• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Final bands for Netherlands Deathfest 2018 have been announced (check out Looking For An Answer if you haven't yet):

Emperor
Profanatica
Looking for an Answer
Hierophant
Leng Tch'e
Merrimack
Rectal Smegma
Rites of Thy Degringolade
Auroch
Skullhog

20900612_715472815324973_8206358581418667616_o.jpg

NDF lineup looks ridiculous, even with bands I've already seen just in one place. Hope MDF rounds theirs out nicely to match. Right now there's tons of stuff I haven't seen so I'm happy, but I'd like some bombs

Rumblings of Emperor over here, would be nice since I figured for sure they'd be on it last year (they announced their reunion shows like the day before MDF's final lineup announcement)

I could also see Blood showing up since they're playing their first show here this year

Basically I'm saying book Jig-Ai

RDreamer

Oh dude, you have like 20 years to catch up on. They've put out a lot of very unique non-metal records since Themes from William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell and onwards. I have enjoyed just about everything.

Yeah Ulver's fucking awesome. Don't know any other band that's as open and creative as they are. Their album this year is amazing, too. One of my favorites from them.

Sanctuary

So, just listened to the new Attic album, still obviously sounds like King Diamond since the vocals is a ripoff, it is what it is, take it or leave it.

Attic-Sanctimonious-gatefold-12-2LP-BOX-EDITION-PREORDER_3319.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpJtujr691s&ab_channel=vanrecords
https://open.spotify.com/album/3Tbs05kELqZaOXGbfABUDx

I initially actually came here to post that this had been released, but after multiple listens, couldn't recommend it at all, even to those who still like Mercyful Fate and King Diamond.

On The Invocation, they did a really good job at being Mercyful Fake, but here it sounds like a weak attempt to combine Fatal Portrait with The Eye, and some extremely boring black metal riffs. The story takes precedence over the songwriting, instead of the story complimenting the other, and my biggest complaint is that the album shows how much wasted potential it was. There's plenty of great choruses, riffs and leadwork, but they are essentially hidden in each track instead of being the focus. Theatrics and vocals that sound more like a technical display, or simply exercises instead of anything truly memorable are about all this is other than maybe two songs at most. "The Hound of Heaven" was the first video they released over a month ago, and it's still the most memorable track by far, and not soley because it's been around to digest for longer.

Metal-GAF, I come with a request. It's been awhile since I've really dug into the metal scene, so forgive my ignorance, but what is the catchiest power metal song of the last 5 years?

Hello.

Pretty big fan of Agalloch's the Mantle though I've struggle in diving further into black metal. Any recommendations based on that?

I also like Summ............

tumblr_mxsbs4K4zu1rqhhzfo3_500.gif

Can't recommend anything really concrete... Agalloch was one of a kind band with a really unique defining sound to their albums, don't think we'll ever come across a band yet that can invoke what Agalloch did. It's similar to trying to find a band that's like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, I don't think one will ever be satisfied, too unique.

You may want to check out the two bands by former members, one is Pillorian which is headed by John Haughm and their debut album came out this year and is really good but nothing groundbreaking.

The rest of the members of Agalloch, Jason Walton, Don Anderson, and Aesop Dekker now formed Khôrada, their debut album is still in the works.

The closest I can recommend to Agalloch mostly due to the nature theme both bands have is maybe Wolves in the Throne Room but they're still quite different.

ArcTanGent was pretty amazing. Got to stand on stage for Converge's set which was epic.

Huge list of bands to delve into the back catalogues of now...

Turin

Banned
I'd put the Atmospheric Black Metal channel on and just let it play, see if you hear anything you like. So much amazing stuff on there.

Can't recommend anything really concrete... Agalloch was one of a kind band with a really unique defining sound to their albums, don't think we'll ever come across a band yet that can invoke what Agalloch did. It's similar to trying to find a band that's like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, I don't think one will ever be satisfied, too unique.

You may want to check out the two bands by former members, one is Pillorian which is headed by John Haughm and their debut album came out this year and is really good but nothing groundbreaking.

The rest of the members of Agalloch, Jason Walton, Don Anderson, and Aesop Dekker now formed Khôrada, their debut album is still in the works.

The closest I can recommend to Agalloch mostly due to the nature theme both bands have is maybe Wolves in the Throne Room but they're still quite different.

Thank you very much. Will check these out. :)

Regiruler

Metal-GAF, I come with a request. It's been awhile since I've really dug into the metal scene, so forgive my ignorance, but what is the catchiest power metal song of the last 5 years?

Catchiest, with no other requests or modifiers?

I'd probably have to go with The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee.

I don't think it's the best, but it's the most immediately ear-wormy, outside of maybe Universe on Fire (but I don't know how you feel about techno so I discounted it).

Bitanator

I suppose power/whatever is fine, sure!

Not really answering your first question, but here are a couple of my favorite power songs/bands

Check out Salem Spade from Colorado. Great Power/Speed band, released a comp called Witch Hunt, recommend for fans of old school power metal bands

Salem Spade - Children of the Wasteland

Highly reccomend the band Hellhound as well

Hellhound - Ice Age

Fantastic cult Bay Area power/speed band, one of my very favorites

Sanctuary

I suppose power/whatever is fine, sure!

If you had allowed us to go back just a year or two more, I could have posted better examples. What's been posted so far might be more of what you're looking for, but my tolerance for typical European power metal is pretty much zero nowadays, so "catchy", let alone "catchiest" is entirely subjective.

Anyway, here's an example of how you can have both virtuosity and extreme catchiness in a single song.

Sunburst - Out of this World

ShaneB

Meant to reply to that request earlier, funny seeing all the Gloryhammer posts, first thing that came to my head was 'Universe on Fire'.

I suppose on topic, if you're looking for a Hard Rock/Power Metal album, Eden's Curse latest album 'Cardinal' is pretty rocking. The track 'Utopian Dreams' sounds like a great Edguy track.

New album from Widek, 'Hidden Dimensions', is awesome too. Fairly somber tone, perfect track lengths too for instrumentals, album zips by. Will make a great winter/rainy night album.

07h1fHh.png

Dismember (SWE) - The God That Never Was (Regain 2006)
Dismember (SWE) - Dismember (Regain 2008)

the last two albums of a highly impressive run in the Swedish death metal realm. Check these out if you haven't already. These will click immediately for any fan of their old stuff. Also, inspired by current events:

Black Sun

Hey,

Most people outside of Italy probably haven't heard of gli atroci (a parody metal band). There's a song called Nuklear Piknik With Satan which sounds really cool. They usually spoof other bands and i was wondering if any of you know any band that sounds close to this (clear-sounding, fast-paced 4/4 drum beat, rather high-pitched growls, riff-heavy, etc). Broken-english is not a requirement ;)
It starts around 1:20 ...
https://youtu.be/3Jc51Jx1nL0

Much appreciated.

(If anybody is curious, Here's another stupid song by them: https://youtu.be/BMxaLEGCVdg... It's inspired by a very old commercial... Their lyric "To make a real big wall, you need a big paintbrush" refers to: https://youtu.be/LmIRZdTYDiw... And they also spew random German words just to make it more Rammsteiny)

jmdajr

07h1fHh.png

Dismember (SWE) - The God That Never Was (Regain 2006)
Dismember (SWE) - Dismember (Regain 2008)

the last two albums of a highly impressive run in the Swedish death metal realm. Check these out if you haven't already. These will click immediately for any fan of their old stuff. Also, inspired by current events:

Black Sun

Hey I have that one on the left!

Apparently the Misfits LA reunion show tickets are $220, lmao
I'd pay it if I didn't see em :'(

Riot Fest 3 day pass in Chicago was like....$150?

Finally getting around to listening to the new Wintersun. It's interesting, so Wintersun went through all of that drama over the years about how they require perfect production, delaying and cancelling albums because of it, and they finally release an album and the production is... this? It's not bad or anything, but come on after all that. My first impressions are good, I thought it was supposed to suck.

Finally getting around to listening to the new Wintersun. It's interesting, so Wintersun went through all of that drama over the years about how they require perfect production, delaying and cancelling albums because of it, and they finally release an album and the production is... this? It's not bad or anything, but come on after all that. My first impressions are good, I thought it was supposed to suck.
Naw, this album has the production Jari thought it needed. He wants "perfect" for Time II and his future albums. He basically tooled this one around the production capabilities he had at the time.

Which are fine, really. So is the updated Time I.5. I wish he'd stop being such a crazy person about it.

hey cool. What's your gear?
BC Rich Mockingbird with Duncan designed actives, shitty Behringer HM300 (HM-2 clone) into a Peavey XXX with a Carvin 4x12 cab

I wanted to avoid typical HM-2 sound so i rolled the mids back to like 1 o clock (just enough to where the buzzsaw starts kicking in), and no distortion. Level and bass almost maxed. Just enough to give it this awful grimey sound while still maintaining saturation. Haha. Amp gain is at like 75%, for whatever reason the tone actually sounded better adding gain (just adds feedback but it works)

I bought several pedals to try different sounds but nothing worked as much as my $20 pink piece of plastic from Behringer. Can't complain

Naw, this album has the production Jari thought it needed. He wants "perfect" for Time II and his future albums. He basically tooled this one around the production capabilities he had at the time.

Which are fine, really. So is the updated Time I.5. I wish he'd stop being such a crazy person about it.

I see. I still think this sounds great. I like this material better than Time, too.

I bought several pedals to try different sounds but nothing worked as much as my $20 pink piece of plastic from Behringer. Can't complain

I have the behringer fz-2 clone (Dopethrone sound) and it's a billion times better sounding than it has any right to be really

build quality is a nightmare though, that thing wouldn't survive 2 days on the road. studio use only

like, sparks fly out when I plug in the power supply when metal contacts metal.

Gray Matter

Anyone have experience selling tickets on Ticketmaster?

Just put up one ticket for a show that I won't go to, how does it work exactly?

I have the behringer fz-2 clone (Dopethrone sound) and it's a billion times better sounding than it has any right to be really

build quality is a nightmare though, that thing wouldn't survive 2 days on the road. studio use only

like, sparks fly out when I plug in the power supply when metal contacts metal.
Haha! Jesus christ. I've heard horrible things about build quality but I've had this for 6 or 7 years now (bought used) and I've never had issues. Granted I stopped using for a few of those when I wanted like a listenable tone but yea
Yo pretty sweet. Sounds nasty.
Thanks!

Top Bottom