• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Wii Proto/Concept Screenshots

Cant0na said:
People fap over this game too much

Loved the first couple of levels OPEN ROOFTOPS were amazing........... and then the Game became a pain during those terrible sewers and corridors and made me hate it by the time it was over.

Such a wonderful concept, terrible executions.

Did you try the DLC at all? I know it sucks paying $9 more for it, but the maps are totally worth it. No getting shot, just free run your way through some gorgeous designed levels.

I AM JOHN! said:
Nothing wrong with the PS3 version itself; in fact, I'm pretty sure it's the best version. I just straight up hated the game.

Oh okay. I thought for a minute that there was something I was missing just by playing the PS3 version. It was one of my favorite games last year bar the last level. But I can see where you're coming from, my brother hated playing it as well.

Veal

I think Mirror's Edge could work pretty well on the Wii actually. You would need the nunchuck naturally, but:

C: Up action
Z: Down action
B: Fire
A: Disarm/Use
"-": Reaction
"+": Waypoint
Nunchuck shake: 180 spin
1: Pause
2: Objectives screen

With the added pointer functionality, a Wii version could play wonderfully with minimal waggle. It could be pretty close the PC version if handled correctly.

Cant0na

Banned
thebaroness said:
Did you try the DLC at all? I know it sucks paying $9 more for it, but the maps are totally worth it. No getting shot, just free run your way through some gorgeous designed levels.

it was a rental, so no..... i liked some of the time trials though

I was extremely excited for the game, but hated it the most way through except for a few shining spots, and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Was really, really disappointed. I wanted so bad to like it.

miksar

They'd have to design a completely new game for Wii. I doubt ME would benefit from pointer/motion controls in any way, m+ or not; saleswise it might have been a reasonable investment though a bit risky.

And I never really understood all complaints about how the game controls. It took a while to get used to, but after I'd finished ME acrobatics in other games just didn't feel right anymore.

I AM JOHN! said:
Yeah, too bad that even if you weren't going for it, the combat was beyond awful. :|

I just couldn't imagine playing it on anything but the Dualshock. The game feels like it was designed specifically for that bad boy (and yes I know you can probably play the PC version with the Dualshock hooked up through USB).

And tell me something I don't know. :p

Then you really should try the PC version, controls are a huge improvement.

I AM JOHN! said:
Nothing wrong with the PS3 version itself; in fact, I'm pretty sure it's the best version. I just straight up hated the game.

I played both, and found the PS3 version look the best. I for one loved the game though. The whole rhythm aspect you had to have felt so rewarding. I always compared it to the old Rainbow Studios motocross games. Cant wait for a sequel.

Take the god awful generic fps movement out, smooth the animations, and tighten up the controls. It needs to have a better connection with the environment, as the first ME didnt always seem to match up visually with what you were executing. It was a decent shot at a true first person game, but others before it have done it to better effect. Id love to see a more polished(much more) wii version with well thought out motion controls.

Kevtones

I'd be all for this. I wouldn't go as far as to say ME was the GOTY 2008, but fuck if it's not an awesome ride with unique mechanics and shit-stoppingly beautiful aesthetic.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Absolutely loved the original, but I'm glad it never came to fruition on the Wii. The visuals greatly enhanced th experience and that would have been lost on the Wii.

RefigeKru

Banned
I loved Mirror's Edge. Shame about the story and the cutscenes though, should have played out more Half Life 2 style -- moving from checkpoint to checkpoint seamlessly while interacting with other characters in realtime. So awesome.

That 3rd person perspective video is :lol :lol

AniHawk

dark10x said:
Absolutely loved the original, but I'm glad it never came to fruition on the Wii. The visuals greatly enhanced th experience and that would have been lost on the Wii.

cel-shade + 32-40 of the abstract time trial levels at $50 and it's instabuy.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
dark10x said:

Agreed on both points. I played the PC version at 1920x1200 with everything maxed and...wow. A Wii port would be sacrilege. I suppose I could MAYBE see the potential benefit afforded by being able to quickly look around with the Wiimote but you'd have to sacrifice so much else that it really wouldn't be worth it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Minotauro said:
Agreed on both points. I played the PC version at 1920x1200 with everything maxed and...wow. A Wii port would be sacrilege. I suppose I could MAYBE see the potential benefit afforded by being able to quickly look around with the Wiimote but you'd have to sacrifice so much else that it really wouldn't be worth it.
You CAN'T really look around quickly with the Wii-mote, though. Even an analog stick is faster. Using a small bounding box helps, but not enough to make a difference.

Lucius86

Banned
Mirror's Edge was awesome, but I would rather have a ME2 with less combat, and more orientated to stealth and evasion (last few missions I am looking at you).

But I guess its good news for the wii crowd, I think the balance board and the motion controls would go pretty well with this!!!

Oli

Hopefully if this is true, the project still exists and hasn't been scrapped. Honestly, I'd much rather see a Wii version of ME than Dead Space.

Grecco

Cant0na said:
People fap over this game too much

Loved the first couple of levels OPEN ROOFTOPS were amazing........... and then the Game became a pain during those terrible sewers and corridors and made me hate it by the time it was over.

Such a wonderful concept, terrible executions.

Except of course the later levels including the fantastic subway section (Running from train to train is amazing) and then the best level in the game the atrium going up the building. Some of the experiences after that sewer level are incredible.

Mdk7

I loved the original, i want moar.
A Wii spin off could be cool, but a true HD sequel is what i want. Go Dice go! :D

i too am glad that less people are able to play a great game

now if you'll excuse me i have to go crush some kittens and eat a baby

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Would it be possible to use the nunchuck and wiimote and mimmick a running motion, then press a button to jump or slide?
I mean...yeah, you could...but it wouldnt work out so well as far as functionality is concerned(if it were attached to the standard ME we know). The game would need a complete overhaul to really make such a feature truly "good".

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
dark10x said:
You CAN'T really look around quickly with the Wii-mote, though. Even an analog stick is faster. Using a small bounding box helps, but not enough to make a difference.

Yeah, you're right now that I think of it. I was imagining of a situation where you would just want to glance down at your feet to judge how close you are to the edge of a building but that would still necessitate pushing the whole camera through some sort of bounding box. It's been so long since I've played a first person game on the Wii. The last attempt I made was with Metroid and I remember that being a loathsome experience. I take back what I said...a Wii iteration would be utterly pointless.

Blizzard

Banned
Sadist said:
Looking at those two concepts, I'd like an 2D version of ME. Would have worked well.
There's a very impressive, 2D version of Mirror's Edge done in Flash. I don't have a link on me now, but a search for "Mirror's Edge 2D" online should find it. :)

Xabora

AniHawk said:
I think it's really weird DICE decided to animate her hair, considering you never see it in-game.
Thats an unreal engine cloth simulator.
They most likely just attached the hair bones to the cloth sim and never detached it.

Ardorx

Banned
stuburns said:
Would they have ported UE3? There was a rumor a publisher was going to port UE3 themselves because Epic don't want to.

That would be a stupid idea. What would be the point of that?

Amir0x

Banned
I love Mirror's Edge so much that even if they just ported it with like twenty new abstract stages I'd buy it on Wii.

It obviously wouldn't be near as good as the PS360/PC versions, but I'll take any Mirror's Edge I can get :(

I'd love to see a ME game that uses the movement and gameplay of the original but with the objective being surviving in a city destroyed by an earthquake

playing with different characters that move differently and start from different points of the city

jrricky

Banned
dark10x said:
I hated Mirrors Edge, but posts like this dont make sense at all.

Why would you be glad it never came to fruition on the Wii when you dont know how it would look since all this post was about was graphics? Of all the games that wouldnt 'work' (LOL LBP) on Wii, this isnt one of them. What do you care anyway, would you have bought it?:lol

UT66

Banned
nonsense. the wii could do it. That is, with and honest good effort (devs). So its not going to happen. :lol btw, portal > my game of the forever. This? PhysX® and all the bling in the world pushed to the max®... and I couldn't get pass the tutorial. Next gen > :lol

PSGames

EA really dropped the ball here. The Wii has the perfect demographics for this style game. They should have ported this instead of Dead Space.

Amir0x

Banned
PSGames said:
EA really dropped the ball here. The Wii has the perfect demographics for this style game. They should have ported this instead of Dead Space.

this style of game being what exactly? first person platformers with shooting elements?

I didn't even think we knew the demographics of such a genre!

Haunted

The PhysX stuff was so fucking awesome, I have no real desire to play a Mirror's Edge game without it.

/PC snob

Top Bottom