• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Straight Right (Mass Effect 3 Wii U) porting AAA Square-Enix game to Wii U

mantidor

Can't believe it's taken until page 4 for anyone to mention Thief.

Thief 4.

Believe.

Thief was my (impossible) dream game for Wii. A thief game with proper motion plus controls? I salivate at the thought.

Chances are low but damn if I'm not salivating again, motion plus is so perfect for the game.

I hope it's a FFXIII compilation but it's more likely a western game like Tomb Raider.
What's GAF concensus at this point about FFXV? I can see it finally coming "full" multiplatform with the return on a Nintendo console as well as the ps4 and X720. If so, SquarEnix will need to throw some FF games ports at WiiU owners before that. And design-wise, tbalet controls can do a lot of things for the J-RPG's!

Why would they need to throw ports at Wii U... that train of logic doesn't seem to have any tracks. The only FF games that are tied story wise are FF4 and it's direct sequels, FFX and it's sequel, and FFXIII and it's sequels.... skipping over the older series is a givein, and I wouldn't be surprised if they DID support Wii U that they'd skip past 13 series as well... Porting 3 games is a lot more work than just starting fresh.

That said, people still think of Square Enix as mostly a game developer like it was well over a decade ago... but in reality most of what they do anymore is publishing, so I wouldn't be expecting any J-rpgs myself.

A lot of people are mentioning games from SE subsidiaries, but if they were really porting Deus Ex or Tomb Raider, I'm sure they would have said an "Eidos" game, and not SE, considering that SE wants Eidos to retains its identity.

I hope it's a FFXIII compilation but it's more likely a western game like Tomb Raider.
What's GAF concensus at this point about FFXV? I can see it finally coming "full" multiplatform with the return on a Nintendo console as well as the ps4 and X720. If so, SquarEnix will need to throw some FF games ports at WiiU owners before that. And design-wise, tbalet controls can do a lot of things for the J-RPG's!
IMO if SE takes FFXV multiplatform there's no way the Wii U doesn't get a version.

Unless MS reverses the trend of the Xbox bombing horribly in Japan the Wii U and the PS4 will be the only viable home consoles in their home territory and they won't be able to afford ignoring one or the other.

I don't think this rumor is about a SEJ developed game though.

Terrell

Hitman and Tomb Raider would be new up and coming titles so I'd bet on those, DX:HR wouldn't make much of a splash this late, and I guess Sleeping Dogs might fly too.

Hitman is released before 2013. Naturally, if we exclude the internally developed titles from Japan (which we naturally should), there's only one game that fits the profile of a known 2013 Square Enix game.

Actually....ya, it's still a port to me, but if its a good game I'm all for it....although its not really/necessarily a new experience....

We're assuming that they're not aiming to be day-and-date with the other versions of this 2013 title because...? Were it to release on the same date, it IS still a new experience, regardless of the circumstances.

Jackano

Why would they need to throw ports at Wii U... that train of logic doesn't seem to have any tracks. The only FF games that are tied story wise are FF4 and it's direct sequels, FFX and it's sequel, and FFXIII and it's sequels.... skipping over the older series is a givein, and I wouldn't be surprised if they DID support Wii U that they'd skip past 13 series as well... Porting 3 games is a lot more work than just starting fresh.

To start rebuilding some kind of audience for their games on the system. Some franchises are tied to some particular systems in the mind of customers, and after decades of that it's hard to change things just by releasing the next FF on Wii U. We already saw how it was hard for Konami to sell some PES in the firsts releases of the game on Xbox. Sales share was largely in favor of the ps3 at first. Somewhat the same for GTA. In the case of FF it will be even more hard after (doing the math)... ~19 years without a main FF game on a Nintendo home console? Crystal Chronicles hardly did the job to recall FF fans on Nintendo's after, well, SquareSoft trahison. And the main reason for the game to exists was both to have the authorization to make GBA games and to send a good message just before the fusion with Enix.
In short, Squix will need to make the Wii U more compliant to their audience, and not just sit and watch.

Meesh

We're assuming that they're not aiming to be day-and-date with the other versions of this 2013 title because...? Were it to release on the same date, it IS still a new experience, regardless of the circumstances.
I see what you're saying and agree with you my good sir!

Supposedly Meagan Marie from CD claims that TR is not in-development for Wii U (at this time):

http://wiiuturn.com/tomb-raider-364-not-in-development-for-wii-u-as-of-this-time/

Tomb Raider is in development for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. No Wii U at this time!

I don't know if I buy that, for all we know it could just be referring to that CD is not behind a Wii U version, not that the version period is not underway anywhere, or it's just classic denial and then bam, it's announced a week later (DS Lite anyone?).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Supposedly Meagan Marie from CD claims that TR is not in-development for Wii U (at this time):

http://wiiuturn.com/tomb-raider-364-not-in-development-for-wii-u-as-of-this-time/

I don't know if I buy that, for all we know it could just be referring to that CD is not behind a Wii U version, not that the version period is not underway anywhere, or it's just classic denial and then bam, it's announced a week later (DS Lite anyone?).
Well, it could be Hitman or another Square Enix game.

I mean if they're only doing one, that leaves a fair amount of options open (still including Tomb Raider of course).

NateDrake

I would take it the way you did. CD isn't making Tomb Raider Wii U but outsourcing it remains a possibility.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Deus Ex Human Revolution? If they do something about the boss fights and use the touch screen for hacking, I'd probably buy it again.

StuBurns

Banned
Might be Thief, I didn't imagine it making '13, but anything is possible. All these late port suggestions seem kind of pointless to me. None of them would sell anything.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Might be Thief, I didn't imagine it making '13, but anything is possible. All these late port suggestions seem kind of pointless to me. None of them would sell anything.

I'm assuming people are guessing things that are out or almost out because they said "short term contract", and late 2013/early 2014 isn't especially short for a port timeframe if they started in June.

That said, UE3 has already been ported to the Wii U, so that would conceptually make Thi4f easier to port.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm assuming people are guessing things that are out or almost out because they said "short term contract", and late 2013/early 2014 isn't especially short for a port timeframe.
A fair point. I think any bandwidth dedicated to old ports that will require dedicated marketing campaigns seems wasteful, and unlikely. If they have something that could be Game of the Yearized on the other two too, that'd make more sense, but I can't think what that'd be.

Sadist

Is Thi4f a 360/PS3/PC release? I didn't know.

But somehow I'm still expecting Tomb Raider. Wouldn't be the first time if a TR game gets a late port on a Nintendo system.

Meelow

Banned

I wonder if they commented on the speculation that everyone was talking about or they got asked, hmm usually companies don't comment on rumors or speculation.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if they commented on the speculation that everyone was talking about or they got asked, hmm usually companies don't comment on rumors or speculation.

Well, this wouldn't be the first time they made this statement, so it's not entirely out of the norm for them:

Will we see Tomb Raider on the Wii U or any other Nintendo Platform?

[Karl Stewart, Global Brand Director For Crystal Dynamics]: “At this time no. When we started developing the game we made a conscious decision that it was all about building the game for a platform and making sure the game was specific to that platform. Given that we’ve been working on the game quite a while before Wii U was announced I think it would not be right to try and port it across. If we started building a game for the Wii U we would build it very differently and we would build it with unique functionality.” [Transcribed from Crystal Habit Podcast]
Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460348

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah I knew about that, after Warren Spector said Epic Mickey 2 wasn't coming to Wii U because it was too late in development and then it getting announced for Wii U makes me not want to believe any statement until the full facts come out.

I'm not ruling it out since I still feel it's the most logical thing to port, just that I don't think this response would be especially unusual for them.

Straight Right mentions having "one or two things in development" while saying Funky Barn was done by Tantalus, thing is they already said that FB was their "new IP", but this shows they are making more than one game (one of which obviously being the SE port), I asked if one was an actual new IP, no answer.

Here's what they said on FB:

Funky Barn was developed by our sister company, Tantalus. It just came out on Wii U. We have one or two other things in development :)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Based on what was said in that latest Tomb Raider development video... it's likely being announced for the Wii U soon.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"We have a super secret announcement that will change the way you play Tomb Raider."

Not that I'm especially doubting the game will come to Wii U, but hasn't Square Enix also been introducing social hooks like Autolog into their games a la Sleeping Dogs and Hitman: Absolution's Contracts mode?

BD1

Banned
"We have a super secret announcement that will change the way you play Tomb Raider."

Yup, that sounds like Wii U to me. How funny would it be if they added multi-plat motion control? Motion+, Move, Kinect support to protect Lara.

Pity its not Nixxes, those guys are wizards at porting. Can't really say the same for Straight Right if the Mass Effect 3 Digital Foundry analysis is anything to go by.

Looks like the nerds wet dream for the last 16 years is finally gonna happen, you have to touch Lara, lol

In all seriousness hope thats what it is and hope the game is good

udivision

Sounds way too gushing to be referring to a Wii U port, particularly given CD's previous comments. Probably some manner of social/iOS/Android functionality.

Compromise and make a Miiverse community for the Wii U. No game or anything, just the community. And you'll only be able to access it from PCs/Phones/Tablets once that functionality for Miiverse launches, not the Wii U itself.

Top Bottom