• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Hey SeattleGAF, visited your city for the first time last weekend and it was wonderful. The Tajarin from Spinasse definitely lived up to the internet hype. And have any of you hiked The Enchantments? Undeniably picturesque, likely the most unique sceneries I've ever hiked, would love to do it again the future.

Le-mo

Anybody Know any good restaurants to eat at near Tacoma dome? I'll be down there tomorrow for the bruno Mars concert.

Izayoi

Banned
Please vote for Cary Moon! If you care about housing affordability, she is the best candidate running. She has some super cool ideas that could do A LOT to reverse the current status quo.

Please vote for Cary Moon! If you care about housing affordability, she is the best candidate running. She has some super cool ideas that could do A LOT to reverse the current status quo.

I like Moon a lot and think having an urban planner for mayor is awesome, but then I listened to Farrel during the debate and I liked her too.

https://thecisforcrank.com/2017/07/17/the-c-is-for-crank-endorses-jessyn-farrell/

Basically, I wish I knew which one is polling better so I can give them my vote, cause I have feeling Durkan (only in Seattle is the lesbian candidate the "establishment" pick) will make it through against someone.

Trouble

Banned
I like Moon a lot and think having an urban planner for mayor is awesome, but then I listened to Farrel during the debate and I liked her too.

https://thecisforcrank.com/2017/07/17/the-c-is-for-crank-endorses-jessyn-farrell/

Basically, I wish I knew which one is polling better so I can give them my vote, cause I have feeling Durkan (only in Seattle is the lesbian candidate the "establishment" pick) will make it through against someone.

Wikipedia has a few polls listed. The margin of error makes those polls fairly useless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_mayoral_election,_2017#Opinion_polls

That said, I've seen quite a few Moon ads on TV and The Stranger endorsed her. I'd assume she's leading over Farrel.

Izayoi

Banned
My fear is Farrel and Moon are going to cannibalize each other's votes, letting someone else get through the primary, like McGinn.
In all likelihood, it will be McGinn and Durkan in the general. I share your fears, below is my reasoning.

I love Erica, and I respect her endorsement of Farrell, but I think that Moon is the stronger choice between the two. Moon might not have experience in public office, but she has demonstrable knowledge of urban planning, density issues, and housing affordability. Farrell is an effective legislator, and would be a strong pick as well. I am, however, wary of her sabotaging Sound Transit's budget in the past, and her eagerness to rework car tab funding in regards to ST3. To miss the forest for the trees in regards to regional transit would be unfortunate.

The Stranger's endorsement carries a lot more weight than Erica's - which means that Moon we likely beat out Farrell in votes. Credentials and policy aside, in the interest of not cannibalizing votes where it is unnecessary, I would argue for Moon solely because of the Stranger's endorsement.

If we're really, really lucky, it will be Moon and Durkan in the general. In my completely unrealistic fantasy land, we would have two urbanists advance, but the chances of that happening with The Times endorsing Durkan might as well be impossible. I'm really disappointed by their endorsement, but it does not surprise me. Rich, white NIMBYs must've creamed their pants when it went out.

cdyhybrid

From what I've been hearing, the conventional wisdom is that McGinn and Durkan were the favorites. No idea how it'll work out, though.

I voted for McGinn the last two elections (remember that the Stranger endorsed McGinn and was against Murray last election) and I still like him, but I like Moon and Farrel.

Honestly, I'd be happy with any of them as our mayor, but Durkan gives me the same worries that Murray did (ie. in bed with developers).*

*As a North Seattle homeowner I'm sure I have some NIMBY tendencies but I want to see more affordable housing in this city. People who work in the city should be able to live here.

Izayoi

Banned
One thing is certain: if it's McGinn and Durkan, vote McGinn. Murray's brand had its chance, and McGinn's policy talk right now indicates that he is at least thinking about taking the city in the right direction. Durkan wants more of the same kind of policies that have repeatedly failed to produce results over the past several years, I guess hoping that persevering will eventually yield some kind of positive change.

With development knocking down affordable units by the dozen and replacing them with exorbitantly priced luxury units, the homeless population spiraling out of control, and the opioid epidemic with it, it's very clear to me that we need serious change.

Not to completely shit on Murray's platform, some of his policies are forward thinking - like the income tax, even if it's just to get the conversation started (as it's a non-starter under current state law), and police reform. He is just too conservative (in terms of the speed at which he tackles policy issues) for how rapidly the city is changing.

I like McGinn, so I've got no qualms voting for him against Durkan if that's what happens. Seems like Durkan getting through is a given, I just have no clue who else will.

I guess I'm the only one going for Nikkita?

Maybe? I really liked what she had to say during the debate last week, I just find myself siding more with Moon and Farrel. Can't vote for them all. [shrug]

Izayoi

Banned
I guess I'm the only one going for Nikkita?
She is an optimistic choice, but she has a very limited base of support. She is politically unsavvy, and honestly has little knowledge of the city's (and, to a lesser extent, the region's) problems outside of her key wedge issues. Many of Seattle's problems are also King County's problems (and, again to a lesser extent, Snohomish and Pierce County's). Fixing housing affordability demands a regional solution, and Nikkita is hyper-focused on Seattle, to the point where it would likely be to the detriment of the issues she's trying to address.

Regardless, with such a crowded field, I think that it is best to rally behind someone who has the support and political know-how to stand a chance of making it to the general election.

Regardless, with such a crowded field, I think that it is best to rally behind someone who has the support and political know-how to stand a chance of making it to the general election.

This is a fair point, though the polls seem to indicate she's got a shot of sneaking through. My thinking is that even if she doesn't make it, there will be an "acceptable" choice on the general ballot anyway, so I'd rather give her the support now in the hopes that she makes it, and then fall back to whoever makes the most sense later.

Izayoi

Banned
This is a fair point, though the polls seem to indicate she's got a shot of sneaking through. My thinking is that even if she doesn't make it, there will be an "acceptable" choice on the general ballot anyway, so I'd rather give her the support now in the hopes that she makes it, and then fall back to whoever makes the most sense later.
That's reasonable, I think. As long as Durkan or Hasegawa don't get elected I'll be a happy camper. We need serious change, not boring candidates who are only interested in maintaining the status quo (and protecting business interests).

spuckthew

Anyone know any good/fun bars downtown nearish the market? I'm taking my girlfriend to Maximilien next Wednesday evening and want some options for drinks in the vicinity afterwards (<10 minute walk from the restaurant preferably). The Nest rooftop bar is right up her street, but it looks expensive and I don't really want to be hit with a $50 surcharge for a couch when there's just two of us (hopefully they allow walk-ins)!

Cheers!

Anyone know any good/fun bars downtown nearish the market? I'm taking my girlfriend to Maximilien next Wednesday evening and want some options for drinks in the vicinity afterwards (<10 minute walk from the restaurant preferably). The Nest rooftop bar is right up her street, but it looks expensive and I don't really want to be hit with a $50 surcharge for a couch when there's just two of us (hopefully they allow walk-ins)!

Cheers!
The view at Nest is unbelievable. FYI, I’ve always been able to walk in; in fact, I didn’t even know you could pay to reserve haha. With two people especially you might have to hover for a bit but you can always snag a spot with a great view quickly. Also, because you’re right it’s insanely expensive and their drinks are nothing special, we’ve learned to just always spring for their cheapest bottle of champagne...a) you feel awesome and b) you’ll get twice as many drinks out of it as anything else for that price there.

Radiator Whiskey in the market is also a really good option!

finalflame

Gold Member
The view at Nest is unbelievable. FYI, I've always been able to walk in; in fact, I didn't even know you could pay to reserve haha. With two people especially you might have to hover for a bit but you can always snag a spot with a great view quickly. Also, because you're right it's insanely expensive and their drinks are nothing special, we've learned to just always spring for their cheapest bottle of champagne...a) you feel awesome and b) you'll get twice as many drinks out of it as anything else for that price there.

Radiator Whiskey in the market is also a really good option!

Just want to add to this that I've been following Nest on Instagram for a few weeks hoping to go there with friends soon-ish; the views really DO look incredible. Definitely looks like the kind of place where they can swing overcharging for drinks, because man, those views.

I've also heard nothing but good things about Radiator Whiskey. If you plan ahead, you can call and get their Smoked Half Pig Head which I hear is amazing.

If you end up stumbling up to Capitol Hill, Captain Black's and Lookout both also have very nice views on their patios with more reasonably priced (and delicious) drinks. I particularly recommend Lookout's Piña Colada and Captain Black's fried avocado tacos + fried pickles + Tito's hard lemonade on tap (if they happen to have it).

There's so much goddamn good food and drink in this city.

No Anchor is another good option.

https://www.noanchorbar.com

I went here recently for lunch with a friend and absolutely loved it. Their smoked fish spread and beer cocktails are so, so good. The crab roll was also insanely good. It's all good, tbh.

Although I wasn't too big a fan of their carbonated/herbal g&t.

Radiator Whiskey is fantastic. Alibi Room is pretty good. White Horse Courier is great (no food tho). A few blocks north, the Cyclops is my favorite dive bar downtown.

I voted for Oliver with the understanding to myself she wouldn't likely win, but it's helpful to build up a true left-wing opposition to make standard left-liberalism from other folks palatable and slowly move Murray-types out of the center of power.

Brakke

Banned
Bathtub Gin is great but it's a nightmare in the summertime. So hot and stuffy.

Whisky Bar is dope as said.

Also the Diller Room is nearby to the Market. Their cocktails are aces.

jb1234

Komo is forecasting 97 for Thursday. Kiro is going with 92. Either way, it's gonna get hot. And the summer has been so pleasant so far. :(

jb1234

It's getting uglier with each passing hour. Now Komo claims, starting from Tuesday (my birthday, fuck me): 90, 93, 98, 91.

jb1234

So like... is Seattle GAF just a bunch of weather complaints? Does anyone on Seattle GAF actually hang out w/ each other?

As a general rule, no. Sometimes, meet ups are floated around but no one wants to actually do the work of organizing them.

(Which granted, is very Seattle.)

Top Bottom