 2 Gb or 4 Gb, for cost reasons. They probably allowed just one save slot and compressed the audio and such to meet that threshold.

Wowzers; I'm basing this off of the EEPROM sizes that existed on the DS, but for perspective, a Pokemon save file took up 512 KB, and I don't think any disputes the crazy amount of data they have to keep track of.

Kazerei

Banned
If you think about it, the game keeps track of whether or not you've seen every piece of text. So that when you're fast-forwarding, it knows when to stop.

Ridley327

If you think about it, the game keeps track of whether or not you've seen every piece of text. So that when you're fast-forwarding, it knows when to stop.

Yeah, that's another thing to consider when it comes to the save file; it's a lot of stuff to keep track of.

Whether or not this impacts the stability of the save file on the 3DS remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's the case.

I just had a crash while in the novel section.

Wanna guess which room it was in? Do you?

The Pressure Exchange Chamber. Damn that place is fucked up.

Theres goes my average playtime. So pissed. Gonna try and go through it again ugh.

Kyou

I just had a crash while in the novel section.

Wanna guess which room it was in? Do you?

The Pressure Exchange Chamber. Damn that place is fucked up.

Theres goes my average playtime. So pissed. Gonna try and go through it again ugh.

There has to just be a memory leak in that room somehow, right?

IrishNinja

damn, the crash list sounds troubling (thought not as bad as the bug, admittedly) - realistically, is anyone expecting a patch? i suppose i could swap my copy when it gets here (for a vita i dont have yet) but id rather play it on my 3DS, without having to keep a list & be paranoid about locations safe to save in.

Volcynika

damn, the crash list sounds troubling (thought not as bad as the bug, admittedly) - realistically, is anyone expecting a patch? i suppose i could swap my copy when it gets here (for a vita i dont have yet) but id rather play it on my 3DS, without having to keep a list & be paranoid about locations safe to save in.

I'm not sure how much it would cost for Aksys to get a patch released, but hopefully they can. This could really sour anyone from buying the game on 3DS (in the case they don't have a Vita as an alternate option).

They need to get this sorted, there's no 'may be able to' about it. I've cancelled my pre-order.

999 was probably my favourite DS game, but no way am I supporting this kind of shit and spending money on something that is broken. Aksys have been on here peddling the game to us for long enough.

Mupod

I just finished the PEC room last night and I probably saved/loaded half a dozen times, no crashes here. I have noticed some occasional slight slowdown when turning or loading puzzles, I guess. Also the reason for my saving/loading is that the PEC room has the dumbest puzzle in the game so far. Somebody forgot that 'green' is not supposed to look 'yellow'...no, I'm not colorblind.

Eusis

Well, you are never going to know the actual numbers. I am pretty sure a heft amount of the sales will be digital purchases in the west.
We might get word one way or the other from Aksys though.

And this IS a game with niche appeal, it's possible that more of those may have a Vita, with 3DS or not, than just a 3DS.

Posted it in the main thread but it might belong here.

So I think I ran into a bug. I'm in the archive files and well I can't back out. I can't even touch the memo pad. I thought it was my 3DS at first but when I pressed the home button then resume it worked so it's not the touch screen. Arrows won't work on the touch screen atlease.

Should also add the room. Archive room.

Huh... First route I take just happens to lead me to the PEC. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing... It crashed just as I was starting the puzzle. I decided to be a snoop and check the safe shortly after starting the puzzle. And then it froze on me. Uh, this puzzle better not F*** up my save. As early on as I am, I'm really wanting to advance the story! >.<

The PEC is exclusive to the one path in the OP, right? So I won't be looking at that room again?

Sera O

Banned
I haven't gotten my Vita copy in the mail yet. If I'd had the option though, I'd have been tempted to opt for the 3DS version after trying to make memos in the vita demo, so I feel for you guys. I really, really hope there is a patch eventually - save corruption is a big deal.

Thores

My save file got corrupted when I was in the Security room. I had taken the leftmost path, and I was about 6 hours into the game. So yeah, this does happen in puzzle rooms beyond the PEC and CQ, thought I would offer the heads up.

I think what might speak for how good this game is that one day later I replayed that entire six hours, then played four more. I am making sure to only save during novel portions now and I still consider my purchase totally worth it, crazy bug aside. I would really appreciate a patch, though.

Top Bottom