• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone recommend me a game with good characters and story?

BlizzKrut

Banned
sotl_blog-15191-cropped.jpg

Don't let the looks fool you, it's a very interesting game.

Also, any Bioshock game, great stories there.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
if ya want an all encompassing list it's gonna be huuuuuge especially if you look at the 3DS alone: all the Mario & Luigi, Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick, Hotel Dusk, The World Ends with You..

recently, Thimbeweed Park and Full Throttle R for PC

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
The Last Guardian/Shadow of the Colossus/ICO
Grim Fandango
Yakuza 2
Shenmue 1 + 2
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
The Longest Journey
Enslaved

And I don't know so much about story wise, but Gravity Rush has gaming's most affable protagonist.

HotHamBoy

Oh yeah, Earthbound and Mother 3 are two of the best video games I've ever played. Mother 3 has an incredible story and cast.

YCEd4B5.gif

e6c282c2478e05b65f85b83150ba466584f1ddaa_hq.gif

NOT%20stupid%20ghost%20gif_zpshat1hapr.gif

tumblr_inline_mqs53fzTc81r50k9z.gif

Salsa2.gif

tumblr_inline_o1iqmvOD0D1tofywb_500.gif

JediLink

If you finished Persona 5, I suppose you must have played 3 and 4 as well, right?

There's a few things I could suggest but if I had to pick one above them all, it would have to be the original Phoenix Wright trilogy (i.e. Ace Attorney, Justice for All and Trials and Tribulations). The three games cumulatively take place over the course of three years, letting you really get to know the characters and see how they and their relationships with each other evolve over time, all culminating in a perfect and satisfying ending
which is later ruined in Apollo Justice.

SomTervo

Witcher 3 is an obvious choice if you haven't played it.

The characters and lore are already established so you've got to give it a while to all sink in, but once it does... Insane. Nothing like it. Like a playable Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones, but better than either in several ways. Truly epic with incredible characters, politics and plotting.

Also i recommend playing on easy to make the combat a bit faster and more satisfying.

Durante

Planescape: Torment, though ideally last, because it will make you realize that the games you thought had an interesting story and characters you care about did not, in fact, have an interesting story or characters you care about.

Before that, and trying to stick with somewhat recent stuff:
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

SomTervo

Silent Hill 2 an incredible choice too. For the first half you're like "this story isn't great, i was lied to", then you're like "wait a minute", then you're like "this is unbelievable".

I've just finished playing What Remains of Edith Finch. Before that I finished Persona 5, and before that I finished Nier Automata and Night In The Woods. All four were excellent, but now I feel like I'm kind of at a loss. I want to play more stuff with compelling characters and story, and I'm struggling to think of any. I've finished the obvious stuff, like Last of Us, Uncharted, Until Dawn etc. etc. I was going to play Divinity Original Sin, but apparently that's not the way to go for characters.

I have all platforms except Switch, so platform isn't really an issue (but PS4 would be preferred). I just want to maintain this momentum of characters that I actually care about. Anyone have any ideas?

Since you finished What Remains Of Edith Finch, you should check out a very similar surreal game about family and memories, Blackwood Crossing. Also a female protagonist. Similar length. It came out earlier in the month.

blackwood_crossing_surreal_by_digi_matrix-db4ussv.gif

blackwood-crossing_gif1.gif

Ascheroth

Seconding Planescape: Torment.

If you'd be fine with a visual novel, The House In Fata Morgana is the GOAT. It came out last year to very little fanfare, but it's absolutely sublime. Go in blind. Steam only unless you know Japanese (then you have 3DS/Vita options). Definitely worth going out of your comfort zone for and runs on a potato.

Not sure why I forgot to mention House in Fata Morgana, it was my GOTY last year.
Probably because I defaulted to RPG recommendations :p

But yeah, The House in Fata Morgana is sublime.

Famassu

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky trilogy is finally going to be completed in English next week with the release of Trails in the Sky The 3rd on May 3rd. If you have some level of tolerance for anime tropes & slow-paced narratives where you don't get to the world-ending shit right from the first minute and main characters' home village isn't burned to the ground in the beginning for maximum melodrama, they are some of the best JRPGs around. A bit dated on the gameplay front and for some people the focus on somewhat slow-paced world-building, enjoyable character interactions and build-up until you get to the meatier, more serious things is a bit too slow, but if you don't mind that, there's a good, rewarding experience awaiting at the end. It starts off as a kind of light adventure saturday cartoon type of thing where two youngsters at the beginning of their ambitions set out on a journey that isn't anything too serious at first. They get to know the lands and people inhabiting the lands while taking care of some not-too-life-threatening threats and eventually they'll start getting mixed into more serious matters of the state and that's when it gets really awesome.

Roufianos

Yakuza 0. One of the best stories I've ever experienced. Absolutely incredible, and to think I was sceptical about picking it up.

Horizon had a good story too from what I played but the pacing of it was just awful what with the massive open world, I lost interest.

Time to get yourself into Kingdom Hearts if you haven't already.

OP said good story.

3DS (incl. DS compatibility) has you covered:
- 999 and Virtue's Last Reward. Zero Time Dilemma is kinda ass, but it makes sense to play the entire trilogy.
- Hotel Dusk and Last Window
- Ghost Trick
- Ace Attorney (particularly the original trilogy)

You want good story and characters? Then go buy Yakuza 0, RIGHT NOW.

Seriously, if those are the qualities that you enjoy in a game, then you owe it to yourself to play Yakuza 0.

Since everything else I had in mind was already mentioned...

header.jpg

Certainly didn't expect it to be as rich in personality as it was. Bonus points for having Hitman-esque background storytelling through its newspaper clips too.

With your aforementioned thread, would it be safe to assume that you've already beaten Steins;Gate 0 as well? If you enjoyed the time-traveling shenanigans, you might find the latest Zero Escape compilation, The Nonary Games, fairly interesting as it bundles the first two installments on PS4/Vita. A third installment currently resides on PC/Vita, but it maintains an immense "love-it-or-hate-it" dichotomy among fans and I happen to reside with critiquing it as an extremely lackluster closure to the previously established mysterious though they can still be enjoyed by themselves.

I wholeheartedly encourage seeking out Nier: Automata as an Action-RPG that champions the uniqueness of the interactive medium to conveys its narrative across multiple play-throughs, too. It continuously builds upon itself with newer plot revelations and notable gameplay variations with each round. It admittedly would be better to seek the original release, Nier, on PS3/X360 to appreciate in-universe references and resolution to a handful of recurring characters, but it can be approached as stand-alone.

Yakuza 0 has a superb story and the cast of characters is fucking amazing, some of their performances are the best I've ever seen in a videogame

Palabragrís;235211692 said:
Playing Yakuza 0 right now. You'll love it if you give it the chance.

I'm riding shotgun on the couch with someone playing Yakuza 0 lately and I think it's what you are looking for.

Yakuza 0. By the time you're finished with it Kiwami should be around the corner.

You want good story and characters? Then go buy Yakuza 0, RIGHT NOW.

Seriously, if those are the qualities that you enjoy in a game, then you owe it to yourself to play Yakuza 0.

I'll serve as the umpteenth person that highly encourages checking out this long-running action brawler. I had been purchasing various installments throughout the past decade without really investing too much time into the franchise, but I sought to make amends with the prequel and I immediately regretted never sticking with them from the get-go. Just as suggested in the official thread subtitle, the prequel has a narrative that's pretty newcomer-friendly thus providing a perfect opportunity to dive into it's luxurious crime underground that talks just about as much as you'll be using your fists to settle matters. If you're completionist, however, I'll forewarn that Yakuza has become known for its overwhelming amount of leisurely side-content that'll easily push toward 100+ hour mark. Thankfully, the main storyline can be tackled around 30 hours though I would highly encourage exploring a handful of the quirky side-quests that immensely builds an alluring sense of dissonance between the seriousness of the intertwining crime plot with the exaggerated goofiness of the gameplay. A remake of the first installment launches this coming summer with a seventh main installment, Yakuza 6, expected early next year to bookend the story of the primary protagonist, Kiryu Kazuma. Once you've punched your way through the prequel, you'll have a better sense to know whether you should retroactively explore past releases on PS2 and/or PS3.

Necrovex

I like Trials in the Sky for its characters. The plot meanders a lot, but the game aims to build its world and characters over delivering a quick plot. This allows the "OH SHIT" moment to really hit home. You may love or hate this. Truly depends on the person's taste.

The Zero Escape: The Nonary Games was released recently which the truly the definitive way to experience this marvelous series.

HotHamBoy

AH! You know what has a fun story and great characters?

header.jpg

Way better than the DC Cinematic Universe shit, that's for sure.

Tizoc

Contradiction
Thimbleweed Park
Lost Planet 3
Thomas was alone
Ghost 1.0
Yakuza 0 if it hasn't been mentioned yet

Off the top of my head for now :x

I think you already played the "good characters and story" in AAA games so, I'll go with something small:

Funny that when I read the title I was gonna recommend Edith Finch but well, that brought you here. It's my Top 1 "Walking Sim" ever now so, let's go with the second:

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Just what you asked, good characters and story.

Also, if you are into puzzles games play The Swapper, it has an incredible story, you could YouTube yourself out of some puzzles if you need to.

xviper

aside from the obvious games

you should try Yakuza 0, it's heavily underrated with insanely good and deep story, so much amazing moments and so much plot twist you would never expect

If you want something of smaller scope, I recommend Transistor as well. The story is relatively simple but I think it's well told and it has really good characters.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
The Witcher 2, and Wild Hunt and it's expansions.

Bioshock and Infinite Remastered if you haven't yet.(play Minerva's Den and Burial at Sea)

Call of Duty Infinite Warfare has an amazing campaign, interesting and memorable characters and good arcs.

Dantis

I like Trials in the Sky for its characters. The plot meanders a lot, but the game aims to build its world and characters over delivering a quick plot. This allows the "OH SHIT" moment to really hit home. You may love or hate this. Truly depends on the person's taste.

The Zero Escape: The Nonary Games was released recently which the truly the definitive way to experience this marvelous series.

The fact that you don't remember our discussions about Zero Escape cuts me deep, Necrovex.

Since everything else I had in mind was already mentioned...

header.jpg

Certainly didn't expect it to be as rich in personality as it was. Bonus points for having Hitman-esque background storytelling through its newspaper clips too.

Loved Wolfenstein! Finished them both!

With your aforementioned thread, would it be safe to assume that you've already beaten Steins;Gate 0 as well? If you enjoyed the time-traveling shenanigans, you might find the latest Zero Escape compilation, The Nonary Games, fairly interesting as it bundles the first two installments on PS4/Vita. A third installment currently resides on PC/Vita, but it maintains an immense "love-it-or-hate-it" dichotomy among fans and I happen to reside with critiquing it as an extremely lackluster closure to the previously established mysterious though they can still be enjoyed by themselves.

Already finished the Zero Escape games (999 is the best imo). Started Steins Gate 0, but dropped it about seven hours in. The parts where it isn't from Okabe's perspective are really off-putting, with the sections where you're following Mayuri and her friends being outright painful to play through, and the parts with Suzuha being super, super silly and bad.

So many people have said it already, but Yakuza 0 is gonna be right up your alley.

I'll get Yakuza 0, but I never got around to finishing 5, so I kind of feel like I should doing that first.

I just lost interest a bit once I wasn't playing as Kiryu.

AH! You know what has a fun story and great characters?

header.jpg

Way better than the DC Cinematic Universe shit, that's for sure.

Finished all four of them (five if you count Blackgate)!

This thread is making me realise that I play too many videogames.

I'll get Yakuza 0, but I never got around to finishing 5, so I kind of feel like I should doing that first.

I just lost interest a bit once I wasn't playing as Kiryu.
You can skip 5. At least for now.

That game is the weakest in the series and not to mention that it's really bloated. Yakuza 0 is a much much better game.

I beat Persona 5 yesterday and am at a lost of what to play too, I'll take suggestions you guys have in this thread too.

Yakuza 0 I am actually pretty far in, I should go ahead and finish it.

Top Bottom