• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Masamune-kun no Revenge - Episode 1

I don't remember much from the 5 chapters i read over a year ago, other than that the maid that always follows the main girl around was my favorite character.

Liked the ED and the MC and his plan, even so it is obvious that he will fall in love with her and won't accomplish his goal.
Could be a fun watch.

I mean, I don't think it was ever even questioned that he was never going to go through with his plot, even assuming he had the ability to accomplish it.

I wasn't expecting Onihei to have some mindblowing action, it's just that it doesn't bode all that well for overall production values when you need to resort to stills even for PV.

PVs don't necessarily have the most impressive footage from a show, not that I expect Onihei to have especially strong production values. If the material and direction is solid and the art is consistently at least at the level shown here, it could very well be a worthwhile show.

DAYS | 1

I don't know about this one. Don't like the tone and art. It reminds me too much of Knight in the Area.

It seems like no football/soccer anime will ever really please me, which is weird since I played it for almost 10 years and love sports anime. Just need something a little more serious.

Bail out of Days now and try Ginga e Kickoff instead.

Wanderer5

liyLvQB.gif

Blue Exorcist OT is up for chatter before the Sat, premier:

Blue Exorcist (Season 2) anime/tv |OT| Satan was a family man and did nothing wrong!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=227726969#post227726969

Oh god that title. I still roll my eyes to this day regarding that.

phaze

PVs don't necessarily have the most impressive footage from a show, not that I expect Onihei to have especially strong production values. If the material and direction is solid and the art is consistently at least at the level shown here, it could very well be a worthwhile show.

(Somewhat related) PV cuts don't necessarily even make it into show proper, even if they are the most impressive footage of the show ! (still salty)

Yeah I finished Hyouka.

This is gonna be a backlog season for me since there's nothing that really interests me all that much so I'll make an effort to have Lie in April and Chihiyafuru finished by the season's end.

That and I need to finish Penguindrum for phaze.

Alright! I just hadn't heard anything in a while. Thought you might've forgotten. :p

Eh, didn't really enjoy Masamune ep 1. As much as I thought I would. The manga just seemed better paced I think. I'll have to see how it goes moving forward.

Quasar

Masamune-kun 1 - A tale as old as time. I hope that apparent twist at the end is true. Was alright, especially in a light season like this.

(Somewhat related) PV cuts don't necessarily even make it into show proper, even if they are the most impressive footage of the show ! (still salty)

That can happen if the PV is preanimated - in other words, if the producers ask the animation studio to put together a trailer before they actually begin work on the show proper. The animation from such a PV may end up not being used when they get around to making the actual footage in that case.

phaze

That's very unusual.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIYAuliiYBk

Outside of the part of second action cut, (woman emerging from the mist) I don't think any of those made it into show. Which was weird cause they ended up doing some scenes in a very similar way. Compare the TV bit with the same fight in PV. What we've got instead was still largely decent or even great, so it's mostly me splitting the hair but how this situation came about always perplexed me a bit. Changes in designs ?

That can happen if the PV is preanimated - in other words, if the producers ask the animation studio to put together a trailer before they actually begin work on the show proper. The animation from such a PV may end up not being used when they get around to making the actual footage in that case.

I guess that would explain it.

Jex

Someone translated an interesting interview with director Kiyotaka Oshiyama about his work on Flip Flappers. Hearing about how the concept for the anime was cobbled together with various elements from the animation studio producers, other hired writers and artists, and of course Oshiyama himself was very enlightening for me.
When you look at Flip Flappers its clearly a protect which reflects, almost too obviously, the manner in which it was created.
Told you it wasn't an auteur work!!!!!!!111111
It's weird though, because according to this interview, Oshiyama left his mark in every single episode. It's a work which is pervaded by Oshiyama's ideas - which is something we would expect out of an auteur work.

On the flip side, Oshiyama was clearly not precious with this series - in fact he was clearly keen for others to inject their own personal ideas into the project at almost every level, from writing to design to storyboarding. This laissez faire approach will, by it's nature, create a very disparate and uneven work - which is something we would not expect out of an auteur work.

I think the problems with Flip Flappers really speak to the kinds of things that Oshiyama was and was not interested in.

Oshiyama seems to care about:

- Exploring innovative, unique settings
- Broad themes
- Visual symbolism as storytelling
- Metaphor
- Papika

Ohsiyama doesn't seem to care about:

- Structure
- Form
- Plot or 'Traditional' story development
- Well rounded characters
- Dialogue
- Consistency

He states in the interview that he spent a lot of time on what I would consider the 'micro' level e.g. filling the show with visual symbolism and allusions to deeper ideas. However, he doesn't show that shame passion or care for shaping the macro level e.g. the overall vision for the show. As a result of this, the series lacks shape, and the audience and character just end up drifting from episode to episode without any real momentum until someone says "oh, better shove a story in at the end".

It certainly created a unique project.

Line_HTX

Can't lie, the character portraits for the Ordinal Scale movie look really cool and much better than ALO.

C1b7AU8UoAAQ21M.jpg

Badass Sinon bringing it again.

Cornbread78

Can't lie, the character portraits for the Ordinal Scale movie look really cool and much better than ALO.

C1b7AU8UoAAQ21M.jpg

Liz and Sinon are too close to call as #2 girls. Almost a tie, but I kinda prefer Sinon....

Is that Sugaha next to Yui? Why does she look so different?

Szadek

Masamune-kun no Revenge
That was an pretty alright first episode. I'm not sure how long they can keep this premise entertaining, but for now keep watching.
It's also helps that the show looks pretty,

March comes in like a lion - Ep. 11
While not as good as the las epsiode, it was still pretty decent.
Nice to see that the main character has a good time for once.

Busaiku

So are Funimation's simuldubs actual simuldubs now.
Though they're not doing the only show that I'm gonna watch this season.

Jex

I don't mean to ojousama-shame AnimeGAF, but it's almost like you're deliberately trying to ignore two of the greatest ojousamas.

Reika Ryūzaki a.k.a Ochōfujin from Aim for the Ace:

Fukiko Ichinomiya a.k.a Miya-sama from Brother Dear Brother

As you can see, great oujosama's share common traits like:

- Blonde Hair
- Curls
- Nicknames
- Piercing Eyes
- Inner turmoil
- A thirst for power

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't mean to ojousama-shame AnimeGAF, but it's almost like you're deliberately trying to ignore two of the greatest ojousamas.

Reika Ryūzaki a.k.a Ochōfujin) from Aim for the Ace:

Fukiko Ichinomiya a.k.a Miya-sama from Brother Dear Brother

As you can see, great oujosama's share common traits like:

- Blonde Hair
- Curls
- Nicknames
- Piercing Eyes
- Inner turmoil
- A thirst for power

Don't forget wealth and prestige.

Also dohohoohohohohohoho.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ohohohooohohohohohoho

Masamune-kun's Revenge 1
Yeah this is really questionable when you consider the context of school bullying.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm ready for the SAO movie. So hyped. Faster we can move along this shit the faster we get the next season. aka best season?

C1b7AU8UoAAQ21M.jpg

I really, really like these designs but the headsets microphones being so close to their eyes is annoying the crap out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom