• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Housemarque (Resogun) added PC due to console sale difficulties, talks future games

Quonny

There's a reason why Sony has backed off indie publishing and instead focused on first party, third party exclusives, and third party promotion.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If Sony choose to stop publishing their game one day, Sony will stop promoting them so much as well. Before that happened, they are taking the necessary step to grow their audience base elsewhere to make up for the lack of Sony marketing.

What do you mean? They are not remaining independent because they like to. They are doing it as an insurance in case Sony stop publishing their game due to lowering sales, and they ended up having no ip which they can use to sell their game.

If they joined the umbrella, they're not simply going to stop publishing Housemarque games because they finance the studios as opposed to just publishing them. The way it is now, they get published, and they do get the goodies of advertising and money, but Sony could now stop publishing their games since they're not actually part of the umbrella. I feel it would be good for them if they were a part of it because it would provide a unique part of their line-up that none of the other studios do, and their games, though higher budget for what they are (and I'm happy there are), are not as costly as the AAA titles Sony publishes.

They already have a good relationship, and while not every developer under every publisher is a success story, you have studios like Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, and Sucker punch that are bigger and more successful now than 10 years ago, and you have studios like Bend that are bigger and moving into newer studios.

Again, it's not a guaranteed future for them, but neither is remaining independent and trying to promote your game yourselves. The reason I mention this for Housemarque is because of their long relationship with Sony and the unique games they provide in their published library.

Ivan

I think most of the faster paces dual stick shooters are better on mouse anyway. I bought Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon on console but I only ever play them on PC because it feels much better to aim with a mouse. Nex Machina has small arenas so maybe it doesn't matter.

You might be more precise that way, but the feel of the game is changed completely . They feel empty and weightless on the mouse. Unplayable for me personally.

Resistance and analog nature of the sticks really make these games enjoyable. You really feel the game mechanics.

Thay're called twin stick shooters for a reason.

ArtHands

If they joined the umbrella, they're not simply going to stop publishing their games because they finance the studios. The way it is now, they get published, and they do get the goodies of advertising and money, but Sony could now stop publishing their games since they're not actually part of the umbrella. I feel it would be good for them if they were a part of it because it would provide a unique part of their line-up that none of the other studios do, and their games, though higher budget for what they are (and I'm happy there are), are not as costly as the AAA titles Sony publishes.

They already have a good relationship, and while not every developer under every publisher is a success story, you have studios like Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, and Sucker punch that are bigger and more successful now than 10 years ago, and you have studios like Bend that are bigger and moving into newer studios.

Again, it's not a guaranteed future for them, but neither is remaining independent and trying to promote your game yourselves. The reason I mention this for Housemarque is because of their long relationship with Sony and the unique games they provide in their published library.

What umbrella are you talking about? Honest question.
Naughty Dog, Guerrilla and Sucker Punch are owned by Sony, because Sony choose to purchase and take over control of them, therefore making them first party studios. I don't think Sony approach Housemarque and offer to buy them at all, and Housemarque has got no control over anything if Sony doesn't want to make them first party.

LAA

Sad to hear that. Interested in all of Housemarque's games automatically now and it's essentially guaranteed I'll enjoy it anytime I pick it up.

Thought Sony would have picked them up actually, Resogun seemed quite a heavy hit on the PS4 launch and that would "fill a gap" in their library for twin stick shooters anyway?

I'm sure they'll end up fine anyway, haven't seen any real complaints for their games.

What umbrella are you talking about? Honest question.
Naughty Dog, Guerrilla and Sucker Punch are owned by Sony, because Sony choose to purchase and take over control of them, therefore making them first party studios. I don't think Sony approach Housemarque and offer to buy them at all, and Housemarque has got no control over anything if Sony doesn't want to make them first party.

Sony Worldwide Studios as I said in the first post.

I know that Sony has to buy them, lol. That's the point I'm making. If they're able to get into that umbrella, I think it would be beneficial for them considering besides a couple of games, they've been a de facto WWS so far, but this would give them more security considering the flood of games on Steam and the unpredictability as to how gamers will react to pure digital games.

LordRaptor

Thay're called twin stick shooters for a reason.

yes, and that reason is this:
81c15eedbffd316b6f398963ccb4b028.jpg

Almost nobody is playing these games like this

Everdred

I loved Super Stardust HD, Outland and Resogun but all their other games are basically the same concepts over and over, no surprise they aren't big hits.

ArtHands

Sony Worldwide Studios as I said in the first post.

I know that Sony has to buy them, lol. That's the point I'm making. If they're able to get into that umbrella, I think it would be beneficial for them considering besides a couple of games, they've been a de facto WWS so far, but this would give them more security considering the flood of games on Steam and the unpredictability as to how gamers will react to pure digital games.

I thought you were asking why they didnt want to join the umbrella. Well guessing Sony figure its cheaper to just contract them instead of getting them on board.

Atomski

I doubt that.

in addition, about indie games – https://galyonk.in/on-indiepocalypse-what-is-really-killing-indie-games-3da3c3a1ea76

and this also:

n9IaKW9.png

Mostly the same on PC as well. SteamSpy data for 2016:

3DgQGTm.png

.. that is not a good example at all. Sure a 60 dollar made by 100s of people is going to make a ton of money.. it has to.

I think Stardew Valley is a perfect example of a small indie game making fat bank on PC. It sold a ton.. yet was also released on PS4 with little to no buzz at all. I'd love to see the sale differences.

Games not selling well have nothing to do with their quality.

Where did I say that? Dead Nation and Alienation under performed both critically AND commercially. Averaging less than 80 is not good enough to stand out within the digital market place, where there are 100s of games better than yours, and consumer attach rates suppose that each consumer buys no more than 10 games.

If each consumer buys less than a dozen games, and your game is worse than 100s of others, then why would they buy your game over others? A huge, and neglected component of why their most recent games have under performed is because the studio are not consistency delivering extremely high quality titles.

dracula_x

.. that is not a good example at all. Sure a 60 dollar made by 100s of people is going to make a ton of money.. it has to.

I think Stardew Valley is a perfect example of a small indie game making fat bank on PC. It sold a ton.. yet was also released on PS4 with little to no buzz at all. I'd love to see the sale differences.

What other examples do you need? You can't ignore numbers.

Big budget games is way more popular than indies on PC.

I doubt that.

in addition, about indie games – https://galyonk.in/on-indiepocalypse-what-is-really-killing-indie-games-3da3c3a1ea76

and this also:

n9IaKW9.png

Mostly the same on PC as well. SteamSpy data for 2016:

3DgQGTm.png

I don't know what this proves.

Almost all of the well known platforms are dominated by the more popular games.(usually from third parties)

Indie devs put games their games on Steam, HB, GOG, and Origin to name a few...they'll find themselves in a much better position than just simply selling on Steam.

LordRaptor

What other examples do you need? You can't ignore numbers.

Big budget games is way more popular than indies on PC.

That is a revenue chart, so it automatically skews towards listing titles with a higher purchase price as generating more revenue, because 1 million sales of a $60 title will always generate more revenue than 5 million sales of a $10 title, but that doesn't mean that a million cpies sold is 'more popular' than 5 million copies sold.

Shai-Tan

Banned
As for Housemarque in particular, i feel that they have been making a very similar type of game over and over and this type of game isn't as popular as it used to be. They branched out to another style of game only once with Outland and i feel it was by far their best game. So maybe it's time to ttry something different...?

Also, i hope that going pc will be a succes for them but i have a feeling that Steam is getting swamped by indie games aswell. So i'm wondering if they will manage to stand out on that platform. Though it has to be said that Steam prices are lower than console prices so customers might be more tempted to give it a go.

Maybe Alienation was just not that good? Or the direction they chose for it wasn't as interesting as the trend towards roguelikes e.g. Enter the Gungeon has 700k+ players and Nuclear Throne has 500k+ only on Steam. Maybe Alienation would have been successful with its polish but considering all the other dual stick/arena type shooters I get recommended it seems like a star based economics with a winner take all element i.e. the few best games get most of the sales.

PantsuJo

The makeup of this forum is primarily 18-35 NA console owners and they have little interest or exposure to games that do not target that demographic.
Consequently they have little understanding of just how large and diverse the PC market is (and how healthy), and it is that size and diversity that allows niche genres and titles to thrive, even amongst a sea of competition.
Well, it seems so, sadly :(

dracula_x

The makeup of this forum is primarily 18-35 NA console owners and they have little interest or exposure to games that do not target that demographic.
Consequently they have little understanding of just how large and diverse the PC market is (and how healthy), and it is that size and diversity that allows niche genres and titles to thrive, even amongst a sea of competition.

not for indie dev – http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860374

Fifty-seven percent of indie game developers (including both solo indies and members of indie teams) made under $500 in game sales. On the other end of the spectrum, 2 percent made over $200,000 in game sales.

Though, It can be applied for any platform, including mobile.

not for indie dev

This is a number derived from super-open platforms where a low price of entry means huge numbers of people can enter with marginal products. It's extremely relevant to the question of your odds of success as a brand-new, 1-5 person indie startup, but not really relevant to the question of how a larger or more established dev will do or whether a platform is "healthy" for indie devs.

Top Bottom