• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSiWare: please recommend me some games

Wizpig

Having bought a DSi XL I had 1.000 free points.
I used those with Mario vs. DK (800) and a 200 points game from Intelligent Systems featuring a bird who kills ghosts with bombs... kind of weird.

Anyway, what should I look at?
Dragon Quest Wars is ONLINE, looks kinda cool, but what genre is it, exactly?
What about Bomberman DSiWare (online aswell) ?

Other titles?

I'm in a similar situation, bought my DSiXL last week, got the 1000 points, but nothing really stands out as worth getting. I also would welcome suggestions.

A DSi Virtual Console can't come soon enough!

mooooose

Trajectile, definitely. It's an addictive Arkanoid-esque puzzle game with over 500 levels.

Starship Defense is another great game by the same developer (Q Games of PixelJunk Fame). It is a very interesting Tower Defense game.

Boxlife is good, but I'm not very good at it. Picobits is good, has great music, but is overrated.

Bird & Beans and Paper Plane are two classics from WarioWare that are cheap and addictive. Great when you only have two or three minutes to play something and you're bored.

Wizpig

mooooose said:
Trajectile, definitely. It's an addictive Arkanoid-esque puzzle game with over 500 levels.

Starship Defense is another great game by the same developer (Q Games of PixelJunk Fame). It is a very interesting Tower Defense game.

Boxlife is good, but I'm not very good at it. Picobits is good, has great music, but is overrated.

Bird & Beans and Paper Plane are two classics from WarioWare that are cheap and addictive. Great when you only have two or three minutes to play something and you're bored.
Paper Plane is awesome, but I won't use 200 points for an old minigame I played years ago.
I mean, I really want it, but for free :/

Thanks for the other suggestions (we need demos)
And yeah I forgot Picobits... is it that Nintendo game with YMCK music?! must buy.

@Mama Robotnik: how do you find Brightness Level 5 on the XL? compared to older DS, I mean.
Like, the DS Lite had only 4 levels, but level 4 seems a lot brighter than level 5 on the XL, right?
Is that for battery issues?
Anyway, 2d games are so much better.
Oh, buy Mario vs. DK, it's awesome, trust me.

Boney

Banned
I haven't really spend that much time with the DSiware, but I definately recommend Paper Airplane Chase. It feels kinda like a scam, since it was from the first WarioWare, but it's so much fun! Perfect for pick up and play with the time trails, and long time of boredom with the endless mode.

The Pyoro one, Bird & Beans, is really fun after you get around 20.000 points, but the begging is so slooooooow. They're two similar games so it's cool.

Pictobits is an amazing puzzle/action game. It's so fast it's an action game for me, and retro flavor really spices things up.

And the last game I got was Mighty Flip Champs, which is kinda cool, but I don't really recommend it.

How does the DSi feel by the way.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm hoping all of the games I'm recommending are out on the US store (I only have a JP DSi):

1) Dragon Quest Wars (it's a simplified SRPG)
2) Reflect Missile
3) Photo Dojo (when it releases)
4) Artstyle Aquario

mooooose

Picobits is nowhere near fleshed out enough. It has like 20 levels and they get boring after beating them. It's really not that great and shouldn't be high on the list. DSiWare has more to offer now.

Provider

200 Points

Aura Aura Climber; cheap and it's a full game with varios modes and a lot of things to keep it interesting for a good while.
Escapee Go; If you like pacman.

500 Points

Flight Control; A lot of fun, gets hard pretty fast.
Dark Void Zero; Awesome retro platforming.
Trajectile; Challenging. A lot of rewards (not real rewards; achievement-like rewards).
ArtStyle Base 10; Infinite mode will have you hooked for hours (if you're that good)
ArtStyle Boxlife; Awesome, best DSiWare game.
ArtStyle Pictobits; HARD, awesome music.

800 Points

Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: MMA; A lot of levels, download/make levels.

No_Style said:
I can vouch for Starship Defense. It's pretty damn good. The only downside is the lack of variety towards the end.

This one is good too. I'm just sick of tower defense games that's why I left it out.

Wizpig

thetrin said:
I'm hoping all of the games I'm recommending are out on the US store (I only have a JP DSi):

1) Dragon Quest Wars (it's a simplified SRPG)
2) Reflect Missile
3) Photo Dojo (when it releases)
4) Artstyle Aquario
Don't worry --- I'm on the European store, so it has even less games :lol

Boney, did you mean "how does the DSi XL feel"?
If so, the majority of 2d games are really something else, the Castlevania games are like going from SD to HD.
3d games are beautiful, but they are just as they were on the Lite, just ... bigger.
The actual buttons are also wonderful, the dpad too.
Less bright than DS Lite / DSi though, I'd say.
Oh, but I should mention I almost have 0 ghosting, and on my 2 DS Lite I had terrible ghosting problems, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9gLAvpjMFM

Wizpig

About Dark Void Zero, I've been wondering if it's Metroid like or Bionic Commando (platform) like.

Also is it really better than the HD Dark Void game?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Mama Robotnik said:
I'm in a similar situation, bought my DSiXL last week, got the 1000 points, but nothing really stands out as worth getting. I also would welcome suggestions.

A DSi Virtual Console can't come soon enough!

I would prefer it if your DSi account could just be linked to your Wii shop account. and then you could download games from the entire VC to the DSi.

(and gb games released for the VC of course)

Yagharek

Pyoro. Paper Plane. Reflect Missile. Starship Patrol. Boxlife.

Thats what I have and Starship Patrol is my favourite. Absolutely amazing little tower defence game.

Flipnote studio is a must get too, but thats free.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
  • starship patrol - tower defense for the tower-defense aversive
  • trajectile - i dare you
  • rayman - still a darn good platformer
  • pop island - CTF bliss. also one of the best action offerings on dsiware
  • pictobits / base 10 / aquia / boxlife/ zengage - art style with a style
  • dark void zero - retro action bliss.
  • perhistorik - arguably titus' best platformer from the 16-bit era.

My top ten DSiWare:

1. Art Style: PiCTOBiTS
2. Starship Defense
3. Art Style: DIGIDRIVE (Intersect)
4. Link 'n' Launch
5. Trajectile (Reflect Missle)
6. Dark Void Zero
7. Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon
8. Paper Airplane Chase
9. Art Style: BASE 10
10. Bird and Beans

Wizpig

blu said:
  • starship patrol - tower defense for the tower-defense aversive
  • trajectile - i dare you
  • rayman - still a darn good platformer
  • pop island - CTF bliss. also one of the best action offerings on dsiware
  • pictobits / base 10 / aquia / boxlife/ zengage - art style with a style
  • dark void zero - retro action bliss.
  • perhistorik - arguably titus' best platformer from the 16-bit era.
Is Rayman the full GBA porting of the Ps1 version?

Top Bottom