• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Season Pass Announced

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Borderlands DLC is rather generous in terms of additional content (with the exception of Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot, which is absolutely horrible in all respects -- completely half-hearted and phoned in), but padding the length across the board (excluding MMUR, since it's just arena battles) by not adding any fast travel stations was a terrible idea. (This isn't too much an issue with Dr. Ned and Claptrap since the areas range from small to moderate in size, but the same can't be said for General Knoxx.) Suffice it to say that I'll be waiting to see if Borderlands 2 has fared better.

BigDug13

The Borderlands DLC is rather generous in terms of additional content (with the exception of Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot, which is absolutely horrible in all respects -- completely half-hearted and phoned in), but padding the length across the board (excluding MMUR, since it's just arena battles) by not adding any fast travel stations was a terrible idea. (This isn't too much an issue with Dr. Ned and Claptrap since the areas range from small to moderate in size, but the same can't be said for General Knoxx.) Suffice it to say that I'll be waiting to see if Borderlands 2 has fared better.

They were hamstringed by their own shortsightedness. they had no idea that the game would sell well enough to even justify DLC so they didn't even have hooks in the game to allow the addition of DLC, they had to patch that in. I'm thinking the lack of quick travel/New-U stations in the expansions has to do with that.

I wouldn't worry about that this time, as they know they've got a mega hit on their hands, and they've added all the hooks needed for DLC zones as well as new class content.

JaseC

They were hamstringed by their own shortsightedness. they had no idea that the game would sell well enough to even justify DLC so they didn't even have hooks in the game to allow the addition of DLC, they had to patch that in. I'm thinking the lack of quick travel/New-U stations in the expansions has to do with that.

I doubt it. Since the DLC locations each have a single fast travel point (the one that allows you to travel there at all), I imagine that the only reason any additional fast travel points were not added is so that players could easily remember which new location pertained to which particular piece of DLC (Jakob's Cove = Dr. Ned, The Underdome = MMUR, etc.). While I understand this approach, the fast travel UI could have been updated a little to put the DLC locations under their respective headers.

Edit: And the reasoning that the game "didn't even have hooks" for the DLC smells like crap to me; Dr. Ned released a month after the game proper. Factor in console certification periods and you're looking at a submission to the platform holders a few weeks after Borderlands itself released. There is no way it wasn't planned.

Xanathus

Every single season pass or lifetime MMO subscription has completely fucked over the people who bought it so no, I'm not falling for it. If they're asking $30 for it then it probably means those DLCs are worth $20 at most in reality (read: Steam sale) by the time all of them are out.

mclem

Goddammit. I have this thing where I refuse to buy games with season passes at launch. Because even when the DLC is all worthwhile (and it almost never is) season passes are still an awful practice.

...but I already picked up the 4-pack at a discount.
Surely if season passes are an awful practice, you just... don't buy the season pass?

Every single season pass or lifetime MMO subscription has completely fucked over the people who bought it so no, I'm not falling for it. If they're asking $30 for it then it probably means those DLCs are worth $20 at most in reality (read: Steam sale) by the time all of them are out.
Well, worth's subjective, and I'd hazard a guess that the people who'd buy season passes are the people who *would* find them worth the asking price. Everything deprecates over time, so you'll be able to buy things at a price they're worth to you in due course.

Ban Puncher

I've only ever bought two season passes - Gears of War 3 and Saints Row 3. GoW3 worked out well in the end and I saved money. SR3 season pass sucked all kinds of suck and it didn't turn out to be financially beneficial ultimately.

I played the original Borderlands to death and then some and bought all of the DLC, and 3 out of 4 of them were great. Mad Moxxi was the one that felt kinda shitty. If I like BL2 I'll probably throw down for a season pass when the first DLC pack comes out and seems to be worth investing in the rest.

Season Passes when done right and give buyers exclusive material to give a sense of value or an overall discount on the bulk buy are good. When they offer no saving and the content given out is complete arse, that's when I grab my torch and pitchfork.

bjaelke

Wouldn't mind if 1-2 of those DLC packs included new playable characters. Pitchfork wouldn't deny the possibility of future character releases (after Mechromancer).

Dunno if you guys saw this thread about that hour long B2 co-op session/talk with Randy Pitchford but near the end of the video he talks a little about the future DLC and how it's a possibility(and one that he hopes to be able to do) that they'll add another character as DLC. He kind of ties that into a pitch about pre-ordering, but his reasons seem logical from a financial standpoint - if people pre-order or buy the mechromancer pack post launch and it's successful then they'll be more inclined to create more DLC characters. Either way this will probably be my first(and only) season pass I buy.

harrytang

dont think this is posted so....

From Community Manager Chris F at Gearbox Forums -

After the release of the game, four brand new add-on campaigns for Borderlands 2 are coming your way, featuring new areas to explore, new adventures to undertake, new enemies to overcome and more. Priced individually at 800 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360 and $9.99 on PC and PlayStation 3, these four campaign add-ons are scheduled to hit by June 2013 with more details to come in the future.

Soon we'll be offering a "Season Pass" bundle that includes all four campaign add-on packs for 2400 Microsoft Points on Xbox 360 and $29.99 on PC and PlayStation Network -- a savings of 25% over buying each campaign add-on individually. The Borderlands 2 Season Pass will be available through Steam, PlayStation Network and Xbox Live and will also be available at GameStop.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?p=2700579#post2700579

Season pass sucks balls. No thanks. Will wait for GoTY edition.

I like Season Pass announcements cause they basically confirm a GOTY/ GOLD edition down the road.

GOLD editions usually cost less than vanilla version at launch too!

So with the announcement Gearbox loses instantly: $59.99 for the new game + $40 for the DLCs planned because I will now wait till GOLD edition for $49.99.

You will get $50 instead of $100 from me now, Gearbox.

Good jon, Pitchford.

FtHTiny

Will wait and see how the game turns out to be.
Was pumped as hell for darksiders but decided to not preorder with the season pass but take a cheaper route.
And after playing it it´s not really a necessary dlc to have for me.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pass. The expansions were pretty hit or miss for me. Ned - okish, Moxxie - nope, Knoxx - Yes, but less vehicles please.
I'll buy when it's proven good extra content and not just more.

x-Lundz-x

Already have this pre-ordered. But I do not like the concept of season passes on the whole. I love Borderlands, and this is going to be a great game for me and my buddies to play for a few months until we beat it. But I can wait a year for the GOTY edition like others have said and play all the DLC at once.

How about finishing all four dlcs and releasing them as one expansion for $30, and you can pre-purchase for $20? Not that I would buy it anyway.

Derrick01

Banned
Uh what? The DLC for borderlands was pretty weak.

And I'll just say it: the drops still sucked!

Agreed. Very repetitive DLC that didn't solve any of the main game's problems. Killing that optional super hard boss in secret armory, and then raiding the armory itself, only to get nothing but shit weapons almost made me get rid of the game.

Double D

I'll buy Borderlands 2 on steam. If its anything like the first game I'll have had my fill once I'm done with everything that has to offer. Then I'll buy all the dlc at once for like $10-15 on steam.

JaseC

Just curious, what's the kerfuffle about the Naughty Dog season pass? Did the DLC just suck?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483563

Maybe Jett can chime in again since I forgot most of what he made the thread about, but I think a lot of it was stupid character skins and rehash maps. And then I think they charged for some actual DLC later on because by then the limits for what the season pass would cover had been met already by those shitty throwaway things.

He's banned at the moment.

Derrick01

Banned
Just curious, what's the kerfuffle about the Naughty Dog season pass? Did the DLC just suck?

Maybe Jett can chime in again since I forgot most of what he made the thread about, but I think a lot of it was stupid character skins and rehash maps. And then I think they charged for some actual DLC later on because by then the limits for what the season pass would cover had been met already by those shitty throwaway things.

On the one hand, season passes have a tendency to be a bit duff, and I'm on PC so the DLC will probably get discounted by 66-75% when they're all released. On the other hand, Borderlands has a decent record with DLC and I'm getting the base game for £8, so assuming they sell the Season Pass for £20 I'll be effectively getting the GotY edition from day one for less than the RRP of the base game. I do like that maths.

H3xum

I really want this but I don't want one of the DLC packs to be skins for characters/weapons/vehicles

Also - Kind of bummed out this isn't going to include the gamestop preorder.

tw1164

After Saints Row the Third, I'm not buying season passes ever again. No matter how good the game is, the DLC can still disappoint, and buying it all without knowing isn't worth the risk.

I'm in the same boat. I bought all the Borderlands DLC, but there's no way I'll prepay for DLC. I learned my lesson with Saints Row 3.

Raxus

Bad checkpoints, no XP, boring and repetitive. The price wasn't worth the bank space. It was the worst of the set and the only Borderlands DLC I won't finish.

Basically this. It is a glorified bank DLC since the content gets old fast and it is boring to get through since each arena is basically a time sink more than a challenge.

Raxus

I'm in the same boat. I bought all the Borderlands DLC, but there's no way I'll prepay for DLC. I learned my lesson with Saints Row 3.

LOL I googled this and saw they actually cancelled a DLC for ANOTHER GAME. I am surprised I never caught the righteous fury of GAF over this.

Lothars

No they haven't, Blanket Statements like this really undermine your point, I've bought something like 5 season passes and the only one I was really dissapointed in was the Saints Row 3.

The other 4 games all were worthwhile and saved me money.

JaseC

Basically this. It is a glorified bank DLC since the content gets old fast and it is boring to get through since each arena is basically a time sink more than a challenge.

I did the first three arenas, but let out a verbal "Fuck this shit." when the other three arenas were revealed to have 20 rounds -- that would translate to at least 2~2.5 hours each.

topplehat

Has there ever been an instance where a Season Pass was worth it? Especially on PC, where the DLC will be discounted heavily within a year or so.

I've been really cautious of Season Passes. Seems like a lot of the time they screw you over and make the first couple of DLC's crap.

Hindle

Banned
They should detail each of the Dlc if they expect people to buy a season pass. There is no way I'm going in blind with things like this.

Seanspeed

Banned
Has there ever been an instance where a Season Pass was worth it? Especially on PC, where the DLC will be discounted heavily within a year or so.
Value is determined individually. I was happy with the season pass for Forza 4 and if I had more money at the time, I'd have gotten Battlefield 3's season pass. Its basically an option for the more hardcore fans that know they'll be dying for every bit of extra content they can get. Obviously if you're not this sort of person, you should be more wary and maybe just buy individual DLC's that you like if any at all.

Top Bottom