• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Lain

when you randomly get a legendary out of nowhere on your fresh 110 and your favorite character doesnt have one /shrug

thats the "risk" in playing 56 characters I guess. Its a shit one too, heroic leap gets 3 charges whoopedy do.

I logged on and opened the BS bag from turning 100 resources and got a leg too, on my warrior and it was even worse (Aggramar's Stride). QQ

Finally got Fenryr. I overthought it. I threw on the legendary legs, basically stood still, barraged the adds, and dps'd the shit out of him. Good times.

Wait, people are still in public chat channels? :p

If you aren't in my guild or party (or on my friends list) I have zero interest in talking to you.

I want to talk in those public channels but they're just so awful. I've had general and trade muted on all of my characters for quite awhile now.

Congrats!
I'm just trying to do him and I died at 1% XD.

Yeah, I would get between 10 and like 2%, but the issue was i was running too much. Then I got the legs, and I basically stood in one spot, made sure I barraged the adds, multi shot, kept the pet up etc. Pots and flasks help TREMENDOUSLY.

Fjordson

I still have the public chat channels for the occasional PUG search or to sell something, but they're in their own window.

Mainly because of LFG. That's an absolute cesspool on both of the servers I play on.

Dugna

I bet there are still people who moan that WoW is too easy now.

the reason for the stupid amount of wipes to mythic KJ was talked about in the method interview, it overall wasn't a super hard mechanical fight just really overtuned..it had to be nerfed several times for it to be passable and required class stacking but thats the norm.

So again only reason it took so long wasn't boss difficulty it was inflated difficulty.

https://www.method.gg/7-days-alone-at-the-top-kil-jaeden-killers

Will mythic KJ be a challenge for majority of guilds? Of course but overall mythic KJ isn't some outlier in terms of actual difficulty.

Lain

Well, managed to solo Fenryr after a 10 deaths or so, but I had to leave to restock on stuff in between and I guess I took too long because Fenryr hasn't repopped after the kill. Bah.

Fjordson

Anyone in an alliance guild that could sell me a normal Kil'Jaeden kill?

Didn't play much for about two weeks and now everyone needs the achievement in LFG (even though I'm 915 and know the fights).

Syf

Banned
If my guild was alliance I'd take you along for free tomorrow. No way you should be paying for a normal run at 915.

Goddamn, my RNG luck is beyond bad. Did a H NH, a N toS + 2 LFR ToS + LFR NH and 3 +5 M+ dungeons and got literally nothing. even on bonus roll. Meanwhile my friend gets two legendarys back to back. and titan TWF relics.

Wait, people are still in public chat channels? :p

If you aren't in my guild or party (or on my friends list) I have zero interest in talking to you.

While I understand the sentiment, I am not in a guild and only know one person in rl that plays the game. Completely omitting the larger community outside of raid and M+ PUGS makes WoW sort of like a mediocre single player rpg where I see others milling about occasionally in quest zones and faction hubs.

TheYanger

Goddamn, my RNG luck is beyond bad. Did a H NH, a N toS + 2 LFR ToS + LFR NH and 3 +5 M+ dungeons and got literally nothing. even on bonus roll. Meanwhile my friend gets two legendarys back to back. and titan TWF relics.

feelsbadman :(

And man those exorsus KJ numbers...Method's numbers sounded insane, but not out of line with previous 'really fucking hard'bosses (which are all in the 300-500ish range of wipes for first kills)...900 is INSANE. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the most wipes any guild has ever had at a boss in the mythic scene.

Entropia

No One Remembers
feelsbadman :(

And man those exorsus KJ numbers...Method's numbers sounded insane, but not out of line with previous 'really fucking hard'bosses (which are all in the 300-500ish range of wipes for first kills)...900 is INSANE. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the most wipes any guild has ever had at a boss in the mythic scene.

Yeah, but it sounds like , up until Blizzard actually properly tuned it, it was nigh impossible.

Also, Exorsus is pissed Blizzard nerfed it even further.

Bregor

Yeah, but it sounds like , up until Blizzard actually properly tuned it, it was nigh impossible.

Also, Exorsus is pissed Blizzard nerfed it even further.

I don't have much sympathy for Exorsus. The fight needs to be balanced for the vast majority of mythic raiding guilds, not for those going for world first. When you think about it, it would be almost impossible to balance a final boss fight such that it both was achievable for mythic raiders and also provided an exciting race to world first.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I've been digging my rogue lately but man, I sure do have a dearth of leather and dagger transmog options. My most played classes throughout all of WoW have been Shaman, Lock, DK, and hunter, so I've rarely played a class that can unlock leather and only sometimes daggers. I have a lot of old raid runs to do.

TheYanger

I don't have much sympathy for Exorsus. The fight needs to be balanced for the vast majority of mythic raiding guilds, not for those going for world first. When you think about it, it would be almost impossible to balance a final boss fight such that it both was achievable for mythic raiders and also provided an exciting race to world first.

That's not true at all, the problem with the boss is that it was overtuned so highly to begin with. There are plenty of bosses that have been cool for the top guilds, not COMPLETELY broken (or if they were, fixed qucikly), and then just marginally tuned down after a month or so. Many bosses have not even required significant adjustment.

If KJ was going to be nerfed, it should've been when it was apparent that it was severely too hard, not literally the instant they finally kill it (I'd have been upset if I were them too). Class stacking always happens, but method's comp shows this boss was legit fucked, not unlike Paragon taking 13 druids to Neferian back in the day, whichw as also fixed INSTANTLY after they killed it. There's a line between a hard boss and an (effectively) broken boss. Hard bosses reward things like stacking because they're just exploiting efficiency. Broken bosses require degenerate strats like that.

EDIT: My bad, Paragon was 11 druids.

Bregor

That's not true at all, the problem with the boss is that it was overtuned so highly to begin with. There are plenty of bosses that have been cool for the top guilds, not COMPLETELY broken (or if they were, fixed qucikly), and then just marginally tuned down after a month or so. Many bosses have not even required significant adjustment.

If KJ was going to be nerfed, it should've been when it was apparent that it was severely too hard, not literally the instant they finally kill it (I'd have been upset if I were them too). Class stacking always happens, but method's comp shows this boss was legit fucked, not unlike Paragon taking 13 druids to Neferian back in the day, whichw as also fixed INSTANTLY after they killed it. There's a line between a hard boss and an (effectively) broken boss. Hard bosses reward things like stacking because they're just exploiting efficiency. Broken bosses require degenerate strats like that.

EDIT: My bad, Paragon was 11 druids.

It was nerfed before even before Method killed it, they just took it in steps.

TheYanger

It was nerfed before even before Method killed it, they just took it in steps.

Yes, that always happens though, the point is if it's taking 900 wipes for the next guild and the first guild had to class stack literally 50% of their raid, it's still broken. Virtually every boss has tweaks that happen before the4 first kill, but it's usually relatively quickly, and usually it's stuff like tweaking numbers and whatnot, things like the number of armageddon rains and the mobility requirements on this boss were CLEARLY fucked from the start, even if those weren't specifically 'impossible' if you were willing to stack a ton. Watch the KJ videos, it's just too much 'soaking' of different mechanics, while moving around the room, there's basically one class that can handle that (rogues). Like, yeah it looks fun, but it's a designer jerking off on 'yeah that'll be cool' wihtout thinking about how most classes literally cannot deal with that shit.

iFirez

Even though you can start Legion content at 98, I'd recommend at least being 100 and farming some gear tokens from the north-west region of Tanaan, the Ruins of Kra'Nak, as well as farming up specific Tanaan treasures before going into Legion content. Legion's scaling is kind of wonky and ilvl matters. The quest leading up to the Broken Shore and the Broken Shore scenario itself are tuned for 650(Tanaan)-700(Invasion event/WoD raid) ilvl gear. At 98 you'll be in the high 400's, low 500's and, depending on your class and spec, you could be in for a rough ride.

At 100 Varian Wrynn should appear in your garrison starting a quest that will send you to the Iron Docks, you'll free an NPC there and that will allow you to build a shipyard for your garrison. After some minor quests, a few minutes, you'll get the quest chain to begin the Tanaan invasion. After a few minor quests you'll get access to the Alliance hub and from there you ignore everything and go farm some gear tokens and treasures.

Use the weapon and armor/trinket tab to come up with a hit list of gear you want to get in Tanaan from treasures...
http://www.wowhead.com/guides/tanaan-jungle/treasures-by-type-and-stats

Gear tokens can be farmed from purple crystals that spawn around the Temple of Kra'Nak, although it may be hard to compete for them without flying. These can net you 650 gear for your class/spec. Even just a few pieces will help.

You don't have to do any of this but you will have a better time entering into Legion content if you do. I rushed through on a toon from WoD to Legion at 98 with crap gear and it sucked in the beginning.

Thanks for the advice, it was really useful. I'm 105 now and going through each Legion zone to completion (max story progress in each is what I'm counting as completion right now... so the map/quests says 7/7 complete for an area for example). Really enjoying it, cool to be back in Dalaran too, I enjoyed this city in my time playing through the WotLK content a week or two back. I'll likely hit 110 by this weekend. Loving the artifact - whoever I do have a question about them... I've got a second and will be doing a thrid quest to get the other two items for my classes specs artifiacts, can I display these in my class hall at all or are they just going to be stuck in my inventory/bank?

Talking of class halls, I really like the one I have (Hunter) its fun to see other hunters running about with their pets too. Quest lines seem more streamlined and focused - Saw some awesome cutscenes last night which really wow'd me. Also everytime I hear Khadgar speak all I can think of is Bra'tac from Stargate... same actor/voice actor.

I've been to nearly all the zones in Legion (I've flown/flight pointed over Suramar but not been there yet as its 110 content) and they're gorgeous. I like how you can visit them in any order and are not stuck to a specific list of go here first and then here, it's nice. I've heard good things about Suramar and holy shit does that place look intense from above, its humungous. It's probably the biggest questing city I've seen from above... ever.

I believe that there's the Legionfall stuff and then Suramar to do at 110 but I guess there's more too (world quests and such) so that'l be fun. I've really felt a breath of fresh air playing Legion stuff after not been blown away by Draenor (it was pretty and had its moments).

Yeah the comps used to actually kill KJ showed that the boss required way too much class stacking for movement and survivability which is why they had so many rogues

I think the issue here is that they didn't do something along these lines much sooner (maybe not as drastic, but less Armageddon soaks for instance). By all accounts this boss was just absolutely broken from the start. Even Method said they had 350 wipes before the boss was in a state that they could even progress on it, and that's with significant class stacking. apparently some of the timings were just ridiculous and effectively impossible due to RNG.

I'd be pissed too if I spent so much time on a boss that clearly either didn't get any significant in house testing or was bugged to hell, only for them to fix it this far in. Hard to not feel like a beta tester. Why not fix it 10 days ago?

Bugs / tuning issues are to be expected but this seems to be of the cases where the devs just completely dropped the ball.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Blizz really needs to add more slots to Hunter stables, i just filtered my favorite pets on Petopia and ended up with 82 pets :/

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
some of you guys use elvui right? how do I turn off this shit that pops up above mine and the enemy health bars, its basically counting down all the debuffs and shit on them and its super distracting and takes up a bunch of screen

BiffUoq.png

Bregor

I think the issue here is that they didn't do something along these lines much sooner (maybe not as drastic, but less Armageddon soaks for instance). By all accounts this boss was just absolutely broken from the start. Even Method said they had 350 wipes before the boss was in a state that they could even progress on it, and that's with significant class stacking. apparently some of the timings were just ridiculous and effectively impossible due to RNG.

I'd be pissed too if I spent so much time on a boss that clearly either didn't get any significant in house testing or was bugged to hell, only for them to fix it this far in. Hard to not feel like a beta tester. Why not fix it 10 days ago?

Bugs / tuning issues are to be expected but this seems to be of the cases where the devs just completely dropped the ball.

I don't expect content to be balanced for less than 1% of the playing population. I'm satisfied if it is properly tuned when most of the intended audience reaches it, which it will be. Guilds that push the envelope should expect problems with tuning - how much time does Blizzard have to adjust it for the handful of guilds that will be involved in the world first race? IMO, they should be satisfied that Blizzard puts effort into it at all.

Syf

Banned
some of you guys use elvui right? how do I turn off this shit that pops up above mine and the enemy health bars, its basically counting down all the debuffs and shit on them and its super distracting and takes up a bunch of screen
If you go into the elvui menu, expand the unitframes section, select whichever frames you want to change, and then each of those also has its own pull-down menu. Select buffs and debuffs and you can customize everything. In there should be what you're looking for. I think if you want to get rid of that stuff altogether you can probably just uncheck the enable box.

I've heard good things about Suramar and holy shit does that place look intense from above, its humungous. It's probably the biggest questing city I've seen from above... ever.
I loved the whole Suramar storyline. Only drawback for me was that you need a lot of rep to complete it.

I don't expect content to be balanced for less than 1% of the playing population. I'm satisfied if it is properly tuned when most of the intended audience reaches it, which it will be. Guilds that push the envelope should expect problems with tuning - how much time does Blizzard have to adjust it for the handful of guilds that will be involved in the world first race? IMO, they should be satisfied that Blizzard puts effort into it at all.
You make it seem like such a burden that Blizzard be expected to release content that's is tested and tuned in a reasonable manner.

If the only thing that matters is that it's fixed for the larger portion of players, then why release it all in that state? Why waste anybody's time? Most potential answers here support the feeling like a beta tester frame of mind.

Bregor

You make it seem like such a burden that Blizzard be expected to release content that's is tested and tuned in a reasonable manner.

That's right, it is a burden to release content tuned for a minuscule proportion of their player base.

If the only thing that matters is that it's fixed for the larger portion of players, then why release it all in that state? Why waste anybody's time? Most potential answers here support the feeling like a beta tester frame of mind.

Because Blizzard is more generous than they should be. Essentially my position is that Method and Exodus should be glad that Blizzard facilitates the world first race in any way at all. They go to the trouble of providing content that is initially tuned at a level such that it provides enough challenge even for the very best players in the world to overcome it.

If Blizzard was less munificent then it would just be released at the proper level of tuning that would be a reasonable challenge to most mythic guilds, and the world first race would degenerate into essentially a speed run in the first couple of hours after the raid opens.

World first guilds should be happy enough that the opportunity exists, and be understanding if there are sometimes miscalculations that take time to correct.

That's right, it is a burden to release content tuned for a minuscule proportion of their player base.

Because Blizzard is more generous than they should be. Essentially my position is that Method and Exodus should be glad that Blizzard facilitates the world first race in any way at all. They go to the trouble of providing content that is initially tuned at a level such that it provides enough challenge even for the very best players in the world to overcome it.

If Blizzard was less munificent then it would just be released at the proper level of tuning that would be a reasonable challenge to most mythic guilds, and the world first race would degenerate into essentially a speed run in the first couple of hours after the raid opens.

World first guilds should be happy enough that the opportunity exists, and be understanding if there are sometimes miscalculations that take time to correct.
Yeah, should really thank Blizzard for being so kind to fix their own software so it works in the intended manner. Honestly they are too generous.

Please.

World first races are not an intended feature of mythic raiding, but I'm sure you knew that.
I'm sure you know they intend the bosses to be completable. You know, because they are professionals who take pride in their work.

The great thing is that internally they aren't likely to be making excuses for themselves but instead aiming to do better with the next raid.

Bregor

I'm sure you know they intend the bosses to be completable. You know, because they are professionals who take pride in their work.

It is because of the world first race that KJ was so severely overtuned. If they had simply designed him to be a final boss for a typical mythic raiding guild, the problem would not have existed in the first place.

The easiest solution for them would be to do exactly that, but it would kill the world first race in the process. Making the extra effort to temporarily provide the opportunity for the WF race _is_ generous.

The great thing is that internally they aren't likely to be making excuses for themselves but instead aiming to do better with the next raid.

I agree, and I don't object to Method or Exorsus pointing out that KJ was initially badly overtuned even for them. Exorsus is going beyond just that however, and using some fairly loaded language in attacking Blizzard.

If your guild is predicated on participating in an activity that is an afterthought to content, you should not be surprised if you run into glitches. And while commenting on those glitches be polite and don't act as if this was a promised feature of the game.

There is absolutely no way any internal team tested mythic KJ, unless they were in some GM ilvl 1000+ gear with speed hacks, based on those pre-nerf values/timings. "Yeah works fine guys, good job, let em at it!"

iFirez

I loved the whole Suramar storyline. Only drawback for me was that you need a lot of rep to complete it.

Does this mean you have to grind rep with Suramar to unlock more quests in the storyline? I'm assuming there's a lot of quests that give rep too? Anyway to boost this and make sure I'm getting the most rep every day to make sure when I do start Suramar questing I get to progress in its storyline the quickest?

Suramar rep grind really killed the momentum I had going with my main character. Everything else seems in place to unlock flying (I guess Warden rep sucks too), but this long wait seems pointless. World quests seemed like a nice step up from dailies, but it's now right back to that same old repetitive feeling. Not sure flying is worth me investing all that time in, when I'm having so much fun doing other things in the game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Watching that KJ kill video brings back my memories of playing WoW. I remember all those nights of Sarth3D, Algalon, Lich King...I stopped playing for a while, gave Panda a try (made a Brewmaster even), but I just can't set aside hours a night to raid. And that's too bad, because raiding (even with 10) was such a fantastic experience. So many memories.

I'm always curious about how much time you have to set aside to enjoy the raids anymore. Are they still big 3+ hour commitments multiple times a night if you're aiming to full clear in a lock out?

Syf

Banned
Does this mean you have to grind rep with Suramar to unlock more quests in the storyline? I'm assuming there's a lot of quests that give rep too? Anyway to boost this and make sure I'm getting the most rep every day to make sure when I do start Suramar questing I get to progress in its storyline the quickest?
Make sure you're leveling your order hall champions because you can do missions for rep tokens. Do world quests there especially the blue ones. You can repeat the withered training for a good bit of rep depending how far you get. Kirin Tor world quests can give you a Nightfallen cache too. And yeah there's lots of quests along the way, but the very last one requires 20k/21k revered.

Dugna

Watching that KJ kill video brings back my memories of playing WoW. I remember all those nights of Sarth3D, Algalon, Lich King...I stopped playing for a while, gave Panda a try (made a Brewmaster even), but I just can't set aside hours a night to raid. And that's too bad, because raiding (even with 10) was such a fantastic experience. So many memories.

I'm always curious about how much time you have to set aside to enjoy the raids anymore. Are they still big 3+ hour commitments multiple times a night if you're aiming to full clear in a lock out?

For mythic yes, for normal/heroic no, have some competent people and they can full clear normal and heroic in one night no problems.

Its obvious but I don't reccomend doing LFR for any kind of "raid" feel, esspecially Tomb, they have gutted several bosses in weird ways. like Desolate host not having the desolate host in it, maiden not having color sides till orbs come out, and avatar not even having the maiden soak mech in the fight.

Top Bottom