• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Thread 3: Indie Jones and the Template of Doom

_Rob_

Working on an atmospheric arena for Vlad The Impala's boss battle; I do love me some gothic architecture!

VladImpalaScreenshot.png

Lautaro

Hi, in a few days I'm going to launch Beastmancer on Steam and I could use a few testers. The game is a monster tamer tactical RPG for PC and Mac (hopefully I'll have time to make a Linux version later).

RAi4P5Z.gif

Please send me a PM only if you have time to test the game and give me feedback. For my previous game I got several requests and some people just took their key and disappeared. I cannot pay you but if the feedback is useful I can put you in the credits as tester.

All feedback is welcome but I'll give priority to bugs, severe fps drops and major issues with quests. Also it would be nice to know if the dialogues are readable, I hired a proofreader but she only modified around 10% of my lines (the game has more than 20k words) so I'm not sure if that's a credit to my english skills or laziness on her part.

So a small design question.

If you were playing an RPG nowadays do you prefer the old style of random battle encounters like old Final Fantasy, or a more modern style of having each enemy roaming the map and visible similar to Persona?

I’m debating between the two currently while I work on some other overworld mechanics and it’s difficult to choose

For the love of god, encounters on-map. Random Encounters are just plain bad design in this day and age unless they are extremely fine-tuned, encounter-rates can be manipulated up or down by the player by some game mechanic or option, and stages are balanced against the concept of "Movement as a Resource".

DemonNite

So a small design question.

If you were playing an RPG nowadays do you prefer the old style of random battle encounters like old Final Fantasy, or a more modern style of having each enemy roaming the map and visible similar to Persona?

I’m debating between the two currently while I work on some other overworld mechanics and it’s difficult to choose

definitely no random battles for me. Even back in the day, I hated it.

For the love of god, encounters on-map. Random Encounters are just plain bad design in this day and age unless they are extremely fine-tuned, encounter-rates can be manipulated up or down by the player by some game mechanic or option, and stages are balanced against the concept of "Movement as a Resource".

Seconded. I mean, unless you're doing some sort of retro-themed RPG in RPG Maker. And even then, I would scale it back.

It's not so much about the encounter rate as it is balancing the grind.

More love for how super fast UE4 is for prototyping once you're used to it

Basic attack in overworld to enter battle to back to overworld finished. Now I just need to make the enemies not just stand there and get some other overworld mechanics started.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks all :)

I had presumed that would be the answer but you never know until you ask!

(Pity that way is more work lol)
Chiming in late, but I'll also agree that random encounters get really annoying.

At MINIMUM, if you want to try something temporarily that's less work, you can go the Pokemon route (require someone to keep using max repels, but that's annoying) or even better the Bravely Default route (give the player a slider to turn the encounter rate to whatever they want).

missile

Found a nice little program called licecap that does exactly what i need :)

edited with new gif
Exactly what you need, excessive banding and flickering? xD
Gifcam isn't any better, indeed.

Looks like most of the gif tools have copied the code from each other, yet
no one has spent the time improving the quantizer or dithering techniques.

Exactly what you need, excessive banding and flickering? xD
Gifcam isn't any better, indeed.

Looks like most of the gif tools have copied the code from each other, yet
no one has spent the time improving the quantizer or dithering techniques.

It doesn’t have random green spots or static so it’s what I need for now :p

missile

It doesn't have random green spots or static so it's what I need for now :p
Yeah, the annoying green dots, perhaps a quantizer bug. For, if you save with
Nearest there are no green dots, iirc, but the quality will be somewhat lower
nevertheless. However, after recording, if you go Edit -> Green Screen and
choose for example Magenta, the green dots are gone for me (most often)
when saving with Quantize then. Whatever, it's a mess. This bug is in Gifcam
since the last version.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
As far as gifs go, I've been quite happy using screenToGif to capture the frames for gifs, and then importing those frames into GIMP and finishing up the process there. I don't know what screenToGif does behind the scenes in it's gif creation process but it's always a whole lot larger than when I process them myself in GIMP. It's nice to have <15MB gifs as opposed to some of the whoppers we've seen in here. That way you can tweet it too.

_Rob_

Toying with the idea of unique health bars for each boss, I kinda like the idea of theming each one around the character as opposed to something generic, thoughts?

HccwGlt.jpg

DemonNite

Toying with the idea of unique health bars for each boss, I kinda like the idea of theming each one around the character as opposed to something generic, thoughts?

HccwGlt.jpg

I think the idea sounds interesting in my head but it goes against what I'm always trying to look for in terms of UI/UX. Consistency. Especially if you have a handful to create for each boss, eventually you'll hit a wall and just add design "fluff" to make it different.

Personally, as it doesn't add much at all to the user experience I would probably leave that out.

I need to find a way to continue learning how to develop games with someone while I don't have a car. The more time I wait the longer it'll be until I accomplish my goals. Working alone has not worked and that one time I worked with someone the shit was able to finally stick. I just need a consistent way to do that without having a car.

I tried working with someone in this thread before online, but it went bad.

DemonNite

I need to find a way to continue learning how to develop games with someone while I don't have a car. The more time I wait the longer it'll be until I accomplish my goals. Working alone has not worked and that one time I worked with someone the shit was able to finally stick. I just need a consistent way to do that without having a car.

I tried working with someone in this thread before online, but it went bad.

It might've just been a bad partnership and you should give that another go.

Either that or make more of an effort to meet up with others for the occasional catch up at a central place so its easier for all.

Skittles

I think the idea sounds interesting in my head but it goes against what I'm always trying to look for in terms of UI/UX. Consistency. Especially if you have a handful to create for each boss, eventually you'll hit a wall and just add design "fluff" to make it different.

Personally, as it doesn't add much at all to the user experience I would probably leave that out.
Nah, small things like that make the presentation of the game go wayyy up. Just look at how the UI changes per world in kingdom hearts 2

Tain

HccwGlt.jpg

I’d say yeah as long as the inner meters have a consistency to them. Think something like how modern Tekken lets you choose different health meter frames.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!

HccwGlt.jpg
If it's just the portrait and filigree stuff on the border it seems like a nice addition to me. If it fits the theme of the boss right I could see it adding a lot to the feel of things. It's just one more touch of polish that some gamers really appreciate.

_Rob_

Nah, small things like that make the presentation of the game go wayyy up. Just look at how the UI changes per world in kingdom hearts 2

I’d say yeah as long as the inner meters have a consistency to them. Think something like how modern Tekken lets you choose different health meter frames.

If it's just the portrait and filigree stuff on the border it seems like a nice addition to me. If it fits the theme of the boss right I could see it adding a lot to the feel of things. It's just one more touch of polish that some gamers really appreciate.

Thanks for the feedback, something for me to think on!

It was actually playing Tekken 7 recently that lead me to try it out. It would be just the border and the portrait that I'd be changing, the position and the health bar itself would stay the same.

So, I don't know whether I should post in this thread or not, given the early stage of the game, but here I go!

Firstly a little bit of personal history. My experience with game development is actually limited to modding. I used to playing around with the old Lithtec engine when that was a thing (around the release of the two NOLF). Later I made a custom level for the old Tomb Raider IV game. I've always liked experimenting with the editors bundled with pc games, so I've tried quite a few of those all these years, but I never made the jump, so to say, because:

a) When I had the time I didn't have the programming skills
b) When eventually I learnt a few languages, university was my main focus and I didn't have time for anything else.

So now that my dissertation is almost done (hopefully!) I came back to that old passion of mine and I've been trying to make something tangible. My work for the dissertation required me to make two android applications, both leveraging the GPU through OpenCL, so I've acquired quite a bit of experience about Java and generally making high performance applications. My engine of choice was Unity exactly because I hoped to apply what I had learnt about Java to making C# scripts, and I must say that the experience has been pretty great! I was really surprised by how easy it is to prototype a gameplay feature if one knows a little bit of Java/C#.

As for the game itself, for the time being I've settled for a dungeon crawler of sort, played in real time though (the player moves by steps, but said steps are taken in real time - think FF active time battle, if you will). The atmosphere of the game is inspired by an old 3DO fps, called Immercenary. In fact the premise is quite similar: the player finds itself trapped in a virtual reality and must find a mean to escape. The influence is quite clear artistically too: being no professional artist, I opted for a combination of low resolution textures and low poly models, which gives the game a 90's look while masquerading my deficiencies as a conscious artistic choice.

There are some features I'd like to talk about, but I have not implemented them yet so it would be pretty pointless. Here is a gif of the testing scene I've been making, with the purpose of trying out a few gameplay ideas and making myself acquainted with Unity.

0RRVFt4.gif

If you are interested I can post some other gifs of the same scenes, though there isn't much else to show, apart from some light interaction with the environment.

Got basic NPC interaction functioning :)

5f2284769c.gif

and of course, my never ending inspiration from dark souls means you should clearly be able to do this to any NPC too...

4d8532be36.gif

It might've just been a bad partnership and you should give that another go.

Either that or make more of an effort to meet up with others for the occasional catch up at a central place so its easier for all.

Thanks for the help monkey. So I want to learn how to make something in Pico-8. I've gone over the first four or five tutorials and I would like someone to go over the rest with or if someone here is already familiar with it to work together or show me how to do some of the basic stuff. I should have free time this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I have Skype and Slack for communication.

PacoChan

Neo Member
Hello everyone! I just wanted to post this game I'm working on. It is still in development and it is progressing nicely.

What is Without Escape?

Without Escape is a point and click horror graphic adventure inspired by those first person graphic adventures with pre-rendered backgrounds from the 90s.

Story

You wake up in a cold winter night because you hear some weird noises, and decide to investigate. Soon you will discover that something really bad is happening. Will you be able to endure these horrible events?

Screenshots and Trailer
DPawlxG.jpg

Z1H4ySa.jpg

HOA4tGo.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjsSlH7Zttg

You can check out more in Steam and Itch.io!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/720730/Without_Escape/
https://bumpy-trail-games.itch.io/without-escape

missile

As far as gifs go, I've been quite happy using screenToGif to capture the frames for gifs, and then importing those frames into GIMP and finishing up the process there. I don't know what screenToGif does behind the scenes in it's gif creation process but it's always a whole lot larger than when I process them myself in GIMP. It's nice to have <15MB gifs as opposed to some of the whoppers we've seen in here. That way you can tweet it too.
Perhaps gimp converts the anitmated gif into a difference coded one where
static pixels are marked as transparent. Saves a lot of bytes if you have slow
varying pixels, i.e. backgrounds etc..

... So now that my dissertation is almost done ...
What's the subject of your dis?

What's the subject of your dis?

In short, a neural network simulator for smartphones.

Hello everyone! I just wanted to post this game I'm working on. It is still in development and it is progressing nicely.

What is Without Escape?

Without Escape is a point and click horror graphic adventure inspired by those first person graphic adventures with pre-rendered backgrounds from the 90s.

Story

You wake up in a cold winter night because you hear some weird noises, and decide to investigate. Soon you will discover that something really bad is happening. Will you be able to endure these horrible events?

Screenshots and Trailer
DPawlxG.jpg

Z1H4ySa.jpg

HOA4tGo.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjsSlH7Zttg

You can check out more in Steam and Itch.io!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/720730/Without_Escape/
https://bumpy-trail-games.itch.io/without-escape

Looks really polishes and, perhaps, Silent Hill inspired. Which can only be a good thing of course. Are you developing it by yourself? What engine are you using?

PacoChan

Neo Member
250275770 said:
Looks really polishes and, perhaps, Silent Hill inspired. Which can only be a good thing of course. Are you developing it by yourself? What engine are you using?

Thanks! Yes, there are some Silent Hill influences. It is made with Unity and everything is done by myself. Although everything is pre-rendered with the exception of the items you get.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I always deliberately only worked on one game project at a time. Now I'm working on 3 and a half! There's just too many things I want to do. :| Well, at least 2 of them are almost finished.

Catacomb Chess
r3oj9_I.png

Digital Firewood
h9_E56q.png

Raum Raser (just started)
screen01a.png

Navpoint Beta (sequel to Navpoint Alpha)
(no screens yet)

LordRaptor

I hate going to bed having not been able to fix a bug. It will be in my mind all night.

A lot of the time if I'm banging my head against trying to find a solution a good nights sleep or doing something entirely unrelated helps as my subconscious can noodle away at it and send me the answer as a flash of inspiration

Top Bottom