• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite Gameplay/Pre-Launch Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

We literally have nothing to go off of for who the last 4 DLC characters are.

An unverified, minimally conflicting leak from half a year ago saying the remaining DLC characters would show up in the story in some form or another is the only thing that has people thinking TWS/Venom/Meio/project4thcharacterhere are DLC.
I'm going off the .zip leak.

I was told that Venom would be a DLC character months ago, he appears in the .zip leak, and Symbiotes play a large role in the story. I think it's safe to say that Venom will be DLC. We also know that Hunter shows up in the story, and one of the stages is based on Monster Hunter. She's most likely DLC, too.

So with Sigma, Black Panther, Venom, and Hunter as DLC characters, that leaves two. Considering who's publishing this game, I think it's more likely that all six characters will show up in the story (and by extension the .zip leak) than only four of them. Remember that all six of Street Fighter V's season one DLC characters appeared in story mode.

JayEH

Even the possibility of Meio makes me not want to buy the season pass.

Who am I kidding I'll still get it anyway.

DR2K

Banned

I was told that Venom would be a DLC character months ago, he appears in the .zip leak, and Symbiotes play a large role in the story. I think it's safe to say that Venom will be DLC. We also know that Hunter shows up in the story, and one of the stages is based on Monster Hunter. She's most likely DLC, too.

So with Sigma, Black Panther, Venom, and Hunter as DLC characters, that leaves two. Considering who's publishing this game, I think it's more likely that all six characters will show up in the story (and by extension the .zip leak) than only four of them. Remember that all six of Street Fighter V's season one DLC characters appeared in story mode.

You were also told Ant-Man would be in. Things change. A character can appear in the game without having a model. Ken and Iron Fist appear in a poster for example.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

See this is a much better argument. I can follow for Venom and MH, but beyond that I'm skeptical, even if they do 4, it's likely they'll just do all 6.

I admit I'm biased, Meio would be incredibly shitty of a DLC choice given the number of unrepresented franchises in MvC:I currently.

You were also told Ant-Man would be in. Things change. A character can appear in the game without having a model. Ken and Iron Fist appear in a poster for example.
I forgot about this too, this also adds to my skepticism. Things change, and those whispers were a loooong time ago. Pre-backlash, even.

FSLink

Banned

A better example would have been the Dr. Octopus files in MvC3 that never turned out to be DLC. You won't generally find art assets like Ken/Iron Fist on a poster in the same area on a disc with the playable characters.

But considering it's Capcom and they already announced 6 DLC characters, I'm gonna expect Meio and if it's not, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I admit I'm biased, Meio would be incredibly shitty of a DLC choice given the number of unrepresented franchises in MvC:I currently.

Tbh this makes it seem more likely that it'll happen. lol

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
See this is a much better argument. I can follow for Venom and MH, but beyond that I'm skeptical, even if they do 4, it's likely they'll just do all 6.

Many posters apparently aren't fans of the idea of Meio and Winter Soldier being playable character so.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The wildest twist would be several of those as secret, unlockable characters. Maybe similar to MvC1 in a way.

Imagine Gold Iron Man or something as an unlockable.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Why would they make Meio dlc though? Obviously Vergil and Venom are popular characters that would sell well, but who the fuck is out there pining to pay extra to play as Grandmaster Meio?

FSLink

Banned
The wildest twist would be several of those as secret, unlockable characters. Maybe similar to MvC1 in a way.

Imagine Gold Iron Man or something as an unlockable.

I would laugh if a future DLC added Gold War Machine. Let me relive the MvC1 days a bit.

Why would they make Meio dlc though? Obviously Vergil and Venom are popular characters that would sell well, but who the fuck is out there pining to pay extra to play as Grandmaster Meio?

If he has an interesting playstyle, he'd be bought by people who want to play him. Or be bought by competitors who need to understand all matchups. They could always make the fighters available as a pack (outside of the season pass) as well to entice people to grab him along with the popular characters. This happens all the time in fighting game DLCs.

Ryce

There's a difference between not wanting Meio and not expecting him. Given the way everything has been handled up until now, I just don't have faith in Capcom that two of this year's DLC fighters will be completely original characters who don't appear in story mode.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

why would anyone pay to play as Shuma Gorath?

SaikyoBro

Do people really not like Winter Soldier? I was always under the impression he's pretty popular, why don't people want him?

FSLink

Banned

Or remember when people didn't know who the hell Rocket Raccoon was back in UMvC3? If he was DLC instead of being packed in with Ultimate I'm sure we'd get the same questions. If they're interesting to play, people will buy though obviously if they're fan favorites they'd be bought more.

Do people really not like Winter Soldier? I was always under the impression he's pretty popular, why don't people want him?

Probably just find more characters interesting than him.

I just want to see Winter Soldier vs Spencer fights.

Ryce

I can't think of a single fighting game where every DLC character was a highly requested fan favorite (besides maybe KoFXIV). Just look at what happened last month with Abigail.

Brobzoid

shuma and jill were really strange dlc choices tbh
I can't think of a single fighting game where every DLC character was a highly requested fan favorite (besides maybe KoFXIV). Just look at what happened last month with Abigail.

mvc is a dream match style game though, fan favorite characters from different works is a central part of the appeal imo.

J-Tier

Probably just find more characters interesting than him.
This. If they wanted to do another metal arm character, Misty Knight would've been the better alternative. She's a kickass, sexy, sassy, black woman and would also pair well with an eventual Iron Fist dlc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

mvc is a dream match style game though, fan favorite characters from different works is a central part of the appeal imo.

In retrospect (but many did feel that way at the time), perhaps two of the most unattractive characters you could choose for you just two DLC spots to sell a CE.

And bang on RE: second paragraph.

FSLink

Banned

Yeah, but a part of the appeal is also finding new favorites too. I'm sure a lot of people became fans of Rocket Raccoon, Nova, etc. when Ultimate came out.

In retrospect (but many did feel that way at the time), perhaps two of the most unattractive characters you could choose for you just two DLC spots to sell a CE.

And bang on RE: second paragraph.

Jill made sense. The issue is that she was very hard to play and so Shuma was tricky as well. Making two of the only DLC spots some of the harder characters to use seems weird.

Ryce

Yes, but that hasn't stopped licensed fighters in the past from having weird DLC picks.

Just assuming for a minute that Sigma, Black Panther, Hunter, Venom, Grandmaster Meio, and Winter Soldier are the six DLC characters, then everyone but Meio qualifies as a requested and/or well-known character. One obscure pick out of six isn't bad.

FourMyle

Black Panther/Sigma
Venom/Hunter

Those 4 are awesome picks. But yeah I'm iffy on Winter Soldier and Meio. Real iffy. Hopefully their gameplay makes them shine

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
When the Grandmaster is top tier, you'll all regret it.

I wouldn't because it's so often that I'm not that great with top tier characters because we don't click very well. If Meio's moveset is like crazy out there then I'm cool with it.

Injustice 1?

I wouldn't because it's so often that I'm not that great with top tier characters because we don't click very well. If Meio's moveset is like crazy out there then I'm cool with it.

Injustice 1?

The game that thought me to never buy another season pass. Everyone wanted Martian manhunter and got scorpion instead.

tribal24

Banned

Yeah this too, again if Capcom is listening about the character list, I'm willing to bet Meio doesn't make it in just because he would definitely give a bad impression.

Coda

I'm curious when we'll see some Sigma and Black Panther footage. I'm gonna guess that they'll both drop a month or two after launch.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Zod and Batgirl were really controversial at the time.

I seriously doubt that. Zod was an upcoming villain for next movie so I don't really see any controversial about it. And Batgirl is incredibly popular female character so I think she was part of top 10-15 female characters constantly for DC universe. It's hardly not controversial.

Brobzoid

Yeah, but a part of the appeal is also finding new favorites too. I'm sure a lot of people became fans of Rocket Raccoon, Nova, etc. when Ultimate came out.

yeah, that's true. but it would seem more sensible to me to include those odd picks in the base roster that everyone gets and use the dlc budget for characters with established fans that you can assume will be requested*. But like Ryce said, it's not like DLC for fighters has a history of being predictably sensible. idk.

(*the base roster being on the smaller side throws a bit of a wrench in this for mvci, plus how many assumed shoe-in characters are missing)

FSLink

Banned
I seriously doubt that. Zod was an upcoming villain for next movie so I don't really see any controversial about it, and Batgirl is incredibly popular female character so I think she was part of top 10-15 female characters for DC universe. It's hardly not controversial.

Yeah I think Scorpion was probably the most controversial out of the IJ1 DLC guys.
It didn't help he seemed stupid strong on release lol

yeah, that's true. but it would seem more sensible to me to include those odd picks in the base roster that everyone gets and use the dlc budget for characters with established fans that you can assume will be requested*. But like Ryce said, it's not like DLC for fighters has a history of being predictably sensible. idk.

(*the base roster being on the smaller side throws a bit of a wrench in this for mvci, plus how many assumed shoe-in characters are missing)

Yeah I dunno, especially since we have no idea how Meio would work within MvCI. He could end up being cool as shit. Sometimes the devs just want to do what they want to do. (See Abigail in SFV S2)

Dirtbag

Didnt they say they would pair the fighters up for DLC?
Meio would probably be paired and sold with a desirable Marvel rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom