• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third mistrial in for police officer that murdered his daughter's black boyfriend

xuchu

Couple of more fucked up things about this case:

1. the defendant retired after the shooting, collected a lump sum retirement payment of $160k, and has been collecting a $3000/mo pension retirement since.

2. The daughter was adopted, so the stories that he and his wife dropped her off at a homeless shelter and shot at her during the confrontation shouldn't crazy shocking.

3. in a previous mistrial, one of the jurors revealed that two of the jury members had a "black people are always guilty" attitude and refused to even discuss the case (lol wtf? isn't that your job?). While they haven't revealed the jury makeup or thoughts from this mistrial, it sounds like Tulsa, OK is not gonna be a place where a black guy is gonna get a fair trial.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagel...cle_deb43a2e-33f8-5cc5-bb0a-3654e191638b.html

Nope. Verdicts in criminal cases have to be unanimous, one more person wouldn't have meant much if 4-5 people are holding out.

Holy shit. It just sounds like a dark and depressing parody at this point.

But it's real life. Sickening.

Has there a more ridiculous case than this?

Like is there a case where there were multiple videos of a cop killing someone and somehow gets off for whatever stupid reason?

Pick one Eric garner,( died on video after being put in an illegal choke hold and held down), Terence Crutcher (was also killed by a tulsa, oklahoma cop on video) John Crawford,( was in walmart shopping with his girlfriend on the phone doing absolutely nothing wrong when he was killed by an officer everything on video) Tamir Rice,(12 year old playing in the the park with a bb gun by himself killed by an officer on video) Philando Castille, (was killed doing everything right at a traffic stop killed on video in front of his girlfriend and daughter.) In every single one of those cases the officer was either not indicted or the jury decided that indeed black lives do not matter even with irrefutable video evidence.

Kepler said he pulled the trigger because he saw Lake pull a semi-automatic weapon out of his pocket. Kepler said he fired more than one shot because Lake kept reaching for his gun.

Kepler said he never felt resentment or hatred towards Lake, and said he went to the home where the shooting happened to find his daughter Lisa and ask her to return home.

He said he saw people coming towards him after he pulled the trigger so he got in his car and left.

The former Tulsa Police officer said he was going to call 911 but called his wife instead because "he realized he was in a pickle." Kepler told the prosecution he didn't call 911 because he thought someone else at the scene had done it, but he admitted he didn't see anyone pick up and dial.
The fuck kinda lazy defense is this?

Paz

I'm glad justice was served here, but it's insane that it took three mistrials to reach this point with such a clear cut case.

If this is the bar for a 50-50 shot at getting off for killing black people then the bar is way way way way way too low.

sarcastor

The defense also argued it's not Likely after Kepler's two decades with the Tulsa Police Department that his character would've changed and he would murder someone.

cause working for the police for two decades makes you infallible, or above the law?

Fourth times a charm.

I like this excerpt;

The defense also argued it's not likely after Kepler's two decades with the Tulsa Police Department that his character would've changed and he would murder someone.  

Because what it actually implies is that, if his character hasn't changed, he was a bigoted, hot-headed monster who had no business working in law enforcement for those two decades.

DJwest

In case you forgot or never heard about the case, parents kick out their daughter (age 18) out of the house for sneaking out one day. They drop her off a homeless shelter. A black guy befriends her and gives her a home. They become significant others. Furious dad goes to seek them out one day and finds them walking on the street. He confronts them and shoots the boyfriend, claiming black boyfriend had a gun and was going to shoot him. No other gun was found at the scene. Multiple eye witnesses, including his own daughter, claim he was the agressor who shot the boyfriend. All their testimonies are consistent. Only the police officer has a different story. 3 mistrials so far.
I can't.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Manslaughter? Joking? Like seriously?

Probably to make sure he got convicted. Murder requires proof of intent to kill and is easier for racist juries to deny without appearing obviously racist. Manslaughter just requires proof intent to cause serious injury, which is pretty hard to deny when the guy shot at someone. Sadly, it might have been a choice between the lesser charge or no conviction.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Good, but... four trials. Four. Trials.

This fucking country depresses the shit out of me. I pray for the day that black lives actually mean something in this god damned place.

First degree manslaughter seems like a light sentence, but hey, I’m just glad they found him guilty of something. It shouldn’t have taken four trials, but at least he’s being punished by the law.

Taramoor

Fourth times a charm.

I like this excerpt;

Because what it actually implies is that, if his character hasn't changed, he was a bigoted, hot-headed monster who had no business working in law enforcement for those two decades.

No, it’s literally saying “He was a police officer, therefore he can’t be a murderer.” Which for some reason works way too often.

JettDash

As for why it is manslaughter. At least some of the jury members may have believed that the cop believed that he saw a gun, and so they settled on the lesser included charge of first degree manslaughter. Now I think it that is BS, it was likely murder plain and simple, just trying to explain how it may have went.

It appears the sentence for this crime is minimum of 4 years and max of life. And the jury recommended 15 years. So he will certainly be punished, though probably not appropriately. At least he will never be a cop again and will be a convicted felon the rest of his life.

In case you forgot or never heard about the case, parents kick out their daughter (age 18) out of the house for sneaking out one day. They drop her off a homeless shelter.

Lisa is adopted and over 18 but she was expected to keep some kind of curfew, and she was ditched and disowned when she didn't. That sounds like deeply callous treatment. I hope she gets a chance to start a better family.

JettDash

America is so totally royally FUCKED.

Fix your damn country

A single racist/someone biased in favor of the police can prevent a conviction for such cases. I'm not sure what there is to be done to fix it.

At least in this case the prosecution was willing to try the fucker, at great expense no doubt, four times. In Oklahoma.

A single racist/someone biased in favor of the police can prevent a conviction for such cases. I'm not sure what there is to be done to fix it.

At least in this case the prosecution was willing to try the fucker, at great expense no doubt, four times. In Oklahoma.

Easy: dont have jury trials to decide whether someone is guilty or not, leave it to professionally trained judges.

Mathieran

Banned
Seems like such an open and shut case but here we are. Glad at least some degree of justice will be served.

Our country seriously needs to stop cops like a protected class. It's insane what they can get away with.

Media

Disgusting as it is, I am glad they got him on something. Now we wait for sentencing. Who else thinks he'll get something soft as fuck like probation and time served?

JettDash

Disgusting as it is, I am glad they got him on something. Now we wait for sentencing. Who else thinks he'll get something soft as fuck like probation and time served?

From what I can tell, the minimum is four years (max, life).

The jury has recommended 15 years.

He will actually serve time, I'm pretty sure.

JettDash

Don't you also vote in judges in the US? Sounds like a system that made sense 200 years ago but not today.

Lot of places, yes. Laws are different in every state.

For the federal judges, the President (yes, Donald fucking Trump) gets to pick judges.

FyreWulff

Good they finally got him, still infuriating the prosecutor had to go for manslaughter to do it just to get the racist fucking jury no way around it.

Gaddamn. Never heard of this story. Even his own daughter days he's the aggressor but he still can't get convicted because he's a cop and he killed a Black guy - so the of course, the Black guy somehow "deserved" it. Defense probably playing up the usual racial tropes as well?

You just can't get justice in this country if you're a Black male l feel like. White people can do whatever they want to you and you have no recourse.

Remind me why Black men should stand for the anthem again?

I think getting a white cop a murder conviction for killing a black person is about as impossible as dividing by zero.

All they have to say is "I felt threatened", " I thought he reached for a gun" and thats it for the murder charge and most of the time thats even enough to justify the shooting.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Sad they couldn't get a murder charge. At least a Manslaughter charge sets some kind of precident though

Well I'm glad he was convicted but it still leaves a bitter taste ; it took four trials and he only got manslaughter
I hope sentencing follows the correct path

RS4-

From what I can tell, the minimum is four years (max, life).

The jury has recommended 15 years.

He will actually serve time, I'm pretty sure.

He'll probably be treated like royalty in jail

Like, I'm glad he's being punished, honestly expected another garbage update about him completely walking away for the most part

Top Bottom