• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Previews

It has approximately 1,000,000 2d trees on display when racing in Canada.
Of course it does. In exactly the same way as Skyrim's distant trees are 2D. Up close and roadside they're 3D.

I'd argue that track racers maybe don't need 3D trees, unless natural environments are a big focus point of the game like in Driveclub, but they certainly do improve screenshots and, for some people, immersion. The focus on environment art and quality is a good reason Driveclub is still considered by many as the best looking racer though. Hardly surprising that some people want more of this level of environment quality:

UmTHIFQ.gif

SdHRN7q.gif

H17T9Vh.gif

Niks

It was told that it takes 6 months to produce modeling of one car, but has this been changed from the past?

It has not changed. It took six months even in the era of "Gran Turismo 5". Efficiency of the production process itself is rising due to the efficiency of the production process and evolution of the tool itself, but the production period is not going to be quite short as its target quality is also rising at the same time.

Maybe hire more people then?

- Is there a possibility that it will become even shorter by future evolution of technology?

In terms of cars, I think it is quite difficult. For each car, we are already automating parts that can be automated, and human beings are doing things that can only really be done by humans, so it is very difficult to further improve efficiency. Modeling of "Gran Turismo" is probably the only title in race games that is in existence, all in-house with polyphony digital and outsourced titles. That is the element that supports the quality of the series and I think that part must be protected as "Gran Turismo".

The modeling of this car's car is built with quality that can be said as full specifications at the present level, will further quality rise from now?

Modeling of the current car is being produced as a model that can be used for the next ten years, I think that it will probably make it up to the scale of 1,000 and 2,000 by current specifications. In the series of "Gran Turismo", it will be about the 4th genera- tion modeling, but in the meantime the specifications of the hardware are rising by several hundred thousand times. If it is decided that the quality is not enough for what we want to do at the end of 10 years actually, we will rebuild from the beginning again.
Of fucking course you would. So, maybe hire more people then?

Auctopus

Not to create a "Who does it better?" argument but those 6 months to produce a car model comments are ridiculous.

Driveclub, a game which has excellent car models to the point you can use Photomode to zoom right in to each detail (not sure about the chassis but tbh, GT has had some scaletrix-etc chassises in the past) managed to create car models in a matter of weeks. Rushy would visit the Driveclub GAF thread and read requests from players who wanted particular car models and sometimes within 2 months, that car would be in the game.

I know PD are known for being absolutely meticulous but 6 months to create a car is outrageous in this day and age.

Yiazmat

Not to create a "Who does it better?" argument but those 6 months to produce a car model comments are ridiculous.

Driveclub, a game which has excellent car models to the point you can use Photomode to zoom right in to each detail (not sure about the chassis but tbh, GT has had some scaletrix-etc chassises in the past) managed to create car models in a matter of weeks. Rushy would visit the Driveclub GAF thread and read requests from players who wanted particular car models and sometimes within 2 months, that car would be in the game.

I know PD are known for being absolutely meticulous but 6 months to create a car is outrageous in this day and age.
Nope

22. Each car takes approximately seven months to create – from initial licensing, reference collation, CAD data processing, asset production, physics modelling, through to the final car in-game.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/05/51-driveclub-details-might-just-blow-mind/

magawolaz

Maybe they were already modeling some famous cars?
The PS blog talked about 7 months per car.

6-7 months seems to be the standard, I believe Turn10 takes around the same time for Forza cars. But as Niks says, they should totally hire more modelers/programmers.

EDIT: too slow.

Stefano Casillo said, the shortest time they can make a car for Assetto once the licensing is done is 5 weeks. The difference is that Kunos doesn't really make cars in parallel I guess, they're only ~30 people, focus on one car and unless a bigger problem pops up, they finish this car, before they start working on the next.

I'm sure they would if that was the answer, these things don't tend to scale linearly. Especially if they've already automated as much as they can.

It's not that simple, you know that.

Not that I'm defending Polyphony. I think their insistence of not outsourcing the development of their car's 3D models is hurting them more than it's helping.

but it's not as easy as hiring more people. Hell, Polyphony is a pretty large studio tbh.

ori0n378e

Didn't read thread, sorry if answered but are we still not able to use our old G-25 setup for PS4? GT is my favourite game but haven't played since a little bit after GT6 release. I want but will not buy if G-25 is not supported.

thelastword

Banned
Menus still look awful and awkward to navigate, loading looks like a pain too.

I lost interest in Gran Turismo a long time ago, it's all about Forza now.

Shame I don't have an Xbox though!
Wow, strange comment. You're all about Forza but you don't have an XBOX...I guess you must have a PC then since you're all about Forza? Still a strange comment to make in a GT thread.....

ethomaz

Banned
Menus still look awful and awkward to navigate, loading looks like a pain too.

I lost interest in Gran Turismo a long time ago, it's all about Forza now.

Shame I don't have an Xbox though!
If you played the demo you will know menus and navigation are the best you ever see in a racing game,

It works flawless.

About the loading in my opinion it is lower than GT6 to start a race... not a big deal like GT5.

Is the custom race mode the new GT6 Course Maker?

Mentioned once then forgotten about for two years before being added with an update. 😢

With three weeks to go shouldn't the game have gone gold by now with review copies shipped out?

Hopefully they use this new upcoming delay period to fix this mess up.

Yeah. The game should be gold already with review copies being sent out. Yet... I'm not seeing much if any coverage in the media. This is concerning.

coiler

The game has to go gold two weeks before the date to make it in time. With PD's PR don't even count that they announce it..

KdotIX

Complains about lack of content, asks for a game with less content. GT3 was a big disappointment, all eye candy, in no way better than GT2.

Wat. GT3 is like the most highly regarded GT game amongst many fans. Was the perfect balance of style and substance, even with the lower content of cars.

BigEmil

Complains about lack of content, asks for a game with less content. GT3 was a big disappointment, all eye candy, in no way better than GT2.
It's got campaign content which is non existent in GTS that automatically makes it the better game

Also in GT3 favour it was a near launch title for PS2, while GTS 4 years after PS4 and we still get this empty game called GTSport :(

Korezo

I love GT but is this game going to even be worth it without ps+ because I never played 5 or 6 online. The only one I really liked and played online alot was gt5P

Servbot24

Banned
Although the number of recordable units at the time of release is 150, most of them seem to be sports cars. Will general automobiles appear in future?

I am planning to add it by update or download contents. The reason why sports cars, especially racing cars, was needed from the beginning was that we had to prepare all the categories of race cars for the FIA ​​championship this time. At first glance it seems that the gravity is inclined to that, but not only sports cars, but also old cars, family cars everyone carries, or old classic cars, such cars are also important as "Gran Turismo" Because it exists, I want to add more and more.

That's good to know. I'll get this game in a year or two probably.

I love GT but is this game going to even be worth it without ps+ because I never played 5 or 6 online. The only one I really liked and played online alot was gt5P

Almost certainly not from the looks of things

magawolaz

Like GT5P it does have matchmaking (which was also added to GT6, but later on) and the same kind of tuning system... but no without PS+ it's probably not worth it.

farisr

Less content than GT2, sure. Less content than this game for the folks that care about career mode? No. GT3 is actually pretty even in regards to car and track count.

The thing that made GT3 better to the people that have an issue with this game is that it released very shortly after console launch, had a much better car & track selection and of course featured a full fledged career mode that was supported by their excellent choices in regards to the car selcetion.

Also, a lot of people have an issue with the car selection in this game, even folks who don't care bout SP and are all about that online racing. I think if they had handled this game like GT3 in regards to car selection, a lot more people would be satisfied.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I think Sony understand they fucked the pooch and then some with the hardcore audience for the game, they genuinely don't seem to be bothering which is fucking amazing. During the Asia conference shit like COD was getting promoted but not GT Sport? Fuck me, what a mess up.

Sony will just advertise GT Sport on TV to hell and back soon enough, they will not skimp out on that but man oh man this game has me worried when Sony are sweeping it under the rug. Still got it pre-ordered and will pick it up day 1 but shit, have they even shown weather yet?

They could have salvaged it had they left even SP component of 6 in the new game untouched even. I honestly don't understand what exactly they're doing with this game. I don't want to play online, I want Gran Turismo. Why did they change the entire game to build it around online play?

Egida

Neo Member
They could have salvaged it had they left even SP component of 6 in the new game untouched even. I honestly don't understand what exactly they're doing with this game. I don't want to play online, I want Gran Turismo. Why did they change the entire game to build it around online play?
The money of course. If the game is a huge success they have a new game as a service platform from which they can monetize everything from new cars to stickers, wheels, you name it. Also mandatory PS+.

IMO it's abundantly clear that had they wanted they could have included a campaign mode. I mean, they have the IA, the cars and the circuits, it's not like they have to develop a different game.

Niks

I'm sure they would if that was the answer, these things don't tend to scale linearly. Especially if they've already automated as much as they can.

It's not that simple, you know that.

Not that I'm defending Polyphony. I think their insistence of not outsourcing the development of their car's 3D models is hurting them more than it's helping.

but it's not as easy as hiring more people. Hell, Polyphony is a pretty large studio tbh.

Correct me if im wrong but Polyphony is small compared to Turn10, dunno about Slightly Mad Studios tho

Razgreez said:
PSN only shows the standard edition and digital deluxe edition. Are there any items that are exclusive to the deluxe edition I.e. items that cannot be obtained in game?

I think some decals?

Fukuzatsu

Honestly, I don't even care if the campaign is a bit light, I just want to know what exactly is locked behind PS Plus. The Japanese box has a label on it that says "Online-only" (オンライン専用) but that seems absurd.

Top Bottom