• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PC Engine is like an alternate reality

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Good lord, watched some vids on YT of this game. Now I hope that they will re-release it someday, after all Recca got on the 3DS Virtual Console too.

One of my main hopes for E3 is that Nintendo goes to town again on the Virtual Console.

They've hit the magic formula for old and new which is a side-effect of the hybrid concept. It's resurrecting games like Bomberman and Puyo Puyo, and all these old ones could shine again and be enjoyed and discovered once more.

Kain

That's not a PC Engine!

THIS is a PC Engine in all its awesome glory

NEC_PC_Engine_01.jpg

The original console is so tiny and the game cards just blew everyone's minds back in the late 80's. I have one, had it when it was still supported and it's a great console.

This looks sexy as fuck.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Lords Of Thunder is another game that looks far superior to the MegaDrive port:

https://youtu.be/5CcRY7-O7_0

Skip to 2:45 for the title screen if you want. Soundtrack is obscenely good for anyone who's never played this, they just seem to have gone what shall we do, let's just rock out, fuck yeah. Gate Of Thunder had a similar style but this was just nuts.

Fularu

Banned
That must be some grey/unofficial Japanese import. The official PAL release was a US style Turbografx (no 16 at the end) with a PAL modulator attachment.

Nopthing grey about it. SODIPENG means (in french) "SOciété D'Importation de la Pc ENGine (which translates to PC ENgine Import Company)

D.Lo

Nopthing grey about it. SODIPENG means (in french) "SOciété D'Importation de la Pc ENGine (which translates to PC ENgine Import Company)
That's what grey importing is lol. I just looked it up and they were grey importers. Unofficial. You cannot release a Japanese product as-is at retail in another country. The Turbografx was the only official PAL release.

Fularu

Banned
That's what grey importing is lol. I just looked it up and they were grey importers. Unofficial. You cannot release a Japanese product as-is at retail in another country. The Turbografx was the only official PAL release.

The site is mistaken. Sodipeng were the official distributors of the systems in France and Belgium. The name itself was created because NEC itself had no real presence in France (and most of the rest of Europe actually) at the time (Just like say, Mattel were the sold distributors of the NES in France for a few years when Nintendo had no presence here). They were RGB "modding" the japanese systems and selling them with french documentation (at the time, there were no laws preventing you from doing such things). They were also the sole distributors of the NeoGeo in France (as far as I remember). The Guillemot brothers were prety involved back then in anything gaming related.

Unless my good old friends at the time were just lying to me (I worked at AMIE LE Pro in Paris back in the day and would met with the SODIPENG representative every few months).

Tesser

Horizontal:

Parodius
R-Type
Gate Of Thunder (CD)
Winds/Lord Of Thunder (CD)
Gradius II (CD)

Vertical:

Gunhed
Super Star Soldier
Star Parodier (featuring man of the moment Bomberman!) (CD)
Nexzr (CD)

Hey don't forget Soldier Blade, which thankfully has been mentioned already (albeit in visual form) - easily one of my favourite shmups. Soundtrack, gameplay, challenge, art style, aesthetic...everything I want and look for in the genre.

Amalthea

Banned
The site is mistaken. Sodipeng were the official distributors of the systems in France and Belgium. The name itself was created because NEC itself had no real presence in France (and most of the rest of Europe actually) at the time (Just like say, Mattel were the sold distributors of the NES in France for a few years when Nintendo had no presence here). They were RGB "modding" the japanese systems and selling them with french documentation (at the time, there were no laws preventing you from doing such things). They were also the sole distributors of the NeoGeo in France (as far as I remember). The Guillemot brothers were prety involved back then in anything gaming related.

Unless my good old friends at the time were just lying to me (I worked at AMIE LE Pro in Paris back in the day and would met with the SODIPENG representative every few months).
Wouldn't they have to change the power outlet too?

D.Lo

Buying Japanese retail systems and selling them in another country is grey importing. It's not illegal, but is not an official release, even if NEC allowed it or even sold them directly to this company (which I doubt since there was an official PAL Turbografx release). Them needing modding makes it even less official.

Mattel's NES consoles were branded Mattel, and had local language packaging, but were manufactured by Nintendo specifically for that market.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Will that little white PC-Engine play US TG16 games? And how difficult is it to hook up to modern tvs?

No, all the connections had to be swapped.

You could use quite a bulky adaptor, if you can find one or if people are still making them.

Not sure about the TV's, RGB Scart was the best.

jstripes

Banned
A friend of mine had a TG-16. It's a terribly underrated system. One of these days I want to get my hands on one.

Yeah, the original was gorgeous. Even now it's just amazing to look at.

I'll never understand why they made the TG16 so big and ugly for the US market. At least we got the exact same amazing TurboExpress design, which I still have and a bunch of games.

American focus groups. Bigger = more value for the money.

Fularu

Banned
Wouldn't they have to change the power outlet too?
They changed everything needed tonuse the systems in France (video output, AC adapters, documentation in French, etc) and were the sole distributors of systems and games in France (which is why you could go to any Fnac and purchase one, unlike every other imported good where you had to go through specialized shops like Ultima Games, Score Games or Stock Games way back then).

If you wanted a PC Engine in the 80s/90s in France, you hot it from Sodipeng (whether as a reseller or as a customer since they took direct orders too).

Buying Japanese retail systems and selling them in another country is grey importing. It's not illegal, but is not an official release, even if NEC allowed it or even sold them directly to this company (which I doubt since there was an official PAL Turbografx release). Them needing modding makes it even less official.

Mattel's NES consoles were branded Mattel, and had local language packaging, but were manufactured by Nintendo specifically for that market.
Systems were supplied by NEC who never released the TG16 outside of the UK anyway. But whatever I'll trust the history I have with Sodipeng over some random english internet website.

Mzo

The most interesting games for me are the ones I already know from other systems that have added animated cutscenes and/or voice acting.

R-Type Complete CD, Double Dragon 2, Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari and Strider are cool examples of this.

Amalthea

Banned
They changed everything needed tonuse the systems in France (video output, AC adapters, documentation in French, etc) and were the sole distributors of systems and games in France (which is why you could go to any Fnac and purchase one, unlike every other imported good where you had to go through specialized shops like Ultima Games, Score Games or Stock Games way back then).

If you wanted a PC Engine in the 80s/90s in France, you hot it from Sodipeng (whether as a reseller or as a customer since they took direct orders too).

Systems were supplied by NEC who never released the TG16 outside of the UK anyway. But whatever I'll trust the history I have with Sodipeng over some random english internet website.
Dunno sounds pretty cool to me, never heard about this before but since the PC-Engine is THE console I'd always loved to have, so it woul be great if I ever found one in the wild. I find French MSX stuff in the francophone part of Switzerland sometimes.

cireza

Banned
It couldn't actually.

MegaDrive is playfields, with a certain amount of colours for each one. The PC-Engine could throw every colour it wanted on the screen, but only had one playfield. It also arguably had better sprite handling from what it could do with them. It's a lot more capable machine than most people give it credit for, but then that's mainly down to them trying to sell it as a 16-bit machine.

When you think of it as the 8-bit machine it is, it's a BEAST.
Not going to say that the PC-Engine is not a good machine, but the Bomberman 94 Genesis port has maybe less than 32 colours on screen. The console is able to manage 64 at once.

In terms of pixel art and colours, there is no reason the Genesis could not output this (or something very close) :

empo

I am pretty sure that was the seller I was looking at, but he seems to move through his stock pretty fast.

Just a warning but the mod work from Doujindance is pretty much turd tier.
https://twitter.com/Voultar_Modshop/status/779971906179063808

I never played/or heard about the PC Engine/TG growing up but it's for sure on my list of consoles to get.
Not a fan of the Duo design though, how much of a PITA is it to get the original system and a working CD drive?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not going to say that the PC-Engine is not a good machine, but the Bomberman 94 Genesis port has maybe less than 32 colours on screen. The console is able to manage 64 at once.

In terms of pixel art and colours, there is no reason the Genesis could not output this (or something very close) :

It's not just about what was the max colours on screen, it's about how they got them on screen. The key is 'up to' 64 colours on screen.

Playfields are parallax, and the MegaDrive could only use so many colours per layer. Something like Sonic was very clever in how it used them and the colours it used. You could in theory overlay them to get it looking like there were more, but for something like Bomberman that may have caused problems with collision detection and things and it would have been a nightmare to rework all the graphics into being split up in certain blocks of colours and put back together again.

Could they have got it looking a bit better if they'd started from scratch and built a MegaDrive game for it? Maybe. But for a game like Bomberman that doesn't require parallax the PC-Engine was really the ideal machine for it. And it's no surprise that the best versions were on it. I don't know what the exact number of colours '94 used is, they just used whatever they wanted and it looked great. If Mega Bomberman had looked better it would have been because it looked different.

The fact the PC-Engine didn't have parallax makes it all the more impressive when you do see it. I mean look at Lords Of Thunder above, that is insane and the trickery is off the charts. And the visuals fell apart on the MegaDrive trying to do it.

Mega Bomberman was still a great game, but '94 is still where it's at to this day.

cireza

Banned
It's not just about what was the max colours on screen, it's about how they got them on screen. The key is 'up to' 64 colours on screen.

Playfields are parallax, and the MegaDrive could only use so many colours per layer. Something like Sonic was very clever in how it used them and the colours it used. You could in theory overlay them to get it looking like there were more, but for something like Bomberman that may have caused problems with collision detection and things and it would have been a nightmare to rework all the graphics into being split up in certain blocks of colours and put back together again.

Could they have got it looking a bit better if they'd started from scratch and built a MegaDrive game for it? Maybe. But for a game like Bomberman that doesn't require parallax the PC-Engine was really the ideal machine for it. And it's no surprise that the best versions were on it. I don't know what the exact number of colours '94 used is, they just used whatever they wanted and it looked great. If Mega Bomberman had looked better it would have been because it looked different.

The fact the PC-Engine didn't have parallax makes it all the more impressive when you do see it. I mean look at Lords Of Thunder above, that is insane and the trickery is off the charts. And the visuals fell apart on the MegaDrive trying to do it.

Mega Bomberman was still a great game, but '94 is still where it's at to this day.
I appreciate that you took the time to explain.

cireza

Banned
No worries at all, games is my thing! Love talking about them, and the hardware is all wrapped up in that :)
Concerning Lords of Thunder, I always thought that the Sega-CD port was actually very close to the original. Care to point out on some differences ?

Otherwise, I understand that it is a very impressive game for the PCE CD.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Concerning Lords of Thunder, I always thought that the Sega-CD port was actually very close to the original. Care to point out on some differences ?

Otherwise, I understand that it is a very impressive game for the PCE CD.

Fell apart is a bit of an exaggeration, but I was very partial to this game and from a technical point of view it was stunning.

There's the colour drop obviously, but because the colours were too high they had to try and do it the PC-Engine way rather than rely on playfields and there were flicking backgrounds and things like that I think because the PC-Engine had better sprite handling which let it do all its funky things.

The fact we're properly comparing an 8-bit console with a 16-bit one and the 8-bit one is coming out on top is really cool.

cireza

Banned
Fell apart is a bit of an exaggeration, but I was very partial to this game and from a technical point of view it was stunning.

There's the colour drop obviously, but because the colours were too high they had to try and do it the PC-Engine way rather than rely on playfields and there were flicking backgrounds and things like that I think because the PC-Engine had better sprite handling which let it do all its funky things.

The fact we're properly comparing an 8-bit console with a 16-bit one and the 8-bit one is coming out on top is really cool.
Ok, I understand. I knew that the PC-Engine could display pretty much its entire palette at once if it wanted (which is the same palette as the Genesis in fact) and that it could not handle several parallax backgrounds (only one background in fact).

Now that you mention it, I think I knew (some time ago) that it was also much more capable at handling sprites. But I had forgotten that (I don't own a PCE, I was on the verge of buying one some time ago). And Lords of Thunder indeed uses a lot of parallax backgrounds. Totally forgot that the console is not supposed to do this lol. Impressive stuff. Truth is that I don't know this console so well !

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ok, I understand. I knew that the PC-Engine could display pretty much its entire palette at once if it wanted (which is the same palette as the Genesis in fact) and that it could not handle several parallax backgrounds (only one background in fact).

Now that you mention it, I think I knew (some time ago) that it was also much more capable at handling sprites. But I had forgotten that (I don't own a PCE, I was on the verge of buying one some time ago). And Lords of Thunder indeed uses a lot of parallax backgrounds. Totally forgot that the console is not supposed to do this lol. Impressive stuff. Truth is that I don't know this console so well !

It's such a cool little machine, the little console that could. So it's always fun to talk about it and the games, and if Nintendo can get their arse in gear about the Virtual Console I'd definitely be playing them all again.

Possibly my favourite console, along with the Dreamcast.

DAS1XPLV0AAYPZT.jpg:small

Just picked one up today, never had one before (although have dabbled on friends' over the years).

I'm heading to Tokyo in a few months. Barring Super Potato and the usual tourist traps in Akiba, where's a good place in town to get HuCard games (hopefully for relatively cheap)?

Just picked one up today, never had one before (although have dabbled on friends' over the years).

I'm heading to Tokyo in a few months. Barring Super Potato and the usual tourist traps in Akiba, where's a good place in town to get HuCard games (hopefully for relatively cheap)?

https://www.amazon.co.jp/?tag=

Seriously finding PC Engine games these days can be pretty hard. Amazon will have everything and will usually have a good price on everything.

Rydeen

If you're willing to get out of Tokyo proper and go into the suburbs, I'd recommend going to every Book-Off and Hard-Off store in the Tokyo suburbs and scouring for deals there. They're a chain of used goods / thrift stores. While Book-Off is usually more for items like books / DVD's / CD's, they almost always have a decent selection of game software, especially not in the city. Hard-Off is exclusively hardware, software and used electronics, and almost always have a good selection of games for every retro system.

If you go on Google Maps and do a search for both chains, you'll find plenty. Make a note of them and make a day trip out to the larger ones in the suburbs, great way to see the country outside of the city.

You can also use their website to find stores nearest you:

http://www.hardoff.co.jp/

I can attest that the farther out from the city you are, the better the finds. Specifically for PC Engine, I found games like Gate of Thunder complete for 3,000 yen (about $25), and complete copies of PC Engine Space Invaders, Dragon Spirit and Bikkuriman World for 500 yen each.

If you're willing to get out of Tokyo proper and go into the suburbs, I'd recommend going to every Book-Off and Hard-Off store in the Tokyo suburbs and scouring for deals there. They're a chain of used goods / thrift stores. While Book-Off is usually more for items like books / DVD's / CD's, they almost always have a decent selection of game software, especially not in the city. Hard-Off is exclusively hardware, software and used electronics, and almost always have a good selection of games for every retro system.

We're staying in Itabashi, and it looks like there's a Hard Off not too far NW of the station. Thanks for the tips!

Shai-Tan

Banned
In elementary school one of the kids in my class had pcengine portable. He showed it with the updated port of Super Dodgeball which made me really want it. On Snes you could play Super Famicom games by breaking a plastic tab blocking the cartridge and so I borrowed a lot of those from Chinese friends but figuring out that there is a mod to play pcengine on tgfx 16 if it existed at that time was beyond us so I never got to play any pcengine games that never came to tgfx 16.

PC Engine was the pinnacle of an era where games would be completely different depending on what console they were on. My friend had one growing up - well after they were released, think late 90s - and it was amazing what was on it compared to the other older consoles.

Dambrosi

Banned

As SheepyGuy says, Amazon.jp, or eBay for used HuCards if you really want to collect...

...or you could save your scheckels in the long term by buying a Turbo Everdrive and loading your legally-owned* ROMs on that, leading to you never having to buy a HuCard ever again.

Besides, CD-ROM2 is where it's really at in the PCE scene. I'm assuming you got a Core Grafx, and not a Duo or Duo-R/RX? Well, whichever version you end up getting, make sure to get the thing fully re-capped - the capacitors on these consoles are getting old, and could blow any time, they're ticking time bombas in that respect. I wish I could recommend someone, but 1) you're in Japan, but I don't know if that's long-term or not, or where you live normally, and 2) I got my console, IFU (suitcase thing used to connect the PCE to the CD unit) and CD-ROM2 unit pre-recapped, so all I needed was an RGB mod. Sorry.

WaterAstro

Loved it more than the NES.

I wonder if people knew that the PC Engine had built in save space in the console like an internal harddrive.

NightWolve

Neo Member
For all the non Japanese readers/speakers out there a translation project has appeared for Emerald Dragon. :)

I remember checking this last year and seeing it hadn't been updated since early 2015. Seems that's still the case?

Yeah, it's on hiatus. My translator SamIAm is busy away with the Legend of Xanadu I & II projects with another programmer, mostly on the dubbing aspect as they say they finished the script.

I could release a 60% BETA patch of Emerald Dragon with what I have, I've been considering it, but I'll have to see. I like how things worked out with the font from the PC-FX BIOS of all places!

http://www.ysutopia.net/forums/index.php?topic=431.0

I want to beef up my translation software for Sam, at some point, before letting him continue, and some other ideas I have when time/schedule/motivation will permit me to return. But yeah, there's no rush, he's busy with other projects and his new baby, and I really can't commit to it this year either, most likely.

This thread left me a bit confused, which is the PC engine? All of them? Searching ebay and getting confused with the various models.

wondermega

This thread left me a bit confused, which is the PC engine? All of them? Searching ebay and getting confused with the various models.
Yeah it can be a bit confusing. Whereas in the States we had a couple of models (TurboGrafx-16 and then TurboDuo), the PC-Engine was released in quite a few different configs/upgrades - Original PC-Engine, CoreGrafx, SuperGrafx, ShuttleGrafx - and then the CD-rom add-on with the various System Cards. Add to that the portable versions (TurboExpress/GameTank, Laptop "LT") To the uninitiated it's probably a bunch of gobbledygook best left largely forgotten for that reason. To be fair they weren't alone in this, there were different versions of the Japanese NES (Famicom) and early Sega 8-bit systems as well. Anyway what you see when you run a Google search (little white box with a gamepad attached) is the generally-accepted barebones unit in question..

So what's the "ultimate version"? I imagine it's a japanese version, but is there a specific one that's considered "the best"?

wondermega

So what's the "ultimate version"? I imagine it's a japanese version, but is there a specific one that's considered "the best"?

Hard to say, and depends on who you ask! And what region you are considering. For the USA version, it's probably the TurboDuo which is both the card- and CD- systems built into a single unit. Mind that this is identical to buying the two earlier hardwares separately from what I can tell (or, close enough). In Japan, it's a little harder to say (I'm sure someone else can correct if I am off) but it may be the PC Engine Duo R which is basically their TurboDuo.

Library-wise, the CD software is considered superior to the games which released on cards - but I'd argue this is only true in Japan, not USA. Also keep in mind that the CD drives lack region-lock so you could play Japanese CDs on an American system. Not so with the cards though (unless you bought an expensive pass-through device).

Overall, the Japanese software catalog was overall far superior to what released domestically for a lot of reasons. If more of those games had released over here, history may have been different..

Top Bottom