• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
this Wakanda art...
F6KKvAW.png

black070

Is there a particular reason Doctor Strange hasn't released digitally here in the UK ? Amazon, iTunes and the Play Store all have it pegged for the 28th (the physical release date). I was hoping to pick it up today and watch through the behind the scenes stuff, what a shame.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is there a particular reason Doctor Strange hasn't released digitally here in the UK ? Amazon, iTunes and the Play Store all have it pegged for the 28th (the physical release date). I was hoping to pick it up today and watch through the behind the scenes stuff, what a shame.

Other regions, other releasedate

shingi70

Banned
Worst Part about Thor 2 is that didnt do anything g to expand his part of the MCU. Iron Man 2 and Winter Solider both expanded the characters roles and supporting cast in the MCU.

For Thor 2 Marvek just double down on Loki.

kurahador

There's no way Inhumans will manage to meet their September release schedule right? Only 6 months of shooting and post production seems ridiculous to me.
And they are still in the process of building sets!! lol

Pachimari

There's no way Inhumans will manage to meet their September release schedule right? Only 6 months of shooting and post production seems ridiculous to me.
And they are still in the process of building sets!! lol
Someone here from TV-GAF mentioned that it is way more time than other TV productions. So they have plenty of time.

mreddie

New Cast additions for Cloak and Dagger

Andrea Roth (“Rescue Me,” “Blue Bloods”) will portray Melissa Bowen, Tandy’s mom,
who is the eternal optimist despite the struggles to adapt to her new existence. While complex and emotionally composed, her love for her daughter burns bright. Tyrone’s mother, Adina Johnson, will be played by Gloria Reuben (“ER,” “Mr. Robot). Mrs. Johnson invests every aspect of her being into giving her son the life she believes he deserves. But she props up and protects Tyrone so much she almost forgets to love him. Miles Mussenden (“Bloodline,” “Queen Sugar”) will star as Tyrone’s father, Michael Johnson, who trudges through his desk job to keep his family safe and happy. Mr. Johnson is a working class father does what he can to ensure his son will grow up to be a great man. Liam will be played by Carl Lundstedt (“Grey’s Anatomy, “Conviction”), a salt-of-the-earth townie who operates as Tandy’s partner in crime while moonlighting as her boyfriend. . But underneath his rough-around-the-edges appearance, Liam has big dreams. Portrayed by James Saito (“Life of Pi,” “The Devil’s Advocate”), Dr. Bernard Sanjo has been an emotional cornerstone in Tyrone’s life; they have a most unusual relationship. J.D. Evermore (“True Detective,” “The Walking Dead”) will take the part of Detective Connors, who is a contradiction of a man, embracing an intimidating persona that overcompensates for a secret he keeps close to the vest.

The physical release date actually seems to be the 6th March here according to Amazon and HMV.

Wow Thor 3 could easily be the unexpected best MCU film this year for me.

Been that way for me since SDCC. Out of everything Marvel showed at that panel, Ragnarok's stuff was by far the most impressive/exciting. I don't think they've even released the art of all the crazy locations yet. If Waititi can somehow bring together all the stuff in the movie, I can't imagine it not being one of the MCU's best films.

Irobot82

Is Captain Marvel going to be in Infinity Wars part 1? Or part 2?

Does anyone think the next big phase is moving to The Skrull Wars?

duckroll

Wow Thor 3 could easily be the unexpected best MCU film this year for me.

Please go watch What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople pls.

Nothing unexpected about it imo. It'll be the next Iron Man 3. I'm sure some people will get bent when it's not what they expected, but this is going to be one awesome unique film.

El Topo

Is Captain Marvel going to be in Infinity Wars part 1? Or part 2?

I think Brie Larson was listed in the casting call and the Russos "confirmed" her, but who knows, really? Given that Feige said Captain Marvel would be an origin story ("from the start"), I'd say we can't expect much (for IW).
The honest answer is that none of us know.

Edit:
Good God, don't let Captain Marvel be a prequel though.

Worst Part about Thor 2 is that didnt do anything g to expand his part of the MCU. Iron Man 2 and Winter Solider both expanded the characters roles and supporting cast in the MCU.

For Thor 2 Marvek just double down on Loki.
For real, Thor has a great cast of supporting characters but all Dark World gave us was two forgettable throwaway villains in Malekith and Kurse.

I think Brie Larson was listed in the casting call and the Russos "confirmed" her, but who knows, really? Given that Feige said Captain Marvel would be an origin story ("from the start"), I'd say we can't expect much (for IW).
The honest answer is that none of us know.

Edit:
Good God, don't let Captain Marvel be a prequel though.

I'm guessing she shows up in IW, but doesn't get powers until her own movie. She's military (I assume) so it would still make sense for her to be around without them.

Wait. What parts don't they own for Kang?
Well, I think this is where the rights are more nebulous. Kang appears in the Avengers comics, but he's strongly affiliated with the F4. It's like the Kingpin issue, where Kingpin appears first in Spider-Man but is strongly affiliated with Daredevil.

So, there's legal wrangling needed, but it's a shared character imo. I just think Feige would rather use Kang for an F4 story than an Avengers story but it all depends really.

Showaddy

I'd be disappointed if they had the rights to Kang and wasted him as a F4 villain, in the post Thanos MCU he'd be one of the few villains that would actually seem like a big deal.

I mean not that they're ever getting the F4 rights off Fox anyway...

Well, I think this is where the rights are more nebulous. Kang appears in the Avengers comics, but he's strongly affiliated with the F4. It's like the Kingpin issue, where Kingpin appears first in Spider-Man but is strongly affiliated with Daredevil.

So, there's legal wrangling needed, but it's a shared character imo. I just think Feige would rather use Kang for an F4 story than an Avengers story but it all depends really.

According to Gunn, Fox has the rights. Doesn't sound it's shared.

The Kree

Banned
Hmm. That's weird. Maybe it works such that the side the character is most closely linked to gets the rights. Kang's appeared in a hell of lot more FF stories than Avengers, so maybe that was the criteria. It would explain Kingpin as well.

It's whatever is explicitly spelled out in the contracts. Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver are the lone exception to that rule as far as we know. Grey areas don't really exist with character rights. Same reason Namor is a mutant but can never appear in a Fox movie, same reason Eden Fesi is in the MCU as an Inhuman even though he's a mutant in the books.

Kang, Immortus, whatever. I would just love to see him in a movie as the villain. But he is tied to FF. There are so many great side characters tied up with those rights that it is infuriating. Everyone rightfully lamenting Doom being tied up with those rights (and Doom would be nothing without Reed Richards. RICHAAAAAARDS!), but so many other great villains and whatnot are bound to it as well.

Kang, Annihilus, Silver Surfer, Galactus, Super Skrull. Ugh, it hurts. So many things that Marvel could just go balls to the wall crazy with if they could.

It's whatever is explicitly spelled out in the contracts. Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver are the lone exception to that rule as far as we know. Grey areas don't really exist with character rights. Same reason Namor is a mutant but can never appear in a Fox movie, same reason Eden Fesi is in the MCU as an Inhuman even though he's a mutant in the books.
I don't think so. I very seriously doubt that each contract they had spelled out explicitly which characters they could and couldn't use. More likely, the way the contracts were worded likely stated "Fantastic Four and all Fantastic Four affiliated characters." Namor was sold separately, hence why he's not available and was likely retconned into being a mutant since Namor was part of the initial Invaders books. Fesi was a Secret Warriors character, one Marvel owns as evidenced by Quake, so he's a character that showed up in a TV/Studios-owned book and is affiliated with Studios properties, hence he's theirs. He may be a mutant but there's a loophole or something that says newly created mutants are Studios' IP not Fox's.

I think, in actuality, there are way more gray areas than we know of. Stuff like Kang or Fin Fang Foom or Nextwave or whatnot is in there because of the confusion as to who is affiliated with what. At the end of the day, Fox, Studios, Sony and whoever needed to settle on which characters can be used on where so that none of them sues the other for breach of contract. That's why they need a lot of time to parse the legalese used when these contracts were signed to not only work out who has what but also what is shared.

So, in Kang's case, he's most strongly associated with F4 so he is Fox's. The Shi'ar were created in an X-Men comic and have mainly fought the X-Men hence they are Fox's too. The Skrulls are in both because of Secret Invasion and their origin in the F4. That's how I think it breaks down.

Marvel can use Skrulls, but not Super Skrull, especially since his entire power base is tied to the FF. Of course, that wouldn't stop them from having random Skrulls with powers of random characters in the MCU, but they have so few "gifted" or "enhanced" characters to draw from it wouldn't work well quite yet.

I don't think so. I very seriously doubt that each contract they had spelled out explicitly which characters they could and couldn't use. More likely, the way the contracts were worded likely stated "Fantastic Four and all Fantastic Four affiliated characters."

I think it's actually a mix of both. Certain characters are specifically named while also having, for lack of a better term, a "base rule" ala "You get access to all characters introduced in X" for brevity's sake. I remember reading a story about it when going in to some X-Men rights but that was years ago and I can't find the specific article. It's not like that's all there is to the contracts though and I'm sure there are other details and exceptions written in to call out or exempt certain characters among other things.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
People had asking about Marvel Cinematic Universe 4K Blu-Rays and (edit: not Constantin Film, its Concorde, I am an Idiot) the german distributor of the Iron Man movies, is releasing on april 6th these movies on 4K Blu-Ray.

They will inlcude the english dubbs and are region free. Also, this is a worldwide premiere, these movies do not exist on this media anywhere else on the world so far.

There will be a Trilogy Amaray, every movie seperate and a 6 discs Collectors Edition in a Steelbook edition.

If you think about preordering, here is the link, its 66€ and you can activate a english version of the Amazon website with a click on the globe under the searchfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom