• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing BotW feels like my first real next gen experience. What was your own?

Zakalwe

Banned
First, can we please avoid arguments about which gen the Switch belongs to, or whether it's a handheld/hybrid/home console, please (two 'pleases' = serious ask) .The topic is about any kind of next gen experience. This can be from gen 1-2, gen 4-5, etc... at any point in your gaming history.

Games have wowed me before. I've owned high-end gaming PCs in the past and some games on a purely visual experience alone have been amazing, but in my 30 years of gaming I can't remember having that defining "next gen experience".

I think this is probably because I tend to stay informed about latest developments and everything's felt so incremental, but nothing's ever really made me /feel/ that we're in a new gen.

I mean, we've had some leaps in visuals here and there, and I'll admit my favourite games this gen are cross gen titles (Persona 5, Yakuza 0 and Destiny) an I could have missed some games that provided me with this feeling, but this gen for example I've played most of the big releases and so far nadda.

Now, I'm not saying The Switch is some kind of revolution, but there's something about playing a game as complex and large as Zelda with the visual fidelity it does on a handheld device. Playing in TV mode I don't get this feeling, but when I switch to the handheld it really does feel like things have taken a step forward.

Now, I know this is incredibly subjective, and I'd like to point out I've not tried VR (which will likely be a common answer), And perhaps I've missed some incredibly complex or technically incredible hand held games in the past, but for me this is the first time I've felt like I'm playing something slightly futuristic.

This is an almost impossible feeling to quantify in a satisfying way for me, perhaps someone here can do better. Regardless, it would be interesting to read your own experiences here.

Alpha_eX

Fragments on Hololens, kind of mindblowing when it turns your living room into a crime scene that you physically walk around and explore.

Also Resident Evil 7 in VR, that felt like the next step, incredibly immersive with a near perfect aiming system for the weapons.

Betty

Banned
64 player Battlefield 4 was a real eye opener on PS4.

I remember Ground Zeroes was the first game that really wowed me gameplay wise on PS4, even though it's cross gen it felt like a good step forward.

Kurt

Yeah, botw shows what other games as step could take to go into the next gen experience.
It's for now the only one out there. I'm sure many AAA developers take this as an example for their next games (and it can be a complete different genre for doing that).

I can't really tell from your post how you define "next gen" other than a game that you apparently liked more than the others. As for me, next gen has nothing but technological implications and since I was a PC gamer for most of the past 8 years, I didn't really experience huge jumps but rather gradual improvements. Witcher 3 might be the closest to that but not really.

Is it weird that I played this on WiiU and got the same sensation?

I need a dev diary or a documentary of this game's development from start to finish. I need to know how this game was made. It just doesn't seem possible.

Probably Witcher 3. Spent 130 hrs on the game with all the expansions. The combat isn't the best, but it's serviceable. You never really need to change your tactics much, but it's up to you to change things up if you want to make it fun. However the world, characters, story, quests, and how these all blend so well together that pulled me in in ways that games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls never did.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
As weird as it is to say Rain World is one. I've been playing it on and off now and what it does with physics, AI, sand box systems and the world in general is far more impressive overall to me than games like Breath of the Wild or even Horizon which might being doing a lot more but its still stuff that's been done a lot of times, just better than ever before. Rain World felt like when I was playing Out of this World as a kid, it was alien and beautiful and something truly unique and special.

00ich

Oblivion was that game for the Xbox360.
The sheer size of the world combined with it's visual fidelity (it's not large by Zelda standards), the emergent gameplay moments (it's a confusing kitchen sink design and you'll end up throwing fireballs or hack away with a weapon) and the soundtrack (yes, that's still better) demonstrated what the next gen had to look like.

Horizon Zero Dawn, I've never been more consistently blown away in an over all presentation . From graphics , to art design, to gameplay , to story and writing it's all around such an amazing product it's the first game that truly blew me on my ass this generation.

Oblivion was that game for the Xbox360.
The sheer size of the world combined with it's visual fidelity (it's not large by Zelda standards), the emergent gameplay moments (it's a confusing kitchen sink design and you'll end up throwing fireballs or hack away with a weapon) and the soundtrack (yes, that's still better) demonstrated what the next gen had to look like.

I don't know man. Oblivion looked pretty washed out on 360 and not that great at all. I recall being shocked in 2006 by how blurry everything looked once I stepped outside the cave. That looked nothing like the developer's walkthrough from 2005. Gears of War was the real next gen kickstart.

Alienous

I'd have to give it to Assassin's Creed Unity. I played it after they had patched the most severe performance issues and it felt decidedly 'next-gen'.

Is it weird that I played this on WiiU and got the same sensation?

I need a dev diary or a documentary of this game's development from start to finish. I need to know how this game was made. It just doesn't seem possible.
Nintendo is good for this for me. First it was Wii sports, then pilotwings resort, then Nintendoland. Honestly as huge of a Zelda fan as I am, it didn't really give me the same feeling as a new way of play. I am so in love with my switch but I haven't had that newness feeling yet. The hybrid nature is great but I've already been so into handheld gaming for forever so the portability didn't really make a huge impact (even though as a dad I love it)

Elandyll

Banned
Zipping at incredible speeds and even flying across an open world city with incredible gfx and dynamic tod and weather in Infamous Second Son, and at 1080p30.

Edit: talking about current gen obviously.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This will sound really dumb because I think the game is trash, but honestly Killzone Shadowfall. The owl on the touchpad coupled with the vistas and lighting was absolutely breathtaking. TBH after that it took a while to recapture that for me, in terms of visuals Ratchet and clank and The Order really blew me away, but the order played horrendous and ratchet, while very tight gameplay and a lot of fun, felt basic.

Horizon really captured that for me and so did Battlefield 1, with the gigantic wars going on with the unbelievable visuals.

prag16

Banned
Your definition is really hazy.

But for me, the first game since PS4/xbone release to melt my face off was Battlefront on PC. The fidelity and presentation; everything about the visuals other than maybe the human faces which they probably didn't spend a ton of time on; was beyond my expectations.

If we're talking all time, it's Mario 64. I played it on a kiosk at KB Toys (and I held the analog stick the wrong way, like I was holding tweezers) and it absolutely blew me away.

Playing Timesplitters for the first time on the PS2. Game was so fluid and great looking that I really felt like I was having a next-gen experience.

Zakalwe

Banned
there are some good examples here already, things like remote play and 64 player modes are definitely things I could see giving you the feeling I'm describing.

I can't really tell from your post how you define "next gen" other than a game that you apparently liked more than the others. As for me, next gen has nothing but technological implications and since I was a PC gamer for most of the past 8 years, I didn't really experience huge jumps but rather gradual improvements. Witcher 3 might be the closest to that but not really.

I think the OP explains what I mean quite clearly, it's about a peice of gaming technology (software or hardware) that gives you a feeling that thigns have taken a step forward somehow. It's a difficult thing to quantify though, and I guess you've either felt it or you haven't.

For example, I was walking past a billboard in London a few days ago, it was one of those that plays videos in place of sttic images, and something about seeing that with the city skyline as a backdrop and the music I was listening to made me feel liek I was in a Bladerunner style further for a moment.

I can't describe it well, but it's certainly not just about "games I liked more than others, I think that much was clear.

Your definition is really hazy.

Obviously, its a very hazy topic.

If anyone can define it better please do!

PooBone

Quantum Break. The cinematic quality of the environments, the characters, the dialogue, the science fiction and thick backstories you could hunt down and read yourself if so inclined, the structure of the time loops and chasing yourself like Marty McFly in Back To The Future 2..... I fucking loved that game.

maxmars

Yeah, playing BotW on an handheld was truly a next-gen experience, the greatest jump I've witnessed so far gen to gen (coming from MonHun on 3ds).

Before that, R6 Siege. Being able to blow to bits a whole house was something I had never experienced before.

Zakalwe

Banned
Nothing next gen about Zelda. It's on the Wii U and doesn't even use the gamepad meaning it could literally have been a PS3 or 360 game.

You missed the point entirely. OP clearly explains it's about a feeling you get, not the actual relative technical merits of a particular game.

prag16

Banned
Quantum Break. The cinematic quality of the environments, the characters, the dialogue, the science fiction and thick backstories you could hunt down and read yourself if so inclined, the structure of the time loops and chasing yourself like Marty McFly in Back To The Future 2..... I fucking loved that game.

Always good to see some more people that loved this game. It got shit on A LOT around here. But it was firmly in my top 5 of 2016. I haven't done a replay yet, and I need to. Maybe after I'm done with ME:A and Horizon.

taparoo

I always had a pc so there weren't many wow moments for me when it came to consoles. GTA3 maybe. As far as PC, Counter-Strike beta for multiplayer. Rescuing hostages and defusing bombs in a multiplayer game seemed so advanced to me at the time. HL2 for single player stands out as well, mainly because of the physics and gravity gun. Crysis as well, because to me it wasn't just fancy graphics. A (small) open world with a supersuit that gave you so many options on how to approach combat made the game really feel like a playground.

Honestly? Resogun. Saw how smooth it played but how beautiful it looked and remembered thinking the same thing when I saw Geometry Wars in action.

Rodin

Yeah, Zelda for me too.

EDIT: wait, in general and not this gen only? Well then maybe the first one was playing NES games after the Atari 2600. Super Mario Bros. 1-3, The Legend of Zelda, Megaman 2...

Then DKC on the SNES, those backgrounds were mindblowing back then. Super Metroid, Street Fighter 2, SMK and ALTTP were also incredible.

Then came Super Mario 64 and OOT. MGS followed. Enough said.

After those, Metroid Prime, the two Gothic, Morrowind and Wind Waker felt like a new step in what could be made with complex 3D environments and mechanics. HL2 gave me that feeling again thanks to the physics implementations and incredible gameplay. Wii gave me that as well the first time i used motion controls in Wii Sports, or when i used the pointer aiming with the bow in TP, or the controls in Metroid Prime 3.

360 hit hard with PGR3 and Oblivion (HD+graphics that felt unreal for the time), but after that it took Breath of the Wild to truly impress me again.

Nothing next gen about Zelda. It's on the Wii U and doesn't even use the gamepad meaning it could literally have been a PS3 or 360 game.

image.php

Top Bottom