• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Jeffrey

I've already watched one review about how the "plain" and "boring" back without any logos or patterns needed a dbrand skin

if its durable as ppl say it is, i wont mind rocking a skin on it for grip. It's not like i see any case options for it online atm.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The-Art-of-Shade.jpg

Quasar

Ah. It'll be interesting to see if Fuchsia is less open than Android if Google does actually make it the successor.

I expect if its more closed it will be doomed. None of the Android OEMS will have any incentive to not continue to use Android. At least untill Google no longer supports Android.

I don't actually expect it to amount to anything. Just like the non Windows operating systems Microsoft has developed over the years. Features will probably just get rolled into Android.

LeleSocho

Banned
would have gotten the Essential to replace my dying Nexus 6P
but it seems like the Camera isn't quite up to snuff?

That was because some didn't receive the software update, apparently it fixed a lot of things but while good (better than the 6P) it isn't Pixel quality (yet?).

Jeffrey

dont expect pixel quality auto mode unless you are also a company with a super ai analyzing pictures for decades, or part of some billion dollar global giant organization

jokkir

What Android phone has the best camera nowadays? For stills and video. I have an S7 and taking videos with it but the front cameras wide angle is really messing with my selfie game lol (also, the back Cera is alright)

Here's an example of the video recording on the back camera:
https://vimeo.com/226397937

Mindwipe

thanks competing HDR standards!

It's literally nothing to do with competing HDR standards. Someone who didn't know anything about HDR got confused. The S8 supports HDR10+ and HDR10.

It's about DRM certification. Samsung is pretty slow at getting handsets supported for HD even on Netflix.

Got a pretty nasty battery drain overnight. I left my phone not charging and at 100% when I left to go to sleep. Then when I woke up, it was completely dead.
Here's the battery chart.

Highest-usage was Android OS and AT&T Uverse. Is the Uverse app really that poorly optimized? I don't even remember when I opened it since my last reset.

Jeffrey

It's literally nothing to do with competing HDR standards. Someone who didn't know anything about HDR got confused. The S8 supports HDR10+ and HDR10.

It's about DRM certification. Samsung is pretty slow at getting handsets supported for HD even on Netflix.

oh yeah. good luck getting hd netflix on any chinese android phones. Never understood why other video apps never had this kinda issues.

I plan on upgrading my Nexus 6 (not the 6p) and was wondering how big of an improvement in speed and battery life I would be getting if I'm upgraded to like the pixel 1 or 2 or g6/v30? I'm not in a rush to upgrade as my phone is still working fine but just trying feel out my options

Vanillalite

I've heard competing theories.

Samsung S8 is mobile HDR premium certified.

It does NOT support Dolby Vision.

LG does support DV and I've heard (don't own a G6) that the Netflix HDR implementation on the G6 IS DV.

That being said normal TV Netflix already supports HDR10. So I don't see why it would be that hard to do Mobile HDR10.

Jeffrey

I plan on upgrading my Nexus 6 (not the 6p) and was wondering how big of an improvement in speed and battery life I would be getting if I'm upgraded to like the pixel 1 or 2 or g6/v30? I'm not in a rush to upgrade as my phone is still working fine but just trying feel out my options
I still have a nexus 6 around. Don't expect anything mind blowing. Finger print sensor is nice. Amoled and 1440p is still a thing. Those hitches and loads are lessen. And apps will reload less because of more memory.

I still have a nexus 6 around. Don't expect anything mind blowing. Finger print sensor is nice. Amoled and 1440p is still a thing. Those hitches and loads are lessen. And apps will reload less because of more memory.
Thanks! I figured as much but at least I'll have the new and shiny device with a finger print sensor lol

Vanillalite

Thanks! I figured as much but at least I'll have the new and shiny device with a finger print sensor lol

Day to day performance won't be massive.

Other things will be. Encryption, camera, GPU stressing apps, and things that actually use a CPU for long use ie compression/decompression, installs, Android updates ect...

You aren't gonna magically see texting, discord, or Google music become anything more than they already are though.

HawkeyeIC

Camera will be the most mind blowing thing.

Mindwipe

oh yeah. good luck getting hd netflix on any chinese android phones. Never understood why other video apps never had this kinda issues.

No other video app with professionally produced content is available on anywhere near as many devices as Netflix, or generally don't provide HD at all to Android.

Sky in the UK are much more limited on HD devices, and used to whitelist devices for any content at all until last year. Amazon only runs on Android TV devices that they have a commercial agree

Google Play only tends to provide HD content to those devices because the chipset comes with Widevine Level 1 pre-installed, and ZTE occasionally even fuck that up.

kaiyo

I've heard competing theories.

Samsung S8 is mobile HDR premium certified.

It does NOT support Dolby Vision.

LG does support DV and I've heard (don't own a G6) that the Netflix HDR implementation on the G6 IS DV.

That being said normal TV Netflix already supports HDR10. So I don't see why it would be that hard to do Mobile HDR10.

XZ Premium is HDR10 and has HDR Netflix

Al-ibn Kermit

The Pixels won't be announced until October right? It sounds like the XL2 is going to be largely identical to the V30 which comes out earlier. My Motorola X Pure has the back light failing on a 1 centimeter section of the screen (second time) and since the warranty is up in October, I'm wondering what Motorola does in case they don't have any old stock of it. Of course I'm hoping they have no more Pures and will just refund me what the phone costs...

I really can't be bothered to care about android these days as you can all tell by my severe lack of posting here but figured people might want to know I heard pixel/XL release dates will be separated by like 10 or so days. Not sure if that's worldwide or what. Also no more 32gb. Also for the XL the white version will be panda style. Announcement should be first week of oct, prob oct 4. Launch date prob the same as last year give or take a day. Probably take. For the small one at least.

Anyway....meh. Nothing outrageous or unexpected you guys probably knew all that already. Carry on.

Also the Note 8 price is going to shock people that's all I'm gonna say. I don't remember what the Note 7 debuted at but when I saw the Note 8 price I gasped. I thought iPhone Pro was gonna be craycray expensive. Samsung getting in on it too.

Top Bottom