• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Previews

Servbot24

Banned
What constitutes a "real" campaign? Don't you want more variety than just typical dull GT races? Also there are races in the campaign.

If you find racing in GT dull then why would you even buy the game?

For the people who do buy the game, yes, races would be great. And there should be challenges in addition to that. Past GTs already had similar modes with licence tests.

Comes from being tone deaf and not even understanding nor being able to tell the difference between the growl of a V8 Vs the drone of a V12. I.e. don't even bother

139035361828.png

For racing against the AI there is still the arcade mode (not much info on that one), but yeah the campaign looks like basically a big tutorial.

Jeez are they serious

The main thing I have loved with the GT series (actually the one serie I have followed the longest) is the campaign and sense of progression

I HATE tutorials

When they said it would still have a proper campaign I actually believed it. Not giving up all hope

Comes from being tone deaf and not even understanding nor being able to tell the difference between the growl of a V8 Vs the drone of a V12. I.e. don't even bother

Lol

The sounds are very good. Where is that coming from?

90% of the cars I've heard so far still sound like GT3 samples to me. Those that are improved are decent but still sound overly synthesised and pretty clinical (Live for Speed and the AEM(?) stuff they used for GT6 come to mind).

And finally the cars that do sound like real recordings never sound like they're actually under load, it sounds like they just recorded a couple of rev samples in neutral and that's it.

A lot of people on GAF were saying it's basically the equivalent of GT7.

This game is a no buy for me based on single player content. Very disappointing, I was really looking forward to playing a new GT game.

Feel the same way as you. I'll be passing on this. Looks like yet another disappointing release in a once revered series. I feel like maybe it's time to boot Yosh and let him live his dream as a racer in peace.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My son asked me about this yesterday, knowing I've always bought GT. I said I wasn't sure if I'd get this one as I don't like online racing (forza is rage inducing for me with everyone using me as a handy brake on corners)

If the single player mode is scant I'll probably get Forza 7 instead

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What constitutes a "real" campaign? Don't you want more variety than just typical dull GT races? Also there are races in the campaign.

It is the worlds best selling racing series. So just maybe lots of people enjoyed those 'typical dull GT races'? And a wide range of cars not just super cars

I don't think anyone expected it would be a 'proper' campaign mode.

That's not true based on previous GT Sport threads. We were straight up told that we're wrong. This is just a glorified license training mode turned into "challenges".

I knew this game wouldn't have a proper campaign. Everyone saying those challenges are a good enough substitute can keep this. Not even a Driveclub esque campaign.

Hopefully they take the criticism and add a proper A-Spec along with their multiplayer advancements in future titles. PS4 is probably the worst console I've owned when it comes to racing games. Quite literally been sticking with Driveclub and it's DLC's and expansions for near 3 years now.

Best wishes.

MaDKaT

I wan't all my offline '* Cup. *Make, *Type' races. Start with 10K credits, race, collect, modify/tune, repeat, collect'a'thon. AI never bothered me, especially when the point system/bonus was working. I always hated the license test and challenges but suffered through them as means to an end to enter higher level races. This version of the series seems to be stripping out what I look forward to in the games while putthing heavy emphasis on the things I dislike. Been a very long time fan (since GT1) and while I do think the series needed a serious shot in the ass, this is certainly not what I am looking for. Seems rather than fix some of the issues that could make a better game (offline and online) they are stripping out 'problem areas' for online only type experience.

Game does look fantastic, in PD fashion but to me, it is not really a GT game anymore. Seems to be just a dressed up version of just the online portion of the last games.

bombshell

If you find racing in GT dull then why would you even buy the game?

For the people who do buy the game, yes, races would be great. And there should be challenges in addition to that. Past GTs already had similar modes with licence tests.

I find "racing" against the AI in GT dull. Racing the cars in GT is not dull.

There isn't anything resembling "racing" in typical GT races. Every race (to me) has always just been a dull over-taking exercise against braindead AI, because the template has always been to start way down the pack and reach first place within a small number of laps, which would not be possible if the AI was actually competitive.

When it comes to races with opponents content, there is no substitute to online racing for me and GT offers that, so why would I not buy it?

My son asked me about this yesterday, knowing I've always bought GT. I said I wasn't sure if I'd get this one as I don't like online racing (forza is rage inducing for me with everyone using me as a handy brake on corners)

GT Sport will luckily base your online opponents on your Sportsmanship rating, so within short time you should not be seeing such opponents, if you race clean yourself.

Loudninja

Some stuff from GT planet
Mission Challenge pits you against AI cars in driving challenges. These are both short sections of track and full lap missions. Again, the game breaks them up into blocks of eight, with a prize for each and 64 tests in total.
This section of this build includes four new, unknown tracks: Kyoto Driving Park Miyabi; Kyoto Driving Park Yamagiwa; Tokyo Expressway East Outer Loop; and ”BB Raceway". This version of the game renames the existing Tokyo circuit to Tokyo Expressway Central Outer Loop.
https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-single-player-scapes-social-functions/

-Amon-

Stilish as hell.

This is not need for speed presentation wise keep in mind.

Gimme, as fast as possible, thanks.

It sounds accurate. I could tell each car by their engine notes. Honestly, to me, that's perfect. Every car had their real sound signature. You could tell the McLaren, the GT-R, the Viper and the Aston apart, just from engine sound. To me, it's miles ahead of what GT did in the past.

Agreed... The Mclaren was especially recognizable for me because I used that same car in Driveclub a lot and here it sounds quite similar IMO
https://youtu.be/GBehWExCbDo?t=43s

Putty

God tier visually...Dragon bsckdrop looks vastly improved in the IGN vid...Tokyo night looks staggering! Can't wait...

Audioboxer

Nice. It'll do for now but hopefully a full blown GT7 including a full campaign isn't too far away.

GT6, Initial release date: 5 December 2013.

It's taken PD nearly 4 whole years to release a... cut down version of GT. Wooo! Yeah, this is why people salty about the campaign, lack of cars and possibly less tracks than normal are extra salty. It's not like it's, okay, this is a meaty prologue and GT7 will come in... 2018. It's PD-Time, it should be rivalling Valve-Time by now. Except for Valve usually manages to always put out critically acclaimed masterpieces, GT has been dipping in reviews for a few iterations now. I sense Sport will be even lower than 6.

We'll probably just be drip fed cars we were racing in as standard in GT5/6 (premiums) as paid for DLC now, and a few extra tracks, for the next 2~3 years. Maybe this is PD's "plan" all along, micro-transactions baby! Why release all the content we did in 5/6 for $60 when we can charge $60 for Sport and then charge for all the DLC?! Genius. We've been giving away too much for too long.

Except this isn't a new IP from a studio, such as DC, which understandably had to start out with something. This is GT, a series fans have pumped hundreds of millions into and PD already have all the assets from 5/6 (premium cars) done to an extent where they are easily continued into a PS4 release. How do other franchises manage to carry their cars over between generations... I wonder... But AB, it's SPORT, not 7! Yeah, PD's choice to do this, no one demanded they try and split the brand into two and it's certainly a bold move if this is what they think will get GT back on track from it's dips in form, critically. The fans largely stuck by 5/6 dropping in reviews, but now more than ever the fans are bickering amongst themselves at this change in direction and there are lots unhappy.

/salt

GT6, Initial release date: 5 December 2013.

It's taken PD nearly 4 whole years to release a... cut down version of GT. Wooo! Yeah, this is why people salty about the campaign, lack of cars and possibly less tracks than normal are extra salty. It's not like it's, okay, this is a meaty prologue and GT7 will come in... 2018. It's PD-Time, it should be rivalling Valve-Time by now. Except for Valve usually manages to always put out critically acclaimed masterpieces, GT has been dipping in reviews for a few iterations now. I sense Sport will be even lower than 6.

We'll probably just be drip fed cars we were racing in as standard in GT5/6 (premiums) as paid for DLC now, and a few extra tracks, for the next 2~3 years. Maybe this is PD's "plan" all along, micro-transactions baby! Why release all the content we did in 5/6 for $60 when we can charge $60 for Sport and then charge for all the DLC?! Genius. We've been giving away too much for too long.

Except this isn't a new IP from a studio, such as DC, which understandably had to start out with something. This is GT, a series fans have pumped hundreds of millions into and PD already have all the assets from 5/6 (premium cars) done to an extent where they are easily continued into a PS4 release. How do other franchises manage to carry their cars over between generations... I wonder...

/salt

Don't think there will be a GT7 until PS5. They'll just provide post launch support for the next 2 years before starting work on GT7. Oh well. Now's as good as time as any to give Project Cars and Forza a chance.

Don't think there will be a GT7 until PS5. They'll just provide post launch support for the next 2 years before starting work on GT7. Oh well. Now's as good as time as any to give Project Cars and Forza a chance.

This is essentially GT7. I'm glad they have removed the PS2 era assets and focusing on a smaller car/track count, but high quality. I'm sure they will get blasted in reviews for it, but it's for the better. Those that complain about the campaign/AI, we haven't been able to properly "race" AI in GT1-GT6. Glorified moving orange cones at best... Go race online. That is where the competition is.

muteki

My guess is DLC or they're reserving that for later entries. Probably got tired of being called a JDM cars simulator with their endless variations of the same car.

It sucks because so many of the other racing franchises are euro car simulators.

Harmen

So people telling me there was a campaign weren't right? A campaign as in actual race events and tournaments, you know, those we got since GT on the PS1.

Sorry, I am admittedly salty and this is a hard pass for me.

MaDKaT

Eh, wouldnt be the first time PD launches a mainline game near of after the release of the next console. Not that I expect it. I think this is a move to a "GT" as a service or even F2P micro-transaction hell series. Unfortunately I think it would work very well and be ridiculously profitable. Certainly looking forward to the next Forza for my GT fix and really hope PC2 is tuned well for VR since Im looking forward to racing COTA and compare.

Audioboxer

So people telling me there was a campaign weren't right? A campaign as in actual race events and tournaments, you know, those we got since GT on the PS1.

Sorry, I am admittedly salty and this is a hard pass for me.

Well, there is, but it's just not what some of us want. By all means what was in 5/6 could do with tweaking, improving and some streamlining, but this is like cutting back to studios "1st racing game ever". Like someone knocked the campaign out in the last 2 months. It's just hard to believe 4 years of work produces this.

Loudninja

Scapes

The previews also cover the advanced Scapes photomode system.

Polyphony Digital used advanced prototype cameras, co-developed with Sony's photography department, to capture and trace light sources at over 1,000 locations across the world. The Scape section splits these up into specific types, including natural vistas, road locations and race tracks. A special ”Editor's Choice" section includes Scapes that Kazunori Yamauchi — himself a keen photographer — chose as particular highlights.

A new vehicle positioning system allows the player to move the car and change the state of various lights and the steering angle. Camera settings include exposure, aperture, shutter speed and focus. After effects allow you to set film grain, vignette size and strength, and lens distortion and glare. You can even apply filters and color tone correction, or set the car in motion for an action shot within the Scape.

The team also hired the best automotive photographers in the world to refine the Scape system.
Social Features

Polyphony also showed details of the social interface for the first time. This area of the game has a public profile for each player. It shows data like Driver Rating (DR) and Sportsmanship Rating (DR), but also percentage completion, cars owned and miles driven. You'll also find details like how many custom liveries a player has created and see their public gallery. The screenshot also shows a ”level" ranking, although it's unclear what this is for at present.

We'll bring more details as we get them!
https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-single-player-scapes-social-functions/

Top Bottom