• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita US Launch Details (Launch Games, Accessory Pricing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

njean777

I really don't understand what some people expect with Backwards Compatibility issue. Sony never said the Vita would have BC. They NEEDED to get rid of the UMD format and did that. They still allow you to download PSP games PSN. And with the exception of selling it, you still have your PSP. A trade-in program would be nice, but that's it. You're not entitled to be able to play your PSP games on the Vita.

Some people feel entitled to everything. But I was under the impression that psp games downloaded on psn will work on the vita... please tell me my P3P will work :(

Slaylock

Was it known that some GameStop stores have a Vita demo unit? My local store in Sterling, VA did. Had some demos for Uncharted, Wipeout, Little Deviants, Modnation Racers, and some others. I haven't been following this stuff much so my apologies if it's been mentioned already.
It's been mentioned a few times and several people have posted their impressions, but it's been a few pages ago so it doesn't hurt to remind people.

I finalized all of my pre-orders this morning.

First edition bundle
32GB memory card
PSV cradle
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Wipeout
Lumines (PSN)

Can't wait.

graywolf323

Some people feel entitled to everything. But I was under the impression that psp games downloaded on psn will work on the vita... please tell me my P3P will work :(

there are very very few PSP games on PSN that won't work

not sure if Japan GAF has made a list at least of the Japanese games but I haven't heard of any yet

would be highly highly surprised if P3P doesn't

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
As consumers who hold the cash, no I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some form of backward compatibility. If no other manufacturer provided it, then it would perhaps seem out of place but Nintendo, the other major competitor, does very well here. At least being backward compatible one gen should be possible.

Anyway, whether it's unreasonable or not, every feature Sony fails to implement just provides one more reason for the homebrew community to forge full steam ahead towards cracking this thing. Things like PS3 remote play, video out, apps, a decent browser, better media format support, easy PSN account switching and even UMD rips will all be targets. These were the types of deficiencies that were present with the PSP and that the homebrew community mostly solved. I hate to say it but Sony builds great hardware, they're just not very good at the software and marketing/PR side of things.

I swear, these kinds of baboon like statements have been old. Vita is held to a standard like no other. It comes down to opinions like people basically wanting it hacked to play NES games or whatever like video out? Somehow via USB I suppose? I didn't care then for the sake of piracy and I really don't care now. The bottom line is they got killed by the ease of PSP being hacked and are trying to prevent that. Hence only being able to copy games to back up and then being deleted off the PC once they are restored. I see no problem with that but with the PSP, it was allowed and not restricted in a sense. That's definitely no issue with me but if some want to grasp at that then go ahead.

Mind you the last rant was just one thing.

XOMTOR

how exactly is the homebrew community going to make video out happen...

How did the PSP Go output video?

Seriously, some people give too much credit to homebrew community.

In the examples I provided above, there's homebrew that solves PSN account switching with no need to access a WiFi connection or Sony servers, it's called PSN Licence Enabler; you run the program, it reboots your PSP and you're now using your new licence. Makes switching between regions a 5 second affair.

As for a better browser, use the PSPKVM Java runtime homebrew and run any Java browser you like. I use Opera Mini at the moment and had BOLT up until last week when they discontinued their service. I even get my Gmail using Google's Java client.

Better media support, yes a CFW PSP can play more formats than stock FW and CFW PSPs had the ability to play music while playing games before Vita. CFW PSPs also had a "savestate" feature long before the Go. And lets not forget that (unfortunately or not) UMD ripping is possible. It won't be a stretch to see those being run on the Vita. So sadly, a feature Sony can't/won't provide will likely be made possible by a bunch of homebrewers.

Not trying to glorify the homebrew community, just saying that Sony could learn a thing or 2 from them and improve Vita's functionality. Already CFW PS3 users can play almost every PS3 game on their Vitas via remote play. Sony says they plan to improve the feature; hopefully they do.

Zutroy

For those who don't follow Cheap arse gaf:
The UK price war is certainly hitting full swing slowly.

PlayStation Vita, 4GB Memory Card, FIFA 12, Preorder Pack AND £25 Morrisons vouchers for £250 @ Morrisons (Preorders start Monday online and instore)

692a6de9.jpg

From HUKD

Yay! I'll read the brief tomorrow and see if there's anymore info on it. If it excludes staff discount though, I'll be pissed!

Also, as I said before, Uncharted is £35 so with the £25 voucher that would be £260 for Wifi Vita/4GB memory/per-order pack/Fifa and Uncharted.

mauaus

3G/WIFI Launch Bundle $350
32 gb card $100
Uncharted $40
Fifa $40
Cradle $20
Screen Protector $10

great launch, still less than 599 US DOOLLAAARS

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Better media support, yes a CFW PSP can play more formats than stock FW and CFW PSPs had the ability to play music while playing games before Vita. CFW PSPs also had a "savestate" feature long before the Go. And lets not forget that (unfortunately or not) UMD ripping is possible. It won't be a stretch to see those being run on the Vita. So sadly, a feature Sony can't/won't provide will likely be made possible by a bunch of homebrewers.

Not trying to glorify the homebrew community, just saying that Sony could learn a thing or 2 from them and improve Vita's functionality. Already CFW PS3 users can play almost every PS3 game on their Vitas via remote play. Sony says they plan to improve the feature; hopefully they do.

You're right. I mean, the type of consumer to want to crack and homebrew a system to get it to do everything that they want it to is not the average-run-of-the-mill consumer. It's like the hardcore guys that crack PC games with draconian DRM, who want to be rid of the need for having a disk inserted, or talking to the DRM servers, etc.

But by including all these limitations on what the system can do, companies like Sony then stimulate these uber-users to crack the system and proove that the limitation in pointless, artificial, and stupid. Then they post the results of that effort on the internet, and a million other brainless scumbags are using that effort to just steal and play software without paying for it.

It's like pulling the "Other OS" feature from PS3. Did that make the PS3 platform more secure? Fuck no. It motivated the online posting of the PS3 rootkit. Half the people I knew who jailbroke their iPhone did so just so they could have custom images where Apple wasn't allowing them at the time.

So if they could just be a bit less restrictive about things, and give the uber-users the features they want, they would find their stuff cracked open far less fervently and quickly, IMO.

Me, I do my homebrewing with Photoshop.

250px-Fatal_Frame_IV.jpg

The only temptation I have to Homebrew something is my Wii, so I can play Fatal Frame 4. Why? Because Nintendo is still region-locking their shit for some reason. Plus, even though there was a perfectly reasonable fan-made patch that had nothing to do with piracy, required the original, imported game to run, and did the amazing task of swapping in subtitled text for fan-made English translation on-the-fly during gameplay, Nintendo put out a system update that locked that down. Now you have to run homebrew to play that game.

And so I am pushed farther to the dark side, cracking my shit to get it to do what I want, even as I paid rightfully for the game I imported. Not a pirate, just a guy tired of the lock-down bullshit.

no_to_co

Since people are posting, here is mine from Amazon.

PlayStation Vita First Edition Bundle
32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card
PlayStation Vita Cradle
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Wipeout 2048
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
ModNation Racers: Road Trip

$599 + $7 release date shipping

and Uncharted from TRU
$43 with tax shipped

I would have gotten the headphones and the USB cable if those were release dated shipped from Amazon.

These next two weeks better go by quickly.

Raine

Sound Shapes LOOK great. And it has a community that allows to share and play other people's levels? Hmmm. May be picking this up. Is it a launch title?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Some people feel entitled to everything.
I think it's a fairly reasonable expectation that the system is BC as the system it's competing against is BC. Sure, it is on PSN, but I don't feel like I should have to rebuy my games to play them on PSN. I mean, whatever, I'll just rip them and play them on my hacked Go, but lots of other consumers are going to feel burned. I certainly wasn't about to go digital only with prices being the same prices as UMD (and generally higher after the game's been out for two weeks) and having to rely on Sony to allow me to play my games when I want to in 2, 5, 10, 20 years.

They clearly don't have to do anything, but to say people "feel entitled to everything" over something like this is a bit over dramatic. It's not like we're saying "we should get every single PSP title for free!!!1" It's saying "hey I bought my games on UMD, I'd like to be able to play these on the new device."

JohngPR

Just for shits and giggles, I went on Amazon and checked to see how much I would get if I traded in a bunch of stuff I could do without. Some stuff I double dipped and bought the PC version, while others I know I wouldn't be playing anytime soon:

C5tyY.jpg

Looks like I'm getting a Vita for $54.

:D

Takao

Banned
I seem to remember it being "launch window" when it was first announced. Or has that changed?

That has changed. Back when I played last year I asked the Queasy rep when we could expect it, and he said it was up to Sony. I've also been asking for a release time frame in the live chat, and haven't had one question go through.

- J - D -

Just for shits and giggles, I went on Amazon and checked to see how much I would get if I traded in a bunch of stuff I could do without. Some stuff I double dipped and bought the PC version, while others I know I wouldn't be playing anytime soon:

C5tyY.jpg

Looks like I'm getting a Vita for $54.

:D

You did better than I did. $180 off my preorder. I was surprised by how much I got off of a few school textbooks. :D It took a long-ass time for Amazon to process though.

Carl

That has changed. Back when I played last year I asked the Queasy rep when we could expect it, and he said it was up to Sony. I've also been asking for a release time frame in the live chat, and haven't had one question go through.

Ah, bollocks. Oh well, kind of glad. It would be buried in the heap of amazing launch window games. Would rather wait til June and see it do well than have it in March and see it bomb.

Some of these levels are absolutely gorgeous

XOMTOR

Both the PSP Go and the PSP-3000 have video out, added by Sony themself, so no hacking is needed for that. You just need to buy a seperate AV cable.

I may be wrong but isn't the PSP Go's multi-use connector (bottom) the same as the one on the Vita? It sure looks to be. Anyway, I would imagine that Vita has the ability to output video (the dev units do) so hopefully it's just a matter of Sony allowing it in the future.

The bottom line is they got killed by the ease of PSP being hacked and are trying to prevent that. Hence only being able to copy games to back up and then being deleted off the PC once they are restored.

The PSP wasn't killed because it was hacked, it sold over 70 million units. But you're right Sony is trying to lock down Vita. Unfortunately, they're using so many protections that they're removing features and implementing yet another proprietary memory card and game format as a result. Sadly, Sony only knows how to fight pirates head-on and they usually fail at it. They also can't comprehend that homebrew isn't the same as piracy.

Anyway, I agree with Gabe who said:

“The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates.”

Using that philosophy, instead of fighting the homebrew community, figure out what they're doing / going after and do it better. The Vita is an amazing piece of hardware and surely has tons of potential; hopefully Sony will be able to loosen some of the restrictions and give it wings

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Anyway, I agree with Gabe who said:

“The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates.”

Using that philosophy, instead of fighting the homebrew community, figure out what they're doing / going after and do it better. The Vita is an amazing piece of hardware and surely has tons of potential; hopefully Sony will be able to loosen some of the restrictions and give it wings

I agree with this, but I imagine this is a bit harder to proceed with when you handle physical media (without serial keys). If it was 100% digital like steam, I would say it's possible.

Anyone considering taking off of work and going to the midnight launch? XD

I'll just goto work late.

I hate to say it but Sony builds great hardware, they're just not very good at the software and marketing/PR side of things.

Tell me about it. I bought one of these last month and it's quite possibly the most exciting piece of tech that I've purchased in years - yet, the average consumer awareness of it is nada.

WS2085-68009.jpg

WS2086-98362.jpg

JohngPR

You did better than I did. $180 off my preorder. I was surprised by how much I got off of a few school textbooks. :D It took a long-ass time for Amazon to process though.

Nice, congrats.

I'm hoping I have the credit before it comes out. It's usually taken me two weeks to get my credit, so I'm hoping the timing works out.

Carl

Ah the music in Sound Shapes gives you a cue of when to jump. Pretty cool, didn't know that. Really does look excellent.

test_account

XP-39C²
I may be wrong but isn't the PSP Go's multi-use connector (bottom) the same as the one on the Vita? It sure looks to be. Anyway, I would imagine that Vita has the ability to output video (the dev units do) so hopefully it's just a matter of Sony allowing it in the future.
I'm not sure that it is exactly the same plugs, but from what i have seen, the plugs does at least look quite similar yeah.

You're right that the dev units have video out, so it is possible on a technical level. But i think that the dev units have extra hardware for this. I cant imagine that it will be possible to enable this on the retail Vitas through a software update. But the Vita might get a hardware revision in the future with video out, like we saw with the PSP Go and the PSP-3000.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Tell me about it. I bought one of these last month and it's quite possibly the most exciting piece of tech that I've purchased in years - yet, the average consumer awareness of it is nada.

WS2085-68009.jpg
WS2086-98362.jpg

I think I'll wait for the cloned implants.

250px-GeordiLaForge.jpg
320x240.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom