• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•13-15•17 - Audiences show Death Day & Jackie Chan what love is, Blade dull

they skate on by with only making 5 to 13000 times the budgets

Paranormal Activity - 12866x
Paranormal Activity 2 - 59x
Insidious - 64x
Paranormal Activity 3 - 41x
Sinister - 25x
Paranormal Activity 4 - 28

and that's only their first 6 films

Saw movies were huge in showing other companies what can be achieved by doing horror on the cheap. Lionsgate made a killing on those fuckers

berzeli

Banned
The reason I ask is they're obviously not pouring that into more ambitious movies(and I'm not suggesting there's any reason for them to). Just wondering if they just have a ton of cash on hand or it just goes up Jason Blum's nose or what
Ok so for a more serious answer, Blumhouse doesn't get to keep all the profits from its films since they don't distribute and I'm unsure if they ever spend P&A dollars either.

Still, they probably are a very successful company, but they have a model and they stick to it:
1) Not too many speaking parts, as extras are paid five times more if they actually talk.
2) Not too many locations, which stops costs spiraling.
3) Pay actors the bare minimum, but give them a slice of the profits. This means that if the film does well their pay increases, and as such they are more invested.
4) Don’t ever go over budget.
Their restraint is honestly maybe the most remarkable thing about them.

gamz

Ok so for a more serious answer, Blumhouse doesn't get to keep all the profits from its films since they don't distribute and I'm unsure if they ever spend P&A dollars either.

Still, they probably are a very successful company, but they have a model and they stick to it:
1) Not too many speaking parts, as extras are paid five times more if they actually talk.
3) Pay actors the bare minimum, but give them a slice of the profits. This means that if the film does well their pay increases, and as such they are more invested.

Thanks for this. Interesting information especially about the actors pay.

Seriously, why are people not watching Blade Runner, I legitimately don't understand.

Popular leading actors, fantastic visuals, and great reviews. Was the advertising really that bad? :/

The almost 3 hour runtime is probably a big factor. My local Drafthouse only has 4 showings a day.

No big-name actors either (unless it's a personal project like The Gift).

The distributors are actually taking more of a risk than Blumhouse when they push a film for wide release, so Blumhouse is almost certainly taking a minority cut of the studio take.

Also, Blumhouse has been (slowly) increasing their budgets over the years. Jason Blum just doesn't believe in big budget films. After what happened to Alcon and Europacorp this year, probably a wise decision.

I think one of the things that gets underestimated in here is how expensive it is to wide release a movie, even with minimal marketing. There's a decent chance that Get Out and Split don't crack the top 10 most profitable movies this year (in terms of total dollars, not percentage).

Ryan Gosling just needs his own Magic Mike.

crazy-stupid-love-photoshopped-ryan-gosling-emma-stone.gif

Seriously, why are people not watching Blade Runner, I legitimately don't understand.

Popular leading actors, fantastic visuals, and great reviews. Was the advertising really that bad? :/

Not seeing it because of the run time. Only movie my wife will see that is 3 hours long is LOTR. Might get it on DVD.

I can only speak for myself in saying: because i didn't like Blade Runner 1.
Fair enough, this might be the case for a lot of people too. Though the first one is interesting as I didn't like it at all the first time I saw it yet eventually it became one of my all time favorites.

The almost 3 hour runtime is probably a big factor. My local Drafthouse only has 4 showings a day.

I hear this a lot, but there's a lot of 2.5 hour block busters out there, I don't get why this matters so much. And shit, Titanic was over 3 hours and even had an intermission, yet it's the highest grossing movie of all time isn't it? So this doesn't make much sense to me.

Folks don't exactly beat down theater doors for Ryan Gosling.

They don't?
Plus Harrison Ford and Jared Leto are still pretty big draws too I thought.

Schlorgan

Saw these threee thanks to MoviePass:

1. Death Day was fucking fantastic. Mean Girls meet horror.
2. Foreigner was great. Pierce stole the show.
3. Wonder Women was touching. It felt like a made for TV movie though. Would have been better as a Netflix release.
Which Wonder Woman are we talking about?

They don't?
Plus Harrison Ford and Jared Leto are still pretty big draws too I thought.

The difference between his biggest-ever (La-La Land) and 2nd biggest-ever (Crazy, Stupid, Love) films is $66 million dollars.

He's not a consistent, big-numbers draw any more than the co-stars he's been in over the course of his career. Folks like him, but ascribing magical star power draw to Gosling isn't borne out by the receipts.

I wouldn't call him box office poison, but Gosling+Ford together aren't going to conjure an audience for a sequel to a film that wasn't a huge commercial success to begin with.

carlsojo

I think part of the problem was that by watching the trailers you would have no idea what it's even about.

THIS BREAKS THE WORLD

WE WERE BEING HUNTED

Jared Leto being blind and weird with some naked gooey person.

Yeah my frequent movie buddy friend came out of the Kingsman (hadn't seen the first one, didn't care) and enjoyed the experience. She came out of Blade Runner (hadn't seen the first) kinda confused and indifferent to the whole thing.

I got that. People that are not dialed into movies to our degree (I certainly don't mean this negatively, different people just place value on cinema and the experience differently). She enjoyed the light tone, freewheeling nonsense of the Kingsman (I did too) and I didn't expect her (she's actually a saint for sitting through movies like BR2049 on a whim) to reciprocate how I felt on BR2049. I picked her brain afterwards and she started bringing up plot holes she saw. We chatted a bit but when I go to see it again I won't drag her through it. This film is like a David Lynch movie (upon first reviewing I early on stopped trying to decipher the plot and just let how what I was seeing and hearing wash over me, I just let how I ended up feeling about it constitute my initial response.)

Second viewing will be just if not more critical in my final assessment on the film. Odds are very good I will find more to enjoy and mist up again at the ending just like the first viewing.

OG Blade Runner was one that took a few viewings to really gel an opinion on. The new one is no different. But as more time passes and and the more I think about 2049, the more I love it and need to see it again. But when I left I was just kind of cold and broken.

Alienfan

We're going to be drowning in horror films next year and beyond, few came out this year and the ones that did made hundreds of millions. A good time to be a horror fan

Slayven

We're going to be drowning in horror films next year and beyond, few came out this year and the ones that did made hundreds of millions. A good time to be a horror fan

Needed a break from the Insidiouses, Paranormal activity, and their clones. All that stuff just runs together might as well happen in the same universe

Blade Runner 82 didn't click for me 10 tens ago when I watched the theatrical cut. Nor later when I watched The Final Cut. Only a couple years ago when I rewatched The Final Cut did it finally click for me. I will not turn around and chastise someone else for not getting it, because it's just not that type of movie. I'll haul out Lynch again. I think Inland Empire is brilliant but I'm not going to lose my shit on people that hate that movie. I'm not a better or more adept film goer, I just accept that certain films are dense and weird and everything in between and will land with people in a myriad of different ways. I do want such films the deviant from the contemporary norms of the zeitgeist to continue to be produced and released because if enough of that happens, mainstream audiences can start to understand and seek out stuff like the new wave of american cinema in the 70's. We need more French Connections.

The ironic thing about all this is that I found 2049 to be a far more palatable and familiar film than the original, and yet there's still talk about it being too deviant for current audiences.

louiedog

The ironic thing about all this is that I found 2049 to be a far more palatable and familiar film than the original, and yet there's still talk about it being too deviant for current audiences.

Agreed. I also think it was probably the best paced 2.5+ hr movie I've seen. I never felt bored or like things weren't moving quickly enough even though it still moves fairly slowly.

I just remembered Superman Returns exists.

I remember thinking it was just okay when I saw it in theaters. I wonder if my overall opinion might change after seeing uneven mess like Man of Steel or failure in every slightest respect BvS

First one was boring to me

Denis Villenueve tho

People keep saying this like low budget horror doing well is a new thing. It's been a thing for years and years now, and it hasn't led to some mass explosion of horror movies at the box office.

Blumhouse continues to take everyone to school when it comes to low budget high return flicks. Really though, they are marketing masters. They know just who and how and where to market to maximize results. They're just incredibly smart. Glad to see their continued success.

Pachimari

Wow, I didn't realize or had forgotten about Blumhouse having made Paranormal Activity; one of, if not my most favorite horror franchise. I shall support them more by watching their movies in the cinema. Look through their list, I see they've made Insidious and Purge as well. So all those recent horror franchises are from the same production company. Holy shit they've made Hush and Martyrs too. Whiplash, and a bunch of smaller movies as well.

What are some other small production companies besides Alcorn, Legendary, Lionsgate and Weinstein (if they are small)?

Redders

Any UK folk lucky enough to live near somewhere that's showing the death of stalin? I had no idea it was going to have such a limited run, there are no screenings within 20 miles of me. looks like I'll have to head to my nearest city and catch one of the 3 or 4 times it's on. I assume it's probably going to be like this in the US and elsewhere too :(

That sucks, my local Cineworld had the unlimited screening last week so I'm assuming it will get a full release here. Times normally update tonight so if it's on I'll go sometime over the weekend, looking forward to it and didn't realise it had reviewed well.

Famassu

I want to see Blade Runner 2049 but I have issues with the first one that haven't exactly pushed me to see it ASAP. The first film had some amazing visuals & great atmosphere, but I thought the acting in the movie was pretty poor, the whole human/android thing wasn't really portrayed in all that interesting or engaging a way to me, it has some of that 80s camp-ish feeling in some things (like this comes off more campy than suspensful to me: https://youtu.be/zCucXQ3IASs?t=265 like is he a fucking murderer in a serious scifi cyberpunk thriller or a cartoony villain in Who Framed Roger Rabbit) that I really don't care for and I found Ford's character forcing himself on that android/woman at one point in the movie poorly acted and gross.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What are some other small production companies besides Alcorn, Legendary, Lionsgate and Weinstein (if they are small)?

I always keep an eye out for what Annapurna, Plan B, and A24 are putting out. I think the latter is more of distributor, but they know how to pick em. Everytime I'm watching something different, one of those is almost always involved.

That sucks, my local Cineworld had the unlimited screening last week so I'm assuming it will get a full release here. Times normally update tonight so if it's on I'll go sometime over the weekend, looking forward to it and didn't realise it had reviewed well.

Yeah, the reviews are great across the board, which makes all it the more annoying. I'd have thought with how well received and popular a lot of Ianucci's stuff has been in this country there might at least be a token showing at some of the chains (beyond the Unlimited screenings) but I know next to nothing about the ins and outs of this kind of thing, so this thread will be illuminating :D

Falchion

Blade Runner isn't lighting it up but it's doing fine. It'll be fine between the international market and Blu Ray sales.

Cheebo

Banned
I want to see Blade Runner 2049 but I have issues with the first one that haven't exactly pushed me to see it ASAP. The first film had some amazing visuals & great atmosphere, but I thought the acting in the movie was pretty poor, the whole human/android thing wasn't really portrayed in all that interesting or engaging a way to me, it has some of that 80s camp-ish feeling in some things (like this comes off more campy than suspensful to me: https://youtu.be/zCucXQ3IASs?t=265 like is he a fucking murderer in a serious scifi cyberpunk thriller or a cartoony villain in Who Framed Roger Rabbit) that I really don't care for and I found Ford's character forcing himself on that android/woman at one point in the movie poorly acted and gross.

How...how is that campy? Batty is toying with Deckard and Deckard is freaked out and running for his life. It's intense as fuck.

The scene where Roy grabs Deckards hand through the wall and begins snapping his fingers is as suspensful today as it was in 1982.

Blumhouse is just doing what New Line was doing 30 years ago. Churning out cheaply made horror films that bring in huge returns at the box office. New Line basically used Freddy to fund its art films .

Sulik2

My personal theory, there are a lot more people like me who hate the first blade runner and think it's a terrible movie then people realize so there just wasn't a very big audience for it.

Certinty

Maybe people aren't fans of watching someone more or less walk around for almost 3 hours?

I didn't hate the movie and I appreciate what it does well but it's definitely not a movie for most people. Had I not got in for free I would have never have seen it either, I mean the first was boring as hell.

Also never seen as many people walk out of a movie as I did for 2049 and I go and see tons of movies.

Top Bottom