• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron's TITANIC |OT| Collide With Destiny

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
No joke costumers in a Star Trek uniform or Docotr Who costume?

cqUCxl.jpg

Least Abe Lincoln showed up.

iirate

Saw this a few nights ago with friends for the first time in around 14 years. I thought some of the writing was pretty damn cheesy, but the movie is extremely well shot, and and the atmosphere during the sinking is crazy good. I cried three times in the last hour or so of the movie. This is definitely my favorite movie of Cameron's.

As an aside, I do wonder if all 3D is this terrible. I had never seen a movie in 3D, and I know that post-converted films don't look as good, but a movie shot in 3D would have to look a hell of a lot better than this to make me excited to see something in 3D again. For every shot that looked good/great in 3D, there were a ton more that looked bad or were outright ruined by it.

Saw this a few nights ago with friends for the first time in around 14 years. I thought some of the writing was pretty damn cheesy, but the movie is extremely well shot, and and the atmosphere during the sinking is crazy good. I cried three times in the last hour or so of the movie. This is definitely my favorite movie of Cameron's.

As an aside, I do wonder if all 3D is this terrible. I had never seen a movie in 3D, and I know that post-converted films don't look as good, but a movie shot in 3D would have to look a hell of a lot better than this to make me excited to see something in 3D again. For every shot that looked good/great in 3D, there were a ton more that looked bad or were outright ruined by it.

You still haven't seen a movie in 3D. Converted 3D isn't 3D. Go see Hugo in 3D.

GhaleonEB

You still haven't seen a movie in 3D. Converted 3D isn't 3D. Go see Hugo in 3D.

Is Hugo still in theaters? I caught it on second run, after it hit home release, but that was over a month ago. The 3D was superb.

Titanic was very well done, I thought, but for most of the film you could tell it wasn't native. There really is a very big gap between state of the art conversion and state of the art native. It's a bit depressing really, because I think we're in for a lot more of these conversions, and none will be as good as Titanic was.

Titanic just confirmed to me that I will never pay to see a converted 3D movie ever again. I've seen the best conversion has to offer and it isn't good enough.

Gravity will be a 2D only movie for me.

I don't know what you guys are seeing, but the 3D seemed on par with TF3, Avatar and Hugo for me.

I wish I had a 3D TV so I could compare.

GhaleonEB

While not on par with the best 3D I've seen - Avatar and Hugo - I found the 3D was still enjoyable and did add to the film for me, throughout. It sold me that conversions done right can still be worthwhile. But I'm not expecting conversions to be done this way; 60 weeks and $18m invested with the original director going through every frame. So I'm going to be very dubious as other conversions as they come.

Ashhong

Saw this on Saturday night after waiting for what seems like years for this to hit again.

Amazing film. You guys are way too picky. There is literally not one line or scene that I would take out of this. Does that mean every scene is perfect? No. But they have their place and none are so bad that I would change it. The scale and directing of the second half is so goddamn incredible, blows my mind.

All of the complaints are a nonissue for me. Cheesy dialogue, poor CGI, 3D problems, ghosting? I don't know how you even notice things like ghosting, I can't see any of that shit. Lucky me I guess. Damn I love this movie.

There was this stupid bitch sitting in front of me though checking her damn Facebook. She wasn't even checking notifications, she was fucking scrolling down her wall to see what her friends were doing. GET THE FUCK OUT. I did notice that her password to get into her phone was like 12 characters long. I thought that was pretty funny.

That only works on innocent looking photos in order to turn them on their head into something perverse. This already looks uncomfortable for Kate.

3D is completely unnecessary for my enjoyment of a movie. It doesn't add nothing to me.
Yeah, me either; and this is despite seeing Hugo, TF3, and Avatar in 3D.

I'd rather the movie/theater industry focus on IMAX (no lie max bullshit) sized screens, now that adds to the experience a lot. It's so visceral.

That only works on innocent looking photos in order to turn them on their head into something perverse. This already looks uncomfortable for Kate.

Tough room.

Anyway, back to the film, which is still fresh in my mind from a few days ago - I think the most powerful sequence is Rose venturing into the bowels of the ship to rescue Jack. The ship groaning, the lights flickering and the waters rising all as Rose pushes farther into danger. It obviously evokes Ripley going into the nest for Newt in Aliens which is, for me, the emotional high point of that film.

3D is completely unnecessary for my enjoyment of a movie. It doesn't add nothing to me.

It's an enhancement rather than a necessity, and sometimes a distraction. I was interested to see how the 3D would work in Titanic. It had its moments and was technically impressive but I think I will enjoy watching the 2D Blu Ray on my home setup more. IMAX isn't an option for me unless I'm prepared to drive 2 hours each way. Maybe for Avatar 2.

I have to say, seeing this in theaters again was an awesome experience, I am happy this saw a re-release. Also, for post converted 3D I was really impressed, definitely the best I have seen.

Solo

T2 > Aliens > T1 > Avatar > Titanic > The Abyss > True Lies

It's been YEARS since I've seen The Abyss though, so I may need to revisit that one before giving a solid ranking.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

It's been YEARS since I've seen The Abyss though, so I may need to revisit that one before giving a solid ranking.

Avatar is my least favorite Cameron film.

Solo

I've got nothing but love for it. I know, and do not refute, all the criticisms of it. But I don't care, it's a complete triumph for me.

Dead

well not really...yet

True Lies is his weakest film, despite that its one of the best action/comedies of all time, if not the best.

Solo

Yeah, I don't mean his "worst" to mean "bad". It's worth it for Paxton alone. Plus, he blew up a REAL FUCKING BRIDGE. Nolan fans cream themselves over Nolan blowing up empty buildings, but that's nothing compared to that bridge sequence.

Yeah, me either; and this is despite seeing Hugo, TF3, and Avatar in 3D.

I'd rather the movie/theater industry focus on IMAX (no lie max bullshit) sized screens, now that adds to the experience a lot. It's so visceral.
Having worked at a theater for quite sometime, I can tell you two reasons why this isn't going to happen anytime soon.

1. It's very expensive to remodel theaters to fit IMAX screens (and get the equipment to play the films). Also during this time, the theater won't be able to MAKE as much money while the theater is being remodeled (less screens = less shows).

2. The rarity of IMAX screens let's people feel more comfortable dropping ridiculous prices (17.50 at my theater for IMAX 3D) for a 'special occasion'.
Or if someone is trying to impress their girlfriend/family, they usually spring for the 'IMAX experience'.

I'll be more for IMAX once they get those laser projectors up and running in IMAX-sized digital. Enough of this bullshit 2h46m runtime caps and ghosting in 3D.

Geeker

wow, i saw it in imax today for the first time since pretty much in the theaters when i was 12.

Insanly powerful movie! I was so emotionally moved and the scenes you guys have been talking about are so incredibly powerful, my god.

I also really appreciated all the class nuances and be yourself theme that i didnt notice when i was a kid. But holy hell, when titanic hits the iceberg it is a movie that hits you like an iceberg until it is finished (with the best ending ever)

One complaint though, Kate Winslet should be 21 again! God almighty how hot and sexy

skybaby

Saw it on liemax this weekend. The 3d did it's job, way better other conversions. I get no ghosting on imax 3d and lots on reald so it was good for me.
The best part was the new audio mix though specially when rose climbs down the decks and the ship starts creaking non stop. The metallic sounds are so haunting. Amazing atmosphere.

Jb

I also really appreciated all the class nuances and be yourself theme that i didnt notice when i was a kid. y

I don't know that there's anything nuanced about the class warfare as portrayed in Titanic.
Saw it a few hours ago. Worst audience I've ever seen a movie with. God damn teen girls can be annoying as fuck, I had to kick the seat in front of me for two of them to stop chatting and checking their BB. Movie wals alright, even though the 3D didn't add anything to the experience. I also found it very hard to care about Di Caprio's fate, though I'm not sure why.

LOL. You can't trust box office mojo on the rerelease numbers I've found. I have no idea what the fuck is going on with their numbers.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Went and saw in 3D this afternoon. No special IMAX theater, but good none the less. I thought the 3D conversion was done well up until the sinking and the terrible 3D breath. Lady in the theater was sobbing by the end.

I also loaded my phone with the Rifftrax before going, and it's been a long time since I listened to it. Much as I love rifftrax, it's not one of their best. Mostly because it's tough to riff the 3rd act (riffs for first two acts were fine) and 1500 people Dying (though there was a great Mr. Fantastic joke).

Anyways, movie is still a classic, and holds up well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom