• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World TGS 2017 Trailer

Akainu

It's interesting - the more I see this game, the less nterested I am actually become in it, which is actually the reverse of my initial hype when it was first revealed.

I think one of the first things that turned me off of it was the fact that the new art direction for the faces has moved in such a "serious" or "realistic" direction that it loses some of the anime charm that the series has had for a long time.

I realize that MonHun hasn't always been about about anime - if at all - but the shift certainly seems out of keeping with what I've come to expect from the series thus far.

Here's a dude from the generations opening.

z1bnQvn.png

Probably from the most anime (combat wise) the series has ever been.

Ridley327

This reminds me of some criticizing PS4 DQ11 look even tho it's the closest thing to the CGs.

That's a different issue, since a lot of people would have rather it gone more in a cel-shaded direction to look more like Toriyama's hand-drawn art, like DQ8. The CG look for that game does little for me and others.

It's interesting - the more I see this game, the less nterested I am actually become in it, which is actually the reverse of my initial hype when it was first revealed.

I think one of the first things that turned me off of it was the fact that the new art direction for the faces has moved in such a "serious" or "realistic" direction that it loses some of the anime charm that the series has had for a long time.

I realize that MonHun hasn't always been about about anime - if at all - but the shift certainly seems out of keeping with what I've come to expect from the series thus far.

Monster Hunter has always had realistic faces though.

They are simply more detailed now so instead of seeing characters facially animate in CG cutscenes we can now see it rendered in-engine.

Nothing yet. I am guessing march/April. Really depends on how far along they are with it.

The fact that they're saying the PC version will "follow at a later date" has me thinking March/April too.

It's not "we'll talk about PC after the console version comes out," which usually equates to "it's about a year away" like with FFXV. At the same time, if it was only going to be a week or two extra they'd probably just say so.

The Dink

Finally. A raptor-ish large monster that attacks with its taloned feet.

That coral region really looks great. I'm loving the visuals and verticality. Fluffy bat and the white-winged monster both fighting like Raths is slightly disappointing but they seem to have enough variety to keep things interesting. Hoping we get some more representations of the other monster types and possibly new types altogether. Temnocerans, snake wyverns and fanged wyverns could use some love.

Akiller

The fact that they're saying the PC version will "follow at a later date" has me thinking March/April too.

It's not "we'll talk about PC after the console version comes out," which usually equates to "it's about a year away" like with FFXV. At the same time, if it was only going to be a week or two extra they'd probably just say so.

Also, doesn't the fiscal year end in march?
If so they'll probably want it out before then so they can get some more sales.

Ridley327

That coral region really looks great. I'm loving the visuals and verticality. Fluffy bat and the white-winged monster both fighting like Raths is slightly disappointing but they seem to have enough variety to keep things interesting. Hoping we get some more representations of the other monster types and possibly new types altogether. Temnocerans, snake wyverns and fanged wyverns could use some love.

Great Wroggi was all about attacking with its feet, though. This one certainly looks a lot less annoying to fight, though.

umbra

There was an EGX Monster Hunter World stream earlier today, and I don't think we've ever seen this mantle before. Socks head is in the way but its called the waterproof mantle.

Waterproof Mantle - Reduces water damage, nullifies waterblight, reduces mobility restrictions in muck and negates them entirely for deep water

wzgyFCM.png

SharkJAW

This all looks so good! From the weapon additions to the monster behavior to the seamless sandbox. I can’t wait to see what this looks like on graphics mode on my Pro.

I feel as though I should’ve gone on media blackout already. I think I’m going to tap out now so the potential tundra/volcano monsters are surprises.

Also, doesn't the fiscal year end in march?
If so they'll probably want it out before then so they can get some more sales.

Yeah, guarantee it will still be this fiscal year.

Hopefully sooner rather than later... it's going to be REALLY HARD for me to resist grabbing the PS4 version and waiting for that based MT Framework port.

DMiz

Here's a dude from the generations opening.

z1bnQvn.png

Probably from the most anime (combat wise) the series has ever been.

Monster Hunter has always had realistic faces though.

They are simply more detailed now so instead of seeing characters facially animate in CG cutscenes we can now see it rendered in-engine.

Both very fair points. I guess the faces that I see right now are not that impressive - not 'ugly' in the way that FROM character creation faces are ugly, but just a bit... not impressive, ha ha. I have no other words than that!

Regardless, I know I'm getting this. Most likely on PC, given the I won't have to pay for the online at that point, but it's still a game that I will pick up Day 1 just to muck around in it for a bit.

If the itemization is as strong as it always has been, and the new mechanics with the Scout Fly don't turn out to diminish the exploration of an open world (although I know that this has never really been a selling feature of the series, either), I think I can see myself putting in at least the same number of hours as I have with the other game.s

Toxi

Banned

Coral area is one of those ideas that's just fantastic.

You are probably confused because they made the faces to accommodate the hardware

Top Bottom