• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pole dancing could be on track to becoming an Olympic sport

smurfx

get some go again
how about acrobatic sex? imagine somebody pulling off the helicopter for a score of 10 and an olympic gold medal.

how about acrobatic sex? imagine somebody pulling off the helicopter for a score of 10 and an olympic gold medal.

I don't know man. I think the Chinese judges are just looking for a good straight missionary form. It's all about the clean finish though. You need to be deducted points for splashes, just like diving.

Always impressed by this

Sexy_pole_dancer.gif

What the fuck? How?

I learned pole for a few months from a world champion of IPS. They take that shit serious as hell!! Also pole dancing is incredibly difficult and demanding! It is not just what you see strippers do and there are a lot of male competitors too!

Just something anyone can do...don't need to be an elite athlete or anything.

I'm not saying that she's not, but doing something physically demanding does not necessarily make you an "elite athlete". Every drywalled a ceiling? Ever dug a trench? Ever carried a firehose up 20 flights of stairs? It's incredible what she's doing, but that doesn't 100% mean that any of these activities should be olympic sports, again, outside of the ratings aspect, where watching a person hold 5/8" drywall over their head for 12 hours is not quite as entertaining (unless they are dressed like a pole dancer), but let's be honest, that's what the olympics are (entertainment) and as such it should probably be admitted.

PSqueak

Banned
How come this is getting like nearly no "but the sanctity of the olympics!" replies?

If this was about eSports this thread would be like on page 11 of people outraged about soiling the sanctity of the olympics.

Not to say there is no merit to the act, just seems like people are inconsistent to what should and should not be a sport at the olympics.

TheMan

I'm not going to comment on the one part of your post I agree with, but come on, pole dancing started out in strip clubs. It's like saying beer pong has nothing to do with drinking. I think beer pong takes some level of skill too, but the fact is it has an association with binge drinking that should maybe put it lower on the totem pole (no pun intended) when it comes to being admitted as an olympic sport. Not that I'm comparing sex with binge drinking, but I'm just saying there are connotations to certain activities that go way back.

actually i'm pretty sure pole dancing has been around for a long time in india, done mainly by men and not supposed to be sexy

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
How come this is getting like nearly no "but the sanctity of the olympics!" replies?

If this was about eSports this thread would be like on page 11 of people outraged about soiling the sanctity of the olympics.

Not to say there is no merit to the act, just seems like people are inconsistent to what should and should not be a sport at the olympics.

Struggling to think about a reason, really

Because "eSports" are not sports at all and are literally trash compared to real sports. And "pole fitness" has more going for it in terms of physical-technical excellence than a whole bunch of real sports, never mind "eSports".

Or did you mean sanctity of morals etc. rather than the sanctity of sports as a concept?

shira

What sanctity? The eSports controversey was that it would only be non-violent games like FIFA and Rocket League being considered.

These IOC fuckers don't care about anything except downplaying the drug abuse and using host countries to sell ads.

Tagyhag

No arguments here, rhythmic gymnastics are in and professional pole dancing takes an insane amount of endurance and strength.

zelas

Because these competitors would still be athletes unlike the esports competitors. No inconsistency there.

PSqueak

Banned
Because "eSports" are not sports at all and are literally trash compared to real sports. And "pole fitness" has more going for it in terms of physical-technical excellence than a whole bunch of real sports, never mind "eSports".

Or did you mean sanctity of morals etc. rather than the sanctity of sports as a concept?

Most people in "eSports at the olympics" threads say stuff about how embarrassing it would look on tv and giving medals for what "should not be concidered a sport" people often citing other "fringe sports" as not worthy of being in the olympics.

Then you have this, while legitimate a hardcore discipline requiring body strength and skill, is presented as a fringe sport, hell, look i know people have brought up it's an indian sport traditionally played by males, yet look at the article itself presenting it:

Pole dancing — which guys love to watch and girls love to try to learn at bachelorette party classes — may be looking at Olympic status in the future.

The very report is already reducing the sport to "lol, table dance!" jokes, yet this somehow is spared from getting "protect the olympics!" comments.

And i just find it hypocritical that we're not seeing all those people fervently opposing to eSports ridicule this sport with the same fervor.

What sanctity? The eSports controversey was that it would only be non-violent games like FIFA and Rocket League being considered.

These IOC fuckers don't care about anything except downplaying the drug abuse and using host countries to sell ads.

That was just a tiny fraction of what the people were saying.

There were a minority of people making actually good arguments against eSports (like the fact that eSport games are owned by a single company/entity).

Personally im in the opinion that eSports should be out of the olympics and something like this is more apt for the olympics, but it's just curious that the same people shitting on one fringe sport becoming an olympic event and not shit on a different fringe sport doing the same.

Because these competitors would still be athletes unlike the esports competitors. No inconsistency there.

Ah yes, because eSport "athletes" would not be in the same level as shooting, motor sports or, according to this article, "Foosball" players, eh?

Huh, I would think this was actually referring to Mallakhamb- India's tradition pole dancing. I was hoping it'd eventually be included- the pole dancing performed by men and the rope hang performed by women.

But if they mean western pole dancing, cool too.

Friggz

GAF, i will take one for the team and volunteer myself as a judge.

I hope you all appreciate what im willing to do for you.

Africanus

The Olympics is a corrupt inept sham of a show anyways, so I’m not sure how Pope dancing suddenly betrays the letter of the law anymore than any other sport that was added since the late 1800s.

I’m sure if the Greeks had thought of it and had it in the original, no one would even blink an eye today.

The Olympics is a corrupt inept sham of a show anyways, so I’m not sure how Pope dancing suddenly betrays the letter of the law anymore than any other sport that was added since the late 1800s.

I’m sure if the Greeks had thought of it and had it in the original, no one would even blink an eye today.
I love pope dancing but it hasnt been the same since they got rid of the avignon papacy.

The Olympics is a corrupt inept sham of a show anyways, so I'm not sure how Pope dancingsuddenly betrays the letter of the law anymore than any other sport that was added since the late 1800s.

I'm sure if the Greeks had thought of it and had it in the original, no one would even blink an eye today.

id watch that

This could actually be pretty cool/ exciting to watch. And not just the ladies the guys too. Its some crazy gymnastics, flexibility, and strength involved. I'd imagine it would be great for ratings as well.

That said I would hope they would have an age limit.

Top Bottom