• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

I feel like the only SOB who didn't "get" Psychonauts. I tried it twice but didn't enjoy it and eventually deleted it, although the farthest I've gone is finishing the tutorial which isn't much.

I'll get back to it but this time gonna use motionjoy or whatever it's called and play with a dualshock instead of KB/M to see if it improves it.

Definitely play past the tutorial! Of course you wouldn't get it yet - you haven't even encountered the first actual level of the game.

I feel like the only SOB who didn't "get" Psychonauts. I tried it twice but didn't enjoy it and eventually deleted it, although the farthest I've gone is finishing the tutorial which isn't much.

I'll get back to it but this time gonna use motionjoy or whatever it's called and play with a dualshock instead of KB/M to see if it improves it.

Yeah KB/M isn't so good. Try and make it to the Milkman level before you put the game away for good.

goober

Probably not the thread to post this in but does anyone know any gamepad deals?

Would really like to enjoy Psychonauts to the fullest.

The main reasons why I didn't find the platforming frustrating:
1) By the time the game demands any precision, you have the high jump and the float, so you typically have enough margin of error that if you make a bad jump and you realize it's a bad jump right away, you can save yourself.
2) Checkpointing when you fall into bottomless pits is generous. Also, if you fall from the top of the stage to the bottom of the stage and THEN jump into a bottomless pit, you will respawn at/near the top.
3) You have solid directional control in-air, so cases where you aren't quite aimed right on jump can be righted mid-air.
4) You have an edge grab that activates pretty generously
5) Very few jumps require a running start or momentum so typically once you're in the air, you can clear the jump.

The one platforming mechanic that I found didn't quite work were trampolines / bouncy awnings. They get gimped if you're on your levitate ball, and they feel pretty flimsy in general. Their placements in levels feel really artificial and could generally be replicated with just replacing them with solid ledges and letting the player do a levitate jump from them.

Those are good points, I just remember several moments where it felt like Raz was getting stuck on an edge/ledge/rope and wouldn't behave quite the way I wanted him to. There were also specific moments where he wouldn't grab a ledge when it seemed like he should and I just had to repeat the jump multiple times to get him to actually grab on.

Getting the levitation/float skill helped, but not entirely. (It's worth noting my complaint is the one minor issue I had with an otherwise great game. It definitely isn't game breaking).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stump, did you play with a controller or keyboard /mouse?

I hinted at it in my review when I mentioned that it had controller support but not button prompts, but I played with a wireless 360 controller. You can basically assume that I play every game that doesn't markedly benefit from KBM with a 360 controller.

Just FYI to whoever's maintaining the Steamworks list - Blacklight Retribution is almost certainly not going to be Steamworks. It's using the CORE Client or whatever it's called that other free-to-play games from that publisher uses.

Well, Tango Down was GFWL, so at least it'll be an improvement from that :p

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

How much do you want to spend and what features do you want? Because there are price brackets.

You could also look into using a controller you may already own, like the 360 pad and PS3 pad (via bluetooth) or even buying a separate adapter to use a PS2 controller.

Hmm... I did get a 50% Off coupon for Psychonauts during the holiday sales

Also got Bulletstorm on GFWL - I had a handful of Microsoft Points a few months ago and the game was on sale. I wish I had it on Steam though so I'd actually get around to playing it.

Caerith

Check out cheapassgamer.com, in the deals section. I got a DS3 not too long ago for PC gaming, came bundled with a console and games too.

Lots of games are better with gamepads: I played Arkham Asylum with kbm and thought the gameplay was meh, then tried Arkham City with gamepad and it was sublime.

iNvid02

won skydrift in bingo from puppet and its amazing. looks great and plays great, worth the $10 or £7 imo.

PaulLFC

Also got Bulletstorm on GFWL - I had a handful of Microsoft Points a few months ago and the game was on sale. I wish I had it on Steam though so I'd actually get around to playing it.
Bulletstorm is amazing. I'm purposely playing through it slowly because I don't want it to end. This is one time I'd advise putting up with GFWL, the game is that good. In-game GFWL hasn't caused me any problems up to now either.

naib

Hey Stump, goin through Pyschonauts right now and I agree. It's completely amazing and I'm attempting to 100%. BTW there is a patch to change the ui to 360 buttons.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2151566

edit:just saw ur note at the end of ur review lol. Well the mod works great for me.

For some reason I didn't have any luck with the button patch. I'll have to revisit it 'cause I did it pretty hastily.

I've got a dusty ex-box copy of Pyschonauts that a friend insisted I have and I bought the Steam version some time ago. But it took the Gift Grab achievement to get me to fire it up.
Sad, I know.

Anyway, now I get why it gets all the praise it does. Awesome game.

fallout

I've got a dusty ex-box copy of Pyschonauts that a friend insisted I have and I bought the Steam version some time ago. But it took the Gift Grab achievement to get me to fire it up.
Sad, I know.
I disagree, in that I don't think it's really that sad. The best part about those achievements was that it got me to try out a bunch of games I might not have gotten to for awhile.

Gifted a friend a copy of Dungeon Defenders during the sale, and he hated it at first. Now? He's 20 levels higher than I am, and is pestering me to play.

I agree though, best part of achievement is really finding the gem of a game!

BosSin

Aww yeah new thread, I've grown to love Steam and I remember it back from when it was a pile of crap.

Thread Subscribed

naib

I disagree, in that I don't think it's really that sad. The best part about those achievements was that it got me to try out a bunch of games I might not have gotten to for awhile.
There's quite a few games in my backlog that I dusted off and really enjoyed thanks to the winter chievos. But I feel terrible that a friend was so passionate about Psychonauts he gave me a physical copy and I never played it. This was probably 5-6 years ago. It took the lure of coal to get me to fire it up.

Even worse; I downloaded that posted save file. A few minutes into the intro I felt like an ass. Still proceeded to get the achievement over with, but I immediately turned around and started a new game.

Speevy

Banned
Hey guys, does anyone have a coupon that would allow me to get Skyrim at a discount?

Either

-Bethesda catalog
-Skyrim itself

I'll give away my entire inventory for such a coupon.

I have:

-Counterstrike Source
-50% off Fear 3
-50% off Strategy First
-33% off Codemasters
-33% off Valve
-50% off Spacechem
-50% off Oddworld: Abe's Exodus

-

goober

How much do you want to spend and what features do you want? Because there are price brackets.

You could also look into using a controller you may already own, like the 360 pad and PS3 pad (via bluetooth) or even buying a separate adapter to use a PS2 controller.

Check out cheapassgamer.com, in the deals section. I got a DS3 not too long ago for PC gaming, came bundled with a console and games too.

Lots of games are better with gamepads: I played Arkham Asylum with kbm and thought the gameplay was meh, then tried Arkham City with gamepad and it was sublime.

Cheapest I can spend possibly. Don't mind using used controllers.

I had an adapter with a PS2 controller, but I haven't used it since before college and I have no idea where it is now.

Any recommendations?

I had an adapter with a PS2 controller, but I haven't used it since before college and I have no idea where it is now.

Any recommendations?

I used my ps3 controller with motionjoy until my wife bought me a wired 360 controller for christmas. I set motionjoy to emulate a 360 controller and had no problems with anything, mapping was fine as well. If you have one you could look into that option.

ezodagrom

The Current Version ID for the Sonic 4 Episode 1 Steam registry entry has been updated for the 2nd time, the first time it was updated from version 0 to version 2 (this was a few weeks ago), today it was bumped from version 2 to version 5:

s4ep1v5.jpg

Tomodachi

Are you sure you don't want an used, wired 360 pad? Great quality and it's supported by default by 99% of games nowadays. You don't have to map key and stuff, it's plug and play just like on consoles. Mapping keys is a PAIN, for me at least.
I wouldn't buy any other pad for my pc honestly, totally worth the few extra bucks.

The Current Version ID for the Sonic 4 Episode 1 Steam registry entry has been updated for the 2nd time, the first time it was updated from version 0 to version 2 (this was a few weeks ago), today it was bumped from version 2 to version 5:

What is the significance of this?

ezodagrom

What is the significance of this?
Most unreleased games are listed as version ID 0, when they are released they're listed as version ID 1, and with any post release patch the version ID is increased.

In the case of Sonic 4 Ep 1, I guess they're testing the game and it has been updated with a newer test or even release candidate version?

Twinduct

So not going to use any vouchers, aint got the best, but hey one man's trash is another's treasure.

So where can I post my vouchers? Here? Or is there a dedicated place for this?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So not going to use any vouchers, aint got the best, but hey one man's trash is another's treasure.

So where can I post my vouchers? Here? Or is there a dedicated place for this?

There is a trading thread in the Community ghetto. One of these days I'm gonna find some sucker and make him take all of my coupons, I'm tired of seeing them in my inventory.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Does anyone not have the Orange Box, but still wants it? I won it over the sale, but I obviously already own it and then promptly forgot about it. Shoot me a PM.

When's the next big sale going to happen? Any chance Simcity 4 might get down to 5 euro's during it? I'm guessing it was 5 during the holiday sale but I didn't even think of buying it until the thread today =(

Twinduct

There is a trading thread in the Community ghetto. One of these days I'm gonna find some sucker and make him take all of my coupons, I'm tired of seeing them in my inventory.

Heh thanks, just dumped them all in the steam group chat lol, remaining ones will be thrown there then

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if CDPR's New Year's resolutions include fixing the Steam overlay in, funnily enough, just the Steam version of The Witcher 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom