• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the starting roster of ARMS revealed, which character is your favorite DESIGN?

Favorite ARMS character design?

Results are only viewable after voting.
The reason Twintelle is popular is because of her ass because that's what most people talk about regarding her lol.

Its good that she's extremely popular though because it helps ARMS get some publicity. However, I wouldn't call her design the best or noteworthy in anyway.

I consider Spring Man one of the best designs because he gives of a timeless old school design (Also I'm liking Kid Cobra due to how extrinsic and detailed his design is in replicating a Cobra). Also out of all the females Mechanica is the best because she gives off a Disney quality design especially when she's out of her suit.

LotusHD

Banned
A character doesn't get popular just because of sex appeal, there's about a million characters that are made with if not solely with sex appeal in mind, doesn't mean they are popular, they may not even b3 all that popular in their own series

Low-key people actually voted for her because she has regular arms. Just this once, GAF wanted to be rebellious.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Yeah, I don't think Twintelle appeals to a lot of people JUST because of the big butt.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah, I don't think Twintelle appeals to a lot of people JUST because of the big butt.

Yup, there's the fact that she's a PoC, has regular arms that are actually visible, can float in mid-air, is reminiscent of a Jojo character with that hair, etc. Also now that I think about it, she has the best mask imo. Also other than Min Min, the other designs just aren't that amazing to me, though I do agree with the sentiment that Spring Man looks like one of those simple, timeless designs, so he'd be #3 for me.

Though admittedly it's an extremely easy target to point out since GAF, and the internet by extension, is hella thirsty. We went through it with Min Min, now Twintelle's taking it to the next level.

Regardless, it's pretty funny to see actually bothering to say stuff like she's only winning because of my butt, so X character is the real best design, or something along those lines.

Like, it's just a poll guys...

soultron

Banned
Byte & Barq because of the ridiculous shit where they fuse together and Barq is the head. I'm a sucker for fun mecha designs.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Twintelle, no question. She just straight up looks the coolest.

Doorman

It's Kid Cobra. Sorry, not trying to be a nitpick, but I keep seeing people call him King, when it's Kid. :)

But my inner 12-year-old agrees: He's pretty rad!

Fixed for series consistency. ;P

Kid Cobra has grown on me a lot, though. I feel like he and Min Min both do the best job of incorporating all the elements of their particular themes together, both in visual design as well as body language and animation.

mugwhump

tumblr_oqa1aaw2xY1ulavcso1_540.jpg
Hahahaha

I voted for Spring Man, I really like his design. Its just so, it just fits with what I expect from Nintendo. Someone posted art of Arms as a SNES box, the artstyle can just translate to different time periods seamlessly. Also, from what we have learned of his personality, I like his character too.

Tunahead

Barq towers above the competition. That design is just too damn good. It has a lot of elements that all go together without feeling busy, and feels instantly classic. The off-white and blue, the red siren on top, the aviators and the wheel all work together to give it a police vibe without the need for symbols or text. The silhouette is instantly recognizable, not just among ARMS, but video games in general. It's a design that's easy to draw, which should resonate well with fan artists. It would have been real easy to fuck it up by giving Barq a German Shepherd head because that's the classic police dog, but I'm glad they sidestepped that pitfall because what we got has way more character. That character of course being "Sir, do you know how fast you were going back there?"

I feel like Barq really got screwed in the poll because he's dragged down by his partner. Byte is just a mess. One of the most unnecessarily busy designs. I looked away for a second and I already forgot what he looks like, particularly the disaster area that is his face. Everything that was done right with Barq was done wrong with Byte. He's even got the badge logo that says "this is how you can tell I'm supposed to be a cop".

Honorable mentions and why they lost:

Spring Man and Ribbon Girl have nice and simple sporty designs but all that really stands out is the hair. I particularly like Ribbon Girl's ribbon hair. Apart from that, they're just very familiar designs, Ribbon Girl especially. How many school uniform/cheerleader outfits have I seen on fighting game characters? She's even got the same color scheme as Karin Kanzuki! And the bicycle shorts!

Mechanica is another character who has a competent and sufficiently simple design but again it just feels too familiar.

I feel like Ninjara's design is technically sound and it doesn't immediately make me think of a dozen other fighting game characters, but there's just something subtly wrong about him. Maybe the use of colors is just barely too much.

Twintelle is a really solid design when it comes to the use of color, shape and originality, and she stands out from the competition with her hair fists. She's no Barq though. Barq is a miracle of design. Barq destroys all competition. Sorry Twintelle, you were a really good second place.

I HAVE SPOKEN.

Neiteio

Barq towers above the competition. That design is just too damn good. It has a lot of elements that all go together without feeling busy, and feels instantly classic. The off-white and blue, the red siren on top, the aviators and the wheel all work together to give it a police vibe without the need for symbols or text. The silhouette is instantly recognizable, not just among ARMS, but video games in general. It's a design that's easy to draw, which should resonate well with fan artists. It would have been real easy to fuck it up by giving Barq a German Shepherd head because that's the classic police dog, but I'm glad they sidestepped that pitfall because what we got has way more character. That character of course being "Sir, do you know how fast you were going back there?"

I feel like Barq really got screwed in the poll because he's dragged down by his partner. Byte is just a mess. One of the most unnecessarily busy designs. I looked away for a second and I already forgot what he looks like, particularly the disaster area that is his face. Everything that was done right with Barq was done wrong with Byte. He's even got the badge logo that says "this is how you can tell I'm supposed to be a cop".

Honorable mentions and why they lost:

Spring Man and Ribbon Girl have nice and simple sporty designs but all that really stands out is the hair. I particularly like Ribbon Girl's ribbon hair. Apart from that, they're just very familiar designs, Ribbon Girl especially. How many school uniform/cheerleader outfits have I seen on fighting game characters? She's even got the same color scheme as Karin Kanzuki! And the bicycle shorts!

Mechanica is another character who has a competent and sufficiently simple design but again it just feels too familiar.

I feel like Ninjara's design is technically sound and it doesn't immediately make me think of a dozen other fighting game characters, but there's just something subtly wrong about him. Maybe the use of colors is just barely too much.

Twintelle is a really solid design when it comes to the use of color, shape and originality, and she stands out from the competition with her hair fists. She's no Barq though. Barq is a miracle of design. Barq destroys all competition. Sorry Twintelle, you were a really good second place.

I HAVE SPOKEN.
Yo, I like Byte! He has those adorable Short Circuit eyes and tube lips, not to mention the old-timey British police hat. The windup keys and clockwork on his shoulders are also great touches. But his best quality is perhaps his movement, his upper torso shifting separate from his tin soldier legs when he changes directions. Just a great design, and together with Barq, an amazing one.

Tunahead

Maybe I'm being too hard on Byte because he's standing adjacent to Best Video Game Dog. His design is way too busy, though. His foot alone has like 20 separate elements. That's some Michael Bay Transformers shit. And I don't like the clockwork keys. They just feel superfluous, and make the design feel more artificial.

I will say that even the designs I don't like look a lot better in motion. I think video game stills get too much critique in general. It's a visual medium that's designed to be seen in motion.

Barq still looks great in his publicity stills, though. He's very photogenic.

Neiteio

Maybe I'm being too hard on Byte because he's standing adjacent to Best Video Game Dog. His design is way too busy, though. His foot alone has like 20 separate elements. That's some Michael Bay Transformers shit. And I don't like the clockwork keys. They just feel superfluous, and make the design feel more artificial.

I will say that even the designs I don't like look a lot better in motion. I think video game stills get too much critique in general. It's a visual medium that's designed to be seen in motion.

Barq still looks great in his publicity stills, though. He's very photogenic.
Well OK, but... just remember that when you're at the beach and some hooligan kicks sand on your ice cream, it's Beach Patrolman Byte who will bring them to justice. He's the cop bot who cares.

Neiteio

Just noticed in the Direct that when they show Helix's Ice Dragon, its art is a blue dragon head, but in game he's wielding a green dragon head (but it still clearly has an ice effect). I wonder if the footage was taken before they made it blue?

Yo, I like Byte! He has those adorable Short Circuit eyes and tube lips, not to mention the old-timey British police hat. The windup keys and clockwork on his shoulders are also great touches. But his best quality is perhaps his movement, his upper torso shifting separate from his tin soldier legs when he changes directions. Just a great design, and together with Barq, an amazing one.
Huh... I always saw the pipes across his face as a huge handlebar moustache :eek:
Like this:

Neiteio

I really want these two in Smash Bros

But I also want Min Min in Smash Bros

And I also want Twintelle in Smash Bros

And I also want Mechanica in Smash Bros

And I also want Spring Man in Smash Bros

And Spring Man should have a Ribbon Girl alt but Ribbon Girl has unique jumping so she should really be her own clone of Spring Man with modified properties

*deep breath*

Basically, all 10 ARMS fighters should be in Smash Bros! /reasonable

Neiteio

These art really gives these character some personality.

In really loving this art.

Edit: Holy crap I didn't realize they could shorten their stretchy arms to make them look like normal arms. That's really cool.
In the art with Spring Man turning on the TV, his one arm is also shortened like a normal arm. Seems they can tighten up their coils to be one solid shape.

Neiteio

Regarding ARMS reps in Smash:

While she's not one of my favorites, the more I think about it, the more I see Mechanica being Sakurai's second pick after Spring Man.

Trying to look at it as Sakurai might, Mechanica stands out in a number of ways on the Smash roster.

She's a female child, plucky and adorable, but also a heavyweight, thanks to her suit. She's a brunette, and her suit has an eye-catching bright yellow color scheme. One of her signature weapons, the Revolver, is unique in how it fires multiple gloves at once; her Homie is a perfect side special, and her Whammer is the very definition of a smash attack. Her suit's bulky silhouette instantly stands out, and her limited hover ability seems tailor-made for Smash. Plus, I can already picture screenshots of her fighting Smash's other mech user, Bowser Jr.

I also get the vibe from Mechanica that, if there were an ARMS anime, she'd be the main character. She's a child inventor who idolizes the ARMS fighters and builds her own robo suit in the scrapyard to join the tournament. As the only character on the roster without the "Gift of ARMS," she's almost like the everyman meant to represent the player in this fantastical world of stretchy appendages.

While it's tempting to say "Add Min Min, add Twintelle, add everyone," I feel like after Spring Man, Mechanica might have the best shot. Beyond those two, a Spring Man clone in the form of Ribbon Girl (Luigi-fied, of course) also seems quite plausible.

While she's not one of my favorites, the more I think about it, the more I see Mechanica being Sakurai's second pick after Spring Man.

Trying to look at it as Sakurai might, Mechanica stands out in a number of ways on the Smash roster.

She's a female child, plucky and adorable, but also a heavyweight, thanks to her suit. She's a brunette, and her suit has an eye-catching bright yellow color scheme. One of her signature weapons, the Revolver, is unique in how it fires multiple gloves at once; her Seekie Homie is a perfect side special, and her Whammer is the very definition of a smash attack. Her suit's bulky silhouette instantly stands out, and her limited hover ability seems tailor-made for Smash. Plus, I can already picture screenshots of her fighting Smash's other mech user, Bowser Jr.

I also get the vibe from Mechanica that, if there were an ARMS anime, she'd be the main character. She's a child inventor who idolizes the ARMS fighters and builds her own robo suit in the scrapyard to join the tournament. As the only character on the roster without the "Gift of ARMS," she's almost like the everyman meant to represent the player in this fantastical world of stretchy appendages.

While it's tempting to say "Add Min Min, add Twintelle, add everyone," I feel like after Spring Man, Mechanica might have the best shot. Beyond those two, a Spring Man clone in the form of Ribbon Girl (Luigi-fied, of course) also seems quite plausible.

Fixt the weapon name :3

I think Mechanica is cool admittedly so I wouldn't begrudge her making an appearance, but I still think we'll just get lumped with spring mac :p

emb

While it's tempting to say "Add Min Min, add Twintelle, add everyone,"
They could make a whole fighting game spinoff just from the characters in this game. :p

While I love the character designs in this game, I think Springman is enough for Smash honestly. Regardless, I love when Nintendo makes a completely new game and it's immediately obvious that the characters are going to be in Smash (like with Pikmin and Splatoon). It's probably my favorite part of Nintendo making new IP, lol.

LotusHD

Banned

She's a female child, plucky and adorable, but also a heavyweight, thanks to her suit. She's a brunette, and her suit has an eye-catching bright yellow color scheme. One of her signature weapons, the Revolver, is unique in how it fires multiple gloves at once; her Homie is a perfect side special, and her Whammer is the very definition of a smash attack. Her suit's bulky silhouette instantly stands out, and her limited hover ability seems tailor-made for Smash. Plus, I can already picture screenshots of her fighting Smash's other mech user, Bowser Jr.

Meh, someone could say something just as convincing for Twintelle and Min Min. They're just all so cool lol

wedca

Y'all think any of these characters will make their way into Mariokart?

I feel like Mechanica is a natural fit, what with her affinity for machinery.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't know I'm liking Mechanica's design far more than Min Min and Twintelle when she's out of her suit.

Well that's fine, but I was just saying that eh, it's a lot of words to say "I think Mechanica might actually be the character introduced into Smash." (Ugh, totally comes off as rude when I type it like that)It sounds convincing, but meh, someone could probably say something just as compelling for the other two.

---

Mechanica for Mario Kart sounds like an awesome idea though.

Top Bottom