• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces: What did you expect/want from this game.

Mark1

Sonic Forces, this one game which people wanted to be Generations 2 then hate on it for being just that plus custom Avatars.

I don't get the Sonic fan base - isn't Generations 2 exactly what the majority of fans across the board wanted? You have the Boost gameplay and you have Classic gameplay (feels redundant after Mania though). What did fans want?

Did fans only want this game to be along the lines of Colours/Generations (minus Classic following Mania's release)? Or did they want something completely different? Closer to Adventure?

Despite classic Sonic fans not wanting 3D gameplay to go along the lines of Boost, it is a solid and enjoyable style which has worked for Sega over the years. It's a good alternative more suited to other fans of the franchise outside of the momentum based gameplay. And believe Sonic Team should keep working on it, make it feel less automated and open, Generations started it - and really hope Forces expands on it. And think they will, Modern's first level (despite being short and half 2D) did look expansive in routes in the later sections. Areas where you'd expect to die in previous games just lead you to a lower path. Really pleased to that come back.

Classic I will judge more when I see later levels, something about his physics feels different but Green Hill didn't really show how he'd play to the way it was laid out.

Hoping regardless of their styles that automation is reduced to what has been shown so far, one of the concerns I have so far. But it still looks like it'll be a good game. Not Mania good, but still fun.

Your thoughts on the game?

I want Adventure 3, Heroes 2, or Generations 2.

At least I'll likely get the latter to some degree, but probably not as good.

LordKano

I never wanted Generations 2 as the first one sucked, but Forces looks like it improves on the gameplay so that's cool.
What I want is some crazy cool fanservice like Adventure 1&2, over the top situations and sweet 3D gameplay.

FinalAres

It's too cheesy and lame looking story wise. Gameplay I expect it to be pretty good, but the horrible setting and to be honest the awful name get in the way.

Zalman

I wanted them to just have the 3D boost gameplay and refine it. Classic Sonic feels redundant now that we have Mania, which will likely do 2D much better. It just feels like Sonic Team has no idea how to move the series forward, so they're going the safest route possible.

SpokkX

It's too cheesy and lame looking story wise. Gameplay I expect it to be pretty good, but the horrible setting and to be honest the awful name get in the way.

Yeah the talking during the gameplay between sonic and his shitty friends - it is just sooo bad. Ruins everything else. Why do they even have this story crap DURING gameplay??

I also just want Adventure 3, or a non-boosting, exploratory Sonic game. Lost Worlds was a hopeful experiment marred by baffling level design choices and the tube level motif.

I want a hub world with interwoven stages and a fun epic plot in the SA1/Unleashed vein. I want a playable Sonic, Tails and Knuckles (Maybe Amy) with their own interconnected plots and perspectives

And no, Sonic 06 doesn't count, as it's basically an unfinished game.

Concerning Forces, I'm still pretty excited if not bored of the style. I enjoyed Generations, Unleashed and Colors, but am very worn out on the formula. I'm still going to be day 1 for the game though.

Yeah the talking during the gameplay between sonic and his shitty friends - it is just sooo bad. Ruins everything else. Why do they even have this story crap DURING gameplay??

"you know how people hated hearing "it looks like a homing shot" from every member of the sonic cast during the generations final boss? What if we did that every stage?"- someone at sega.

I was hoping for Generations 2 but with new levels like Unleashed and Colours, and for the 2D sections to play more like the classic games than the Dimps stuff.

dan2026

I expect it to be another mediocre to bad Sonic game.
Hopefully the character creator will provide a few laughs.

wrowa

I found Sonic Generation's classic level design to be very bland and frankly boring. I don't see anything indicating that Forces will be any better in that regard. To the contrary, coming from Mania Forces' "classic only in name" classic levels might be even more grating. Also, Forces seems to be once again telling a story that takes itself way too seriously.

Personally, I'm also tired of modern Sonic's gameplay. I'd like to see them trying to change things up. (To be fair, they tried to do that with Lost World to not much success).

Mark1

Given Sega gave us the option to turn off Omochao in Generations hope they let us mute the side characters.

sonto340

I’m hoping the reason we haven’t seen anything outside of the first level is that they’re saving it as a surprise, but I’m worried there’s not much there and what is there isn’t great.

Marcel

Want: Less of Sonic's shitty friends
Expected: More of Sonic's shitty friends
Got: I have to make one of Sonic's shitty friends and that friend is my avatar

You're assuming all Sonic fans are the same when different people want different things.

I'm in the Generations 2 is ok for me camp. I already got the Sonic game of my dreams in Mania so Forces can do whatever it wants and I'll play it and enjoy bits I'm sure. I'm still not sold on the created character at all other than aesthetically but we'll see.

NotLiquid

My problem with Sonic's Unleashed formula and something I've been voicing ever since Colors and Generations is that after spending many, many hours replaying the best parts of Unleashed, the formula as a whole feels like a dead end, and the main reason for it is because I don't get the sense that it's easily iterated upon - something Sonic Team probably realized.themselves. In fact, the best iteration of that formula was Colors where, counterintuitively, they slowed the game down, and because of that could do some more intricate levels where a lot of it was supplemented by the Wisp powerups, which were actually novel and well executed in that game. But with Generations, Sonic Team are simply resting on their laurels. A large majority of Modern Sonic's levels felt no different than the many Sonic stages I spent hours playing in Unleashed but with a coat of nostalgia paint applied onto it, and Classic Sonic, especially now after Mania, was a wholly inferior execution of the momentum based gameplay the originals were defined by. Sonic Team might have had an excuse with Generations to take the completely safe route with a dodgy execution of the Classics, but by Forces that just doesn't apply any more. I'm tired of the formula and Classic Sonic's inclusion in that game feels incredibly cynical. There is no reason him, Green Hill and Egg Dragoon should be in this game.

Another problem I have with the Unleashed formula is that for all the effort these games take to make, especially Generations which took 3 years to make and the eventual combined effort of team members who worked on both Unleashed and Colors, the ensuing returns end up being horrendously short. Sonic blazes through these levels that are massive and take so much manpower to create, and yet, are over in a flash, so at the risk of the games becoming too easy to finish both Generations and Unleashed had padding. In the case of the former, that padding amounted to maybe only one extra hour of game time, while the latter amounted to too much extra time. It's hard to get the sense that Sonic Team know how to reconcile the effort to make a Sonic game of that formula with how much time they can get out of the player, so rather than iterate on the formula they double down on it with the bare essentials and conjure up distractions and supplemental content that stand in stark contrast to the main game's mentality. Make no mistake, even though I didn't think Lost World was great I at least found it a much more admirable game than Sonic Forces, because aside from it's design-by-committee artistic design/tropes, as well as terrible late game level design and controls, it at least tried to create something of a baseline that's easily iterated and had a no-bullshit focus on one playstyle from start to finish. It earned that to itself because the playstyle of the game was easily paced by design, and only had a few "gimmick" acts.

Under the boost formula, it feels like Sonic Team have to put in a lot of effort simply so they can be complacent. It's cheap thrills. Forces is emblematic of that complacency in everything from intent to design. More than that it becomes clear how Sonic Team just aren't confident in letting this modern version of Sonic carry a game on his own. The only spark of real inspiration I've felt so far from Forces is the character creator (of which the levels don't even look good) and the over the top cheesy narrative they're seemingly doing with things like Infinite's vocal theme, but other than that it just feels so tepid, safe and been-there-done-that. It's hard to get excited for a game that has, for the last year, felt like it's done nothing but done the bare minimum because the developers don't know how to handle the franchise and are just doubling down on what worked only because of a certain circumstance, and only at surface value, yet with no apparent improvements.

Kthulhu

A good 2D/3D platformer. Frankly I can't see how Sega could duplicate Sonic Mania's overall quality in Sonic Forces' 2D sections, and I'm worried they'll screw up the 3D sections.

Also I'm sure the story will be awful like every post unleashed game besides Colors

Mark1

You're assuming all Sonic fans are the same when different people want different things.
Where does it say I'm assuming all fans are the same? This is the most fragmented fan base I've seen in gaming. There are classic, adventure and modern fans (at least). So to have one game to suit all is never a good idea here (partially why I'm not keen on some of what Forces is trying to do)

I expect better physics espcially for classic sonic, he is like 75% canned physics when using slopes and springs compared to the 2D originals and mania.

Leflus

One of the things I liked about Generations was that it stripped away most of the story fluff and cheesy/edgyness that has plagued a lot of the modern Sonic games. Forces looks like it's going in the wrong direction again.

Aside from that, I'm willing to give Forces a try if the gameplay is as fun as it was in Generations.

AEREC

For Sonic and friends to not talk. I'm not a big Sonic fan anyways but I find that the lack of dialogue in Mania is a huge plus.

Kinsei

Banned
Either Adventure style, purely boost gameplay, or Generations 2.

Forces is none of those things and on top of that doesn't look good.

Vidiot

I'd like them to fix modern Sonics character. He acts too cheesy with lame jokes and just talks too much in general. He doesn't seem to have any of the "attitude" anymore either. Like if you look at Sonic in the opening of Mania or CD he just has a cool vibe to him. Not saying don't make him talk, just tone him down a bit.

Gameplay wise I honestly think I would have preferred if they built off the gameplay in Lost World. The boost gameplay is alright but it makes the stages too hallway like and is getting a bit stale imo.

Edit: As a side note I wonder why you can't preorder it at Amazon or game stop still. It was announced like a year ago and comes out aoon.

Kyari

I expect a standard Colours/Generations style Sonic that's an okay game, but also with a character creator.

jobrro

Expect pretty much Generations 2, based off what we have seen.

Would like some Adventure elements too but I don't think we will get them. Would love to see something like an Adventure-esque mode without the terrible side quests and medal collecting from '06/Unleashed but with story elements from modern games, but also a mode that omits those parts and focuses on shorter story elements or even 16-bit style where the story is shown but zero dialog and basically just gets on with the game play and main stages.

Hopefully they consulted with Mania team for ideas,, could help with classic Sonic's stages at least.

Voidwolf

I'm looking forward to more of a Generations 2 feel, I enjoyed that one a lot. I could without the classic bits tho.

Village

What I want?

What I wanted was just the 3d parts of unleashed and generations exspanded upon with other playable dudes.

What I exspect is bad game play and a bad story because they didn't focus on anything and trying to combine elements of sonic that don't go together. Along with a bunch of artistically bankrupt " remember this"

Sonic Forces, this one game which people wanted to be Generations 2 then hate on it for being just that plus custom Avatars.

I don't get the Sonic fan base - isn't Generations 2 exactly what the majority of fans across the board wanted? You have the Boost gameplay and you have Classic gameplay (feels redundant after Mania though). What did fans want?

what if

it doesn't matter if you get what you want

if it looks bad or underwhelming

like woah

Junahu

I want something that indicates that they actually progressed the series at all in the 4 years since Lost World.

I don't care how they do that, or even if the game is good or not. Hell, I'd love for Forces to be a unique pile of crap, because then at least it'd be something different.

I was expecting a complete revamp of Sonic 3D formula. No more hallways, full 3D movement, no fixed cámara, more exploration, pinball physics in 3D, great level desing, classic trio playable, all new zones, etc.

What it seems we're gonna get

Generations 2 at 60fps

Great Modern Sonic levels

Good Classic Sonic levels

Passable Avatar levels

Great music

Link with
Sonic Mania

It's a decent effort

Berordn

What I want is more boost Sonic.

What I expect is 1/3rd of a decent Boost game with Modern, a lackluster (particularly after Mania) but still somewhat competent 2D platformer with Classic, and hot steamy garbage with Avatar.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
What I wanted: A fully 3D Sonic game that expands on the excellent foundation laid by Modern Sky Sanctuary and Modern Seaside Hill, without needing to use 2D gameplay as a crutch.

What I expect: To be bored of the 2D shit that Sega doubled down on and will look even worse in light of Mania.

This will probably be the end of the Boost formula as Sega throws out the baby with the bathwater yet again, and we'll be in for half-assed experiments like Lost World and Boom for the foreseeable future. Also more Cartoon Network shit as far as story goes because Forces proves that's pretty much the only kind of storytelling that doesn't send people into fits.

Yukinari

I want something that indicates that they actually progressed the series at all in the 4 years since Lost World.

I don't care how they do that, or even if the game is good or not. Hell, I'd love for Forces to be a unique pile of crap, because then at least it'd be something different.

Considering its the same director as Lost World im kind of afraid of what might happen.

BiggNife

What I want: Generations 2. That's it. Just give me Generations with different levels and a better difficulty balance.

What I expect: A game that is wildly inconsistent in the vein of Sonic Unleashed. Some really good stuff (probably modern/classic Sonic) combined with filler that is okay at best (the weird create-a-character stuff).

I think it will review in the mid 70s and the narrative after its release will be whether Sonic Team should keep making Sonic games or if Sega should just hand the franchise over to Christian Whitehead/HeadCannon/PagodaWest.

Top Bottom