• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 Hardest Video-Game Bosses, Ranked

Ctrl-f Chai - Shenmue

BGwq96P.jpg

0 results. I guess once you know how it can be done it's doable but I doubt very few if any beat him in the Arcade first time.

Toxi

Banned
CTRL+F "Laurence"

For a list full of Souls bosses, they managed to forget the hardest Souls boss. Laurence on NG+ and above is insane. His damage output is obscene, his health bar is obscene, and just avoiding getting hit in the first phase of the fight is a ridiculous nightmare.

The worst part about him for me is (if I remember) there is no New Game + mode for PQ1, so you have to replay him as a wuss again if you want to play through the story a second time. That SUCKS.

That sums up my PQ experience. See, I love the game. I occasionally start it again from scratch on one of the platforms I own the game for, and I lose interest after a bunch of hours. Reason? The constant orchestrated extra turns, the rigged skull spawns. All bosses are annoying. Not difficult per se, on an equal ground you'd beat them easily because the AI would otherwise be kinda trash. But it literally works with information that is not on the screen and you are unable to know. That's not really different from input reading bosses in fighting games. I don't think I'll ever get to beat that guy again, I'll likely keep on losing interest far earlier.

I have bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad memories of #92.

kurahador

What a weird list. How the hell is Kai Leng managed to be in? And Sephiroth is alot harder in KH1, but not even in the rank?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Basically nothing from MMOs, no mention of bullet hell shooters, nothing from hardcore indie platformers.

Yep, this list is basically "100 bosses that are mostly known among casual gamers", nowhere near ranked in difficulty.

Kind of my take. There are notorious raid bosses all over the MMO landscape including some bull shit ones that are probably unbeatable like Absolute Virtue from FF XI. There are a ton of easy bosses on this list and others seem totally out of order considering how hard some actually are compared to others.

How the heck is Senator Armstrong so low? That dude really messed me up! I probably fought him 50 times. Great fight but hard as crap.

I agree with where Orphan of Kos is at...but some of these are questionable.

CaptainClaw

Titanfall 2's Viper isn't even the hardest boss in the game... tbf even on the hardest difficulty non of the bosses were top 100 worthy

Seriously no Bayonetta?...come on bro ;(

why the hell is KH2 sephiroth at like 8th, if it was KH1 sephiroth i wouldn't think to badly about him being there but KH2? he's a pushover

also why are Zelda 2 and OOT dark link on here? both those fights are barely anything if you know what to do

Toxi

Banned
Can I just say thank God Whitney from Pokemon Gold and Silver isn't on the list?

Whitney was never hard, you just sucked at Pokemon as kids and only used Cyndaquil.

Vitten

Nameless King was easy peasy with an all out magic build: 60+ points in the intel stat, court staff+10, equip all the magic damage boosting gear and then nuke him with crystal soul spear. * Yawn *

Manus is the real boss of all Souls.

CloudWolf

Nameless King is way too high, didn't really have much trouble with him at all on my two playthroughs. The first phase becomes a joke if you use lightning. There are much harder bosses in Dark Souls 3.

Not enough MMORPG bosses, to be honest. WoW alone had a smorgasbord of brutal encounters... and whilst that would make for a less diverse list, they have kinda done that anyway with the sheer number of Souls and Destiny bosses.

Certainly not an original point in this thread but it is worth reiterating: This is a dumb list that eschews accuracy and intrigue in favor of including things that people know and will be like "yeah I beat that and it was hard". Yes, I realize this is a result of their weird/populist criteria, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a misleading list.

An accurate list would:
1. Consist almost entirely of arcade games and
2. Consist almost entirely of SHMUPs.

A console game that has been beaten by a large number of people simply does not contain one of the 100 hardest video game bosses of all time. That includes relatively difficult games like Bayonetta and the Ninja Gaidens.

Agreed. There are plenty of arcade games where I couldn't even beat the second level, much less any given boss. They were hard because they were designed to eat quarters.

Also a lot of "hardest bosses" would be completely obscure things that no one would recognize. For example I've read the CRPG Addict blog where he plays ancient RPGs from the 80s and early 90s, and sometimes he just beats his head against certain bosses for hours. Or even is forced to give up, wondering if there must be a bug with the game.

I'd also have to ask, what makes a boss hard - time required to beat them? How difficult it is to beat them without dying? Because a lot of Metal Slug bosses are quite difficult to beat without dying, but not hard at all if you allow yourself a few continues. Whereas with some MMO bosses you have just a couple attempts per day at most. That sort of thing.

The ๖ۜBronx;250060017 said:
People still somehow managing to be bewildered that a 'top x list' differs from their own personal experience and tastes, and still believe it's possible to have an 'accurate' list of such a thing.

Of course it's possible to work towards a more accurate list. For example if there were Steam achievements for every boss in every game, you could compare percentages of players who actually beat each boss. Or for more accuracy, some sort of record keeping on how much time or lives were spent on each boss vs. number of times defeated. Or mass polling among as many game players as possible - first a poll with a list of tons of games asking people to name the hardest boss in each game, followed by a poll asking which of the selected bosses each person was able to beat, or considered the hardest. There are ways to measure this sort of thing, we're just generally not doing it right now.

I realize this list makes no claim of any particular amount of accuracy, but I'm sure a better consensus could be reached. Even if it was something like, 5 gaf threads with different rankings, and a poll asking if THIS list is the most accurate one.

correojon

After reading through the whole list, and finding not a single SNK fighting game boss, my conclusion is simply: that list is bogus.

They do mention M. Bison "inspiring" other bosses, but there are much harder/cheaper/frustrating fighting game bosses than him.
Same thing I thought, when you talk about hard bosses it's impossible not to mention SNK ones. I wouldn't consider Bison a hard boss either, Gill was much harder. Also, Senator Armstrong at the end of the list and Dark Link in OoT much higher than that? What?
The list abuses Soul bosses and completely leaves out things that make them look like a walk in the park. I can think of a lot of bosses in DMC3/4, Bayonetta 1/2, Contra, Megaman classic/X/Zero and many others worthy of filling the top spots of that list.

Rellik

How the heck is Senator Armstrong so low? That dude really messed me up! I probably fought him 50 times. Great fight but hard as crap.

Didn't find that difficult at all. Breezed through it on the first try by following the clear pattern and I'm not even that good at Rising.

But these lists are always subjective. Like M. Bison is ranked higher than Goro. I couldn't beat Goro but thought M. Bison wasn't that difficult.

Whoever put Vergil that early on must never have played against him on Dante Must Die. Ridiculous fight.

Having played Ninja Gaiden Black pretty recently, the main reason Alma is so difficult is because she's random. Whether she's hit by Flying Swallow or blocks it is completely random, and if you don't use it at the safest possible times and she blocks, you get countered by a grab that does ridiculous damage. But Flying Swallow is the only way to stun her or knock her out of the air without using Ninpo, so you're almost forced to use it. She would still be a difficult boss if it were consistent, but certainly would be more manageable.

Of course it's possible to work towards a more accurate list. For example if there were Steam achievements for every boss in every game, you could compare percentages of players who actually beat each boss. Or for more accuracy, some sort of record keeping on how much time or lives were spent on each boss vs. number of times defeated. Or mass polling among as many game players as possible - first a poll with a list of tons of games asking people to name the hardest boss in each game, followed by a poll asking which of the selected bosses each person was able to beat, or considered the hardest. There are ways to measure this sort of thing, we're just generally not doing it right now.

More accurate is always possible in that sense, and your suggestions have some gaping holes in them themselves. The idea of being irritated because a publications top-100 list doesn't match your own seems stupid considering such an expectation is impossible to live up to. There will always be missing games, there will always be bosses you found tough not on the list.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Personally I'd have put the Alien from Isolation at number one. He's a menace the entire game and, unlike most bosses, the primary barrier of player progression.

Tbf I would put Alien Isolation at the top of every list.

Kind of my take. There are notorious raid bosses all over the MMO landscape including some bull shit ones that are probably unbeatable like Absolute Virtue from FF XI. There are a ton of easy bosses on this list and others seem totally out of order considering how hard some actually are compared to others.

Exactly. Coordinating extremely specific classes and builds for hours on end with no margin for error (nor checkpoints) in some MMO bosses is like the definition of insane difficulty. Doing 1cc through some Touhou, Dodonpachi, Deathsmiles, etc. bosses is very tough even on the lowest difficulty, let alone on the highest ones. Someone rightfully mentioned Puzzle Quest's final boss as well where, skills aside, you need luck. A LOT of it. That makes it inherently harder because you could play perfectly and still not have a chance because your opponent's RNG is better than yours (and it always is, pretty much). A lot of the bosses included are difficult, but come on, nothing to do with some of the truly difficult things. I'd argue that any later level in Super Meat Boy or N++ is more difficult than some of these options.

Same thing I thought, when you talk about hard bosses it's impossible not to mention SNK ones. I wouldn't consider Bison a hard boss either, Gill was much harder. Also, Senator Armstrong at the end of the list and Dark Link in OoT much higher than that? What?
The list abuses Soul bosses and completely leaves out things that make them look like a walk in the park. I can think of a lot of bosses in DMC3/4, Bayonetta 1/2, Contra, Megaman classic/X/Zero and many others worthy of filling the top spots of that list.

No lies detected in your entire post.

Blobbers

hqdefault.jpg

YGO Forbidden Memories son
each one of these 6 guys alone is tough as balls. Metal Zoa, Meteor B Dragon, Blue Eyes Ultimate, FHD up the ass. And you have to beat all 6 of them to beat the game. back to back. without saving.

Personally I'd have put the Alien from Isolation at number one. He's a menace the entire game and, unlike most bosses, the primary barrier of player progression.
Tbf I would put Alien Isolation at the top of every list.

The atmosphere in that game was top-tier. On first playing I found myself hiding under a desk from the Androids for ten minutes, before moving to a locker for fifteen. I was soaked in it. Letalone the Alien when it stalked you.

Just a shame it lasted a little too long imo, I started to build a tolerance.

Evilisk

I was just gonna say, are there any SNK or shmup bosses? From looking at other people's posts, it doesn't seem like there are. Can't be a particularly good list then

Okay so I read a little, and they have... Tabuu? Seriously?

uhGDsN0.png

Kaiser Knuckle's General laughs at your list.

I don't think I could take any list seriously if it didn't at least have this boss.

No Metal Slug?

Sol Dae Rokker is way worse than Rootmars in MS3.

>list of hardest bosses
>King Bohan @ 73 only?

The fuck.

Was he really that hard? I remember beating it in one go (it was a very, very long and tedious fight though)

Marcel

seemed as if the concept of the video-game boss was on its last legs

Boss battles weren't on their "last legs" because the writer only played the game du jour. This is like saying because I don't eat fast food that hamburgers aren't popular anymore. And the shoehorning in of Destiny for the clickbait element is always worth an eye-roll. Hard pass on this article based on its premise alone.

Mupod

Sol Dae Rokker is way worse than Rootmars in MS3.

You know, I had no idea what its actual name was, but I knew exactly what boss you were talking about because that guy is way harder than anything else in MS3. Practicing that boss a ton was the key to me finally 1CCing that game (well that and the bullshit ship escape section).

LeleSocho

Banned
hqdefault.jpg

YGO Forbidden Memories son
each one of these 6 guys alone is tough as balls. Metal Zoa, Meteor B Dragon, Blue Eyes Ultimate, FHD up the ass. And you have to beat all 6 of them to beat the game. back to back. without saving.

Oh yes this too, never played the game but i have witnessed how crazy they are, iirc each of these bosses knows the first 5-6 cards on top of the deck aside the ones in their hand that's how they are so overpowered.

Top Bottom