• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Games: The Final PS I Love You XOXO

El-Suave

So what's a good PlayStation podcast? I tend to spend most of my time on my PS4, and I really appreciated listening to the rundown of all the new game releases. Even though I visit NeoGAF like all the time, I still found out about new things from the podcast. I don't know why they can't do a new PSX podcast but whatever. I still consume as much Kinda Funny as I can, because I find Greg, Tim, and Nick extremely fun to listen to and watch (oh and floating head Kevin too).

Most non retro podcasts are de facto Playstation podcasts because that's where a lot of the new releases are and it's the default console for most journalists this generation. Lately Switch has disrupted things but once the new console factor has worn off a bit that topic will be less prevalent and you can listen to lots of shows as quasi Playstation shows.

Ouch. How has KF been doing since Colin left?

Fine, actually. Not much substance or dynamic viewpoints, though. They're better when they have a guest on. I like EZA a ton more even though they have lower production values. Game Scoop's actually pretty good too.

Apples_89

Colin's absence from the shows has resulted in a gaping void in the general flow of their group conversations. Regardless of how you feel about his convictions, every time he voices his opinion, he speaks with an elevated level of foresight and passion which is thoroughly engaging to listen to. Similar to what many people have already expressed, I also find myself more withdrawn from Kinda Funny's content, dispite wanting to believe that nothing has changed.

decisions

Colin was making the show, and KF. I stopped following them when Colin left, too bad I really liked the show.

The week before he left he had all those interviews too and they were great...He even picked people because they disagreed with him on certain things (like Adam Boyes). Combine that with Colin Was Right, PS I Love You, and the topics he brought up on the other shows and without him KF is just kinda...well its something...I hope they figure it out. Even though Greg and Colin aren't friends anymore I still have a huge soft spot for both of them so, best of luck.

Tripon

Quite the opposite. It's been much better without that sad sack dragging down the mood of the podcast with his utter lack of enthusiasm.

Yet the series is ending? Greg just admitted that the podcast isn't as good as it should be.

MrS

Banned
Colin was making the show, and KF. I stopped following them when Colin left, too bad I really liked the show.
Agreed. Colin was the best thing about KF and now that he's gone, I don't have a reason to watch it anymore. Tim and Kevin are fucking annoying, too.

Glad they've killed PSILY.

Enjoyed Colin's passion and insight...they complimented each other really well. Colin was a wealth of knowledge and I was loving those interviews he started at the end. I've stopped listening to KF on the whole but will visit from time to time (likely around E3).

Maximo

Quite the opposite. It's been much better without that sad sack dragging down the mood of the podcast with his utter lack of enthusiasm.

Colin have you played the latest game this week? *Why yes I have..half an hour of it its ok I guess, but games these days are not as good NOW MEGAMAN that was a good game!* *That is great and all but what about this political topic"
Every single Gamecast/GameOverGreggy for the last few months when Colin was on it was clear he wasn't interested anymore and was dragging the Podcast down, Its hard losing a member in your Podcast especially one you bounce off on I think it will improve once they get another member.

He was a smart guy, but I probably was going to stop listening/supporting soon because of him.
I actually listen more now than before, though I'm not sure how related that is.

He was just mean to people and tried to play victim if called out for it.
It was pointless.

Hope the replacement podcast is good, because I really miss the show.

Kill3r7

The week before he left he had all those interviews too and they were great...He even picked people because they disagreed with him on certain things (like Adam Boyes). Combine that with Colin Was Right, PS I Love You, and the topics he brought up on the other shows and without him KF is just kinda...well its something...I hope they figure it out. Even though Greg and Colin aren't friends anymore I still have a huge soft spot for both of them so, best of luck.

I did not listen to much KF but the Boyes interview was one of the best VG related podcast last year. Really insightful and very interesting. Adam Boyes has really grown on me.

bobawesome

Whats up with EA Fans using other threads like this to promote their website all the time?

This post clearly aims at derailing this thread which is about the final episode of a long lasting PlayStation Podcast.

Seriously. It just makes me not want to interact with their content in any way when fans spam up every thread with them.

I get that people enjoyed Colin for his opinion but how can you listen to a guy whose's always negative. His negative presence always brought down the atmosphere of Kinda Funny. I don't know why but after he left IGN he had become more and more apathetic towards video game.

Guess that's why he left the video game industry.

Strings

I like how when Colin was on Kinda Funny, GAF would give him so much shit about how they hate how he's always negative and his take on a lot of things. And now that he's pretty much left the industry "everyone's" pining after him. haha.

Just an interesting observation.
Well, as someone who hasn't enjoyed KF for roughly 2 years now, I barely notice a difference in the product with Colin gone. Guy barely spoke, especially in the lead up to his leaving, other than to be authoratively wrong roughly 70% of the time.

Idk why but I have kind of stopped noticing their content since Colin left. Maybe it's a YouTube thing that it doesn't show in my subscriptions as much.

paulogy

I miss Colin talking about games, and I'll miss Greg and Colin talking about PlayStation games in depth. They had a good run but all good things must come to an end, I guess.

Really looking forward to seeing how Kinda Funny fills in that gap.

decisions

Wow, is that true? The breakup seemed so amicable, but they're not friends anymore??

Colin has opened up a bit more on Facebook and recently on a libertarian (Tom Woods Show) podcast, and it seems like it was not as amicable as everyone made it out to be. I am shocked that Colin came on KF one more time for one last GameOverGreggy show. On Facebook, Colin implied that he tried to avoid being in the apartment until he moved (https://www.facebook.com/appealtoheaven/posts/10103490654756699).

Factual evidence to support that they are not good terms is the fact that he did acknowledge Greg Miller's wedding or this final PSILY. Actually, I don't think I've seen Colin interact with anyone from KF since the split on Twitter (which used to happen often).

These are all assumptions of course so I take them with a big grain of salt, but it doesn't look good to me. I think it will be loooong time before they reunite in some way, if that happens.

Jeels

Colin has opened up a bit more on Facebook and recently on a libertarian (Tom Woods Show) podcast, and it seems like it was not as amicable as everyone made it out to be. I am shocked that Colin came on KF one more time for one last GameOverGreggy show. On Facebook, Colin implied that he tried to avoid being in the apartment until he moved (https://www.facebook.com/appealtoheaven/posts/10103490654756699).

Factual evidence to support that they are not good terms is the fact that he did acknowledge Greg Miller's wedding or this final PSILY. Actually, I don't think I've seen Colin interact with anyone from KF since the split on Twitter (which used to happen often).

These are all assumptions of course so I take them with a big grain of salt, but it doesn't look good to me. I think it will be loooong time before they reunite in some way, if that happens.

Oh god, he mentions bootstraps in his post *barf*...

It's weird, because I support getting rid of Colin with his political composure and fanbase he was garnering becoming untenable, but at the same time, he was a big draw for the brand. I stopped listening after Colin left. I feel like I should've supported Kinda Funny after he left, but I was never fully on board with Tim, Nick, and Kevin and the shows were stale.

Oh god, he mentions bootstraps in his post *barf*...

"Bootstraps" as an argument for policy is stupid, but there's no reason to encourage hard work paying off and being proud of it.

Mikey Jr.

Ouch. How has KF been doing since Colin left?

They are losing subscribrs on their youtube in the double digits per day. Rarely are there any days when they gain subs.

Their patreon has also crashed. They lost a LOT of money.

Right now, KF is kind of spiraling down in terms of their business side.

Tagg9

I get that people enjoyed Colin for his opinion but how can you listen to a guy whose's always negative. His negative presence always brought down the atmosphere of Kinda Funny. I don't know why but after he left IGN he had become more and more apathetic towards video game.

Guess that's why he left the video game industry.

Colin wasn't always negative, although I'll admit he was often apathetic. But this simply made him seem human. Contrast that with someone like Greg, whose constant fake "everything is awesome!" mantra consistently grated on me.

decisions

They are losing subscribrs on their youtube in the double digits. Rarely are there any days when they gain subs.

Their patreon has also crashed. They lost a LOT of money.

Right now, KF is kind of spiraling down in terms of their business side.

Also the morale of their fanbase is way down. I feel like their are a ton of people who have interest in the company due to the amount of time they devoted to them in the past, but don't enjoy them anymore. The Kinda Funny Reddit page is really negative :/

Someone on their did just mention though that apparently in this PSILY (I haven't listened all the way through yet) Greg mentions that him and Colin did a preview of the next Housemarque game (Nex Machina) which I really hope gets released. Probably won't though tbh.

meanspartan

I like how when Colin was on Kinda Funny, GAF would give him so much shit about how they hate how he's always negative and his take on a lot of things. And now that he's pretty much left the industry "everyone's" pining after him. haha.

Just an interesting observation.

GAF has thousands of users. Different people being loud at different times.

meanspartan

It's weird, because I support getting rid of Colin with his political composure and fanbase he was garnering becoming untenable, but at the same time, he was a big draw for the brand. I stopped listening after Colin left. I feel like I should've supported Kinda Funny after he left, but I was never fully on board with Tim, Nick, and Kevin and the shows were stale.

"Bootstraps" as an argument for policy is stupid, but there's no reason to encourage hard work paying off and being proud of it.

Haha and herein lies the problem.

Aces&Eights

Colin wasn't always negative, although I'll admit he was often apathetic. But this simply made him seem human. Contrast that with someone like Greg, whose constant fake "everything is awesome!" mantra consistently grated on me.

So much this.

Mezoly

That ending was something else.

PSILY was my favorite gaming podcast but I feel it never reached the heights of Beyond with Clements and Goldfarb. It still was the best PS dedicated podcast.

Regardless of what happened, it was clear to me that Colin was burned out of games for the last year and it hurt the quality of the show. You can't have gaming podcasts when one of the members is no longer playing them. He even mentioned on Twitter that he hasn't played video games since he left Kinda Funny so his heart is not in games anymore. Colin was always cynical but he backed them by actually playing the games. You can't be an aggressive critic without playing the game it felt forced and often erroneous.

Not to mention Tim is quite a bit like this as well. There's just no balance.

PSILY was my favorite gaming podcast but I feel it never reached the heights of Beyond with Clements and Goldfarb. It still was the best PS dedicated podcast.

Regardless of what happened, it was clear to me that Colin was burned out of games for the last year and it hurt the quality of the show. You can't have gaming podcasts when one of the members is no longer playing them. He even mentioned on Twitter that he hasn't played video games since he left Kinda Funny so his heart is not in games anymore.

He only stopped playing because of all the other stuff in his life that was going on at the time. I'm pretty sure he started playing again recently.

Regardless of what happened, it was clear to me that Colin was burned out of games for the last year and it hurt the quality of the show. You can't have gaming podcasts when one of the members is no longer playing them. He even mentioned on Twitter that he hasn't played video games since he left Kinda Funny so his heart is not in games anymore.

Man, I can't think of a single gaming podcast that can fucking touch Beyond with Greg, Colin, and Goldfarb. Not a single fucking one

Mezoly

He only stopped playing because of all the other stuff in his life that was going on at the time. I'm pretty sure he started playing again recently.
But in previous podcasts he often said he was in a rut and he would get out of it eventually. In later podcasts he would often say he didn't play anything that week.

But in previous podcasts he often said he was in rut and he would get out of it eventually. In later podcasts he would often say he didn't play anything that week.

Im just saying he wasn't "not playing anything" for the last week he was on at least. Only reason he stopped after he left KF was because of other things he started to do. I think he's said as much too.

Strings

Man, I can't think of a single gaming podcast that can fucking touch Beyond with Greg, Colin, and Goldfarb. Not a single fucking one
The Clements era tho! Discovering how to rollerblade in a dream and being mistaken for a girl over the phone while trying to learn archery are legendary moments.

Colin was becoming bad for the show. He made lazy, oftentimes factually incorrect arguments and was quite confrontational with guests who didn't agree with him. Him leaving was good for Kinda Funny overall.

The problem is that they didn't replace him with someone who balances out Tim and Greg. Tim and Greg are very positive and enthusiastic about everything, and also very surface-level in their discussions about games specifically. They need someone who is knowledgeable and differs from them.

Top Bottom