• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

muu

ordered and shipped on same day. Love how (sometimes) incredibly responsive Play-Asia is.

Should be up and running early next week. Do I need to get any special configuration set up for the VPN to work? I believe I already have two NICs on my main box.

wrowa

ordered and shipped on same day. Love how (sometimes) incredibly responsive Play-Asia is.

Should be up and running early next week. Do I need to get any special configuration set up for the VPN to work? I believe I already have two NICs on my main box.

Is it confirmed to be working with VPN by now?

Aeana

I need to hear about both VPN and payment. Payment's another thing that has me worried. If they don't accept foreign cards, then the only other way to pay is via Wii points, but that means you'd need the JP shop on your machine, and to put that on a NA machine means deleting your NA shop account and losing access to your purchases.

muu

Is it confirmed to be working with VPN by now?

Someone on another site seems to have gotten it working, similar to the beta. I'll see in a few days, and if it doesn't work it's not the end of the world.

I need to hear about both VPN and payment. Payment's another thing that has me worried. If they don't accept foreign cards, then the only other way to pay is via Wii points, but that means you'd need the JP shop on your machine, and to put that on a NA machine means deleting your NA shop account and losing access to your purchases.

Doubt they'll accept foreign cards, may get lucky with AmEx, but...

I bought a JP Wii for Xenoblade last yr so I'm all set. If I need to enter an address somewhere I can always borrow my dad's since he still lives over there...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Someone on another site seems to have gotten it working, similar to the beta. I'll see in a few days, and if it doesn't work it's not the end of the world.

Doubt they'll accept foreign cards, may get lucky with AmEx, but...

I bought a JP Wii for Xenoblade last yr so I'm all set. If I need to enter an address somewhere I can always borrow my dad's since he still lives over there...

I would think that they do the usual BS of making you put in your address and what not for the CC. I didnt bother with mine, since figured thats the deal and I dont have a JP CC anyways. Man thats true about even using point cards alone will be a hassle if you need to can the US shop and replace it with the JP one... So cant like uninstall / reinstall sort of deal to get your US stuff back?

Forever

Banned
There are a couple people here trying to get it to work, if anyone succeeds please let me know so that we can write up a detailed guide on how to do it.

Parakeetman

Ill see about writing up those impressions. Am eating breakfast now currently. Though it will be more from the point of someone new to the game and having made his way to the hub town for the Ogres where you can catch a train to all the other areas.

Forever

Banned
Ill see about writing up those impressions. Am eating breakfast now currently. Though it will be more from the point of someone new to the game and having made his way to the hub town for the Ogres where you can catch a train to all the other areas.

Yeah don't rush yourself, better that you get around to it when you feel comfortable about making a call.

I'd just like to get a working solution up for the diehard importers.

Parakeetman

Yeah don't rush yourself, better that you get around to it when you feel comfortable about making a call.

I'd just like to get a working solution up for the diehard importers.

will do. In game am working on lving up and getting more cash so I can move around to the other continents. Its kinda expensive to be catching the train all over the place. 100G one way.

Fights have gotten a bit more interesting since am in an area now where am fighting multiple enemies at once constantly.

Need to do more supply runs for crafting mats now that I can make lv 14 weapons. Though am thinking I should have gone armor crafting... Since more pieces of armor to make vs weapons = more cash later on. My guess is the armor crafting guild would be in the hub town for the dwarves. I should try to make a run over there and check. Plus see if its possible to take on more than 1 job. Although thats not looking possible currently, seeing how the layout is set of your status which displays level, fame, and crafting lv.

urfe

Just dropped by Tsutaya out of curiosity for a few things.

DQX is very well stocked with a huge display. An even bigger display was given for the thick strategy guide. Beside the game display (with everything well stocked), there was a USB LAN (is that the right term) for people without wireless. Much better than that Nintendo WiFi accessory they used to have.

I'm really curious if the price will go down for this. There's no way I want to spend 6000 yen, but curiosity is getting the better of me. It feels so weird to not play a Dragon Quest game.

I'm really curious if the price will go down for this. There's no way I want to spend 6000 yen, but curiosity is getting the better of me. It feels so weird to not play a Dragon Quest game.

I'm in the same position. I don't doubt that DQX will sell well, but I wonder if maybe they shipped too many copies because most stores around here have tons of copies on the shelf.

Aeana

There's no doubt that they overshipped the game. Though I do wonder if that's a result of them actually expecting it to sell better or if they just wanted to have enough available just in case.

Parakeetman

With the ease of play and folks being able to recommend it to other friends I think this is a game thats going to sell more in the long run potentially. Since with the curious having a chance to play the game, the word of mouth will start to spread.

Overall Im enjoying it a lot more than FFXI since it doesnt feel like a second job. Plus being able to hire support characters makes it so you dont have to wait around for friends if you are the only one online.

Pretty good number of players playing this weekend. For 20 servers about 18 of them are in the "Crowded" status.

Servers are going down for about 2 hours. 5 something till 7 something.

putarorex

Played this for around 5 hours. Too early to say, but it seems alright. I went with a dwarf priest and finished the first big boss fight. Now I'm just grinding in zones nearby the dwarf city.

I am not sure if it is lag, but sometimes the command menu takes a real long time to pop up. How do you con mobs? I have no idea if I can beat a mob until I whack at it and wait to see how much it hits for.

Mandoric

Banned
Played this for around 5 hours. Too early to say, but it seems alright. I went with a dwarf priest and finished the first big boss fight. Now I'm just grinding in zones nearby the dwarf city.

I am not sure if it is lag, but sometimes the command menu takes a real long time to pop up. How do you con mobs? I have no idea if I can beat a mob until I whack at it and wait to see how much it hits for.

For some reason, I have the most hilarious mental images of 1-5 bridges rather than EP-DC-EM-T-VT-IT.

What's the data transfer like? I have access to a few machines in Japan but they've got ~realtime-sensitive~ network apps running on them and serious amounts of traffic would be bad news.

Parakeetman

You need to use the しらべる command in the menu. But at the same time be close enough to the monster for it to target it.

You should work on getting to the hub town since you will be able to do the quest at the tavern to hire player / npc characters to support you if you solo. Helps a lot. The command menus is due to your character speed. The faster your すばやさ is the faster the command menu will pop up so you can issue a command in battle. You can read Japanese right?

For some reason, I have the most hilarious mental images of 1-5 bridges rather than EP-DC-EM-T-VT-IT.
What's the data transfer like? I have access to a few machines in Japan but they've got ~realtime-sensitive~ network apps running on them and serious amounts of traffic would be bad news.

Its an mmo so yes there will be a lot of data transfer Id imagine.

putarorex

You need to use the しらべる command in the menu. But at the same time be close enough to the monster for it to target it.

You should work on getting to the hub town since you will be able to do the quest at the tavern to hire player / npc characters to support you if you solo. Helps a lot. The command menus is due to your character speed. The faster your すばやさ is the faster the command menu will pop up so you can issue a command in battle. You can read Japanese right?

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. Time to check if the servers are back up!

Gloam

Just finished the first part of the offline mode. I'm enjoying the game so far. The battles are quick and easy negotiate, there's some nice animations on the monsters too. I do think the game is a bit easy so far, haven't really felt threatened, even by the monsters that are blocking paths or enemies that are above my level.

I thought the story hit some good beats from what little I've seen of it, the characters are surprisingly emotive given the overall simplicity of the models. Are the servers still down for the online? I'm getting an error whenever I go to connect, not so sure if it's the VPN set up or something else.

StuBurns

Banned
Just finished the first part of the offline mode. I'm enjoying the game so far. The battles are quick and easy negotiate, there's some nice animations on the monsters too. I do think the game is a bit easy so far, haven't really felt threatened, even by the monsters that are blocking paths or enemies that are above my level.

I thought the story hit some good beats from what little I've seen of it, the characters are surprisingly emotive given the overall simplicity of the models. Are the servers still down for the online? I'm getting an error whenever I go to connect, not so sure if it's the VPN set up or something else.
You can play the game offline? I knew it was 'soloable', I didn't realize you could literally just play it offline, that's very cool. I'm guessing that means if it comes to the West, we also don't need to pay a subscription for it just play on our own?

Parakeetman

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. Time to check if the servers are back up!

Yep servers have been back up since 1900!

The servers have been down since 1700 - 1900 for maintenance. They are currently back up though.

You can play the game offline? I knew it was 'soloable', I didn't realize you could literally just play it offline, that's very cool. I'm guessing that means if it comes to the West, we also don't need to pay a subscription for it just play on our own?

No offline is not the same as the online mode. Its a continuation of the prologue. Different world also. I see it more as SQEX gave players something to do thats game related when servers are down.

StuBurns

Banned
No offline is not the same as the online mode. Its a continuation of the prologue. Different world also. I see it more as SQEX gave players something to do thats game related when servers are down.
Oh, makes sense. I think one of the big Western MMOs did that a couple of years ago, 'night time' was offline or something.

Parakeetman

For those playing and want to make $$$ with a crafting skill I highly suggest going into Armor crafting vs. Weapon crafting if you plan on doing the blacksmith skill.

Since there are more parts to an armor set than a single weapon. Though you will need more materials making a full set of armor, it will sell better than weapons for the most part.

Im going to the dwarf town now actually to check if I can get a 2nd job skill. Really do hope you can have at least 2.

Friggin crazy all 20 servers are "crowded" status. Goes to show that the game must have sold quite well.

putarorex

The game definitely seems grindy, but I kinda expected that given the franchise. I spent another couple hours killing caterpillers and slimes with a couple of people. Got my spear skill up so I'm doing decent damage now. I'm still only level 11. Fights go pretty fast with a group but I am not sure if leveling is any faster.

I forgot how friendly Japanese are in mmos. One guy was thanking me every single time I healed him, which was usually at least one time a fight.

Parakeetman

The game definitely seems grindy, but I kinda expected that given the franchise. I spent another couple hours killing caterpillers and slimes with a couple of people. Got my spear skill up so I'm doing decent damage now. I'm still only level 11. Fights go pretty fast with a group but I am not sure if leveling is any faster.

I forgot how friendly Japanese are in mmos. One guy was thanking me every single time I healed him, which was usually at least one time a fight.

It can be fast depending on what you fight. Its important to figure out whats a good ratio of time spent to exp gained. What race are you btw?

One thing for sure is once you get to the town with the tavern / complete the quest. When you go an register yourself to be up for rent (lol) when you log out there folks will pick you earning you a small bit of cash and exp while away. Since everyone needs priests.

---

Jesus its really crowded. Cant even log in. I had logged out by accident due to the fucking stupid standard question of continuing your journey after saving, then having selected no. Ok managed to get back in but man its crazy crowded all servers still.

Gloam

So, I finally got into the online mode. For anyone that's wondering my set up is as follows: Japanese Wii, Macbook with an ethernet cable plugged in. The Mac is running OpenVPN's software with PPTP mode enabled, the connection is then shared through Airport and the Wii connects to that connection. Latency wise it's pretty noticeable, everything is a little sluggish, but not to the point that it feels annoying. For Windows users you can do the same thing by using a program such mHotspot, bridge the wi-fi connection with your ethernet and it should work no problem.

Jesus its really crowded. Cant even log in. I had logged out by accident due to the fucking stupid standard question of continuing your journey after saving, then having selected no. Ok managed to get back in but man its crazy crowded all servers still.

I was having some issues also, I just hammered the X button until it connected. The sweet science.

farnham

Banned
For those playing and want to make $$$ with a crafting skill I highly suggest going into Armor crafting vs. Weapon crafting if you plan on doing the blacksmith skill.

Since there are more parts to an armor set than a single weapon. Though you will need more materials making a full set of armor, it will sell better than weapons for the most part.

Im going to the dwarf town now actually to check if I can get a 2nd job skill. Really do hope you can have at least 2.

Friggin crazy all 20 servers are "crowded" status. Goes to show that the game must have sold quite well.

really hope so

if this game bombs in japan we will never see the wiiu version in the west

TrPvM.jpg

http://hiroba.dqx.jp/sc/serverstatus/ (From Live Camera)

This screenshot looks great and... real time shadows?

Forever

Banned
So, I finally got into the online mode. For anyone that's wondering my set up is as follows: Japanese Wii, Macbook with an ethernet cable plugged in. The Mac is running OpenVPN's software with PPTP mode enabled, the connection is then shared through Airport and the Wii connects to that connection. Latency wise it's pretty noticeable, everything is a little sluggish, but not to the point that it feels annoying. For Windows users you can do the same thing by using a program such mHotspot, bridge the wi-fi connection with your ethernet and it should work no problem.

Awesome, thanks for sharing the good news! How did you handle payment? Were you able to use a North American credit card? Also, which importer did you use? I understand that a lot of the regular services have been cancelling foreign orders.

I added all the new players to the OP list, and updated it with an import section based on Gloam's experience.

Gloam

Awesome, thanks for sharing the good news! How did you handle payment? Were you able to use a North American credit card? Also, which importer did you use? I understand that a lot of the regular services have been cancelling foreign orders.

I paid using Wii Points which I bought using a Mastercard, you don't need to input an address on the Wii Shop, and there was no problem with the payment method. Not so sure if it'd be the same for North America (I live in Ireland), I got the game from Play-Asia, a few other people that I know of have got it there also.

Forever

Banned
I paid using Wii Points which I bought using a Mastercard, you don't need to input an address on the Wii Shop, and there was no problem with the payment method. Not so sure if it'd be the same for North America (I live in Ireland), I got the game from Play-Asia, a few other people that I know of have got it there also.

Thanks! Adding it to the OP.

Hm, though that doesn't seem to address Aeana's concern since you're operating on a Japanese Wii, presumably with a Japanese eShop.

Gloam

Hm, though that doesn't seem to address Aeana's concern since you're operating on a Japanese Wii, presumably with a Japanese eShop.

Oh, that's right. There may be hooks within the game itself, as one of the menu options is 'Buy a Play Ticket' or something that effect. The account creation stuff seemed pretty lightweight, they didn't want addresses or anything like that, so maybe the only check is for the IP address. I'll ask a couple of other people who're playing.

Aeana

Oh, that's right. There may be hooks within the game itself, as one of the menu options is 'Buy a Play Ticket' or something that effect. The account creation stuff seemed pretty lightweight, they didn't want addresses or anything like that, so maybe the only check is for the IP address. I'll ask a couple of other people who're playing.

Does that option open the Wii Shop channel, or how does it work? If I can get that last bit cleared up then I will jump right in.

Espresso

Banned
I have a few questions.

What VPN service are you guys using?

What kind of USB drive does the game require (flash only?)? I'd like to import the game itself since it's $40 cheaper, and I have several terabyte USB drives just lying around.

How easy is it to get around the game's interface without knowing a lick of Japanese? The only other game I've ever imported was PSO v.2.

Gloam

Does that option open the Wii Shop channel, or how does it work? If I can get that last bit cleared up then I will jump right in.

Just did some poking around in the payment menus. The first option allows you to pay with Wii points in increments of points roughly 1000, 2000, 3000 (30, 60, 90 days) seemingly it reads from your Shop account as it knew how many points I had in my account. The second option allowed me to enter a Square Enix ID, I assume this was to do with credit card payment, as I only set up a 'Quick' account during registration I couldn't access this section.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance to you.

What VPN service are you guys using?

How easy is it to get around the game's interface without knowing a lick of Japanese? The only other game I've ever imported was PSO v.2.

Overplay.

I'm finding it relatively easy, as the menu set up is similar to any other Dragon Quest game, there are some complicated aspects, but generally the game is very easy to play and comprehend: talking, joining a party, typing are all very easy to do.

Aeana

Just did some poking around in the payment menus. The first option allows you to pay with Wii points in increments of points roughly 1000, 2000, 3000 (30, 60, 90 days) seemingly it reads from your Shop account as it knew how many points I had in my account. The second option allowed me to enter a Square Enix ID, I assume this was to do with credit card payment, as I only set up a 'Quick' account during registration I couldn't access this section.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance to you.
What was the name of that second option? A photo would be fine if you can't type it.

Parakeetman

Are Weddies supposed to be Fish People/Gyo-jins?

Yes they are. The giant fin on their back should be the dead give away along with the "ears" lol
Thats their main hub town for where the train connects to. (Also I wouldnt believe the SS to be the 100% truth with what the game looks like. But it does look good when you use the component cables, but I would say its that sharp, unless its one of the in game cutscenes.)

I was having some issues also, I just hammered the X button until it connected. The sweet science.
Yeah SQEX announced that there were some server problems including login issues which have been addressed. Its going into maintenance from 4 am till 5 or 6 am I think. Also due to the congestion with the servers the in game chat was getting messed up. Esp the "group" chat was not working. They had managed to bring the normal chat back onto functional status, then finally fixed the group chat. Within a few hours. They suggested people to log out then back in to fix it.

Seems like SQEX is really pouring a lot of resources into the tech support side with how they are fixing things in real time and doing maintenance. Good to see it. Plus the system messages communicating with the players are also good to see / easy to read as its in large red text at the top of the screen that scrolls by after an announcement chime plays.

Awesome is today I went and plugged in my wireless Logitech keyboard which worked like a charm. Beats having cords all over the place.

---

One thing I will say though is that I dont suggest playing this game unless you can read Japanese. Since if not you will get stuck with the quests.

Aeana

Okay, Gloam sent me a PM with a bunch of screenshots from the 利用券を購入する (buy play ticket) menu option. I also went snooping around on the official site, and there's some additional info. It looks like you can enter credit card details right in the game, and it'll even let you register it for automatic payment. I think that should end up working out fine. I put my order in, but it won't ship for a day and a half. I got the fastest shipping, so hopefully it won't take too long. Looking forward to it now. And hopefully I'll be able to help those who don't understand Japanese get through stuff too, once I do.

Gloam

Okay, Gloam sent me a PM with a bunch of screenshots from the 利用券を購入する (buy play ticket) menu option. I also went snooping around on the official site, and there's some additional info. It looks like you can enter credit card details right in the game, and it'll even let you register it for automatic payment. I think that should end up working out fine. I put my order in, but it won't ship for a day and a half. I got the fastest shipping, so hopefully it won't take too long. Looking forward to it now. And hopefully I'll be able to help those who don't understand Japanese get through stuff too, once I do.

Great news! Quite a few people playing now!

Gambit

It's like the game has only now been officially released. It's no DQ when Aeana isn't playing it

Forever

Banned
Muu mentioned that he was importing as well, so when he gets set up that should make 7 GAF players so far. Does anyone want to coordinate playing on the same server or whatever?

Gloam

Muu mentioned that he was importing as well, so when he gets set up that should make 7 GAF players so far. Does anyone want to coordinate playing on the same server or whatever?

You can switch servers whenever you like. So, I suppose it's more about seeing where people are playing on a day-to-day basis?

Espresso

Banned
I'm going to bite the bullet and import, too. I wish I had concrete info on what type of USB drive Square requires, though, because there's a set on Play Asia that includes a 16GB USB flash drive. Google search turns up nothing.

Does anybody want to split the cost of a VPN, or is it best for everybody to have their own?

Edit: Do I have to download the Japanese shop to my Wii?

Top Bottom